|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the religious group that James Dobson moves to Colorado Springs from Pomona, California?
2. What is phosphate used for in potato farming?
3. Chicken meat had been traditionally provided by hens too ______ to lay eggs.
4. Which company does Carl Karcher team up with to save Carl's Jr.?
5. Which school district in Colorado Springs starts a nationwide trend to place fast food ads in its hallways?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
2. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
3. What effect does the growth of fast food chains have on the beef industry?
4. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
5. How does the character Ronald McDonald come to be?
6. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
7. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
8. What is the rancher Hank's form of range management?
9. How is the poultry industry transformed in the 1980's?
10. How are poultry contracts constructed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the lives of Ray Kroc and Walt Disney. Include their personal histories, their business philosophies, and their interactions with each other.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mike Harper of ConAgra manipulate the Nebraska tax code? Which governor was involved? What tax breaks did he want? How do these breaks help other companies? What threat did he make if his demands were not met? What did he do after he got everything he wanted?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)