|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As more experienced pilots move into Gann's route, what happens to Gann?
(a) He is demoted back to co-pilot.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is given a promotion to captain.
(d) He is paired with an experienced co-pilot.
2. Which best describes Hughen?
(a) A poorly trained pilot.
(b) A young man.
(c) A very experienced pilot.
(d) A novice pilot.
3. Ross begins using Zen-like techniques with Gann to do what?
(a) To develop Gann's confidence.
(b) To make Gann choke under pressure.
(c) To practice his hypnotism.
(d) To help Gann sleep.
4. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He turns the plane over to Gann.
(b) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
(c) He panics and does nothing.
(d) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
5. Finish the sentence: Goose Bay initially features...
(a) ...no navigational assets.
(b) ...a wide array of planes and equipment.
(c) ...a welcome home for Gann and his crew.
(d) ...top-notch navigational tools.
6. Which one of the following symptoms of hypoxia does Gann remember on his flight over the Andes?
(a) Visual disturbances.
(c) Hightened sense of smell.
(d) Increased mental awareness.
7. Why did Ernest retire from flying?
(a) Just because.
(b) To avoid death.
(c) To pursue his true passion, writing.
(d) To spend more time with his family.
8. When the missing item cannot be located in Wilkes-Barre, what happens to the flight?
(a) The flight is delayed.
(b) Nothing, everything is fine and on time.
(c) The rest of the flights are cancelled.
(d) The flight is redirected to another route.
9. Emotionally, how does Gann feel about finally being promoted to pilot?
(a) He is humble.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He finds it satisfying .
(d) He finds it too much work.
10. What area is Gann assigned to upon graduation?
11. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) An empty field.
(c) An enemy base.
(d) An airport.
12. How does the author describe Keim's physical appearance?
(a) He is tall and slender.
(b) He is short and weak.
(c) He is stocky and broad.
(d) He is lanky but strong.
13. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
(a) Plentiful but in need of updating.
(b) Top of the line.
(c) In progress and growing.
(d) Poor to non-existent.
14. What is the cargo load Gann and his crew are taking to Goose Bay?
(a) Tank tires.
(b) Aluminum can lids.
(c) Scrap metal.
(d) Steel radio masts.
15. What kind of airplanes does the U.S. promise to bring to South America for no extra costs?
(a) Lockheed Lodestars.
(b) Boeing Boomerangs.
(c) Franklin Flyer.
(d) Airbus Armada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
2. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
3. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
4. In Chapter 6, how long does Gann see himself holding his pilot position?
5. What type of training does McIntosh provide?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)