Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which county was planning to build a highway right through the heart of Hank's ranch?
2. According to historian Harvey Levenstein, when was the "Golden Age of Food Processing"?
3. In 1941, hundreds of Disney animators go on strike, expressing support for what organization?
4. What is the nickname of Colorado Springs?
5. What is responsible for converting the Idaho desert into lush farmland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
3. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
4. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
9. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
10. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
Essay Topic 1
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mike Harper of ConAgra manipulate the Nebraska tax code? Which governor was involved? What tax breaks did he want? How do these breaks help other companies? What threat did he make if his demands were not met? What did he do after he got everything he wanted?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the practices that get ConAgra Foods into legal trouble. Which aspects of their business are involved? How are they punished?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)