|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ray Kroc's philosophy of QSC and V stand for?
2. Disney's broadcast of "Our Friend the Atom" is sponsored by which manufacturing company?
3. Subway is founded in 1965 by whom?
4. Colorado has lost how many acres of ranch land to development in the last twenty years?
5. In 1996, which agency investigates the concentration of large meat-packing companies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the automobile industry not content with just reaping the rewards of government-subsidized road construction?
2. What are some of Carl Karcher's ideas that should have remained on the drawing board?
3. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
4. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
5. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
6. How does the consumer react to McDonald's switch from fresh to frozen french fries?
7. Despite differences between the two men, how is Walt Disney a role model for Ray Kroc?
8. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
9. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
10. What is a development agent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the different jobs in a slaughterhouse. Include the tools used and the inherent dangers in each job.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the sales pitch given to the city of Lexington, Nebraska by IBP to get citizens to allow a slaughterhouse be built there. How was this sales pitch a far cry from the reality that Lexington lives with today?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)