|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uma do that astonishes Papa in Chapter 12?
2. With what does Mother Agnes want Uma's assistance?
3. How does Arun feel when he goes with Mrs. Patton to the grocery store?
4. Where is Melanie when it's time for dinner when Arun first arrives at the Patton home?
5. What was difficult for Arun during his first year at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mama suspicious of Mrs. O'Henry's motives in inviting Uma?
2. What does Uma say about Mira-Masi?
3. What does Anamika's husband say about her death, and how do the neighbors contradict him?
4. What does Arun try to get the courage to tell Mrs. Patton?
5. What does Arun think upon walking to the Patton house for the first time?
6. How does Mrs. Patton feel about Arun being in her home?
7. What does Mrs. Patton encourage Arun to cook?
8. What happens one particularly hot and dusty day with Uma?
9. How has Mrs. Patton changed over the course of the summer?
10. How does the cashier at the grocery store upset Mrs. Patton and what does she ask Arun concerning the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
a) What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Fasting, Feasting? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
b) Discuss an example of foreshadowing in “Fasting, Feasting” including why you believe it is foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Fasting, Feasting belongs to the multicultural novel genre. Discuss each of the following:
a) Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the multicultural novel genre.
b) Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
c) What do you think is the difference between a multicultural novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
a) Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Fasting, Feasting. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Desai chooses the symbols he does?
b) Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Desai chooses the metaphors she does?
c) Discuss Desai's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Desai use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)