|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Jet engines.
(b) Simpson 232.
2. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too boring.
(b) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(c) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(d) He finds it too strict.
3. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) Full of insects and vermin.
(b) Small but clean.
(c) A big beach home.
(d) Simple and neat.
4. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a landing gone wrong.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(d) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
5. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(d) South American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
2. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
3. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
4. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
5. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
2. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
3. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
4. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
5. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
6. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
9. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
10. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)