|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
2. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
3. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
5. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
2. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
3. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
4. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
5. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
6. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
7. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
8. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
9. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
10. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 2
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Weather is a common theme in the novel. Why is weather so important in this novel? How does weather seem to affect Gann and other pilots? Give three examples of weather having an effect or being an important factor in the novel.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)