|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(b) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(c) He wants to end up just like Howe.
(d) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
2. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(a) Ascension Island.
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Gaya, India.
3. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) The short daylight hours.
(b) Dangerous flying conditions.
(c) His distant location.
(d) Worsening weather.
4. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Short drop-offs.
(b) Commercial trips.
(c) Stealth military routes.
(d) Long-haul missions.
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
6. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(a) Top secret paraphernalia.
(c) The wounded and material.
7. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(b) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(c) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(d) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
8. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) Over the left wing.
(b) In the tail section.
(c) In the cockpit.
(d) Over the right wing.
9. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
10. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is not serious.
(b) Is coming from a loose seat.
(c) Is very serious.
(d) Is just turbulence.
11. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
12. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
13. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(c) He finds it too boring.
(d) He enjoys the freedom of it.
14. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Pilot error.
(b) Ice formations.
(c) Poor sparkplugs.
(d) Bad wiring.
15. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(b) Icy flights.
(c) North American flights.
(d) Shorter hauls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
2. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
3. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
4. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
5. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)