Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
2. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
3. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
4. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
5. Which numbers are more senior to Gann's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
2. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
3. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
4. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
5. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
6. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
7. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
8. Who is Ernest Gann?
9. Describe the scene as Gann and his crew approach Greenland.
10. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis of Gann answering the following questions: what was Gann's role in the book; what was Gann like at the beginning of the novel; what was he like at the end of the novel; what changes (if any) took place in Gann as a character; and what actions, incidents, and so forth caused Gann to change?
Essay Topic 2
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)