|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the annual turnover rate in the fast food industry at the writing of this book?
2. What is Ray Kroc doing when he first visited McDonald's in 1954?
3. Where is the food that is "assembled" at Taco Bell restaurants actually made?
4. What percentage of American children between the ages of three and nine visit a McDonald's?
5. How does Michael Witzel characterize the drive-in restaurants of the early 1940's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
2. Why does Colorado Springs gain a series of new military bases after World War II?
3. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
4. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
5. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
6. Why does Carl Karcher think Anaheim is "heaven" when he moves there from Ohio?
7. According to one account, why does the deal to put McDonald's in Disneyland initially fall through?
8. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
9. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
10. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the different jobs in a slaughterhouse. Include the tools used and the inherent dangers in each job.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)