|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) The fire beginning to burn out.
(b) A clear view of the runway.
(c) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(d) A small hole in the weather.
2. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
3. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Friendly and well-meaning.
(c) Very skilled.
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) Two engines.
(b) Better fuel capacity.
(c) An increased cruising range.
(d) A greater cargo capacity.
5. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
6. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(b) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(c) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(d) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
7. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) The back engines catch fire.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
8. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Long-haul missions.
(b) Short drop-offs.
(c) Stealth military routes.
(d) Commercial trips.
9. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(b) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(c) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(d) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
10. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Jet engines.
(b) Simpson 232.
11. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is coming from a loose seat.
(b) Is not serious.
(c) Is very serious.
(d) Is just turbulence.
12. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Bradford and Millington.
(b) Robertson and LaFrenier.
(c) Smith and O'Ryan.
(d) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
13. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Radio operator.
(c) Flight engineer.
14. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Pilot error.
(b) Poor sparkplugs.
(c) Bad wiring.
(d) Ice formations.
15. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
(b) It was coming from a loose seat.
(c) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(d) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
2. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
3. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
4. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
5. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)