|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Carl Karcher marry?
2. Subway is founded in 1965 by whom?
3. What percentage of American children between the ages of three and nine visit a McDonald's?
4. How does Michael Witzel characterize the drive-in restaurants of the early 1940's?
5. In 1996, which agency investigates the concentration of large meat-packing companies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the wide gulf between Colorado Springs and Pueblo?
2. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
3. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
4. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
5. Why does Carl Karcher think Anaheim is "heaven" when he moves there from Ohio?
6. In James Dobson's (Focus on the Family founder) opinion, how should children be raised?
7. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
8. How does the character Ronald McDonald come to be?
9. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
10. What is a development agent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the affects that the influx of migrant workers has on communities where the meatpacking industry exists. What attracts people from south of the border to want to work America? How are the companies at fault for the negative impact on the local health care systems? What promises have GFI America make to workers from Eagle Pass, Texas that had a negative impact on the economy?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)