|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Gann when he first hears of the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor?
(c) Santa Barbara.
(d) San Juan.
2. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
(c) West Nile virus.
(d) Yellow fever.
3. What does Gann spend his time as a pilot doing?
(a) He spends time alone, interacting with no one.
(b) He spends time getting to know the crew.
(c) He spends time greeting passengers and being friendly.
(d) He spends as much time as possible working on his landing.
4. How does the author describe Keim's physical appearance?
(a) He is stocky and broad.
(b) He is short and weak.
(c) He is tall and slender.
(d) He is lanky but strong.
5. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He panics and does nothing.
(b) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
(c) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
(d) He turns the plane over to Gann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these men did not attend flight school with Gann?
2. What type of adverse weather is Gann's flying route used to experiencing?
3. What type of routes are the men being trained to fly?
4. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
5. What is the main load on the cargo planes that Gann pilots for the military when he first begins flying on their behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gann handle the landing at Syracuse?
2. What does Gann do with the abandoned German plane that he locates in South America on his initial flight over there?
3. What is one thing Gann likes about the occasional long route from Newark to Chicago?
4. How does Gann describe Ross?
5. How is Ross viewed as a pilot by others on the route?
6. Over time, how does Ross begin to treat Gann?
7. What role did Gann have during the wars?
8. What are some of Keim's characteristics and qualities?
9. What is Gann's view of his promotion to pilot?
10. How does Gann feel about flying the Douglas DC-2 and DC-3?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)