|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
2. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
3. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) A fuel line bursts.
(b) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(c) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(d) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
4. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
5. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(b) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
2. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
3. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
4. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
5. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
2. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
3. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
4. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
5. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
6. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
7. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
10. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)