|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
(a) He does not even notice they are happening.
(b) He enjoys these new techniques.
(c) He thinks that they are quite fun.
(d) He finds them obnoxious.
2. Which word best describes the flight from Goose Bay to Greenland?
3. How does Gann describe the view as they approach their destination in Greenland?
(a) Coastal cliffs and craggy fjords.
(b) Shining city lights.
(c) Flat marshlands.
(d) Smooth white beaches.
4. What is one thing that the seniority number determines?
(a) Their numbers determine what times they fly.
(b) They gain tenure by their seniority number.
(c) They are only referred to by their number.
(d) Their number assigns them to certain routes.
5. While Gann is recovering from his illness, what are other pilots receiving?
(a) Their pink slips.
(b) Their pension payments.
(c) Their vacation pay.
(d) Their war activation letters.
6. Why is America so intent on gaining influence in South America as World War II looms?
(a) Because Germany is very influential there.
(b) Because they like South America.
(c) Because Russia is influential there.
(d) Because South America is their ally.
7. What eliminates the visibility on Gann's flight to Goose Bay?
(a) Snow flurries.
(b) Dense smoke.
(c) Thick fog.
(d) Heavy hail.
8. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
(a) He takes over and manages to land the plane safely.
(b) He panics and does nothing.
(c) He is calm but lands the plane with a crash.
(d) He turns the plane over to Gann.
9. In the prologue, which co-pilot does Ernest mention?
10. How far off altitude was Gann's plane?
11. What was Gann's seniority number when he completed flight school?
12. In chapter 8, which friend of Gann's joins the route AM-21 as a pilot?
13. What piloting tasks does Ross trust his co-pilots with that most other pilots do not?
(a) Talking over the intercom.
(b) Delivering the mail at stops.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Landings and takeoffs.
14. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
(a) Warm and breezy.
(b) Humid and thunderous.
(c) Cranky and unpredictable.
(d) Clear and cold.
15. Who is Robbins?
(a) The airport coordinator and flight scheduler.
(b) Gann's best friend.
(c) The chief pilot.
(d) Another instructor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
2. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
3. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
4. Over the next few months that they are flying together, what happens to Ross' attitude towards Gann?
5. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)