|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Flight engineer.
(d) Radio operator.
2. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(b) San Jose.
3. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(b) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(c) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(d) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
4. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 48 hours.
(b) 16 hours.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 days.
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
3. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
4. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
5. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
2. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
3. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
4. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
5. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
6. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
9. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
10. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)