Part 1, Chapters 1 - 2
1. What two countries are the settings for “Fasting, Feasting”?
(a) The United States and Malaysia.
(b) India and the United States.
(c) The United States and China.
(d) The Unites States and Napal.
2. What does Uma spend her life doing?
(a) Searching for the perfect husband.
(b) Working at a floor loom.
(c) Plotting revenge.
(d) Being subservient to her parents' demands.
3. Where is Arun at the opening of the novel?
(a) In Italy.
(b) In England.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In India.
4. What is Papa's vocation?
5. Around what does Mama build her life?
(a) Meeting Papa's needs.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Understanding people.
(d) Securing her daughter's happiness.
6. What does Papa do every day after work?
(a) Play cricket.
(b) Call his father.
(c) Visit the temple.
(d) Play tennis.
7. What do Mama and Papa do on occasional evenings at the club?
(a) Play cars.
(b) Play shuffleboard.
(d) Bet or horse races.
8. To what kind of life do Uma and Arun resign themselves?
(b) Intellectual stimulation but strict.
(c) Comfort and boredom.
This section contains 5,412 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)