|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
3. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
5. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
3. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
4. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
5. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
6. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
7. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
8. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
9. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
10. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We have studied the literary terms of protagonist and antagonist. Please define what a protagonist and antagonist are. Provide an example of each, and discuss the relationship between the two that causes one to be the protagonist of the story and the other to be an antagonist in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)