|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Gann is assigned a new flight crew on his cargo plane; which of the following men is not a member of Gann's new crew?
2. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
3. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
4. What is the main load on the cargo planes that Gann pilots for the military when he first begins flying on their behalf?
5. What factor determines whether all the stops on the route are reached?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Gann's flight with Hughen to Nashville that could have nearly killed them?
2. How does Gann's demonstration flight go when he first flies for McCabe?
3. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
4. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
5. Why does Gann appreciate his shorter AM-21 route?
6. How does Gann seem to feel about this seniority number?
7. Who is Ernest Gann?
8. Briefly describe Lester and his teaching style.
9. What has caused Gann's oil line to erupt on his flight from Belem?
10. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is an autobiography. Explain what an autobiography is. What is the difference between an autobiography and a memoir? Do you think that this novel would have been better if written in a different format (i.e., fiction, memoir, prose)?
Essay Topic 2
Tone is common in literature and in this autobiography. Please explain what tone is in a piece of literature and whether it is important. Please provide at least three examples of the use of tone in this novel, preferably examples of different types of tone used (i.e., angry, scared, tense, upset, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ernest Gann acts as both a commercial and civilian pilot. Compare and contrast the responsibilities, experiences, and roles of a commercial pilot and a civilian pilot. What situation caused Gann to become a civilian pilot?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)