|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
2. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
4. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
5. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
3. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
4. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
5. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
6. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
7. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
8. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
9. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
10. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
Weather is a common theme in the novel. Why is weather so important in this novel? How does weather seem to affect Gann and other pilots? Give three examples of weather having an effect or being an important factor in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
We have learned about point of view. What is point of view, and what are the three major types of point of view? Did you enjoy the point of view that "Fate Is the Hunter" was written in---why or why not? Was it an effective way to portray the story?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)