|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. Where is Steensville located?
(a) Edwards Island.
(d) Nova Scotia.
3. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) One of the wings loses a flap.
(b) Three engines begin to misfire.
(c) The cabin depressurizes.
(d) The landing gear will not retract.
4. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the cockpit.
(b) In the tail section.
(c) Over the right wing.
(d) Over the left wing.
5. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(b) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(c) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(d) He wants to end up just like Howe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
2. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
3. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
4. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
5. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
3. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
4. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
5. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
6. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
9. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
10. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)