|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the base where Gann lands in Greenland?
(c) St. John's Base.
(d) Baliss Bay.
2. In Chapter 6, how long does Gann see himself holding his pilot position?
(a) He thinks it will be short because he will be promoted again.
(b) He thinks he will be a pilot forever.
(c) He does not even think about it.
(d) He thinks it will not last long.
3. Heavy with fuel and equipment, what is the mph Gann's plane averages on the way to Greenland?
(a) 115 mph.
(b) 1,005 mph.
(c) 515 mph.
(d) 1,500 mph.
4. Which numbers are more senior to Gann's?
(a) Any number that ends in an odd number.
(b) Any number that is higher than his.
(c) Any number that ends in an even number.
(d) Any number that is lower than his.
5. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
(a) White-capped waves.
(c) Tops of icebergs.
(d) Pods of whales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ross begins using Zen-like techniques with Gann to do what?
2. Due to having the visibility limitations on, what type of takeoff does Gann decide to do when leaving for Goose Bay?
3. Which aircraft were the students primarily taught to fly?
4. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
5. Why is America so intent on gaining influence in South America as World War II looms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ernest Gann?
2. What are some of Keim's characteristics and qualities?
3. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
4. Upon landing with his cargo at Goose Bay, what do Gann and his crew discover?
5. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
6. How does Gann spend his trans-Atlantic flight?
7. What are some tricks that Gann learns from Ross?
8. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
9. How does Gann seem to feel about this seniority number?
10. Gann is stationed in Maine as a civilian pilot. What does he do as a civilian pilot while stationed there?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)