|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(b) Very skilled.
(c) Friendly and well-meaning.
2. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
3. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the tail section.
(b) Over the left wing.
(c) In the cockpit.
(d) Over the right wing.
4. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) He is airlifted out.
(b) The Coast Guard is called in.
(c) Supplies are dropped to him.
(d) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
5. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(b) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(c) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(d) He wants to end up just like Howe.
6. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(b) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(c) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(d) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
7. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(b) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
(c) A fuel line bursts.
(d) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
8. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
9. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(b) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(c) It hits a rough patch financially.
(d) It is considered a laughing stock.
10. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
(b) It was coming from a loose seat.
(c) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(d) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
11. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By radio beacon.
(b) Through Morse code.
(c) By flares.
(d) By advanced radar.
12. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(b) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(c) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(d) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
13. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Commercial trips.
(b) Long-haul missions.
(c) Stealth military routes.
(d) Short drop-offs.
14. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
15. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(b) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(c) In a landing gone wrong.
(d) In a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
2. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
3. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
4. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
5. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)