|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sufferers of what deficiency seek to become members of a crazy artificial extended family?
(a) Gluten Deficiency.
(b) Auto-Immune Deficiency.
(c) Folk Society Deficiency.
(d) Vitamin B Deficiency.
2. Why does Vonnegut feel out of intellectual step with his new neighbors in Cape Cod?
(a) He is an Anglo-Saxon.
(b) He is not as intelligent as others in Cape Cod.
(c) He is not as wealthy as other in Cape Cod.
(d) He is a non-Anglo-Saxon.
3. Why does Vonnegut feel lucky to have been born in Indianapolis?
(a) It is a beautiful city.
(b) He treasures the friendships he made in Indianapolis.
(c) He receives a rich and humane primary and secondary education.
(d) Indianapolis is the center of the art world.
4. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
(a) Land of Darkness.
(b) Deep in Darkness.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) The Dark Continent.
5. What happens to all writers?
(a) They grow to be better writers.
(b) They become more famous with age.
(c) Their stories grow more optimistic with each passing year.
(d) They grow dated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
2. What does Vonnegut say happens to American literary history, that "generations" of writers are separated by less than twenty years?
3. What limits Algren's popularity?
4. What do the free speech provisions of the First Amendment make Vonnegut want to do?
5. Vonnegut is the third person in his family to have a one-person show and the second to put in time in a "laughing academy." What is he the first to do?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)