|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ray Kroc doing when he first visited McDonald's in 1954?
2. What technology firm does Simplot invest in in 1980?
3. Which president enacts the Interstate Highway Act, modeled after Adolph Hitler's autobahn system?
4. For more than three decades, the fast food industry uses what federal agency to finance new restaurants?
5. How much do people who speak at the "Success" events make?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
2. How does the character Ronald McDonald come to be?
3. What happens when a franchise operator fails to follow the McDonald's operation and training manual?
4. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
5. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
6. How does the software program Quintillion work?
7. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
8. Despite differences between the two men, how is Walt Disney a role model for Ray Kroc?
9. What is a development agent?
10. How are poultry contracts constructed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the affects that the influx of migrant workers has on communities where the meatpacking industry exists. What attracts people from south of the border to want to work America? How are the companies at fault for the negative impact on the local health care systems? What promises have GFI America make to workers from Eagle Pass, Texas that had a negative impact on the economy?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)