|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mathilde allergic to?
2. What does the moderator, Lotto, and the other participants in the symposium in Chapter 7 of Fates drink before the event?
3. What is Mathilde wearing at the beginning of Fates: Chapter 1?
4. Why does the main character say he is unhappy in Chapter 8 of Fates?
5. In Chapter 7 of Fates where had Lotto eaten breakfast before the symposium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lotto feel when Mathilde tells him he can be a playwright?
2. Why does Lotto feel that Mathilde needs her sleep toward the end of 'Fates, Chapter 3' when he is awake using his laptop?
3. Why were Lotto's comments at the symposium just a small bit of news that doesn't last long?
4. What happens when a man comes to speak to Lotto after his play "Eleanor of Aquitaine"?
5. What does Mathilde say is Lotto's gift and why?
6. In Chapter 10 of Fates, what does Lotto imagine his mother tells him about marriage?
7. What does Phoebe Delmar think of Lotto's play, "Gacy"?
8. Where does Chapter 9 of Fates take place?
9. Who are the main characters in "Ship of Fools"?
10. In Chapter 9 of Fates, what does Chollie ask a bartender to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lotto's mother died. How was Lotto affected by the death of his mother and why was he affected in that way?
Essay Topic 2
Mathilde never sees her parents again after her brother dies. In what ways does Mathilde experience abandonment during her life and how does that affect her relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Lotto dies. How does Mathilde deal with her grief and why does her grief consume her to the point where she struggles with everyday life?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)