|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Encourages him.
(b) Verbally insults him.
(d) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
2. Whose methods and practices does flight school teach the pilots?
(a) British Airlines.
(b) American Airlines.
(c) Euro Airlines.
(d) Northern Airlines.
3. In chapter 4, what do we learn has happened to Gann while flying with Ross?
(a) Gann's flying abilities are miserable.
(b) Gann's flying abilities have vastly improved.
(c) Gann feels ready to be a head pilot.
(d) Gann decides that he does not want to fly anymore and quits.
4. Which two pilots does Gann mention in chapter 7 have recently died in a crash?
(a) Cooper and Owens.
(b) Cooper and Jackson.
(c) Charles and Dixon.
(d) Harold and Boone.
5. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
(b) White-capped waves.
(c) Pods of whales.
(d) Tops of icebergs.
6. Which word best describes the flight from Goose Bay to Greenland?
7. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
(b) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(c) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
(d) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
8. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
(a) A crop dusting pilot.
(b) A water plane pilot.
(c) A Navy fighter pilot.
(d) A commercial pilot.
9. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
(b) New England.
(c) The Northwest.
(d) South Pacific.
10. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
(a) Easygoing but tough.
(b) Free-spirited and easy.
(c) Irresponsible and rude.
(d) Driven and demanding.
11. Where is Gann when he first hears of the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor?
(b) San Juan.
(d) Santa Barbara.
12. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
13. In chapter 8, which friend of Gann's joins the route AM-21 as a pilot?
14. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) An enemy base.
(b) An empty field.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) An airport.
15. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(b) The weather caused the problem.
(c) The plane was defective.
(d) The plane was sabotaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
2. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
3. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
4. In chapter 6, what does the reader learn about the need for pilots on Gann's route?
5. How many round trips per week will Gann be required to do at Newark?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)