|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
(d) Wake Island.
2. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
3. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(b) Ascension Island.
(c) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Gaya, India.
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(b) It is considered a laughing stock.
(c) It hits a rough patch financially.
(d) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
2. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
3. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
2. Why does O'Connor's flight from Goose Bay crash-land?
3. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
4. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
5. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
6. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
7. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
8. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
9. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
10. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)