|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
2. Generally, how do landings on Gann's Newark route seem to be executed?
3. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
4. Which numbers are more senior to Gann's?
5. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
2. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
3. Why does Gann see Goose Bay, and other Northeastern locations, as important to the U.S military?
4. What is Gann's view of his promotion to pilot?
5. How does Gann initially describe Goose Bay?
6. Describe the scene as Gann and his crew approach Greenland.
7. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
8. Why does Gann appreciate his shorter AM-21 route?
9. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
10. How does Gann view the other pilots and their modesty about their flying abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story has a large cast of minor or supporting characters. Choose three minor characters that you enjoyed the most. Provide a brief summary of each character, and note what his role was in relation to the main character. Why was this minor character important to the story or life of the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Gann is considered a dynamic character. What is a dynamic character? How does Gann meet the qualifications of a dynamic character? Use at least three examples from the story that illustrate the idea that Gann is a dynamic character.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ernest Gann mentions being "stalked by fate." What does Gann mean by being "stalked by fate"? Give three different examples from the novel of situations where Gann notes that he has been "stalked by fate."
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)