|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(b) Prestwick, Scotland.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) London, England.
2. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) The landing gear will not retract.
(b) One of the wings loses a flap.
(c) The cabin depressurizes.
(d) Three engines begin to misfire.
3. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Very skilled.
(c) Friendly and well-meaning.
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(b) It hits a rough patch financially.
(c) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(d) It is considered a laughing stock.
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
2. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
3. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
5. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
2. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
3. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
4. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
5. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
6. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
7. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
8. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
9. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
10. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)