|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which county was planning to build a highway right through the heart of Hank's ranch?
2. According to historian Harvey Levenstein, when was the "Golden Age of Food Processing"?
3. In 1941, hundreds of Disney animators go on strike, expressing support for what organization?
4. What is the nickname of Colorado Springs?
5. What is responsible for converting the Idaho desert into lush farmland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
3. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
4. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
9. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
10. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sales pitch given to the city of Lexington, Nebraska by IBP to get citizens to allow a slaughterhouse be built there. How was this sales pitch a far cry from the reality that Lexington lives with today?
Essay Topic 3
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)