|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uma notice about Aruna in Chapter 8?
(a) Aruna is not sorry that she can't get marries.
(b) Aruna is very shy.
(c) Aruna instinctively knows how to dress and behave in public.
(d) Aruna is good at manipulating their mother.
2. Why does Uma give Ayah much of Uma's clothing?
(a) Uma wants Ayah to help her escape.
(b) Ayah blackmails Uma.
(c) Uma is the soul of generosity.
(d) So Ayah will leave Uma alone.
3. Who wants to take Uma to an ashram?
(a) She wants to take herself there.
4. How does Uma feel in comparison to Aruna?
(c) Intellectually superior.
(d) Awkward and dowdy.
5. What does Papa rant about on the train ride home from Uma’s new husband’s place?
(a) His sorrow that Uma has been embarrassed.
(b) The injustice of Uma's misfortune.
(c) That he had to leave Mama home alone to come rescue Uma.
(d) That poor people are being allowed on the forward cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do both families go when Aruna and her in-laws are visiting?
2. What does the prospective groom's father say that makes Mama want to arrange the marriage with that family?
3. Why is Papa so angry when the arranged marriage for Uma falls through?
4. What is the purpose of Anamika's beauty for her husband?
5. What decision do Uma's parents make that displeases her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa want the family to eat meat, and who will not do so?
2. How do Uma and Aruna feel about Anamika's engagement?
3. How does Uma and her family learn that the prospective groom is not interested in Uma?
4. How does Uma feel about Mira-Masi?
5. How does Uma feel about her eligibility for marriage and how is she expected to act?
6. How is Anamika's life after her marriage?
7. How does giving birth to a male child affect Mama's status?
8. How do Uma and Aruna respond to news of their mother's pregnancy?
9. What makes one possible husband for Uma not ideal, but why do Mama and Papa decide to negotiate anyway?
10. How does Uma compare herself to Aruna?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)