|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
(a) He feels inspired by the land and scenery.
(b) He feels hate toward the beauty of the remote location.
(c) He feels ashamed that it has interrupted the remote location.
(d) He feels overjoyed at the sight of the mechanization.
2. What type of routes are the men being trained to fly?
(a) Low routes.
(b) Secret routes.
(c) Commercial routes.
(d) Fighter routes.
3. What is McCabe assessing during the demonstration flight?
(a) Gann's skills and personality.
(b) Gann's answers to all his technical questions.
(c) Gann's teamwork.
(d) Gann's airfighter technique.
4. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
(a) He learns tricks from all of them.
(b) He learns that it is not that hard to be a pilot.
(c) He realizes that he misses Ross.
(d) He discovers that he has learned nothing from his time with them.
5. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
(a) Fighter planes.
(b) Large commercial jets.
(c) Small airplanes.
(d) None of them, except Gann, knows how to fly.
6. What does Gann learn has caused his plane to have technical trouble while flying from Belem?
(a) His reckless flying caused the problem.
(b) The weather caused the problem.
(c) The plane was sabotaged.
(d) The plane was defective.
7. What are Gann and his co-pilot looking for by following the river through the jungles of South America?
(a) An enemy base.
(b) An empty field.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) An airport.
8. Finish the sentence: Goose Bay initially features...
(a) ...a wide array of planes and equipment.
(b) ...no navigational assets.
(c) ...top-notch navigational tools.
(d) ...a welcome home for Gann and his crew.
9. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
(a) Rio de Janeiro.
10. Which one of the following symptoms of hypoxia does Gann remember on his flight over the Andes?
(b) Hightened sense of smell.
(c) Increased mental awareness.
(d) Visual disturbances.
11. What does Ross do as Gann repeatedly makes the same mistakes?
(a) Verbally insults him.
(b) Encourages him.
(d) Kicks him out of the cockpit.
12. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
13. When Gann co-pilots on other routes, he sometimes flies a DC-3. How does Gann view the DC-3's flying capabilities?
(a) He likes the easy comfort of the new plane.
(b) He does not really care either way.
(c) He thinks that the DC-3 is exactly like the DC-2.
(d) He hates flying the DC-3.
14. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
(a) In progress and growing.
(b) Top of the line.
(c) Plentiful but in need of updating.
(d) Poor to non-existent.
15. Why can't Lester fly anymore?
(a) He is afraid of being in the air.
(b) He is not licensed anymore.
(c) The school does not like him to fly.
(d) He has several physical wounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following locations is not a stop on Gann's Newark route?
2. What happens to the airline industry due to the wartime economy?
3. Where does Gann mention the technician looks for the missing item when they are in Wilkes-Barre?
4. When Gann corrects the plane's altitude, what happens?
5. While Gann is straightening out the mess with the missing item in Wilkes-Barre, what is Ross doing?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)