|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
2. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
3. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) South Africa.
(b) The South Pacific.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) Western Europe.
4. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
5. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the cockpit.
(b) Over the right wing.
(c) In the tail section.
(d) Over the left wing.
6. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Pilot error.
(b) Bad wiring.
(c) Poor sparkplugs.
(d) Ice formations.
7. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Shorter hauls.
(b) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(c) North American flights.
(d) Icy flights.
8. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(b) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(c) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
(d) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
9. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(c) San Jose.
10. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) One week.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three weeks.
11. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Simpson 232.
(c) Jet engines.
12. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
13. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Eject from the plane.
(b) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
(c) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(d) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
14. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(c) He finds it too boring.
(d) He misses being a commercial pilot.
15. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) The short daylight hours.
(b) Dangerous flying conditions.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) His distant location.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Steensville located?
2. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
3. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
4. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)