|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the one occasion, Gann flies with Hughen. What is their route?
(a) New York to Nashville.
(b) Charlotte to Albany.
(c) New York to Philadelphia.
(d) Nashville to Charlotte.
2. Why is America so intent on gaining influence in South America as World War II looms?
(a) Because Russia is influential there.
(b) Because Germany is very influential there.
(c) Because they like South America.
(d) Because South America is their ally.
3. How long is the trip from Goose Bay to Greenland estimated to be for Gann and his crew?
(a) 1,300 miles.
(b) 2,100 miles.
(c) 1,500 miles.
(d) 3,100 miles.
4. How does Gann describe the view as they approach their destination in Greenland?
(a) Smooth white beaches.
(b) Coastal cliffs and craggy fjords.
(c) Flat marshlands.
(d) Shining city lights.
5. Which of the following locations is not a stop on Gann's Newark route?
6. What is one thing that the seniority number determines?
(a) They are only referred to by their number.
(b) Their numbers determine what times they fly.
(c) Their number assigns them to certain routes.
(d) They gain tenure by their seniority number.
7. In the prologue, which co-pilot does Ernest mention?
8. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
9. What type of pilot is Ross considered by other pilots and Gann?
(a) Devilishly handsome.
(b) The worst pilot on his route.
(c) A pushover pilot.
(d) The best pilot on his route.
10. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
(a) A Junkers 86.
(b) A Kickers 97.
(c) A Runners 42.
(d) A Shooters 56.
11. What type of routes are the men being trained to fly?
(a) Secret routes.
(b) Fighter routes.
(c) Low routes.
(d) Commercial routes.
12. Which best describes Hughen?
(a) A very experienced pilot.
(b) A novice pilot.
(c) A poorly trained pilot.
(d) A young man.
13. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
(a) He does not really care either way.
(b) He likes the easy comfort of the new plane.
(c) He thinks that the DC-3 is exactly like the DC-2.
(d) He hates flying the DC-3.
14. What does Keim expect from his new co-pilot?
(a) Keim expects nothing much from Gann.
(b) Keim expects Gann to share all responsibilities 50/50.
(c) Keim expects Gann to be completely subordinate.
(d) Keim expects Gann to take the lead as much as possible.
15. What is McCabe assessing during the demonstration flight?
(a) Gann's skills and personality.
(b) Gann's teamwork.
(c) Gann's airfighter technique.
(d) Gann's answers to all his technical questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over the next few months that they are flying together, what happens to Ross' attitude towards Gann?
2. What modified and militarized plane is Gann flying when he makes his cargo flights?
3. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
4. What type of special school does McIntosh invite Gann to attend?
5. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)