|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
2. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
3. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
4. In Chapter 8, Gann is assigned a new flight crew on his cargo plane; which of the following men is not a member of Gann's new crew?
5. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Gann have during the wars?
2. How does Gann feel about flying the Douglas DC-2 and DC-3?
3. Pilots are assigned a seniority number. Why is this number important?
4. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
5. What are some responsibilities that Gann will be doing while flying at Newark?
6. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
7. How does Gann's demonstration flight go when he first flies for McCabe?
8. How does Gann view the other pilots and their modesty about their flying abilities?
9. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
10. Briefly describe McIntosh and his teaching style.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We have studied the literary terms of protagonist and antagonist. Please define what a protagonist and antagonist are. Provide an example of each, and discuss the relationship between the two that causes one to be the protagonist of the story and the other to be an antagonist in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 3
Gann interacts with several characters throughout this novel. Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with, and provide a short description of the relationship between Gann and this character. Why was this relationship important to the story? What role did this relationship play in Gann's life and, therefore, the novel?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)