|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emotionally, how does Gann feel about finally being promoted to pilot?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He finds it too much work.
(c) He finds it satisfying .
(d) He is humble.
2. When Gann discovers that his demonstration flight will be on a DC-2, how does he feel?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is upset but pretends he is happy.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is dismayed.
3. Gann spent some time between wars flying overseas; where did he fly?
(c) The South Pacific.
4. While Gann is recovering from his illness, what are other pilots receiving?
(a) Their pink slips.
(b) Their war activation letters.
(c) Their pension payments.
(d) Their vacation pay.
5. What does Ross reveal when he hears Gann is not Army-taught as a pilot?
(a) That he does not know what Army-taught means.
(b) That he is not Army-taught, either.
(c) That he only flies with Army-taught pilots.
(d) He believes everyone should be Army-taught.
6. In which South American city are new planes to be delivered?
(d) Rio de Janeiro.
7. In the prologue, which co-pilot does Ernest mention?
8. What type of aircraft does Gann enjoy flying because it is easy and new?
(a) The DC-3.
(b) The BC-4.
(c) The Tiger.
(d) The F27.
9. On Gann's flight with Hughen, the plane begins to ice up and quickly loses altitude and speed. What is Gann's reaction to this?
(a) He is quickly frightened.
(b) He is concerned but confident.
(c) He is not shaken at all.
(d) He is aloof.
10. How does Gann describe the weather at Goose Bay?
(a) Cranky and unpredictable.
(b) Clear and cold.
(c) Warm and breezy.
(d) Humid and thunderous.
11. What is the name of the base where Gann lands in Greenland?
(b) St. John's Base.
(d) Baliss Bay.
12. How does the author describe South America's aviation facilities?
(a) In progress and growing.
(b) Top of the line.
(c) Plentiful but in need of updating.
(d) Poor to non-existent.
13. How long is the trip from Goose Bay to Greenland estimated to be for Gann and his crew?
(a) 1,500 miles.
(b) 1,300 miles.
(c) 3,100 miles.
(d) 2,100 miles.
14. What does Gann glean in his time spent co-piloting with an array of different pilots?
(a) He learns tricks from all of them.
(b) He learns that it is not that hard to be a pilot.
(c) He realizes that he misses Ross.
(d) He discovers that he has learned nothing from his time with them.
15. As the plane nears its landing base in Greenland, what does Gann's plane skim while flying only feet above the water?
(a) Pods of whales.
(b) White-capped waves.
(d) Tops of icebergs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these men did not attend flight school with Gann?
2. Upon leaving Wilkes-Barre, Ross allows Gann to fly to the next location. What is that location?
3. What type of pilot was Lester in his flying days?
4. Whose methods and practices does flight school teach the pilots?
5. When Gann corrects the plane's altitude, what happens?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)