|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann describe his home in Brazil?
(a) Simple and neat.
(b) A big beach home.
(c) Small but clean.
(d) Full of insects and vermin.
2. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Crash land in a nearby field.
(b) Return to San Francisco.
(c) Land early at LAX.
(d) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
3. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) The short daylight hours.
(b) His distant location.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) Dangerous flying conditions.
4. At the very end of the novel, the reader learns that Gann has logged nearly how many flight hours?
5. What dangerous mishap happens seconds after Gann takes off in a Douglas C-54 in Chapter 14?
(a) The cabin depressurizes.
(b) The landing gear will not retract.
(c) One of the wings loses a flap.
(d) Three engines begin to misfire.
6. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
(b) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(c) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(d) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
7. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
8. Towards the end of the novel, Gann notes that he is transferred back to Natal and has managed to log how much flying time?
(a) 5,972 hours, 40 minutes.
(b) 5,622 hours, 39 minutes.
(c) 4,627 hours, 29 minutes.
(d) 2,598 hours, 38 minutes.
9. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 16 hours.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 48 hours.
10. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
11. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
(a) His flying ability.
(b) His proximity to the runway.
(c) The engineers' skills.
(d) The plane's wingspan.
12. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Friendly and well-meaning.
(b) Very skilled.
13. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
14. What new navigation trick is used to help keep planes on route to O'Connor's position?
(a) Guide features.
(b) Magnetic navigation.
(d) Celestial navigation.
15. After landing his plane in Burbank in chapter 18, Gann hears news of Coney and Willingham. What is that news?
(a) They were just killed in a crash while flying a DC-4A.
(b) They completed a trans-world flight.
(c) They just landed in Burbank as well.
(d) They just graduated from flight school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Gann notes that he, as most pilots, flies between Goose Bay and which other stop?
2. What does Gann finally find out was the cause of the vibrations on his flight in chapter 18?
3. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
4. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
5. How many men does Gann note it takes to fly the C-87?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)