|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the McDonald brothers call their system of service?
2. Who founds Dunkin' Donuts?
3. Disney's broadcast of "Our Friend the Atom" is sponsored by which manufacturing company?
4. Chicken meat had been traditionally provided by hens too ______ to lay eggs.
5. What technology firm does Simplot invest in in 1980?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
2. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
3. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
4. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
5. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
6. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
7. How is the poultry industry transformed in the 1980's?
8. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
9. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
10. What are some of Carl Karcher's ideas that should have remained on the drawing board?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do fast food companies market products to children? In what ways do companies maximize their products' exposure to kids once they become interested? What are some of the categories of "juvenile nagging tactics"? How are parents marketed to to maximize the child market?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sales pitch given to the city of Lexington, Nebraska by IBP to get citizens to allow a slaughterhouse be built there. How was this sales pitch a far cry from the reality that Lexington lives with today?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does IBP have on the meat-packing industry? How does the nature of labor change in the meat-packing industry? Who are the major players involved and how does their involvement contribute to the company's getting into legal trouble?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)