|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann feel about trying to find a strange airport in Iceland?
2. By the time Gann's crew reaches Iceland, about how long have they been flying?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 16 hours.
(c) 48 hours.
(d) 3 days.
3. How is O'Connor's lost flight located?
(a) Through Morse code.
(b) By advanced radar.
(c) By radio beacon.
(d) By flares.
4. After World War II, what happens to the airline industry?
(a) It hits a rough patch financially.
(b) It becomes completely militarized with no more commercial flights.
(c) It experiences a huge increase in profits and prestige.
(d) It is considered a laughing stock.
5. Which two names below does Gann never mention as being part of his crew while he pilots the C-54?
(a) Bradford and Millington.
(b) Smith and O'Ryan.
(c) Robertson and LaFrenier.
(d) Ditmeyer and Braseman.
6. After being transferred back to Natal, Gann spends the next few months on what type of routes?
(a) Stealth military routes.
(b) Short drop-offs.
(c) Long-haul missions.
(d) Commercial trips.
7. In Chapter 16, which pilot from his past does Gann join in flying at a newly formed airline with flights from California to Honolulu?
8. In Agra, Gann's plane was so overloaded, he almost what?
(a) Had to land in the Indian Ocean.
(b) Eject from the plane.
(c) Crashed into the Taj Mahal.
(d) Dump his cargo in an empty field.
9. At Nelson's airline, what does Gann's seniority number mean?
(a) He is co-pilot to less experienced pilots.
(b) He is co-pilot to more experienced pilots.
(c) He is pilot to more experienced co-pilots.
(d) He is pilot to less experienced co-pilots.
10. In Chapter 17, what new engines has Gann's DC-4A been outfitted with for his flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Jet engines.
(b) Simpson 232.
11. What crew position does Grimes hold on Gann's flight from San Francisco to Honolulu?
(a) Radio operator.
(c) Flight engineer.
12. Gann mentions the death of Watkins. How does Watkins die?
(a) An enemy plane shot down his aircraft.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In a controlled flight-into-terrain accident.
(d) In a landing gone wrong.
13. With a fire in the plane, Gann knows he must try to land. What does he see that overjoys him as he tries to land?
(a) The fire beginning to burn out.
(b) Another plane ushering him onto the runway.
(c) A clear view of the runway.
(d) A small hole in the weather.
14. What happens to the new engines on Gann's DC-4A as they are flying from San Francisco?
(a) They all sputter and eventually fail.
(b) The back engines catch fire.
(c) They run too slow to keep the plane at a cruising altitude.
(d) Two of them burn through their fuel too quickly.
15. Gann begins flying for a new airline run by a man named Nelson. Where does this airline fly?
(a) Western Europe.
(b) The Middle East.
(c) The South Pacific.
(d) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gann note "saved the day" when his Douglas C-54 has technical issues, causing a potentially life threatening situation?
2. The C-87 is a new plane used mainly for what purpose?
3. Upon arrival in Iceland, the British Air Force tells Gann what action saved his plane from being found by enemy fighters?
4. Which of the following is not an attribute that is causing difficulties in rescuing O'Connor?
5. Moments after taking off from Steensville, what technical issue do Gann and his crew have to deal with?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)