|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chicken meat had been traditionally provided by hens too ______ to lay eggs.
2. What do the McDonald brothers call their system of service?
3. In 1996, which agency investigates the concentration of large meat-packing companies?
4. Cattle that are either maintained in a company-owned feedlot or purchased in advance through forward contracts are known as ________.
5. Which company does Carl Karcher team up with to save Carl's Jr.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rancher Hank's form of range management?
2. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
3. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
4. Why are teenagers perfect candidates for working in the fast food industry?
5. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
6. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
7. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
8. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
9. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
10. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Henry Ford's assembly line style of production affects evolution of service in the fast food industry. What restaurant chains espouse this method of production? Why is it so effective?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)