|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) The plane was sabotaged.
(b) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(c) The plane was defective.
(d) The weather caused the problem.
2. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
(a) It became the biggest air carrier of all time.
(b) It became Southwest Airlines.
(c) It failed.
(d) Gann became the president of the company.
3. In Chapter 8, Gann is assigned a new flight crew on his cargo plane; which of the following men is not a member of Gann's new crew?
4. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He turns the plane over to Gann.
(b) He panics and does nothing.
(c) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
(d) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
5. Upon landing at Wilkes-Barre, what item can Gann not locate?
(a) His headphone.
(b) The mailbag.
(c) The cargo door.
(d) The breaks.
6. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
(a) The Northwest.
(c) New England.
(d) South Pacific.
7. What type of routes are the men being trained to fly?
(a) Low routes.
(b) Secret routes.
(c) Commercial routes.
(d) Fighter routes.
8. What character traits does Gann seem to attribute to his fellow pilots?
(a) He sees them as humble yet skilled.
(b) He sees them as jealous and unskilled.
(c) He sees them as jealous and proud.
(d) He sees them as gracious and supportive.
9. Ross begins using Zen-like techniques with Gann to do what?
(a) To help Gann sleep.
(b) To make Gann choke under pressure.
(c) To practice his hypnotism.
(d) To develop Gann's confidence.
10. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
(a) Fighter planes.
(b) None of them, except Gann, knows how to fly.
(c) Small airplanes.
(d) Large commercial jets.
11. Which aircraft were the students primarily taught to fly?
(a) Tigers and BC-4's.
(b) BC-4's and F27's.
(c) DC-2's and DC-3's.
(d) 747's and DC-2's.
12. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
(a) The airline industry grows.
(b) The airline industry remains static.
(c) The airline industry declines.
(d) The airline industry outsources work.
13. Who is Robbins?
(a) Gann's best friend.
(b) The chief pilot.
(c) The airport coordinator and flight scheduler.
(d) Another instructor.
14. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
(a) It is rough but due to weather only.
(b) It goes smoothly.
(c) It is botched by Gann.
(d) Ross changes his mind and lands the plane himself.
15. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
(a) Rio de Janeiro.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trying to show his technical ability to Ross, what does Gann try to do immediately upon Ross' signal?
2. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
3. What types of trips will Gann be flying while at Newark?
4. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
5. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)