|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
(b) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
(c) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(d) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
2. Which of the following topics does Gann not ponder while flying from Goose Bay to Greenland?
(a) Beauty of nature.
(b) The idea of a soul mate.
(c) Human trust.
(d) Feelings of loneliness.
3. What types of trips will Gann be flying while at Newark?
(a) Trips bombing enemy territory.
(b) Trips carrying weapons and arms.
(c) Trips carrying foreign dignitaries.
(d) Trips carrying passengers and mail.
4. Why does Gann ask Robbins about Ross?
(a) Because he knows about all the pilots and co-pilots.
(b) Because Robbins and Ross are brothers.
(c) Because Gann has heard Ross is a horrible flyer.
(d) Because Robbins flies with Ross.
5. In what other war, besides World War II, did Ernest fly?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) The Battle of the Bulge.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Persian Gulf War.
6. How does Gann view Ross' Zen-like techniques?
(a) He thinks that they are quite fun.
(b) He finds them obnoxious.
(c) He does not even notice they are happening.
(d) He enjoys these new techniques.
7. In Chapter 6, how long does Gann see himself holding his pilot position?
(a) He does not even think about it.
(b) He thinks he will be a pilot forever.
(c) He thinks it will not last long.
(d) He thinks it will be short because he will be promoted again.
8. What is the cargo load Gann and his crew are taking to Goose Bay?
(a) Scrap metal.
(b) Aluminum can lids.
(c) Steel radio masts.
(d) Tank tires.
9. How did Gann feel upon returning to his normal route after World War II?
(a) He was emotionally scarred from the war.
(b) He loved returning to his normal route.
(c) He did not go back to that route.
(d) The short route bored him.
10. Which two pilots does Gann mention in chapter 7 have recently died in a crash?
(a) Charles and Dixon.
(b) Harold and Boone.
(c) Cooper and Owens.
(d) Cooper and Jackson.
11. When Gann sees the base of Goose Bay in the middle of such natural beauty, how does he feel about the location of the base?
(a) He feels hate toward the beauty of the remote location.
(b) He feels inspired by the land and scenery.
(c) He feels ashamed that it has interrupted the remote location.
(d) He feels overjoyed at the sight of the mechanization.
12. What type of airplanes do most of the students already know how to pilot?
(a) None of them, except Gann, knows how to fly.
(b) Large commercial jets.
(c) Small airplanes.
(d) Fighter planes.
13. Why does McCabe reassign Gann?
(a) Because he already has a co-pilot.
(b) Because he did not have a good demonstration flight.
(c) Because he is jealous of Gann's skills.
(d) Because he thinks Gann can help another pilot .
14. As more experienced pilots move into Gann's route, what happens to Gann?
(a) He is given a promotion to captain.
(b) He is demoted back to co-pilot.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is paired with an experienced co-pilot.
15. What type of pilot was Ernest when he flew for the Air Transport Command?
(a) An air raid pilot.
(b) A special forces pilot.
(c) A civil pilot.
(d) A fighter pilot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these men did not attend flight school with Gann?
2. Which best describes Hughen?
3. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
4. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
5. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)