|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
2. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
3. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
4. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
5. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
2. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
5. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
6. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
7. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
8. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
9. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
10. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Gann is considered a dynamic character. What is a dynamic character? How does Gann meet the qualifications of a dynamic character? Use at least three examples from the story that illustrate the idea that Gann is a dynamic character.
Essay Topic 3
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)