|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) Three engines begin to misfire.
(b) The landing gear will not retract.
(c) One of the wings loses a flap.
(d) The cabin depressurizes.
3. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
4. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
5. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They completed a trans-world flight.
(b) They just graduated from flight school.
(c) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(d) They just landed in Burbank as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
2. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
3. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
4. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
5. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
2. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
3. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
4. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
7. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
8. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
9. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
10. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)