|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to having the visibility limitations on, what type of takeoff does Gann decide to do when leaving for Goose Bay?
(a) A delayed takeoff.
(b) An instrument-only takeoff.
(c) A blind takeoff.
(d) A normal takeoff.
2. How does Gann view this situation and the last minute switching of planes?
(a) Being watched by death.
(b) Being stalked by fate.
(c) Being saved by chance.
(d) Being protected by love.
3. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
(a) Small airplanes.
(b) Large commercial jets.
(c) Fighter planes.
(d) None of them, except Gann, knows how to fly.
4. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) The weather caused the problem.
(b) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(c) The plane was sabotaged.
(d) The plane was defective.
5. Finish the sentence: Goose Bay initially features...
(a) ...a wide array of planes and equipment.
(b) ...a welcome home for Gann and his crew.
(c) ...top-notch navigational tools.
(d) ...no navigational assets.
6. What type of aircraft does Gann enjoy flying because it is easy and new?
(a) The Tiger.
(b) The F27.
(c) The DC-3.
(d) The BC-4.
7. While Gann is recovering from his illness, what are other pilots receiving?
(a) Their vacation pay.
(b) Their war activation letters.
(c) Their pension payments.
(d) Their pink slips.
8. Why did Ernest retire from flying?
(a) To pursue his true passion, writing.
(b) To spend more time with his family.
(c) To avoid death.
(d) Just because.
9. In chapter 4, what do we learn has happened to Gann while flying with Ross?
(a) Gann's flying abilities have vastly improved.
(b) Gann decides that he does not want to fly anymore and quits.
(c) Gann feels ready to be a head pilot.
(d) Gann's flying abilities are miserable.
10. How many round trips per week will Gann be required to do at Newark?
11. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
(a) It failed.
(b) It became Southwest Airlines.
(c) It became the biggest air carrier of all time.
(d) Gann became the president of the company.
12. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Verbally insults him.
(b) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
(d) Encourages him.
13. Which one of the following symptoms of hypoxia does Gann remember on his flight over the Andes?
(a) Hightened sense of smell.
(c) Increased mental awareness.
(d) Visual disturbances.
14. Where is Gann when he first hears of the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor?
(a) San Juan.
(d) Santa Barbara.
15. Why is America so intent on gaining influence in South America as World War II looms?
(a) Because they like South America.
(b) Because Germany is very influential there.
(c) Because Russia is influential there.
(d) Because South America is their ally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plane is Ross considered the master of?
2. While at Goose Bay, what locations does Gann realize will offer excellent staging areas during the war?
3. What does Gann spend his time as a pilot doing?
4. Whose methods and practices does flight school teach the pilots?
5. In chapter 6, what does the reader learn about the need for pilots on Gann's route?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)