|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
2. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
3. Which word best describes the flight from Goose Bay to Greenland?
4. Due to having the visibility limitations on, what type of takeoff does Gann decide to do when leaving for Goose Bay?
5. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does weather affect Gann's route in AM-21 and his ability to land at his stops?
2. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
3. How does Gann seem to feel about this seniority number?
4. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
5. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
6. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
7. Pilots are assigned a seniority number. Why is this number important?
8. How does Gann feel about flying the Douglas DC-2 and DC-3?
9. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
10. How does Gann spend his trans-Atlantic flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You have learned about tone and mood. Please define both tone and mood. What are the differences? What are the similarities? What is one example of each that you can recall from "Fate Is the Hunter." Please make sure to list what has set the tone or mood in the example you are providing. How do tone and mood affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Prologues are commonly used across literature. Please define what a prologue is. In "Fate Is the Hunter," how does Gann use the prologue? What information does Gann's prologue convey? Was it necessary in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)