|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a landing gone wrong.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(d) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
2. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) He is airlifted out.
(b) The Coast Guard is called in.
(c) Supplies are dropped to him.
(d) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
3. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two weeks.
4. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
5. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
(a) London, England.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) Prestwick, Scotland.
6. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Simpson 232.
(c) Jet engines.
7. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Return to San Francisco.
(b) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(c) Land early at LAX.
(d) Crash land in a nearby field.
8. On one trip, Gann flies with Howe, his co-pilot. How does he view Howe?
(a) He admires him, but does not want to be like him.
(b) He thinks he is a nice young man with a bright future.
(c) He wants to end up just like Howe.
(d) He thinks he is inexperienced.
9. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Stealth military routes.
(b) Short drop-offs.
(c) Commercial trips.
(d) Long-haul missions.
10. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(b) The wounded and material.
(d) Top secret paraphernalia.
11. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
12. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
(a) An increased cruising range.
(b) Two engines.
(c) A greater cargo capacity.
(d) Better fuel capacity.
13. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One week.
14. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) The fire beginning to burn out.
(b) A clear view of the runway.
(c) A small hole in the weather.
(d) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
15. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) One of the wings loses a flap.
(b) The landing gear will not retract.
(c) The cabin depressurizes.
(d) Three engines begin to misfire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
2. Where is Steensville located?
3. How does Gann react when he finds that O'Connor has snatched the C-87 that Gann and his crew were supposed to fly on their route to Greenland, sticking them instead with the older C-47?
4. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
5. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)