|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
2. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
3. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
5. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
2. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
3. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
4. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
5. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
6. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
7. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
8. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
9. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
10. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)