|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe is the cause of mental illness?
(a) Mental illness is chemically based.
(b) A cold is the main cause of mental illness.
(c) Early trauma causes mental illness.
(d) Mental illness is caused by the sufferer's environment.
2. In what year does the author's father die?
3. Why does Vonnegut like to write pieces for Architectural Digest?
(a) As a tribute to his father and grandfather.
(b) He is an architect.
(c) As a tribute to his son, Mark.
(d) He loves architecture.
4. Vonnegut Sr. is denied his dreams by what event?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) September 11, 2001.
5. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
(a) He is already at the party.
(b) He is not at home.
(c) He is dead of a heart attack.
(d) He does not answer the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Father desperate for uncritical female friendship?
2. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
3. What mental illness does the author's son suffer and recover from?
4. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
5. What does Vonnegut create during his summers at Lake Maxincuckee in southern Indiana?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)