|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann describe the view as they approach their destination in Greenland?
(a) Smooth white beaches.
(b) Flat marshlands.
(c) Shining city lights.
(d) Coastal cliffs and craggy fjords.
2. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
(a) Pacific Ocean.
(b) Atlantic Ocean.
(c) Arctic Ocean.
(d) Indian Ocean.
3. How did Gann feel upon returning to his normal route after World War II?
(a) He loved returning to his normal route.
(b) He did not go back to that route.
(c) The short route bored him.
(d) He was emotionally scarred from the war.
4. In chapter 6, how many pilots and co-pilots does Gann mention are killed in crashes?
(a) 1 pilot and 1 co-pilot.
(b) 2 pilots and 2 co-pilots.
(c) 2 pilots and 3 co-pilots.
(d) 1 pilot and 2 co-pilots.
5. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Encourages him.
(c) Verbally insults him.
(d) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
6. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
(a) The airline industry outsources work.
(b) The airline industry declines.
(c) The airline industry remains static.
(d) The airline industry grows.
7. What plane is Ross considered the master of?
(a) The DC-2.
(b) The DC-4.
(c) The DC-3.
(d) The DC-5.
8. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
(a) Tennis shoes.
(c) Expensive black ankle boots.
(d) Brown flying boots.
9. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
(b) Tops of icebergs.
(c) White-capped waves.
(d) Pods of whales.
10. Which best describes Hughen?
(a) A poorly trained pilot.
(b) A very experienced pilot.
(c) A novice pilot.
(d) A young man.
11. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Presque Island.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
(d) St. Mary's Island.
12. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) An empty field.
(b) An enemy base.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) An airport.
13. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
14. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
(b) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
(c) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(d) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
15. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
(a) Free-spirited and easy.
(b) Irresponsible and rude.
(c) Easygoing but tough.
(d) Driven and demanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
2. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
3. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
4. In what other war, besides World War II, did Ernest fly?
5. Where is Gann when he first hears of the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)