|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(a) The wounded and material.
(c) Top secret paraphernalia.
2. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
3. Where is Steensville located?
(b) Nova Scotia.
(d) Edwards Island.
4. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
5. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
(b) A meeting with the captain.
(c) Their two-week break to start.
(d) A thank-you dinner at the base.
6. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
7. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(a) South American.
8. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Bad wiring.
(b) Poor sparkplugs.
(c) Ice formations.
(d) Pilot error.
9. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Eject from the plane.
(b) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
(c) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(d) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
10. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(b) A small hole in the weather.
(c) A clear view of the runway.
(d) The fire beginning to burn out.
11. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
12. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too boring.
(b) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(c) He finds it too strict.
(d) He enjoys the freedom of it.
13. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
14. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(b) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(c) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(d) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
15. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(a) Ascension Island.
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Gaya, India.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
2. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
3. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
4. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
5. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)