|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Colorado has lost how many acres of ranch land to development in the last twenty years?
2. In 1997, what does Rod Taylor of Brandweek say was one of the most successful promotions in the history of American advertising?
3. Which company does Carl Karcher team up with to save Carl's Jr.?
4. What is the apparent ideal for employees in the restaurant industry?
5. How is the metropolis of Los Angeles characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
2. How do ranchers become victim to their own fallacy of composition in the 1970's?
3. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
4. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
5. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
6. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
7. Why does Carl Karcher think Anaheim is "heaven" when he moves there from Ohio?
8. Why are teenagers perfect candidates for working in the fast food industry?
9. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
10. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the different jobs in a slaughterhouse. Include the tools used and the inherent dangers in each job.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)