|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ross seem to handle and respond to Gann's mistakes at Wilkes-Barre and various other stops on their first flight?
(a) He is mocking and rude.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is angry and yells.
(d) He is tolerant.
2. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
(a) Positioning the seat for maximum visibility.
(b) Flying high and above the weather.
(c) Flying low and close to the ground.
(d) Night vision.
3. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
(a) Because he is jealous of Gann's skills.
(b) Because he thinks Gann can help another pilot .
(c) Because he did not have a good demonstration flight.
(d) Because he already has a co-pilot.
4. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
(a) He learns tricks from all of them.
(b) He learns that it is not that hard to be a pilot.
(c) He realizes that he misses Ross.
(d) He discovers that he has learned nothing from his time with them.
5. Gann spent some time between wars flying overseas; where did he fly?
(d) The South Pacific.
6. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
(c) New York City.
7. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
(a) He does not even notice they are happening.
(b) He finds them obnoxious.
(c) He enjoys these new techniques.
(d) He thinks that they are quite fun.
8. What kind of airplanes does the U.S. promise to bring to South America for no extra costs?
(a) Lockheed Lodestars.
(b) Airbus Armada.
(c) Boeing Boomerangs.
(d) Franklin Flyer.
9. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
(b) Carson City.
10. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
(a) The airline industry outsources work.
(b) The airline industry declines.
(c) The airline industry remains static.
(d) The airline industry grows.
11. How does Gann describe Ross' physical appearance?
(a) He is dirty but strong.
(b) He is clean and powerfully built.
(c) He is short and skinny.
(d) He is tall and rather round.
12. In chapter 4, what do we learn has happened to Gann while flying with Ross?
(a) Gann feels ready to be a head pilot.
(b) Gann's flying abilities have vastly improved.
(c) Gann's flying abilities are miserable.
(d) Gann decides that he does not want to fly anymore and quits.
13. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
(a) Landings and takeoffs.
(b) Delivering the mail at stops.
(c) Talking over the intercom.
(d) None of the above.
14. Why does Gann ask Robbins about Ross?
(a) Because he knows about all the pilots and co-pilots.
(b) Because Gann has heard Ross is a horrible flyer.
(c) Because Robbins flies with Ross.
(d) Because Robbins and Ross are brothers.
15. How does the author describe Keim's physical appearance?
(a) He is stocky and broad.
(b) He is tall and slender.
(c) He is short and weak.
(d) He is lanky but strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following topics does Gann not ponder while flying from Goose Bay to Greenland?
2. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
3. How many round trips per week will Gann be required to do at Newark?
4. Why can't Lester fly anymore?
5. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)