|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of his engine troubles, what must Gann do with his DC-4A in Chapter 17?
(a) Return to San Francisco.
(b) Crash land in a nearby field.
(c) Crash land in the Pacific Ocean.
(d) Land early at LAX.
2. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
(b) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(c) The back engines catch fire.
(d) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
3. At the end of the novel, Gann is flying for the new airline, another war begins, and he is stationed at which base?
(b) Wake Island.
4. How is Dudley described in the novel?
(a) Friendly and well-meaning.
(d) Very skilled.
5. The technical issues on the C-54 cause a fire in what part of Gann's plane?
(a) The back right wing.
(b) The airplane's tail.
(c) A small forward baggage compartment.
(d) One of the engines.
6. After a leave of absence, Gann flies route AM-21. What does he think of this route?
(a) He likes the brevity of the route.
(b) He does not mind it either way.
(c) He finds it stilting.
(d) He finds the route exciting.
7. What is the name of the pilot that Gann meets toward the end of the novel who holds seniority number 1?
8. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It is considered a laughing stock.
(b) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(c) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(d) It hits a rough patch financially.
9. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
(a) The short daylight hours.
(b) His distant location.
(c) Worsening weather.
(d) Dangerous flying conditions.
10. In chapter 14, which flight schoolmate of Gann's does the reader learn is killed in a flight accident?
11. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(b) Simpson 232.
(d) Jet engines.
12. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
13. Gann learns that in one day, how many planes are lost trying to fly over the Hump?
14. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
(a) Something gets caught in one of the main engines.
(b) They are unable to switch off the high-pressure hydraulic system.
(c) They cannot get the plane to stabilize.
(d) A fuel line bursts.
15. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
(a) Their climb to 11,000 feet.
(b) Their covert radio signals.
(c) Their very low approach.
(d) Their silent landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for the men of O'Connor's lost flight to be rescued?
2. How many days of searching have passed before O'Connor is located?
3. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
4. Gann performs a personal inspection of his plane during a flight from Honolulu to Burbank and decides that the vibration is what?
5. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)