|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ross seem to handle and respond to Gann's mistakes at Wilkes-Barre and various other stops on their first flight?
2. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
3. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
4. Gann spent some time between wars flying overseas; where did he fly?
5. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
2. How does Gann view the other pilots and their modesty about their flying abilities?
3. What is Gann's view of his promotion to pilot?
4. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
5. Why does Gann see Goose Bay, and other Northeastern locations, as important to the U.S military?
6. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
7. While flying over the jungles of South America in search of an airport, what random decision do Gann and his co-pilot make, and what is the outcome?
8. How does Gann seem to feel about this seniority number?
9. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
10. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You have learned about tone and mood. Please define both tone and mood. What are the differences? What are the similarities? What is one example of each that you can recall from "Fate Is the Hunter." Please make sure to list what has set the tone or mood in the example you are providing. How do tone and mood affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Do a character analysis of Gann answering the following questions: what was Gann's role in the book; what was Gann like at the beginning of the novel; what was he like at the end of the novel; what changes (if any) took place in Gann as a character; and what actions, incidents, and so forth caused Gann to change?
Essay Topic 3
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)