|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 6, what does the reader learn about the need for pilots on Gann's route?
(a) His route is fine with pilots.
(b) His route needs pilots.
(c) His route has a surplus of pilots.
(d) His route needs more co-pilots.
2. Upon landing at Wilkes-Barre, what item can Gann not locate?
(a) The mailbag.
(b) The cargo door.
(c) His headphone.
(d) The breaks.
3. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Verbally insults him.
(c) Encourages him.
(d) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
4. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He turns the plane over to Gann.
(b) He panics and does nothing.
(c) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
(d) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
5. Why does Gann decide against requesting a transfer away from Ross?
(a) Because Ross will retire soon, and Gann will be the pilot.
(b) Because he and Ross work well together.
(c) Because there is no one else to transfer to.
(d) Because flying with Ross is an honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 6, how many pilots and co-pilots does Gann mention are killed in crashes?
2. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
3. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
4. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
5. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. While flying over the jungles of South America in search of an airport, what random decision do Gann and his co-pilot make, and what is the outcome?
2. Who is Ernest Gann?
3. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
4. What are some responsibilities that Gann will be doing while flying at Newark?
5. Upon landing with his cargo at Goose Bay, what do Gann and his crew discover?
6. How does Gann initially describe Goose Bay?
7. Why does Gann appreciate his shorter AM-21 route?
8. What does the flight school aim to teach its students?
9. What does Gann learn about Ross' childhood?
10. What type of novel is "Fate Is the Hunter"?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)