|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Arun expected to do every night after school?
(a) Help his father in his law office.
(b) Tutor his sisters.
(c) Study with his tutors.
(d) Get physically fit.
2. What does Uma do after she reaches her breaking point in Chapter 12?
(a) Tells her parents she is going to see Arun in the United States.
(b) Goes to her room and reads.
(c) Has a fit on the floor.
(d) Calls her sister in Bombay.
3. Where does Arun work?
(a) An Indian grocery.
(b) The library.
(c) A fast food joint.
(d) The library.
4. What particularly strikes Arun as he is walking to the Patton home?
(a) The tidy homes amidst verdant landscape.
(b) The irony of going to live with Americans, which he used to want to do but no longer does.
(c) That Mrs. Patton is allowing an unmarried male to stay in the same home with her daughters.
(d) That the Pattons do not even know he is from India.
5. What does Arun give Mrs. Patton as a parting gift?
(a) A book on meditation.
(b) A vegetarian cookbook.
(c) The shawl and tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arun see Melanie eating in the kitchen in Chapter 25?
2. Why is Arun moving to the Patton home?
3. What does Mrs. Patton want Arun to teach her?
4. What was difficult for Arun during his first year at school?
5. What does Arun like about staying at the Patton home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arun receive from Uma before he moves out of the Patton home?
2. What were Mama's and Papa's jobs concerning their children?
3. Why does Arun enter the water so quickly despite not being able to swim well?
4. What is Rod Patton like?
5. How does Arun feel when he receives an aerogramme from Papa?
6. What does Mrs. Patton say upon hearing that Arun is a vegetarian?
7. How does Arun feel about his life in the United States?
8. What happens one particularly hot and dusty day with Uma?
9. What does Anamika's husband say about her death, and how do the neighbors contradict him?
10. Describe Arun's first encounter with Melanie Patton.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)