|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He panics and does nothing.
(b) He turns the plane over to Gann.
(c) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
(d) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
2. What type of adverse weather is Gann's flying route used to experiencing?
(a) Low lying snowfall.
(b) Sudden, heavy thunderstorms.
(c) Large, golf ball-sized hail.
(d) Deep, dense fog.
3. Who is Robbins?
(a) The airport coordinator and flight scheduler.
(b) Another instructor.
(c) The chief pilot.
(d) Gann's best friend.
4. Throughout the text, how does Gann seem to respond to this seniority number?
(a) He brags about his low number.
(b) He mourns for his low number.
(c) He dismisses the number altogether.
(d) He complains about his high number.
5. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
(b) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(c) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
(d) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
6. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
(a) It goes smoothly.
(b) It is botched by Gann.
(c) Ross changes his mind and lands the plane himself.
(d) It is rough but due to weather only.
7. How does Gann view this situation and the last minute switching of planes?
(a) Being protected by love.
(b) Being stalked by fate.
(c) Being watched by death.
(d) Being saved by chance.
8. What is the main load on the cargo planes that Gann pilots for the military when he first begins flying on their behalf?
(a) Equipment for the U.S. Armed Forces.
(c) Passengers on commercial flights.
(d) Canned food.
9. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
(a) Flying high and above the weather.
(b) Positioning the seat for maximum visibility.
(c) Flying low and close to the ground.
(d) Night vision.
10. Which of the following locations is not a stop on Gann's Newark route?
11. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
(a) He feels hate toward the beauty of the remote location.
(b) He feels ashamed that it has interrupted the remote location.
(c) He feels inspired by the land and scenery.
(d) He feels overjoyed at the sight of the mechanization.
12. When the missing item cannot be located in Wilkes-Barre, what happens to the flight?
(a) The flight is delayed.
(b) The rest of the flights are cancelled.
(c) Nothing, everything is fine and on time.
(d) The flight is redirected to another route.
13. How does Gann describe Ross' physical appearance?
(a) He is dirty but strong.
(b) He is tall and rather round.
(c) He is clean and powerfully built.
(d) He is short and skinny.
14. When Gann corrects the plane's altitude, what happens?
(a) They hit a flock of birds.
(b) Gann falls asleep.
(c) Another plane flies by, barely missing Gann's plane.
(d) His co-pilot has a heart attack.
15. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
(a) Martha's Vineyard.
(b) St. Mary's Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Presque Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of pilot was Ernest when he flew for the Air Transport Command?
2. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
3. In chapter 4, what do we learn has happened to Gann while flying with Ross?
4. Which aircraft were the students primarily taught to fly?
5. In chapter 5, the author refers to the opening of a new airport. What is the name of that airport?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)