|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
2. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
3. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
4. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
5. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
2. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
3. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
4. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
5. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
6. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
9. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
10. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
Essay Topic 2
We have studied the literary terms of protagonist and antagonist. Please define what a protagonist and antagonist are. Provide an example of each, and discuss the relationship between the two that causes one to be the protagonist of the story and the other to be an antagonist in the story.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)