Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which county was planning to build a highway right through the heart of Hank's ranch?
2. According to historian Harvey Levenstein, when was the "Golden Age of Food Processing"?
3. In 1941, hundreds of Disney animators go on strike, expressing support for what organization?
4. What is the nickname of Colorado Springs?
5. What is responsible for converting the Idaho desert into lush farmland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
3. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
4. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
9. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
10. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
Essay Topic 3
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)