|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cattle that are either maintained in a company-owned feedlot or purchased in advance through forward contracts are known as ________.
2. What do Ray Kroc and Walt Disney join to see battle in Europe in 1917?
3. How much do people who speak at the "Success" events make?
4. What do prospective managers train for at Hamburger University?
5. What is the primary medium of children's advertising?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
2. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
3. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
4. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
5. How do ranchers become victim to their own fallacy of composition in the 1970's?
6. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
7. What effect does the growth of fast food chains have on the beef industry?
8. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
9. What largely determines an Idaho potato farmer's annual income?
10. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
Essay Topic 3
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)