|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) Four days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
2. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
3. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(b) He finds it too boring.
(c) He finds it too strict.
(d) He misses being a commercial pilot.
4. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He likes the brevity of the route.
(b) He does not mind it either way.
(c) He finds it stilting.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
5. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Simpson 232.
(c) Jet engines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
3. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
4. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
5. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
2. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
3. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
4. How does O'Connor's crash-landing symbolize Gann's being stalked by fate?
5. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
6. What happens on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu, causing the plane to have to stop the flight and return to San Francisco?
7. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
8. What emergency causes Gann to have to land his plane on his flight from Steensville?
9. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
10. How did his crash affect O'Connor in the long run?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)