|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
(a) Celestial navigation.
(b) Magnetic navigation.
(d) Guide features.
2. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(b) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
(c) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(d) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
3. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He does not mind it either way.
(b) He finds it stilting.
(c) He likes the brevity of the route.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) His distant location.
(b) Worsening weather.
(c) The short daylight hours.
(d) Dangerous flying conditions.
5. When Gann locates O'Connor's flight in Chapter 12, what is done?
(a) Supplies are dropped to him.
(b) He is airlifted out.
(c) The Coast Guard is called in.
(d) The British Royal Air Force takes over.
6. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
7. In Chapter 10, to what city in Iceland are Gann and his crew expected to fly their next cargo load?
8. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(b) Friendly and well-meaning.
(d) Very skilled.
9. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
10. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(a) The wounded and material.
(b) Top secret paraphernalia.
11. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(c) Simpson 232.
(d) Jet engines.
12. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) One of the wings loses a flap.
(b) The landing gear will not retract.
(c) Three engines begin to misfire.
(d) The cabin depressurizes.
13. What weather patterns and geography does Gann note in chapter 14 that he and other pilots have come to know?
(b) South American.
14. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He finds it too boring.
(c) He misses being a commercial pilot.
(d) He enjoys the freedom of it.
15. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the new C-87 as compared to the C-47?
3. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
4. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
5. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)