|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
2. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) The back right wing.
(b) One of the engines.
(c) A small forward baggage compartment.
(d) The airplane's tail.
3. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) South Africa.
(b) The South Pacific.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) Western Europe.
4. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
5. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Land early at LAX.
(b) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(c) Return to San Francisco.
(d) Crash land in a nearby field.
6. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
(b) Wake Island.
7. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(c) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
(d) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
8. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
9. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(b) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
(c) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
(d) He thinks nothing of it.
10. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(d) San Jose.
11. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
12. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) Through Morse code.
(b) By radio beacon.
(c) By flares.
(d) By advanced radar.
13. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) A greater cargo capacity.
(b) An increased cruising range.
(c) Two engines.
(d) Better fuel capacity.
14. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(c) Top secret paraphernalia.
(d) The wounded and material.
15. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(b) It is considered a laughing stock.
(c) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(d) It hits a rough patch financially.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
2. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
3. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
4. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
5. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)