|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
2. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
3. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
4. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
2. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
3. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
4. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
5. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
6. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
9. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
10. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 3
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)