|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
2. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) North American flights.
(b) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(c) Icy flights.
(d) Shorter hauls.
3. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Five days.
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Their two-week break to start.
(b) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
(c) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(d) A meeting with the captain.
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
6. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(b) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(c) In a landing gone wrong.
(d) In a car accident.
7. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(c) He finds it too boring.
(d) He enjoys the freedom of it.
8. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They just graduated from flight school.
(b) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(c) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(d) They completed a trans-world flight.
9. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(c) San Jose.
10. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
11. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
12. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
13. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By advanced radar.
(b) Through Morse code.
(c) By radio beacon.
(d) By flares.
14. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) The plane's wingspan.
(b) The engineers' skills.
(c) His flying ability.
(d) His proximity to the runway.
15. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
(b) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(c) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
(d) He thinks nothing of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
2. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
3. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
5. How is Dudley described in the novel?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)