|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens about Uma's marriage?
(a) Uma remains married but lives at the convent.
(b) It is annulled.
(c) It is not said what happens about her marriage.
(d) Uma remains married but lives with her parents.
2. Where does Uma go after making her phone call in Chapter 9?
(a) To sleep on the sofa.
(b) To soak in the tub.
(c) Out for a walk.
(d) The veranda.
3. What decision do Uma's parents make that displeases her?
(a) Uma will not return to the convent school.
(b) Uma will go to boarding school in the fall.
(c) Uma must marry a young man she despises.
(d) Uma has to stay in India instead of going to the United States for school.
4. What does Uma collect?
(a) Christmas cards.
5. Why is Papa so angry when the arranged marriage for Uma falls through?
(a) Uma will never be able to marry now.
(b) The groom's family spent the dowry.
(c) There is not actually a son in the family.
(d) The groom has said things to sully Uma's reputation.
6. What is the result of the birth of Arun on Mama's position in the community?
(a) It is elevated.
(b) It stays the same.
(c) It is more complex.
(d) It is more stable.
7. What does the prospective groom's father say that makes Mama want to arrange the marriage with that family?
(a) That the bride would live in a fine new home.
(b) That the groom is attending school in the U.S.
(c) That the bride would have a servant.
(d) That the groom has an available younger brother for Aruna.
8. What is unfortunate for Aruna when she becomes of marriageable age?
(a) She cannot marry until Uma does.
(b) She is barren.
(c) She is clubfoot.
(d) She is rather ugly.
9. How does Mira-Masi explain the two failed attempts at marriage for Uma?
(b) The men were not worthy of Uma.
(c) Uma is called to a higher purpose.
(d) Uma created the situation herself.
10. What does Mrs. Joshi say about the groom's family?
(a) They are from the lower class.
(b) They have a reputation for honor.
(c) They have a reputation for being unscrupulous.
(d) They would be very bad for Uma.
11. When does Mira-Masi occasionally appear at Uma's home?
(a) When Mira-Masi is en route to some spiritual adventure or pilgrimage.
(b) When Mira-Masi needs more money from Papa.
(c) When Uma's father demands Mira-Masi's presence.
(d) When Mira-Masi's husband sends her away for some time.
12. Why does Uma seldom have privacy anymore by Chapter 4?
(a) Her sister is still at home and unmarried and looks to Uma for companionship.
(b) Her brother bothers her constantly to play with him.
(c) Her mother has two more children.
(d) Her parents seldom leave the house.
13. What is Uma's response when the man interested in marrying her arrives at her house?
14. Where does Anamika live after marriage?
(b) The United States.
15. What stands in stark contrast to Uma's wedding plans?
(a) Arun's wedding plans.
(b) Aruna's wedding plans.
(c) Uma's Christmas cards.
(d) Uma's coin collections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uma spend her life doing?
2. Why does Uma give Ayah much of Uma's clothing?
3. What irritates Papa when they go to the park?
4. How does Aruna see her parents in relation to her in-laws?
5. What does Uma regret about the trip with Aruna and Aruna's in-laws?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)