|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Simpson 232.
(d) Jet engines.
2. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that his favorite old co-pilot is now a pilot. What is the name of this former co-pilot?
3. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(b) A fuel line bursts.
(c) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(d) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
4. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(b) The fire beginning to burn out.
(c) A clear view of the runway.
(d) A small hole in the weather.
5. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) Dangerous flying conditions.
(b) The short daylight hours.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) His distant location.
6. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
7. What causes O'Connor's flight to be lost in Chapter 11?
(a) Poor navigational tools caused the flight to be lost.
(b) The flight is lost due to poor weather and ice.
(c) An enemy plane has shot down the flight.
(d) O'Connor fell asleep while flying, and the flight was lost.
8. Where on the plane is the ominous shaking taking place on Gann's flight to Burbank?
(a) In the tail section.
(b) Over the right wing.
(c) Over the left wing.
(d) In the cockpit.
9. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Very skilled.
(d) Friendly and well-meaning.
10. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(c) Radio operator.
(d) Flight engineer.
11. Where is Gann's flight from Honolulu headed after landing in Burbank?
(c) San Jose.
12. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
(b) Bradford and Millington.
(c) Smith and O'Ryan.
(d) Robertson and LaFrenier.
13. When the war comes, what does Gann begin hauling as he continues flying for Nelson's airline?
(a) Top secret paraphernalia.
(c) The wounded and material.
14. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
15. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
2. What elevation must Gann reach to fly over the Hump?
3. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
4. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
5. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)