|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(b) Prestwick, Scotland.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) London, England.
2. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
3. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) Over the right wing.
(b) Over the left wing.
(c) In the cockpit.
(d) In the tail section.
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) Dangerous flying conditions.
(b) His distant location.
(c) The short daylight hours.
(d) Worsening weather.
5. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Bradford and Millington.
(b) Robertson and LaFrenier.
(c) Smith and O'Ryan.
(d) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
6. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
7. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
8. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) The airplane's tail.
(b) One of the engines.
(c) A small forward baggage compartment.
(d) The back right wing.
9. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(b) South American.
10. What were the deaths of the co-pilots and pilots who died during the DC-4 engine investigations attributed to?
(a) Poor sparkplugs.
(b) Ice formations.
(c) Bad wiring.
(d) Pilot error.
11. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(b) North American flights.
(c) Icy flights.
(d) Shorter hauls.
12. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
(a) Is very serious.
(b) Is coming from a loose seat.
(c) Is just turbulence.
(d) Is not serious.
13. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(b) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(c) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
(d) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
14. Which one of the following stops was not on Gann's route to Chabua, Assam?
(a) Ascension Island.
(c) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Gaya, India.
15. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) One day.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
2. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
3. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
4. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
5. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)