|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
2. Where is Gann when he first hears of the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor?
3. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
4. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
5. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the U.S. intend to further its aviation influence in South America?
2. While flying over the jungles of South America in search of an airport, what random decision do Gann and his co-pilot make, and what is the outcome?
3. Briefly describe McIntosh and his teaching style.
4. What was Gann's responsibility as a co-pilot when they landed at Wilkes-Barre?
5. What does Gann do with the abandoned German plane that he locates in South America on his initial flight over there?
6. How does Gann's demonstration flight go when he first flies for McCabe?
7. What is Gann's view of his promotion to pilot?
8. How does Gann initially describe Goose Bay?
9. Briefly describe Lester and his teaching style.
10. How does Gann spend his trans-Atlantic flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)