|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They completed a trans-world flight.
(b) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(c) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(d) They just graduated from flight school.
2. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Radio operator.
(c) Flight engineer.
3. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
(a) Their very low approach.
(b) Their covert radio signals.
(c) Their silent landing.
(d) Their climb to 11,000 feet.
4. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) Over the left wing.
(b) In the tail section.
(c) Over the right wing.
(d) In the cockpit.
5. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
6. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(b) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(c) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(d) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
7. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) Prestwick, Scotland.
(c) London, England.
8. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Icy flights.
(b) Shorter hauls.
(c) North American flights.
(d) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
9. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
10. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(b) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(c) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(d) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
11. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Short drop-offs.
(b) Stealth military routes.
(c) Long-haul missions.
(d) Commercial trips.
12. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
13. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
14. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
(b) He thinks nothing of it.
(c) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(d) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
15. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
(b) Their two-week break to start.
(c) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(d) A meeting with the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
2. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
4. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
5. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)