|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He finds it too boring.
(c) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(d) He enjoys the freedom of it.
2. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(b) Shorter hauls.
(c) North American flights.
(d) Icy flights.
3. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) The airplane's tail.
(b) A small forward baggage compartment.
(c) One of the engines.
(d) The back right wing.
4. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) The South Pacific.
(b) The Middle East.
(c) Western Europe.
(d) South Africa.
5. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
(a) He is fine because O'Connor has seniority.
(b) He thinks nothing of it.
(c) He laughs at the good joke O'Connor has played on him.
(d) He writes a sarcastic note to O'Connor.
6. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(b) The wounded and material.
(d) Top secret paraphernalia.
7. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
(a) Celestial navigation.
(c) Guide features.
(d) Magnetic navigation.
8. Which notable military leader does Gann have the honor of flying?
(a) Lieutenant Mark McAllister.
(b) Captain John Dubois.
(c) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) General Mark Clark.
9. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
10. Where is Steensville located?
(b) Nova Scotia.
(d) Edwards Island.
11. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(b) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(c) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(d) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
12. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
13. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(b) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
14. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
15. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
2. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
3. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
5. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)