|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
2. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(c) South American.
3. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) A clear view of the runway.
(b) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(c) The fire beginning to burn out.
(d) A small hole in the weather.
4. Where is Steensville located?
(b) Edwards Island.
(d) Nova Scotia.
5. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He wants to end up just like Howe.
(b) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(c) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(d) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
3. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
4. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
5. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
2. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
3. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
4. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
7. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
8. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)