|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keim expect from his new co-pilot?
2. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
3. What modified and militarized plane is Gann flying when he makes his cargo flights?
4. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
5. How far off altitude was Gann's plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ernest Gann?
2. How does Gann view the other pilots and their modesty about their flying abilities?
3. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
4. What has caused Gann's oil line to erupt on his flight from Belem?
5. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
6. What does Gann do with the abandoned German plane that he locates in South America on his initial flight over there?
7. How does Gann describe Ross?
8. How does the U.S. intend to further its aviation influence in South America?
9. How does weather affect Gann's route in AM-21 and his ability to land at his stops?
10. Why does Gann see Goose Bay, and other Northeastern locations, as important to the U.S military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters that Gann interacts with in the story and compare and contrast Gann and that character. What are their similarities (if any)? What are their differences? How do they differ as pilots and as people?
Essay Topic 2
Now and then, Gann updates the reader on the status of the airline industry at the time. At the beginning of the book, what is the status of the airline industry? How does this seem to change throughout the novel? What various outside factors seem to affect the success of the aviation industry? At the end of the novel, how does the airline industry seem to be doing?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)