|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William H. Fry of the University of Michigan call the migration from southern California to the Rocky Mountain West?
2. Which school district in Colorado Springs starts a nationwide trend to place fast food ads in its hallways?
3. The leading sectors of the nation's economy are controlled by corporate alliances known as _______.
4. Where does Simplot open a phosphate mine?
5. Who comes up with the idea for the Chicken McNugget in 1979?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
2. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
3. Why are teenagers perfect candidates for working in the fast food industry?
4. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
5. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
6. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
7. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
8. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
9. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
10. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)