|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1997, what does Rod Taylor of Brandweek say was one of the most successful promotions in the history of American advertising?
2. Who wrote the book, Broken Heartland?
3. Chicken meat had been traditionally provided by hens too ______ to lay eggs.
4. In what county does Anaheim, California reside?
5. At the writing of this book, which company manufactures the latest new, bright red potato harvesting equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Carl Karcher's ideas that should have remained on the drawing board?
2. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
3. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
4. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
5. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
6. How is the poultry industry transformed in the 1980's?
7. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
8. Why are teenagers perfect candidates for working in the fast food industry?
9. Despite differences between the two men, how is Walt Disney a role model for Ray Kroc?
10. What is Carl Karcher's personal philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Henry Ford's assembly line style of production affects evolution of service in the fast food industry. What restaurant chains espouse this method of production? Why is it so effective?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)