|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Twelve days.
2. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(a) Prestwick, Scotland.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) London, England.
3. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
(a) Magnetic navigation.
(c) Celestial navigation.
(d) Guide features.
4. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) A big beach home.
(b) Small but clean.
(c) Full of insects and vermin.
(d) Simple and neat.
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) The back engines catch fire.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
6. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) He is airlifted out.
(b) The Coast Guard is called in.
(c) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
(d) Supplies are dropped to him.
7. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
8. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(c) San Jose.
9. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 16 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 48 hours.
10. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(b) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
(c) It was coming from a loose seat.
(d) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
11. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) A clear view of the runway.
(b) A small hole in the weather.
(c) The fire beginning to burn out.
(d) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
12. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(b) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(c) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(d) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
13. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) The engineers' skills.
(b) His flying ability.
(c) The plane's wingspan.
(d) His proximity to the runway.
14. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
15. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(a) South American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
2. Where is Steensville located?
3. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
4. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)