|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Uma hear human voices at the Ashram?
(a) During morning and evening prayers.
(b) At meals.
(d) All the time.
2. Where is the ashram situated?
(a) At the foot of some hills.
(b) On a small tributary of the Ganges River.
(c) On the Granges River.
(d) On the open plains.
3. What stands in stark contrast to Uma's wedding plans?
(a) Aruna's wedding plans.
(b) Uma's coin collections.
(c) Arun's wedding plans.
(d) Uma's Christmas cards.
4. Why do Mama and Papa travel to the city after reading the newspaper?
(a) To check out a possible suitor for Aruna.
(b) To see a medical specialist.
(c) To invest their money.
(d) To check out a possible suitor for Uma.
5. Where does Aruna go to live in Chapter 9?
(b) The United States.
(d) Southern India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Uma to return home from the ashram?
2. Where have Mama and Papa gone at the opening to this Chapter 9?
3. What irritates Papa when they go to the park?
4. Who often give Uma something to add to her collection?
5. Why does Papa come to where Uma is staying after she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening to the book, what does Uma do while her parents are sitting on the veranda?
2. What does Uma feel about the time she fell into the Ganges and was sinking?
3. What does Mama do each day to prepare Papa for the day?
4. How does giving birth to a male child affect Mama's status?
5. How do Aruna's wedding plans differ from those taken when Uma was to marry?
6. How do Uma and Aruna respond to news of their mother's pregnancy?
7. How does Uma feel about her eligibility for marriage and how is she expected to act?
8. What does Mira-Masi tell Uma one day about the mark of the Lord, and how does Uma react?
9. Why does Papa want the family to eat meat, and who will not do so?
10. What is Uma's life like at the home of her new husband?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)