|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
2. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
3. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(b) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(c) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(d) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
4. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) Simple and neat.
(b) A big beach home.
(c) Small but clean.
(d) Full of insects and vermin.
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(b) The back engines catch fire.
(c) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(d) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
2. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
3. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
4. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
5. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
3. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
4. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
7. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
8. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
9. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
10. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)