|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Steensville located?
2. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
3. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
4. How is Dudley described in the novel?
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
Short Essay Questions
1. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
2. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
3. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
4. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
5. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
6. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
7. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
10. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weather is a common theme in the novel. Why is weather so important in this novel? How does weather seem to affect Gann and other pilots? Give three examples of weather having an effect or being an important factor in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
We have learned about point of view. What is point of view, and what are the three major types of point of view? Did you enjoy the point of view that "Fate Is the Hunter" was written in---why or why not? Was it an effective way to portray the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)