|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) London, England.
(c) Prestwick, Scotland.
2. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 16 hours.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 48 hours.
3. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
(b) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(c) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(d) A fuel line bursts.
4. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(b) Crash land in a nearby field.
(c) Return to San Francisco.
(d) Land early at LAX.
5. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Very skilled.
(c) Friendly and well-meaning.
6. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Ice formations.
(b) Pilot error.
(c) Bad wiring.
(d) Poor sparkplugs.
7. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(b) Top secret paraphernalia.
(d) The wounded and material.
8. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(b) It hits a rough patch financially.
(c) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(d) It is considered a laughing stock.
9. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
10. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) The Coast Guard is called in.
(b) Supplies are dropped to him.
(c) He is airlifted out.
(d) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
11. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) South Africa.
(b) The Middle East.
(c) The South Pacific.
(d) Western Europe.
12. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By advanced radar.
(b) By flares.
(c) Through Morse code.
(d) By radio beacon.
13. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Flight engineer.
(b) Radio operator.
14. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) Two engines.
(b) Better fuel capacity.
(c) A greater cargo capacity.
(d) An increased cruising range.
15. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Short drop-offs.
(b) Long-haul missions.
(c) Stealth military routes.
(d) Commercial trips.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
2. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
3. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
4. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
5. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)