Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which county was planning to build a highway right through the heart of Hank's ranch?
2. According to historian Harvey Levenstein, when was the "Golden Age of Food Processing"?
3. In 1941, hundreds of Disney animators go on strike, expressing support for what organization?
4. What is the nickname of Colorado Springs?
5. What is responsible for converting the Idaho desert into lush farmland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
3. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
4. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
9. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
10. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the practices that get ConAgra Foods into legal trouble. Which aspects of their business are involved? How are they punished?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)