|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In a landing gone wrong.
(d) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
2. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Jet engines.
(c) Simpson 232.
3. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) Dangerous flying conditions.
(b) The short daylight hours.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) His distant location.
5. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) Over the right wing.
(b) In the tail section.
(c) Over the left wing.
(d) In the cockpit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
2. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
4. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
5. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
3. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
4. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
5. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
6. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
7. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
8. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)