|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Five days.
(d) One week.
2. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(b) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
3. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
5. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) The Coast Guard is called in.
(b) He is airlifted out.
(c) Supplies are dropped to him.
(d) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
2. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
3. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
4. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
5. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dudley, and what is Gann's impression of him?
2. How does Gann feel about flying for the military when he first starts flying for them?
3. How do the rescue planes keep track of where O'Connor's downed plane is located?
4. Which route does Gann return to after his leave of absence, and what does he do there?
5. What does the stewardess complain of on Gann's flight to Burbank?
6. Descibe Gann's sketchy takeoff scenario as he begins his flight on a C-54 for a long-haul mission.
7. How does Gann describe his flights from California to Honolulu with the new airline he flies for?
8. What does Gann recall about his actions when he sees a plane crash on the runway in Assam?
9. What does Gann learn kept his flight safe on the way from Honolulu to Burbank despite the fact that they were missing a critical piece of equipment?
10. What stories does Gann tell Keim about his recent long-distance flight transporting Chinese cash?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)