|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
2. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
3. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
4. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
2. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
3. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
4. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
5. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
6. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
7. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
8. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
9. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
10. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)