|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
2. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
3. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
4. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
5. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
2. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
3. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
4. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
7. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
8. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
9. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
10. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)