|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Patton appear annoyed after he brings the meat in from the grill?
(a) Because the dog grabbed one of the hamburgers.
(b) Because Melanie is still trying to catch the dog.
(c) Because Mrs. Patton criticizes his grilling effort.
(d) Because Mrs. Patton tells him Arun is a vegetarian.
2. About what does Arun wonder if he and Melanie have the same reaction?
(a) he way Rod seems to live on the fringe of the family.
(b) The gross abundance of food.
(c) The way Mr. and Mrs. Patton ignore Melanie's problem.
(d) The way Mr. and Mrs. Patton fight.
3. What does Mrs. Patton say she and Arun can do together?
(a) Practice meditation.
(b) Go watch foreign films at the alternative movie theater.
(c) Eat vegetarian.
(d) Play the ijini card game together.
4. How do Mama and Papa feel about Uma’s invitation from Mrs. O'Henry?
(a) They think coffee parties are silly and unnecessary.
(b) They fear the shower will depress Uma.
(c) They fear Uma will believe the West is better than India.
(d) They are gratified that some of the foreigners take an interest in Uma.
5. What does Papa write to Arun about Mrs. Patton?
(a) She will help Arun get his driver's license.
(b) She is willing to let Arun live there for the summer.
(c) She will tutor Arun in English literature.
(d) She will do Arun's laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Arun amazed that Mrs. Patton wants to go to the grocery store?
2. What does Uma do when she reaches her breaking point with her parents in Chapter 12?
3. What does Uma do that astonishes Papa in Chapter 12?
4. What does Arun offer to do before and after his job?
5. What are Mama and Papa's response to Dr. Dutt's inquiry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arun discover when he takes a walk into the woods?
2. What does Arun receive from Uma before he moves out of the Patton home?
3. What does Anamika's husband say about her death, and how do the neighbors contradict him?
4. What does Arun begin doing and why?
5. What were Mama's and Papa's jobs concerning their children?
6. How does the cashier at the grocery store upset Mrs. Patton and what does she ask Arun concerning the situation?
7. To what does Mrs. O'Henry invite Uma, and what do her parents feel about the event?
8. Describe Arun's first encounter with Melanie Patton.
9. What does Uma say about Mira-Masi?
10. What does Mrs. Joshi suggest that Uma consider, and what are Uma's thoughts about it?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)