|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
2. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
3. On Gann's flight with Hughen, the plane begins to ice up and quickly loses altitude and speed. What is Gann's reaction to this?
4. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
5. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the flight school aim to teach its students?
2. Upon landing with his cargo at Goose Bay, what do Gann and his crew discover?
3. Trying to redeem himself for his landing in Syracuse, how does Gann handle his job raising the landing gear from Ross during the next takeoff?
4. What happened on Gann's flight with Hughen to Nashville that could have nearly killed them?
5. How does Gann's demonstration flight go when he first flies for McCabe?
6. What has caused Gann's oil line to erupt on his flight from Belem?
7. Who is Ernest Gann?
8. Who is Robbins?
9. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
10. What are some of Keim's characteristics and qualities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
Essay Topic 2
Gann is considered a dynamic character. What is a dynamic character? How does Gann meet the qualifications of a dynamic character? Use at least three examples from the story that illustrate the idea that Gann is a dynamic character.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a common idea in literature. Please define conflict, and choose one example of conflict from the text to describe and explain how this situation, relationship, and so forth is an example of conflict.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)