Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
2. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
3. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
4. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
5. Which numbers are more senior to Gann's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
2. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
3. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
4. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
5. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
6. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
7. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
8. Who is Ernest Gann?
9. Describe the scene as Gann and his crew approach Greenland.
10. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
Throughout the novel, Gann provides substantial detail of the various planes that he flies or that are being developed. Please choose two planes, and 1) provide a physical description of the plane, 2) explain its use, 3) explain Gann's opinion on the plane, and 4) provide an example from the book of a situation where Gann was flying the plane and what happened. How did knowing so many additional technical explanations and details of the plane enhance the experience for the reader?
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)