|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
2. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
3. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
5. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
3. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
4. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
5. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
6. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
9. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
10. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)