|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
(a) Martha's Vineyard.
(b) St. Mary's Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Presque Island.
2. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
(c) Carson City.
3. Which aircraft were the students primarily taught to fly?
(a) DC-2's and DC-3's.
(b) Tigers and BC-4's.
(c) BC-4's and F27's.
(d) 747's and DC-2's.
4. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) An airport.
(c) An enemy base.
(d) An empty field.
5. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(b) The plane was defective.
(c) The plane was sabotaged.
(d) The weather caused the problem.
6. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
(a) Poor to non-existent.
(b) Top of the line.
(c) In progress and growing.
(d) Plentiful but in need of updating.
7. Which part of Gann's plane has troubles on his flight from Belem, South America?
(a) The engine's oil line.
(b) The landing gear.
(c) The cabin door.
(d) The left wing.
8. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
(a) Positioning the seat for maximum visibility.
(b) Flying high and above the weather.
(c) Flying low and close to the ground.
(d) Night vision.
9. Initially, how does Gann view Keim's character?
(a) Gann sees Keim as domineering and arrogant.
(b) He thinks Keim is a great teacher and is tough.
(c) Gann thinks Keim is a pushover and not very skilled.
(d) He thinks Keim is patient and kind.
10. Finish the sentence: Goose Bay initially features...
(a) ...top-notch navigational tools.
(b) ...a wide array of planes and equipment.
(c) ...no navigational assets.
(d) ...a welcome home for Gann and his crew.
11. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
(a) He feels ashamed that it has interrupted the remote location.
(b) He feels inspired by the land and scenery.
(c) He feels hate toward the beauty of the remote location.
(d) He feels overjoyed at the sight of the mechanization.
12. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Taking off without a co-pilot.
(c) Helping Gann search for the missing item.
(d) Eating lunch.
13. Gann spent some time between wars flying overseas; where did he fly?
(a) The South Pacific.
14. When Ernest flew for the start-up company, between which two places did he fly mainly?
(a) California and Hawaii.
(b) Mexico and New York.
(c) Florida and Canada.
(d) Colorado and Havana.
15. What does Gann say that he is stalked by?
(a) The Unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of pilot is Ross considered by other pilots and Gann?
2. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
3. How did Gann feel upon returning to his normal route after World War II?
4. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
5. How does Ross seem to handle and respond to Gann's mistakes at Wilkes-Barre and various other stops on their first flight?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)