|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do people who speak at the "Success" events make?
2. Whose previous appearance at the "Success" seminar spurs other celebrities to speak at them?
3. Which county was planning to build a highway right through the heart of Hank's ranch?
4. Who benefits most from the big tax deductions from donating to the Colorado land trusts?
5. At the "Success" seminar, what is the prize for winning the dance contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rancher Hank's form of range management?
2. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
3. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
4. According to one account, why does the deal to put McDonald's in Disneyland initially fall through?
5. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
6. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
7. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
8. How does the software program Quintillion work?
9. How are poultry contracts constructed?
10. What effect does the growth of fast food chains have on the beef industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 3
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)