|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
2. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
3. How is Dudley described in the novel?
4. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
5. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
2. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
7. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
10. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)