|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
2. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Land early at LAX.
(b) Crash land in a nearby field.
(c) Return to San Francisco.
(d) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
3. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(b) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(c) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(d) He wants to end up just like Howe.
4. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By radio beacon.
(b) By flares.
(c) Through Morse code.
(d) By advanced radar.
5. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(c) Gaya, India.
(d) Ascension Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
2. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
3. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
4. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
5. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
2. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
3. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
4. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
5. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
6. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
7. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
8. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
9. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
10. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)