|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
2. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
3. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
4. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
Essay Topic 3
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)