|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
3. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
2. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
5. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
6. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
9. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
10. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)