|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What annoys Mr. Patton about Rod and Melanie?
(a) That they do not want to go on summer vacation.
(b) That they do not do any chores around the house.
(c) That they have told Arun some family secrets.
(d) That they have decided to become vegetarian also.
2. In Chapter 11, what does Mrs. Joshi encourage Uma to consider doing?
(a) Joining the convent.
(b) Going to visit her brother in England.
(c) Getting a job.
(d) Going to stay with Aruna for a while.
3. With what does Mother Agnes want Uma's assistance?
(a) The Christmas play.
(c) The Christmas bazaar.
(d) The nursery school.
4. What does Melanie vehemently refuse the next morning?
(a) To take Rod with her to a party that night.
(b) To ride the school bus because her car is broken.
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) A ride to school.
5. Why does Arun go with Mrs. Patton and Melanie even though he does not want to do so?
(a) He hopes to be a good influence on Melanie.
(b) He cannot think of a reasonable excuse.
(c) He wants to get out of the way of Mr. Patton, who is angry.
(d) He feels pity for Mrs. Patton.
6. About what does Mrs. O'Henry ask Uma?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her last marriage.
(c) Her hopes for the future.
(d) Her brother.
7. To what does Arun contrast his life at the Patton household?
(a) To the quiet of his life growing up.
(b) To some of the sitcoms he watches on television.
(c) To the noisy, cluttered life he shared with him family in India.
(d) To the lack of expectations at the Patton household.
8. What is the result of Arun's cooking venture?
(a) The entire family wants to become vegetarian.
(b) Mrs. Patton is amused.
(c) Arun is embarrassed.
(d) The food is not good.
9. Where does Dr. Dutt want Uma to work?
(a) The Medical Institute.
10. Where is Arun's father hoping Arun can continue his education?
(b) Calcutta University.
(d) The United States.
11. About what does Mrs. Patton question Arun on the way home from the grocery store?
(a) If Melanie is still throwing up regularly.
(b) If Rod has a girlfriend.
(c) If Mrs. Patton looks fat.
(d) If he likes Melanie.
12. What does Arun find in the woods?
(a) Melanie lying on the ground covered in vomit.
(b) Melanie holding a book of poetry.
(c) Melanie holding a stray cat.
(d) Melanie having sex with her boyfriend.
13. What does Mr. Patton not acknowledge?
(a) The state of his family's mental health.
(b) Arun's opinions.
(c) His son's opinions.
(d) Mrs. Patton's desire for a vegetarian lifestyle.
14. How do Mama and Papa feel about Uma’s invitation from Mrs. O'Henry?
(a) They think coffee parties are silly and unnecessary.
(b) They are gratified that some of the foreigners take an interest in Uma.
(c) They fear Uma will believe the West is better than India.
(d) They fear the shower will depress Uma.
15. What was difficult for Arun during his first year at school?
(a) The lack of privacy.
(b) The lack of friends.
(c) The lack of letters from home.
(d) Understanding American slang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mira-Masi go to live?
2. What does Uma do that requires some boldness?
3. Where is Melanie when Arun leaves the Patton household at the end of the book?
4. What does Mrs. Patton say she and Arun can do together?
5. Where does Mrs. Patton seem to be able to relax?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)