|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
2. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
3. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
5. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
3. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
4. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
5. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
6. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
7. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
8. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
9. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
10. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
Essay Topic 2
Prologues are commonly used across literature. Please define what a prologue is. In "Fate Is the Hunter," how does Gann use the prologue? What information does Gann's prologue convey? Was it necessary in this book?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)