|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
2. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
3. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
4. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
5. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
2. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
3. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
4. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
5. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
6. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
7. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
8. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
9. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
10. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)