Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(b) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(c) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(d) He wants to end up just like Howe.
2. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
3. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
(b) He is airlifted out.
(c) Supplies are dropped to him.
(d) The Coast Guard is called in.
4. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(c) Gaya, India.
(d) Ascension Island.
5. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(b) Friendly and well-meaning.
(c) Very skilled.
6. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(b) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
(c) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
(d) Eject from the plane.
7. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(b) A fuel line bursts.
(c) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(d) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
8. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) The plane's wingspan.
(b) His flying ability.
(c) The engineers' skills.
(d) His proximity to the runway.
9. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
10. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) General Mark Clark.
(b) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
(c) Captain John Dubois.
(d) General Dwight Eisenhower.
11. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Flight engineer.
(d) Radio operator.
12. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
13. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) Through Morse code.
(b) By radio beacon.
(c) By advanced radar.
(d) By flares.
14. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) Two engines.
(b) An increased cruising range.
(c) A greater cargo capacity.
(d) Better fuel capacity.
15. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He likes the brevity of the route.
(b) He finds it stilting.
(c) He does not mind it either way.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
3. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
4. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
5. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)