|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
(b) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(c) General Mark Clark.
(d) Captain John Dubois.
2. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(b) Top secret paraphernalia.
(d) The wounded and material.
3. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) South Africa.
(c) The South Pacific.
(d) Western Europe.
4. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
5. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 48 hours.
(c) 16 hours.
(d) 3 days.
6. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(b) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
(c) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
(d) It was coming from a loose seat.
7. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
(a) Their silent landing.
(b) Their very low approach.
(c) Their climb to 11,000 feet.
(d) Their covert radio signals.
8. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
9. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(b) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(c) He finds it too boring.
(d) He finds it too strict.
10. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) Supplies are dropped to him.
(b) He is airlifted out.
(c) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
(d) The Coast Guard is called in.
11. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
(c) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(d) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
12. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) His flying ability.
(b) His proximity to the runway.
(c) The engineers' skills.
(d) The plane's wingspan.
13. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
14. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Five days.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One week.
15. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
2. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
3. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)