|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is America so intent on gaining influence in South America as World War II looms?
2. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
3. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
4. In Chapter 8, Gann is assigned a new flight crew on his cargo plane; which of the following men is not a member of Gann's new crew?
5. What type of pilot is Ross considered by other pilots and Gann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
2. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
3. What was Gann's responsibility as a co-pilot when they landed at Wilkes-Barre?
4. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
5. Describe the scene as Gann and his crew approach Greenland.
6. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
7. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
8. What are some tricks that Gann learns from Ross?
9. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
10. How does the U.S. intend to further its aviation influence in South America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis of Gann answering the following questions: what was Gann's role in the book; what was Gann like at the beginning of the novel; what was he like at the end of the novel; what changes (if any) took place in Gann as a character; and what actions, incidents, and so forth caused Gann to change?
Essay Topic 2
Setting is an important piece of a literary work. What is a setting? Why is setting essential to a novel? Explain why setting is important in "Fate Is the Hunter," and provide an example of the use of a setting in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)