|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of monopoly is where there is a market of a small number of buyers exert power over a large number of sellers?
2. What machine does Simplot buy to dehydrate onions?
3. In 1972, Ray Kroc gives $250,000 to whose presidential campaign?
4. In the Ray A. Kroc museum, what appears when certain buttons are pushed?
5. What is phosphate used for in potato farming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
2. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
3. What is a development agent?
4. Why does Carl Karcher think Anaheim is "heaven" when he moves there from Ohio?
5. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
6. How do ranchers become victim to their own fallacy of composition in the 1970's?
7. What causes the wide gulf between Colorado Springs and Pueblo?
8. How does the character Ronald McDonald come to be?
9. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
10. Why does Disney create "Tomorrowland"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the affects that the influx of migrant workers has on communities where the meatpacking industry exists. What attracts people from south of the border to want to work America? How are the companies at fault for the negative impact on the local health care systems? What promises have GFI America make to workers from Eagle Pass, Texas that had a negative impact on the economy?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)