|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
(a) Night vision.
(b) Flying low and close to the ground.
(c) Positioning the seat for maximum visibility.
(d) Flying high and above the weather.
2. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
(a) He enjoys these new techniques.
(b) He does not even notice they are happening.
(c) He thinks that they are quite fun.
(d) He finds them obnoxious.
3. What does Ross reveal when he hears Gann is not Army-taught as a pilot?
(a) He believes everyone should be Army-taught.
(b) That he only flies with Army-taught pilots.
(c) That he does not know what Army-taught means.
(d) That he is not Army-taught, either.
4. How does Ross seem to handle and respond to Gann's mistakes at Wilkes-Barre and various other stops on their first flight?
(a) He is tolerant.
(b) He is angry and yells.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is mocking and rude.
5. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
(a) Pacific Ocean.
(b) Indian Ocean.
(c) Arctic Ocean.
(d) Atlantic Ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the missing item cannot be located in Wilkes-Barre, what happens to the flight?
2. What area is Gann assigned to upon graduation?
3. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
4. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
5. What type of aircraft does Gann enjoy flying because it is easy and new?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of special school is Gann invited to and what happens when he attends?
2. Pilots are assigned a seniority number. Why is this number important?
3. How does weather affect Gann's route in AM-21 and his ability to land at his stops?
4. Trying to redeem himself for his landing in Syracuse, how does Gann handle his job raising the landing gear from Ross during the next takeoff?
5. Briefly describe the near death situation Gann and his co-pilot Beattie faced as noted in the novel's prologue.
6. How does Gann's demonstration flight go when he first flies for McCabe?
7. While flying over the jungles of South America in search of an airport, what random decision do Gann and his co-pilot make, and what is the outcome?
8. What happened on Gann's flight with Hughen to Nashville that could have nearly killed them?
9. How does Gann feel about flying the Douglas DC-2 and DC-3?
10. How does Gann's crew recover their takeoff when the cargo that they are flying to Goose Bay causes the plane to nearly stall? What does Gann learn from this experience?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)