|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(b) They just graduated from flight school.
(c) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(d) They completed a trans-world flight.
2. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(b) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(c) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
(d) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
3. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) Two engines.
(b) A greater cargo capacity.
(c) An increased cruising range.
(d) Better fuel capacity.
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
6. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Short drop-offs.
(b) Commercial trips.
(c) Long-haul missions.
(d) Stealth military routes.
7. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(b) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(c) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(d) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
8. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Very skilled.
(d) Friendly and well-meaning.
9. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
(b) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(c) Their two-week break to start.
(d) A meeting with the captain.
10. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Radio operator.
(d) Flight engineer.
11. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
12. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Eject from the plane.
(b) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
(c) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
(d) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
13. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Bad wiring.
(b) Pilot error.
(c) Ice formations.
(d) Poor sparkplugs.
14. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He does not mind it either way.
(b) He finds it stilting.
(c) He likes the brevity of the route.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
15. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(c) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(d) He finds it too boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
2. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
3. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
4. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)