|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) A big beach home.
(b) Small but clean.
(c) Full of insects and vermin.
(d) Simple and neat.
2. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
3. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
5. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) A small forward baggage compartment.
(b) The back right wing.
(c) One of the engines.
(d) The airplane's tail.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
2. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
3. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
5. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
2. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
3. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
4. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
5. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
6. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
7. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
8. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
9. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
10. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)