|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
2. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
3. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
5. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
3. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
4. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
5. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
6. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
9. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
10. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)