|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa do professionally?
(a) Retires from his law practice.
(b) Becomes a judge.
(c) Begins winning famous trials.
(d) Becomes involved in politics.
2. What does Uma do when she finds the person for whom she is searching in Chapter 3?
(a) She collapses.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She greets her calmly and happily.
(d) She pleads with him for a job.
3. Why are Mama and Papa angry when Uma returns home after dinner out with a relative?
(a) She is tipsy.
(b) She tells her parents she was with a man.
(c) She is very late.
(d) She talks back to her parents.
4. About what religion does Mira-Masi tell stories to Uma and Aruna?
5. About what is Uma's Papa outraged after she is married?
(a) Uma is not willing to live with her new husband's family.
(b) Uma's husband is asking for more dowry.
(c) Uma's husband has another wife and children.
(d) Aruna was killed by an insane person who is let out of an asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Uma go to dinner with a relative?
2. What two countries are the settings for “Fasting, Feasting”?
3. What does Uma notice about Aruna in Chapter 8?
4. What does the prospective groom's family do for a living?
5. What does the prospective groom's father say that makes Mama want to arrange the marriage with that family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mira-Masi tell Uma one day about the mark of the Lord, and how does Uma react?
2. What does Mama do each day to prepare Papa for the day?
3. Who does Uma call in Chapter 9, and what is the outcome?
4. How does giving birth to a male child affect Mama's status?
5. Why does Papa go and bring Uma back home from her new husband's household and how does he react?
6. How do Uma and Aruna feel about Anamika's engagement?
7. How does Mama and Papa's moods affect the rest of the household?
8. Why does Uma sneak out of the house one day?
9. Why does Papa want the family to eat meat, and who will not do so?
10. What does Uma do one night when Mama and Papa have gone out?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)