|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
(a) Their climb to 11,000 feet.
(b) Their silent landing.
(c) Their covert radio signals.
(d) Their very low approach.
2. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Return to San Francisco.
(b) Land early at LAX.
(c) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(d) Crash land in a nearby field.
3. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Long-haul missions.
(b) Short drop-offs.
(c) Stealth military routes.
(d) Commercial trips.
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(b) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(c) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(d) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
5. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(a) The wounded and material.
(c) Top secret paraphernalia.
6. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
7. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
(b) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(c) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
(d) Eject from the plane.
8. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Bradford and Millington.
(b) Robertson and LaFrenier.
(c) Smith and O'Ryan.
(d) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
9. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
10. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) Three engines begin to misfire.
(b) The landing gear will not retract.
(c) One of the wings loses a flap.
(d) The cabin depressurizes.
11. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) A greater cargo capacity.
(b) Two engines.
(c) Better fuel capacity.
(d) An increased cruising range.
12. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
(b) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
13. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is not serious.
(b) Is coming from a loose seat.
(c) Is just turbulence.
(d) Is very serious.
14. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
(b) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(c) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(d) A fuel line bursts.
15. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) North American flights.
(b) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(c) Icy flights.
(d) Shorter hauls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
3. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
4. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
5. How is Dudley described in the novel?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)