|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(b) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(c) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
2. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) His flying ability.
(b) The plane's wingspan.
(c) The engineers' skills.
(d) His proximity to the runway.
3. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Friendly and well-meaning.
(d) Very skilled.
4. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He likes the brevity of the route.
(b) He does not mind it either way.
(c) He finds the route exciting.
(d) He finds it stilting.
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
(b) He thinks nothing of it.
(c) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(d) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
6. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Captain John Dubois.
(c) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
(d) General Mark Clark.
7. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(d) South American.
8. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
9. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Bradford and Millington.
(b) Smith and O'Ryan.
(c) Robertson and LaFrenier.
(d) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
10. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) South Africa.
(c) Western Europe.
(d) The South Pacific.
11. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(c) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
(d) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
12. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Icy flights.
(b) North American flights.
(c) Shorter hauls.
(d) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
13. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) A greater cargo capacity.
(b) Better fuel capacity.
(c) An increased cruising range.
(d) Two engines.
14. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(b) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(c) They just graduated from flight school.
(d) They completed a trans-world flight.
15. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) The airplane's tail.
(b) The back right wing.
(c) A small forward baggage compartment.
(d) One of the engines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
2. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
3. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
4. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
5. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)