|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe is the cause of mental illness?
(a) Mental illness is caused by the sufferer's environment.
(b) Early trauma causes mental illness.
(c) Mental illness is chemically based.
(d) A cold is the main cause of mental illness.
2. What do Vonnegut's grown children jointly own?
(a) The lake house.
(b) Their childhood home.
(c) A publishing house.
(d) A condominium in New York City.
3. Vonnegut believes that the goal in the U.S. is only to train intelligent, well-educated people to do what?
(a) Speak rudely and arrogantly.
(b) Speak slowly and carefully.
(c) Speak cautiously and quietly.
(d) Speak stupidly and gain popularity.
4. What is the best reason for why Vonnegut's family keeps his mother's insanity and suicide a secret?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are saddened by her illness and death.
(c) They are hoping to avoid repelling prospective in-laws.
(d) They are in denial.
5. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
(b) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(c) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
(d) He does not like the how it ends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
2. What does Vonnegut believe is the United State's only true art form prior to Jackson Pollock's work?
3. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
4. The Attorney General's Commission believes that sufferers of what disease get what they deserve?
5. What does Vonnegut assert is often Hemingway's male characters' greatest reward?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)