|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have Mama and Papa gone at the opening to this Chapter 9?
(a) To a musical recital.
(b) To play cards.
(c) To the temple.
(d) To dinner with Papa's brother.
2. What does Uma drink when out to dinner?
(d) Just water.
3. When does Uma almost drown?
(a) When she is ill and goes unconscious in the bathtub.
(b) When Arun accidentally pushes her in the pond at the park.
(c) When she and some friends swim at the public pool.
(d) When participating in a ritualistic dip in the Ganges.
4. Where does Anamika live after marriage?
(d) The United States.
5. What does Uma regret about the trip with Aruna and Aruna's in-laws?
(a) That she was saved from sinking into the river.
(b) That her parents would not allow her to watch the movie.
(c) That the fireworks had to be cancelled after one burst.
(d) That the temple did not have any cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Arun at the opening of the novel?
2. Why does Anamika suffer a miscarriage?
3. What two countries are the settings for “Fasting, Feasting”?
4. What does a man who is interested in Uma do for a living?
5. With whom does the man interested in marrying Uma live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa want the family to eat meat, and who will not do so?
2. How does Aruna feel about Uma's lack of marriage prospects?
3. What does Mira-Masi tell Uma one day about the mark of the Lord, and how does Uma react?
4. What happens when Aruna comes of age for marriage?
5. Who are the main Indian characters?
6. How do Uma and Aruna respond to news of their mother's pregnancy?
7. How is Anamika's life after her marriage?
8. How does Uma feel about her eligibility for marriage and how is she expected to act?
9. In the opening to the book, what does Uma do while her parents are sitting on the veranda?
10. How does Uma and her family learn that the prospective groom is not interested in Uma?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)