|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1996, which agency investigates the concentration of large meat-packing companies?
2. What does William H. Fry of the University of Michigan call the migration from southern California to the Rocky Mountain West?
3. How does Michael Witzel characterize the drive-in restaurants of the early 1940's?
4. How much money does Dave Feamster owe Little Caesar's before he sells his first pizza?
5. In 1972, Ray Kroc gives $250,000 to whose presidential campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
2. What largely determines an Idaho potato farmer's annual income?
3. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
4. In James Dobson's (Focus on the Family founder) opinion, how should children be raised?
5. What is Carl Karcher's personal philosophy?
6. What causes the wide gulf between Colorado Springs and Pueblo?
7. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
8. How does the consumer react to McDonald's switch from fresh to frozen french fries?
9. Why does Carl Karcher think Anaheim is "heaven" when he moves there from Ohio?
10. Why does Carl's Jr. stock fall during the 1980's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does IBP have on the meat-packing industry? How does the nature of labor change in the meat-packing industry? Who are the major players involved and how does their involvement contribute to the company's getting into legal trouble?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)