|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Steensville located?
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
3. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
4. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
5. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
2. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
5. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
6. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
7. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
8. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
9. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
10. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
Essay Topic 2
We have learned about point of view. What is point of view, and what are the three major types of point of view? Did you enjoy the point of view that "Fate Is the Hunter" was written in---why or why not? Was it an effective way to portray the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)