|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keim expect from his new co-pilot?
2. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
3. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
4. How does Gann describe Ross' demeanor?
5. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some responsibilities that Gann will be doing while flying at Newark?
2. How does weather affect Gann's route in AM-21 and his ability to land at his stops?
3. Trying to redeem himself for his landing in Syracuse, how does Gann handle his job raising the landing gear from Ross during the next takeoff?
4. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
5. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
6. Why does Gann appreciate his shorter AM-21 route?
7. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
8. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
9. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
10. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
Essay Topic 1
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
You have learned about tone and mood. Please define both tone and mood. What are the differences? What are the similarities? What is one example of each that you can recall from "Fate Is the Hunter." Please make sure to list what has set the tone or mood in the example you are providing. How do tone and mood affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)