|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(b) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(c) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(d) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
2. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
3. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They just graduated from flight school.
(b) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(c) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(d) They completed a trans-world flight.
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It is considered a laughing stock.
(b) It hits a rough patch financially.
(c) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(d) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
5. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Flight engineer.
(c) Radio operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
2. How is Dudley described in the novel?
3. Where is Steensville located?
4. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
5. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
2. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
3. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
4. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
7. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
8. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
9. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
10. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)