|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is just turbulence.
(b) Is not serious.
(c) Is very serious.
(d) Is coming from a loose seat.
2. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(c) Jet engines.
(d) Simpson 232.
3. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
(a) Their very low approach.
(b) Their covert radio signals.
(c) Their climb to 11,000 feet.
(d) Their silent landing.
4. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(c) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
5. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
6. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(b) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
7. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) Western Europe.
(c) South Africa.
(d) The South Pacific.
8. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the tail section.
(b) Over the right wing.
(c) Over the left wing.
(d) In the cockpit.
9. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(b) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(c) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(d) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
10. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 16 hours.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 48 hours.
11. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He wants to end up just like Howe.
(b) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(c) He thinks he is inexperienced.
(d) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
12. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They completed a trans-world flight.
(b) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(c) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(d) They just graduated from flight school.
13. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) Dangerous flying conditions.
(b) Worsening weather.
(c) His distant location.
(d) The short daylight hours.
14. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He finds it stilting.
(b) He does not mind it either way.
(c) He likes the brevity of the route.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
15. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
(a) Wake Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
2. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
3. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
4. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)