|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(b) They completed a trans-world flight.
(c) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(d) They just graduated from flight school.
3. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(a) South American.
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
(a) A thank-you dinner at the base.
(b) A meeting with the captain.
(c) Some food, rest, and a trip back to Goose Bay.
(d) Their two-week break to start.
5. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) A clear view of the runway.
(b) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(c) A small hole in the weather.
(d) The fire beginning to burn out.
6. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Flight engineer.
(c) Radio operator.
7. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) The short daylight hours.
(b) Dangerous flying conditions.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) His distant location.
8. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Ice formations.
(b) Poor sparkplugs.
(c) Bad wiring.
(d) Pilot error.
9. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 16 hours.
(b) 48 hours.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 3 days.
10. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Jet engines.
(d) Simpson 232.
11. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
(a) Guide features.
(b) Celestial navigation.
(d) Magnetic navigation.
12. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is coming from a loose seat.
(b) Is not serious.
(c) Is just turbulence.
(d) Is very serious.
13. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(c) Very skilled.
(d) Friendly and well-meaning.
14. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the tail section.
(b) Over the right wing.
(c) In the cockpit.
(d) Over the left wing.
15. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
2. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
3. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
4. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
5. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)