|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It is considered a laughing stock.
(b) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(c) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(d) It hits a rough patch financially.
2. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(b) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(c) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(d) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
3. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(b) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(c) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(d) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
5. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
2. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
3. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
4. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
5. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
2. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
3. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
4. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
5. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
6. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
7. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
10. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)