|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Patton say she and Arun can do together?
(a) Go watch foreign films at the alternative movie theater.
(b) Play the ijini card game together.
(c) Eat vegetarian.
(d) Practice meditation.
2. What does Melanie vehemently refuse the next morning?
(a) A ride to school.
(b) To ride the school bus because her car is broken.
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) To take Rod with her to a party that night.
3. Where does Dr. Dutt want Uma to work?
(c) The Medical Institute.
4. What does Melanie eat after leaving the meal Arun cooks?
(a) Hershey bars.
(b) A package of Oreo cookies.
(c) Half a jar of peanut butter.
(d) Chocolate chip cookies.
5. What does Mrs. O'Henry give Uma?
(a) Some Christmas cards.
(b) Some books.
(c) Some clothing from her older daughter.
(d) A Bible.
6. For what was it Papa's job to prepare Arun?
(b) To know his superiority to females.
(c) The world of business.
(d) To take care of his sisters.
7. About what does Mrs. O'Henry ask Uma?
(a) Her hopes for the future.
(b) Her last marriage.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her parents.
8. Why does Arun go with Mrs. Patton and Melanie even though he does not want to do so?
(a) He feels pity for Mrs. Patton.
(b) He hopes to be a good influence on Melanie.
(c) He cannot think of a reasonable excuse.
(d) He wants to get out of the way of Mr. Patton, who is angry.
9. Who is Mali?
(a) Mira-Masi's attendant.
(b) Mira-Masi's sister.
(c) Uma's family's domestic help
(d) Uma's friend who lives down the street
10. What does Dr. Dutt want of Uma?
(a) For her to be a nanny for an American couple.
(b) Her help in running a nurses' dorm.
(c) For help in setting up a nursery.
(d) For her to be a nanny for an English couple.
11. What does Arun try to gain courage to do?
(a) Tell Mr. Patton that the daily meat grilling is sickening.
(b) Tell the Pattons he is moving into his own apartment.
(c) Tell Melanie he will help her.
(d) Mention Melanie's eating disorder to Mrs. Patton.
12. Why is Arun amazed that Mrs. Patton wants to go to the grocery store?
(a) Melanie needs help terribly and Mrs. Patton wants to go shopping.
(b) Rod is ill and needs to go to the doctor's office.
(c) The freezer is stuffed with food.
(d) It is almost 10 p.m.
13. Around what does Rod Patton's life revolve?
(b) Camping and hiking.
14. What does Arun see Melanie eating in the kitchen in Chapter 25?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Greasy ribs.
(d) Tablespoons of cocoa.
15. What particularly strikes Arun as he is walking to the Patton home?
(a) That the Pattons do not even know he is from India.
(b) The irony of going to live with Americans, which he used to want to do but no longer does.
(c) The tidy homes amidst verdant landscape.
(d) That Mrs. Patton is allowing an unmarried male to stay in the same home with her daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arun do when Melanie responds to seeing him in the woods?
2. What does Arun notice as he escapes the Patton's arguing?
3. What has Mrs. Patton not been able to overcome?
4. What is the implication of Mama's illness for Uma?
5. What does Uma do after she reaches her breaking point in Chapter 12?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)