|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
(b) Eject from the plane.
(c) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(d) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
2. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Return to San Francisco.
(b) Crash land in a nearby field.
(c) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(d) Land early at LAX.
3. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
4. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(b) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
(c) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
(d) It was coming from a loose seat.
5. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(c) In a landing gone wrong.
(d) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
2. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
3. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
4. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
5. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
2. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
3. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
4. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
5. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
6. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
7. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
8. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
9. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
10. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)