|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uma's family get news of Anamika's death?
(a) A telegram.
(b) Her mother-in-law arrives to tell them.
(c) Her husband arrives to tell them.
(d) The police come and tell them.
2. What does Arun receive before he leaves for the dormitory?
(a) A package from Uma.
(b) A cancellation of his engagement from his betrothed family in India.
(c) A letter denying Arun financial aid at school.
(d) A letter from his betrothed in India.
3. Where does Mira-Masi go to live?
(a) She decides to stay near Uma's family.
(b) A temple in the Himalayas.
(c) An Ashram in southern India.
(d) Back to her family's roots in a tiny town near Pakistan.
4. What is Melanie eating when Arun first sees her?
(b) A donut.
(c) A bagel.
(d) A Babe Ruth bar.
5. What word does Uma say defines her brother's childhood?
6. What does Arun give Mrs. Patton as a parting gift?
(a) A book on meditation.
(c) The shawl and tea.
(d) A vegetarian cookbook.
7. How do the other guests act about the food Mrs. O'Henry serves?
8. What does Arun try to gain courage to do?
(a) Tell Mr. Patton that the daily meat grilling is sickening.
(b) Tell Melanie he will help her.
(c) Mention Melanie's eating disorder to Mrs. Patton.
(d) Tell the Pattons he is moving into his own apartment.
9. What does Arun find in the woods?
(a) Melanie having sex with her boyfriend.
(b) Melanie holding a stray cat.
(c) Melanie lying on the ground covered in vomit.
(d) Melanie holding a book of poetry.
10. What was Arun expected to do every night after school?
(a) Tutor his sisters.
(b) Get physically fit.
(c) Study with his tutors.
(d) Help his father in his law office.
11. How do Mama and Papa feel about Uma’s invitation from Mrs. O'Henry?
(a) They are gratified that some of the foreigners take an interest in Uma.
(b) They think coffee parties are silly and unnecessary.
(c) They fear the shower will depress Uma.
(d) They fear Uma will believe the West is better than India.
12. With what does Mother Agnes want Uma's assistance?
(a) The Christmas play.
(c) The Christmas bazaar.
(d) The nursery school.
13. What does Arun have difficulty comprehending?
(a) Melanie's angst.
(b) Why Americans value pets so much.
(c) Why Mrs. Patton refuses to see the truth about Melanie.
(d) The way Melanie's boyfriend treats her.
14. How does Arun feel when he goes with Mrs. Patton to the grocery store?
(a) Irritated that she drags him along.
(b) Awe and disgust.
(d) Intimidated by all of the choices.
15. About what does Mrs. O'Henry ask Uma?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her last marriage.
(d) Her hopes for the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is particularly "foreign" to Arun at college?
2. How much time does Papa allow for Arun to exercise?
3. What does Dr. Dutt say is wrong with Uma's mother?
4. Why does Arun go with Mrs. Patton and Melanie even though he does not want to do so?
5. Why does receiving an aerogramme from Papa irritate Arun?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)