|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
2. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
3. Which word best describes the flight from Goose Bay to Greenland?
4. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
5. When Gann corrects the plane's altitude, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
2. What are some responsibilities that Gann will be doing while flying at Newark?
3. What are some of Keim's characteristics and qualities?
4. What role did Gann have during the wars?
5. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
6. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
7. Briefly describe Lester and his teaching style.
8. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
9. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
10. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis of Gann answering the following questions: what was Gann's role in the book; what was Gann like at the beginning of the novel; what was he like at the end of the novel; what changes (if any) took place in Gann as a character; and what actions, incidents, and so forth caused Gann to change?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)