|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
(a) He feels hate toward the beauty of the remote location.
(b) He feels ashamed that it has interrupted the remote location.
(c) He feels inspired by the land and scenery.
(d) He feels overjoyed at the sight of the mechanization.
2. Over the next few months that they are flying together, what happens to Ross' attitude towards Gann?
(a) Ross refuses to fly with Gann.
(b) Ross becomes jealous of Gann's skills.
(c) He becomes more demanding of Gann.
(d) He and Gann become best friends.
3. What does Ross reveal when he hears Gann is not Army-taught as a pilot?
(a) That he is not Army-taught, either.
(b) That he does not know what Army-taught means.
(c) That he only flies with Army-taught pilots.
(d) He believes everyone should be Army-taught.
4. Generally, how do landings on Gann's Newark route seem to be executed?
(a) They are quick and dangerous.
(b) The are long and dull.
(c) They are prolonged and exciting.
(d) They are short and sweet.
5. What character traits does Gann seem to attribute to his fellow pilots?
(a) He sees them as humble yet skilled.
(b) He sees them as jealous and unskilled.
(c) He sees them as jealous and proud.
(d) He sees them as gracious and supportive.
6. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
(d) New York City.
7. How does Gann describe Ross' demeanor?
(a) He is clumsy and rude.
(b) He is rather unfriendly and arrogant.
(c) He walks with grace and is likeable.
(d) He is nervous but entertaining.
8. Midway through the novel, which dangerous disease does Gann become stricken with?
(b) Yellow fever.
(c) West Nile virus.
9. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
(a) Under Gann's seat.
(b) The food storage area.
(c) The tail compartment.
(d) The overhead bin.
10. What modified and militarized plane is Gann flying when he makes his cargo flights?
(a) A C-67.
(b) A D-47.
(c) A C-47.
(d) A G-42.
11. In chapter 8, which friend of Gann's joins the route AM-21 as a pilot?
12. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
(a) A Shooters 56.
(b) A Kickers 97.
(c) A Junkers 86.
(d) A Runners 42.
13. What type of instructors are McIntosh and Lester?
(a) Free-spirited and easy.
(b) Driven and demanding.
(c) Easygoing but tough.
(d) Irresponsible and rude.
14. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Presque Island.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
(d) St. Mary's Island.
15. In the prologue, which co-pilot does Ernest mention?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
2. How does Hughen handle the situation of the plane icing in mid-flight?
3. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
4. What type of aircraft does Gann enjoy flying because it is easy and new?
5. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)