|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(c) In a landing gone wrong.
(d) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
2. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
3. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(b) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(c) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(d) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
4. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
(b) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(c) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
(d) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
5. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
2. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
3. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
4. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
5. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
2. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
3. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
4. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
5. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
6. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
7. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
8. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
9. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
10. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)