|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
2. What is the main load on the cargo planes that Gann pilots for the military when he first begins flying on their behalf?
3. What is the cargo load Gann and his crew are taking to Goose Bay?
4. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
5. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the flight school aim to teach its students?
2. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
3. Briefly describe Lester and his teaching style.
4. How does weather affect Gann's route in AM-21 and his ability to land at his stops?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. What happened on Gann's flight with Hughen to Nashville that could have nearly killed them?
7. What does Gann do with the abandoned German plane that he locates in South America on his initial flight over there?
8. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
9. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
10. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prologues are commonly used across literature. Please define what a prologue is. In "Fate Is the Hunter," how does Gann use the prologue? What information does Gann's prologue convey? Was it necessary in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
Essay Topic 3
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)