|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two pilots does Gann mention in chapter 7 have recently died in a crash?
2. When the missing item cannot be located in Wilkes-Barre, what happens to the flight?
3. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
4. Whose methods and practices does flight school teach the pilots?
5. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the U.S. intend to further its aviation influence in South America?
2. What was Gann's responsibility as a co-pilot when they landed at Wilkes-Barre?
3. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
4. Trying to redeem himself for his landing in Syracuse, how does Gann handle his job raising the landing gear from Ross during the next takeoff?
5. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
6. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
7. How does Gann spend his trans-Atlantic flight?
8. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
9. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
10. How does Gann view the other pilots and their modesty about their flying abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
Essay Topic 2
We have learned about point of view. What is point of view, and what are the three major types of point of view? Did you enjoy the point of view that "Fate Is the Hunter" was written in---why or why not? Was it an effective way to portray the story?
Essay Topic 3
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)