|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dudley described in the novel?
2. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
3. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
4. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
5. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
Short Essay Questions
1. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
2. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
3. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
4. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
5. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
6. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
7. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
8. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Prologues are commonly used across literature. Please define what a prologue is. In "Fate Is the Hunter," how does Gann use the prologue? What information does Gann's prologue convey? Was it necessary in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)