|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cattle that are either maintained in a company-owned feedlot or purchased in advance through forward contracts are known as ________.
2. What do the McDonald brothers call their system of service?
3. Which law is passed that makes it illegal for fast food websites to ask for personal information from children?
4. How much does it cost per acre to grow potatoes in Bingham County?
5. What is the name of the religious group that James Dobson moves to Colorado Springs from Pomona, California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
2. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
3. How does the character Ronald McDonald come to be?
4. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
5. How is the poultry industry transformed in the 1980's?
6. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
7. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
8. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
9. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
10. According to one account, why does the deal to put McDonald's in Disneyland initially fall through?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Ray Kroc and Walt Disney. Include their personal histories, their business philosophies, and their interactions with each other.
Essay Topic 3
What effect does IBP have on the meat-packing industry? How does the nature of labor change in the meat-packing industry? Who are the major players involved and how does their involvement contribute to the company's getting into legal trouble?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)