|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(b) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(c) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(d) He wants to end up just like Howe.
2. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He does not mind it either way.
(b) He finds the route exciting.
(c) He likes the brevity of the route.
(d) He finds it stilting.
3. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(b) The fire beginning to burn out.
(c) A clear view of the runway.
(d) A small hole in the weather.
4. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Very skilled.
(b) Friendly and well-meaning.
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
3. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
5. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
2. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
3. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
4. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
5. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
6. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
7. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
8. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
9. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
10. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)