|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
2. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
3. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
4. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
5. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
2. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
3. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
4. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
5. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
6. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
7. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
8. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
9. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
10. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
Essay Topic 2
You have learned about tone and mood. Please define both tone and mood. What are the differences? What are the similarities? What is one example of each that you can recall from "Fate Is the Hunter." Please make sure to list what has set the tone or mood in the example you are providing. How do tone and mood affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)