|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
2. Emotionally, how does Gann feel about finally being promoted to pilot?
(a) He is humble.
(b) He finds it too much work.
(c) He finds it satisfying .
(d) He is terrified.
3. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
4. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
(c) New York City.
5. What modified and militarized plane is Gann flying when he makes his cargo flights?
(a) A G-42.
(b) A D-47.
(c) A C-47.
(d) A C-67.
6. Upon landing at Wilkes-Barre, what item can Gann not locate?
(a) His headphone.
(b) The breaks.
(c) The mailbag.
(d) The cargo door.
7. How does Gann describe Ross' physical appearance?
(a) He is tall and rather round.
(b) He is clean and powerfully built.
(c) He is dirty but strong.
(d) He is short and skinny.
8. While Gann is recovering from his illness, what are other pilots receiving?
(a) Their pension payments.
(b) Their vacation pay.
(c) Their pink slips.
(d) Their war activation letters.
9. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
(b) West Nile virus.
(c) Yellow fever.
10. What kind of airplanes does the U.S. promise to bring to South America for no extra costs?
(a) Airbus Armada.
(b) Franklin Flyer.
(c) Boeing Boomerangs.
(d) Lockheed Lodestars.
11. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
12. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
(a) Carson City.
13. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is dismayed.
(c) He is upset but pretends he is happy.
(d) He is indifferent.
14. What type of pilot is Ross considered by other pilots and Gann?
(a) The best pilot on his route.
(b) The worst pilot on his route.
(c) Devilishly handsome.
(d) A pushover pilot.
15. In chapter 6, how many pilots and co-pilots does Gann mention are killed in crashes?
(a) 2 pilots and 3 co-pilots.
(b) 1 pilot and 1 co-pilot.
(c) 1 pilot and 2 co-pilots.
(d) 2 pilots and 2 co-pilots.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what other war, besides World War II, did Ernest fly?
2. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
3. Trying to show his technical ability to Ross, what does Gann try to do immediately upon Ross' signal?
4. What plane is Ross considered the master of?
5. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)