|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Uma's response when the man interested in marrying her arrives at her house?
2. Why does Papa come to where Uma is staying after she is married?
(a) To fetch Uma home.
(b) To make certain Uma is being treated well.
(c) To let her know that Aruna has died.
(d) To bring Uma her belongings.
3. How does Papa act once he gets home from the hospital after Mama delivers a baby boy?
(c) Anxious about finances.
(d) As if nothing had happened.
4. How does Mama feel about the trip they make with Aruna’s in-laws?
(a) As boring.
(b) As proof of one's religious fervor.
(d) Potentially dangerous.
5. What happens when Uma is told she has the mark of the Lord?
(a) Uma packs her bags and leaves.
(b) Uma feels happy.
(c) Uma cries.
(d) Uma goes into a trance.
6. Who does Uma call when her parents are out in Chapter 9?
(c) Mrs. O'Henry.
7. How often does Aruna bring her children to visit her parents and Uma?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Every other weekend.
(c) Most Saturdays.
8. Where does Uma go to dinner with a relative?
(a) The Prasidor.
(b) The Ritz.
(c) Carlton Hotel.
(d) At a bachelor's home.
9. What is the purpose of Anamika's beauty for her husband?
(a) To further his social and business future.
(b) To sully.
(c) To show his brother that he is superior.
(d) To make himself feel better.
10. Why does Uma seldom have privacy anymore by Chapter 4?
(a) Her mother has two more children.
(b) Her brother bothers her constantly to play with him.
(c) Her parents seldom leave the house.
(d) Her sister is still at home and unmarried and looks to Uma for companionship.
11. When does Mira-Masi occasionally appear at Uma's home?
(a) When Mira-Masi's husband sends her away for some time.
(b) When Uma's father demands Mira-Masi's presence.
(c) When Mira-Masi needs more money from Papa.
(d) When Mira-Masi is en route to some spiritual adventure or pilgrimage.
12. How old is Uma at the opening to Chapter 3?
13. What does Mama tell Uma she must say to a man who comes to see her?
(a) That Uma volunteers at the local school.
(b) That Arun made the treats.
(c) That Uma knows how to run a large household.
(d) That Uma made the treats that are being served.
14. How does Uma feel in comparison to Aruna?
(b) Awkward and dowdy.
(c) Intellectually superior.
15. Why does Uma give Ayah much of Uma's clothing?
(a) Ayah blackmails Uma.
(b) Uma is the soul of generosity.
(c) So Ayah will leave Uma alone.
(d) Uma wants Ayah to help her escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what religion does Mira-Masi tell stories to Uma and Aruna?
2. What happens with Mira-Masi when she leaves Mama and Papa's home to go to the ashram?
3. Where does Uma go after making her phone call in Chapter 9?
4. Why do some of the pilgrims strike Uma on the back?
5. What does Uma spend her life doing?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)