|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following topics does Gann not ponder while flying from Goose Bay to Greenland?
(a) Feelings of loneliness.
(b) The idea of a soul mate.
(c) Human trust.
(d) Beauty of nature.
2. How does Gann view this situation and the last minute switching of planes?
(a) Being stalked by fate.
(b) Being watched by death.
(c) Being protected by love.
(d) Being saved by chance.
3. Why does Gann decide against requesting a transfer away from Ross?
(a) Because Ross will retire soon, and Gann will be the pilot.
(b) Because flying with Ross is an honor.
(c) Because there is no one else to transfer to.
(d) Because he and Ross work well together.
4. While at Goose Bay, what locations does Gann realize will offer excellent staging areas during the war?
(c) South Pacific.
5. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
(a) Arctic Ocean.
(b) Indian Ocean.
(c) Atlantic Ocean.
(d) Pacific Ocean.
6. What character traits does Gann seem to attribute to his fellow pilots?
(a) He sees them as humble yet skilled.
(b) He sees them as jealous and unskilled.
(c) He sees them as gracious and supportive.
(d) He sees them as jealous and proud.
7. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Encourages him.
(b) Verbally insults him.
(d) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
8. Heavy with fuel and equipment, what is the mph Gann's plane averages on the way to Greenland?
(a) 115 mph.
(b) 515 mph.
(c) 1,005 mph.
(d) 1,500 mph.
9. When Ernest flew for the start-up company, between which two places did he fly mainly?
(a) Colorado and Havana.
(b) Mexico and New York.
(c) California and Hawaii.
(d) Florida and Canada.
10. What does Gann believe about the other pilots' modesty when talking about their abilities?
(a) He thinks that they are just shy.
(b) He thinks they must not be that skilled.
(c) He believes they are bluffing.
(d) He does not care about the other pilots.
11. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
12. On the one occasion, Gann flies with Hughen. What is their route?
(a) Nashville to Charlotte.
(b) New York to Philadelphia.
(c) Charlotte to Albany.
(d) New York to Nashville.
13. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
(b) New York City.
14. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
(a) Massilon, OH.
(b) Lansing, MI.
(c) Cleveland, OH.
(d) Detroit, MI.
15. Due to having the visibility limitations on, what type of takeoff does Gann decide to do when leaving for Goose Bay?
(a) An instrument-only takeoff.
(b) A delayed takeoff.
(c) A blind takeoff.
(d) A normal takeoff.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
2. Which of the following tricks does Ross teach Gann for flying in severe weather?
3. What type of routes are the men being trained to fly?
4. After the Wilkes-Barre incident, Ross decides to let Gann land at their next stop. How is that landing?
5. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)