|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He finds the route exciting.
(b) He finds it stilting.
(c) He likes the brevity of the route.
(d) He does not mind it either way.
2. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(b) San Jose.
3. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
4. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) Simple and neat.
(b) A big beach home.
(c) Small but clean.
(d) Full of insects and vermin.
5. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) General Mark Clark.
(b) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
(c) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) Captain John Dubois.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
4. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
5. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sloniger, and what is so special about him?
2. The British Air Force tells Gann his flight was in danger as they approached Iceland. Why were they in danger?
3. What is the weather situation during Gann's emergency landing back to Steensville? What does Gann do to land the plane?
4. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
5. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
6. After WWII, what war does Gann fly in, and how does he feel about his role as a pilot in this situation again?
7. What do the mechanics discover during their engine inspections that seem to be causing all the trouble on the DC-4?
8. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
9. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
10. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)