|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keim expect from his new co-pilot?
(a) Keim expects Gann to be completely subordinate.
(b) Keim expects Gann to take the lead as much as possible.
(c) Keim expects Gann to share all responsibilities 50/50.
(d) Keim expects nothing much from Gann.
2. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) An airport.
(b) An enemy base.
(c) An empty field.
(d) A waterfall.
3. Trying to show his technical ability to Ross, what does Gann try to do immediately upon Ross' signal?
(a) Do a double barrel roll.
(b) Start the engines.
(c) Break the sound barrier.
(d) Snatch up the landing gear.
4. Initially, how does Gann view Keim's character?
(a) Gann sees Keim as domineering and arrogant.
(b) He thinks Keim is patient and kind.
(c) Gann thinks Keim is a pushover and not very skilled.
(d) He thinks Keim is a great teacher and is tough.
5. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
(a) He hates flying the DC-3.
(b) He does not really care either way.
(c) He thinks that the DC-3 is exactly like the DC-2.
(d) He likes the easy comfort of the new plane.
6. Which one of the following symptoms of hypoxia does Gann remember on his flight over the Andes?
(a) Increased mental awareness.
(b) Visual disturbances.
(c) Hightened sense of smell.
7. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(b) The weather caused the problem.
(c) The plane was sabotaged.
(d) The plane was defective.
8. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
9. Which of the following topics does Gann not ponder while flying from Goose Bay to Greenland?
(a) Beauty of nature.
(b) The idea of a soul mate.
(c) Human trust.
(d) Feelings of loneliness.
10. Over the next few months that they are flying together, what happens to Ross' attitude towards Gann?
(a) Ross refuses to fly with Gann.
(b) He becomes more demanding of Gann.
(c) He and Gann become best friends.
(d) Ross becomes jealous of Gann's skills.
11. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
(a) He is dismayed.
(b) He is indifferent.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is upset but pretends he is happy.
12. On Gann's flight with Hughen, the plane begins to ice up and quickly loses altitude and speed. What is Gann's reaction to this?
(a) He is aloof.
(b) He is concerned but confident.
(c) He is not shaken at all.
(d) He is quickly frightened.
13. How long is the trip from Goose Bay to Greenland estimated to be for Gann and his crew?
(a) 2,100 miles.
(b) 3,100 miles.
(c) 1,300 miles.
(d) 1,500 miles.
14. In chapter 4, what do we learn has happened to Gann while flying with Ross?
(a) Gann feels ready to be a head pilot.
(b) Gann decides that he does not want to fly anymore and quits.
(c) Gann's flying abilities are miserable.
(d) Gann's flying abilities have vastly improved.
15. What eliminates the visibility on Gann's flight to Goose Bay?
(a) Snow flurries.
(b) Heavy hail.
(c) Dense smoke.
(d) Thick fog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
2. Gann spent some time between wars flying overseas; where did he fly?
3. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
4. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
5. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)