|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By advanced radar.
(b) Through Morse code.
(c) By radio beacon.
(d) By flares.
2. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(c) Flight engineer.
(d) Radio operator.
3. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) Three engines begin to misfire.
(b) The cabin depressurizes.
(c) One of the wings loses a flap.
(d) The landing gear will not retract.
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Their two-week break to start.
(b) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(c) A meeting with the captain.
(d) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
5. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It is considered a laughing stock.
(b) It hits a rough patch financially.
(c) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(d) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
6. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(a) South American.
7. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(b) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(c) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(d) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
8. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) Prestwick, Scotland.
(c) London, England.
9. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is very serious.
(b) Is coming from a loose seat.
(c) Is just turbulence.
(d) Is not serious.
10. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the cockpit.
(b) In the tail section.
(c) Over the left wing.
(d) Over the right wing.
11. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
12. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) A big beach home.
(b) Small but clean.
(c) Full of insects and vermin.
(d) Simple and neat.
13. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Long-haul missions.
(b) Short drop-offs.
(c) Commercial trips.
(d) Stealth military routes.
14. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
(b) The Coast Guard is called in.
(c) He is airlifted out.
(d) Supplies are dropped to him.
15. Where is Steensville located?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(c) Edwards Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
2. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
3. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
4. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
5. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)