|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
2. Which aircraft were the students primarily taught to fly?
(a) DC-2's and DC-3's.
(b) BC-4's and F27's.
(c) 747's and DC-2's.
(d) Tigers and BC-4's.
3. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
(a) South Pacific.
(c) New England.
(d) The Northwest.
4. What is the name of the base where Gann lands in Greenland?
(a) St. John's Base.
(c) Baliss Bay.
5. Heavy with fuel and equipment, what is the mph Gann's plane averages on the way to Greenland?
(a) 1,005 mph.
(b) 1,500 mph.
(c) 515 mph.
(d) 115 mph.
6. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
(a) New York City.
7. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(b) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
(c) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
(d) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
8. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
(a) He thinks that the DC-3 is exactly like the DC-2.
(b) He does not really care either way.
(c) He hates flying the DC-3.
(d) He likes the easy comfort of the new plane.
9. On the one occasion, Gann flies with Hughen. What is their route?
(a) Nashville to Charlotte.
(b) Charlotte to Albany.
(c) New York to Nashville.
(d) New York to Philadelphia.
10. What type of training does McIntosh provide?
(a) Secondary training.
(b) Classroom training.
(c) Simulated training.
(d) Mental training.
11. How many round trips per week will Gann be required to do at Newark?
12. Occasionally, Gann co-pilots for other pilots on a route from Newark to which main city?
(a) Carson City.
13. In chapter 8, which friend of Gann's joins the route AM-21 as a pilot?
14. While at Goose Bay, what locations does Gann realize will offer excellent staging areas during the war?
(d) South Pacific.
15. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
(a) It is rough but due to weather only.
(b) Ross changes his mind and lands the plane himself.
(c) It goes smoothly.
(d) It is botched by Gann.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
2. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
3. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
4. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
5. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)