|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main load on the cargo planes that Gann pilots for the military when he first begins flying on their behalf?
(a) Canned food.
(b) Passengers on commercial flights.
(d) Equipment for the U.S. Armed Forces.
2. On Gann's flight with Hughen, the plane begins to ice up and quickly loses altitude and speed. What is Gann's reaction to this?
(a) He is concerned but confident.
(b) He is not shaken at all.
(c) He is quickly frightened.
(d) He is aloof.
3. Why does Gann ask Robbins about Ross?
(a) Because Gann has heard Ross is a horrible flyer.
(b) Because Robbins flies with Ross.
(c) Because he knows about all the pilots and co-pilots.
(d) Because Robbins and Ross are brothers.
4. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
5. Why did Ernest retire from flying?
(a) To avoid death.
(b) Just because.
(c) To pursue his true passion, writing.
(d) To spend more time with his family.
6. What does Gann spend his time as a pilot doing?
(a) He spends time greeting passengers and being friendly.
(b) He spends time alone, interacting with no one.
(c) He spends time getting to know the crew.
(d) He spends as much time as possible working on his landing.
7. How does Gann describe the view as they approach their destination in Greenland?
(a) Smooth white beaches.
(b) Shining city lights.
(c) Flat marshlands.
(d) Coastal cliffs and craggy fjords.
8. How far off altitude was Gann's plane?
9. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
(a) Humid and thunderous.
(b) Warm and breezy.
(c) Clear and cold.
(d) Cranky and unpredictable.
10. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) The plane was sabotaged.
(b) The weather caused the problem.
(c) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(d) The plane was defective.
11. What factor determines whether all the stops on the route are reached?
(a) The weather.
(b) The fuel meter.
(c) Gann's attitude.
(d) The importance of the airport.
12. What type of special school does McIntosh invite Gann to attend?
(a) A school for celestial navigation.
(b) A school for top secret fighter missions.
(c) A school for paratroop pilots.
(d) Top Gun academy.
13. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
(a) Expensive black ankle boots.
(b) Brown flying boots.
(d) Tennis shoes.
14. Heavy with fuel and equipment, what is the mph Gann's plane averages on the way to Greenland?
(a) 1,500 mph.
(b) 515 mph.
(c) 1,005 mph.
(d) 115 mph.
15. How did Gann feel upon returning to his normal route after World War II?
(a) He was emotionally scarred from the war.
(b) The short route bored him.
(c) He did not go back to that route.
(d) He loved returning to his normal route.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
2. Over the next few months that they are flying together, what happens to Ross' attitude towards Gann?
3. How does Gann describe Ross' demeanor?
4. What eliminates the visibility on Gann's flight to Goose Bay?
5. What happened to the start-up company Gann worked for after World War II?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)