|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is an organization that encourages country living.
(b) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
(c) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(d) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
2. Why does the Spanish Civil War give Hemingway material rather than World War I?
(a) The Spanish Civial War has more exciting battles than World War I.
(b) Americans are too upset by World War I.
(c) The U.S. enters World War I too late to have war stories.
(d) Hemingway knows more about the Spanish Civil War than World War I.
3. Vonnegut defends what freedom?
(a) Freedom of speech.
(b) Freedom of religion.
(c) Freedom of the press.
(d) Freedom of assembly.
4. What does Vonnegut tell 1990 graduates of the University of Rhode Island?
(a) Colleges should spread the important stuff over four years, instead of saving it all up for the very end.
(b) He wishes he could have been a graduate of the University of Rhode Island.
(c) They should enjoy this day, because real life begins tomorrow.
(d) College is a waste of time, and they should make the world their university.
5. Vonnegut references what Biblical story to his belief that people find life too hard and disappointing to act on repairing it?
(a) The Last Supper, with Jesus accusing Mark instead of Judas.
(b) Noah's Ark, as a sinking vessel with half its animals already dead.
(c) Adam and Eve not taking a bite from the forbidden fruit.
(d) Buddha sitting by the tree, but not becoming enlightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Vonnegut's jokes not funny?
2. Why did Jane Cox's relatives question her marriage to Vonnegut?
3. How is the character Bill Pilgrim different from Joe Crone?
4. Who does Vonnegut marry in 1979?
5. What limits Algren's popularity?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)