|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papa's vocation?
2. About what is Uma's Papa outraged after she is married?
3. How does Aruna see her parents in relation to her in-laws?
4. Who does Uma call when her parents are out in Chapter 9?
5. What does Uma regret about the trip with Aruna and Aruna's in-laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa want the family to eat meat, and who will not do so?
2. How does Mother Agnes respond to Uma's pleas?
3. What happens when Aruna comes to visit her family several years after her marriage?
4. How does Mama and Papa's moods affect the rest of the household?
5. How do Uma and Aruna feel about Anamika's engagement?
6. How does Uma feel about her eligibility for marriage and how is she expected to act?
7. Why does Uma sneak out of the house one day?
8. How do Uma and Aruna respond to news of their mother's pregnancy?
9. What makes one possible husband for Uma not ideal, but why do Mama and Papa decide to negotiate anyway?
10. Why does Papa go and bring Uma back home from her new husband's household and how does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and sometimes it is the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven? Action-driven? How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Fasting, Feasting is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss three of the following:
a) Fully explain why you think Fasting, Feasting is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
b) How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book?
c) Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content?
d) Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Fasting, Feasting belongs to the multicultural novel genre. Discuss each of the following:
a) Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the multicultural novel genre.
b) Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
c) What do you think is the difference between a multicultural novel and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)