|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
2. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
3. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
4. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
5. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
2. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
3. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
4. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
5. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
6. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
9. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
10. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 3
We have learned about point of view. What is point of view, and what are the three major types of point of view? Did you enjoy the point of view that "Fate Is the Hunter" was written in---why or why not? Was it an effective way to portray the story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)