|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Heart of Darkness.
(b) Land of Darkness.
(c) The Dark Continent.
(d) Deep in Darkness.
2. How are Vonnegut and Elie Wiesel the same?
(a) They both have pet dogs.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are both Jewish.
(d) They share a German surname.
3. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
(c) Corporal punishment.
4. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
(a) He lacks a way to let readers off the hook.
(b) He never attempts to tell jokes.
(c) He is skilled at letting readers off the hook.
(d) His jokes are immature and childish.
5. Vonnegut believes that the goal in the U.S. is only to train intelligent, well-educated people to do what?
(a) Speak rudely and arrogantly.
(b) Speak slowly and carefully.
(c) Speak stupidly and gain popularity.
(d) Speak cautiously and quietly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut tell Hemingway scholars defines his fellow Midwesterner?
2. What does Vonnegut believe it is time to hear?
3. Those with addiction eventually hit rock bottom. Vonnegut believes Western Civilization hit rock bottom in World War I. Unlike those with addictions who admit that their addiction is ruining their lives, how does Western Civilization react to hitting rock bottom?
4. To what author's work does Vonnegut compare the Bill of Rights' First Amendment?
5. What happens to all writers?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)