|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Algren that keeps Vonnegut from asking if Rushdie may join them at his party?
(a) He is dead of a heart attack.
(b) He does not answer the phone.
(c) He is not at home.
(d) He is already at the party.
2. Whose art does Father celebrate, as if it is a Pieta or Sistine chapel ceiling?
3. What does Vonnegut believe is declining but could return?
(b) Corporal punishment.
4. What does Pollock use to control his hands when he paints?
(a) Ideas from critics.
(b) A painter's machine.
(d) Early sketches.
5. Why is Algren bitter over his masterpiece, The Man with the Golden Arm?
(a) He receives very little for his masterpiece.
(b) He does not like the how it ends.
(c) He fears he will not be able to create another masterpiece.
(d) He does not think it is a masterpiece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut believe it is time to hear?
2. Who is the Cody, Wyoming, artist who is America's foremost adventurer in the Abstract Expressionist movement?
3. In which art form does Father show promise before the Great Depression?
4. What Joseph Conrad novel depicts whites as highly evolved and others as monkeys without tails?
5. What does Vonnegut's late grandfather, Bernard, whom Vonnegut never meets, scorn?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)