|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to having the visibility limitations on, what type of takeoff does Gann decide to do when leaving for Goose Bay?
2. Emotionally, how does Gann feel about finally being promoted to pilot?
3. Which two pilots does Gann mention in chapter 7 have recently died in a crash?
4. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
5. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
2. What is Gann's view of his promotion to pilot?
3. What has caused Gann's oil line to erupt on his flight from Belem?
4. Pilots are assigned a seniority number. Why is this number important?
5. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
6. How does Gann spend his trans-Atlantic flight?
7. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
8. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
9. What are some tricks that Gann learns from Ross?
10. What does the flight school aim to teach its students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prologues are commonly used across literature. Please define what a prologue is. In "Fate Is the Hunter," how does Gann use the prologue? What information does Gann's prologue convey? Was it necessary in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)