|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(b) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
(c) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(d) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
2. Initially, how does Gann view his new role flying on behalf of the military?
(a) He finds it too strict.
(b) He enjoys the freedom of it.
(c) He finds it too boring.
(d) He misses being a commercial pilot.
3. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
(a) Cross-Atlantic airlifts.
(b) North American flights.
(c) Shorter hauls.
(d) Icy flights.
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(b) It is considered a laughing stock.
(c) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(d) It hits a rough patch financially.
5. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) By radio beacon.
(b) By flares.
(c) Through Morse code.
(d) By advanced radar.
6. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(b) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) The back engines catch fire.
7. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
8. An inspector administers a flight test for Dudley. What does the inspector do after the test?
(a) Passes out from the altitude changes.
(b) Commends Dudley for his flying skills.
(c) Writes a letter of commendation for Dudley.
(d) Demands Dudley surrender his license.
9. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(c) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
10. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(b) They completed a trans-world flight.
(c) They just graduated from flight school.
(d) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
11. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
12. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(b) Very skilled.
(d) Friendly and well-meaning.
13. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
(a) A pigeon was in the cargo bay.
(b) The tail was new and needed to be broken in.
(c) It was coming from a loose seat.
(d) A critical bolt was missing from the plane.
14. Who does Gann end up living with during his time in Brazil?
15. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
2. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
3. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
4. When Gann and his crew land in Greenland, what do they expect?
5. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)