|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
(b) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(c) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(d) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
2. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
(c) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(d) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
3. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 48 hours.
(d) 16 hours.
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Their two-week break to start.
(b) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(c) A meeting with the captain.
(d) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
5. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It is considered a laughing stock.
(b) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(c) It hits a rough patch financially.
(d) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
2. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
3. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
4. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
5. Where is Steensville located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
3. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
4. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
5. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
6. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)