Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
2. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
3. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
4. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
5. Which numbers are more senior to Gann's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
2. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
3. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
4. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
5. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
6. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
7. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
8. Who is Ernest Gann?
9. Describe the scene as Gann and his crew approach Greenland.
10. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
Essay Topic 1
We have studied the literary terms of protagonist and antagonist. Please define what a protagonist and antagonist are. Provide an example of each, and discuss the relationship between the two that causes one to be the protagonist of the story and the other to be an antagonist in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Gann uses descriptive language throughout his novel. Explain the importance of descriptive language in a novel and what the purpose of such writing is? Provide multiple examples of Gann's use of descriptive language in the novel and how it affected the way readers interpreted the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)