|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Gann's flight with Hughen, the plane begins to ice up and quickly loses altitude and speed. What is Gann's reaction to this?
(a) He is not shaken at all.
(b) He is quickly frightened.
(c) He is aloof.
(d) He is concerned but confident.
2. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
(a) He learns tricks from all of them.
(b) He learns that it is not that hard to be a pilot.
(c) He discovers that he has learned nothing from his time with them.
(d) He realizes that he misses Ross.
3. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
(a) The airline industry declines.
(b) The airline industry remains static.
(c) The airline industry outsources work.
(d) The airline industry grows.
4. Which best describes Hughen?
(a) A young man.
(b) A poorly trained pilot.
(c) A novice pilot.
(d) A very experienced pilot.
5. Which one of the following symptoms of hypoxia does Gann remember on his flight over the Andes?
(a) Visual disturbances.
(b) Increased mental awareness.
(d) Hightened sense of smell.
6. Initially, how does Gann view Keim's character?
(a) Gann sees Keim as domineering and arrogant.
(b) He thinks Keim is a great teacher and is tough.
(c) He thinks Keim is patient and kind.
(d) Gann thinks Keim is a pushover and not very skilled.
7. What factor determines whether all the stops on the route are reached?
(a) The importance of the airport.
(b) The weather.
(c) The fuel meter.
(d) Gann's attitude.
8. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
(a) Cranky and unpredictable.
(b) Clear and cold.
(c) Humid and thunderous.
(d) Warm and breezy.
9. In chapter 6, how many pilots and co-pilots does Gann mention are killed in crashes?
(a) 2 pilots and 3 co-pilots.
(b) 2 pilots and 2 co-pilots.
(c) 1 pilot and 1 co-pilot.
(d) 1 pilot and 2 co-pilots.
10. When Ernest flew for the start-up company, between which two places did he fly mainly?
(a) California and Hawaii.
(b) Mexico and New York.
(c) Florida and Canada.
(d) Colorado and Havana.
11. In what other war, besides World War II, did Ernest fly?
(a) The Persian Gulf War.
(b) The Battle of the Bulge.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
12. What type of aircraft does Gann think is a cantankerous and difficult machine?
(a) The DC-2.
(b) The DC-3.
(c) The BC-4.
(d) The 747.
13. When the missing item cannot be located in Wilkes-Barre, what happens to the flight?
(a) The flight is delayed.
(b) The rest of the flights are cancelled.
(c) Nothing, everything is fine and on time.
(d) The flight is redirected to another route.
14. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) The plane was defective.
(b) The weather caused the problem.
(c) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(d) The plane was sabotaged.
15. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
(a) He is dismayed.
(b) He is indifferent.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is upset but pretends he is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
2. What is the cargo load Gann and his crew are taking to Goose Bay?
3. What type of training does McIntosh provide?
4. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
5. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)