|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trying to show his technical ability to Ross, what does Gann try to do immediately upon Ross' signal?
(a) Break the sound barrier.
(b) Do a double barrel roll.
(c) Snatch up the landing gear.
(d) Start the engines.
2. How does Gann describe Ross' demeanor?
(a) He is clumsy and rude.
(b) He is rather unfriendly and arrogant.
(c) He walks with grace and is likeable.
(d) He is nervous but entertaining.
3. Again, Gann manages to mess up, but Ross is there to save the day. What does Gann realize after his first flight day with Ross?
(a) Gann realizes that Ross is not that great of a teacher.
(b) Gann realizes that he hates being a co-pilot.
(c) Gann realizes that he has nothing left to learn from Ross.
(d) Gann realizes that he has a lot to learn.
4. Which part of Gann's plane has troubles on his flight from Belem, South America?
(a) The cabin door.
(b) The engine's oil line.
(c) The left wing.
(d) The landing gear.
5. What modified and militarized plane is Gann flying when he makes his cargo flights?
(a) A G-42.
(b) A C-47.
(c) A C-67.
(d) A D-47.
6. What is the cargo load Gann and his crew are taking to Goose Bay?
(a) Scrap metal.
(b) Tank tires.
(c) Aluminum can lids.
(d) Steel radio masts.
7. What does Gann say that he is stalked by?
(a) The Unknown.
8. Why did Ernest retire from flying?
(a) To avoid death.
(b) To pursue his true passion, writing.
(c) Just because.
(d) To spend more time with his family.
9. Where did Ross grow up as a child?
(a) Massilon, OH.
(b) Lansing, MI.
(c) Cleveland, OH.
(d) Detroit, MI.
10. Which one of these men did not attend flight school with Gann?
11. How many men did Gann attend flight school with?
12. What kind of airplanes does the U.S. promise to bring to South America for no extra costs?
(a) Airbus Armada.
(b) Franklin Flyer.
(c) Lockheed Lodestars.
(d) Boeing Boomerangs.
13. What factor determines whether all the stops on the route are reached?
(a) The importance of the airport.
(b) The weather.
(c) Gann's attitude.
(d) The fuel meter.
14. What plane does Gann find abandoned on his first shuttle flight to South America?
(a) A Runners 42.
(b) A Shooters 56.
(c) A Kickers 97.
(d) A Junkers 86.
15. Where did Ernest Gann fly primarily prior to World War II?
(a) South Pacific.
(b) New England.
(c) The Northwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gann spend his time as a pilot doing?
2. What type of shoes does Ross wear?
3. To what island in Maine is Gann offered a position flying a cargo plane?
4. Which ocean does the crew fly over on their way to drop their cargo in Greenland?
5. Which direction does Gann follow the river while flying over the trackless jungles of South America?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)