|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut's late grandfather, Bernard, whom Vonnegut never meets, scorn?
(a) His birthplace, Indianapolis.
(b) His high school, Warren Central.
(c) His grandchildren.
(d) His son, Kurt Vonnegut Sr..
2. Why does Vonnegut miss his 50th high school reunion?
(a) He contracts Lyme disease.
(b) He forgets the date of his reunion.
(c) His plane is delayed.
(d) He catches pneumonia.
3. What does Vonnegut assert is often Hemingway's male characters' greatest reward?
(a) Winning the heart of a woman.
(b) Males feeling love for one another in proximity to danger.
(c) Becoming enlightened.
(d) Winning a battle.
4. Vonnegut is enthusiastic about Pollock's work, but what does he feel is missing from Pollock's paintings?
(a) Human figures.
(b) A horizon.
5. What is the definition of this society of which Dr. Robert Redfield speaks?
(a) It is isolated geographically and members agree on what life is about and behave uniformly.
(b) It is an organization that encourages country living.
(c) It is an organization that teaches folk dances of various cultures.
(d) It is a wide-spread belief in diversity and acceptance of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
2. Does Vonnegut believe that most civilians can be considered a "well-regulated militia?"
3. What do the free speech provisions of the First Amendment make Vonnegut want to do?
4. How much does Vonnegut believe is enough to make a masterpiece? Beyond that, it is like empty talk at the end of a party.
5. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)