|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Land early at LAX.
(b) Return to San Francisco.
(c) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(d) Crash land in a nearby field.
2. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Radio operator.
(d) Flight engineer.
3. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) His proximity to the runway.
(b) His flying ability.
(c) The plane's wingspan.
(d) The engineers' skills.
4. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(b) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
6. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
7. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(a) South American.
8. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) General Mark Clark.
(c) Captain John Dubois.
(d) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
9. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Ice formations.
(b) Pilot error.
(c) Poor sparkplugs.
(d) Bad wiring.
10. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
11. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) North American flights.
(b) Shorter hauls.
(c) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(d) Icy flights.
12. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(c) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
(d) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
13. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
14. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They just graduated from flight school.
(b) They completed a trans-world flight.
(c) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(d) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
15. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
(b) A fuel line bursts.
(c) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(d) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
3. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
4. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
5. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)