|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) A fuel line bursts.
(b) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(c) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(d) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
2. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) Over the right wing.
(b) In the cockpit.
(c) Over the left wing.
(d) In the tail section.
3. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(b) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(c) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(d) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
4. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(c) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
5. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
2. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
3. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
5. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
2. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
5. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
6. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
7. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
8. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)