|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary flavoring that gives McDonald's french fries their distinctive taste?
2. How does Michael Witzel characterize the drive-in restaurants of the early 1940's?
3. Subway is founded in 1965 by whom?
4. According to historian Harvey Levenstein, when was the "Golden Age of Food Processing"?
5. Which Canadian firm becomes the number-two fry company after buying Ore-Ida in 1997?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
2. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
3. How does the software program Quintillion work?
4. Why is the automobile industry not content with just reaping the rewards of government-subsidized road construction?
5. Why does Carl's Jr. stock fall during the 1980's?
6. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
7. Why are teenagers perfect candidates for working in the fast food industry?
8. What is a development agent?
9. In James Dobson's (Focus on the Family founder) opinion, how should children be raised?
10. What largely determines an Idaho potato farmer's annual income?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does IBP have on the meat-packing industry? How does the nature of labor change in the meat-packing industry? Who are the major players involved and how does their involvement contribute to the company's getting into legal trouble?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mike Harper of ConAgra manipulate the Nebraska tax code? Which governor was involved? What tax breaks did he want? How do these breaks help other companies? What threat did he make if his demands were not met? What did he do after he got everything he wanted?
Essay Topic 3
How do fast food companies market products to children? In what ways do companies maximize their products' exposure to kids once they become interested? What are some of the categories of "juvenile nagging tactics"? How are parents marketed to to maximize the child market?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)