|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
2. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He wants to end up just like Howe.
(b) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(c) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(d) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
3. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(b) They just graduated from flight school.
(c) They completed a trans-world flight.
(d) They just landed in Burbank as well.
4. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(b) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(c) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(d) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
5. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
Short Answer Questions
1. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
2. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
3. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
4. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
2. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
3. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
4. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
5. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
6. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
7. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
10. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)