|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fast food company is one of the first to start selling franchises?
2. What type of monopoly is where there is a market of a small number of buyers exert power over a large number of sellers?
3. Where is the food that is "assembled" at Taco Bell restaurants actually made?
4. Who is last to speak at the "Success" seminar and "cuts through all the snake oil", saying that all the conventional goals people have don't really matter?
5. What is the initial franchising fee Ray Kroc charges to open a McDonald's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors may have contributed to the rancher Hank's suicide?
2. What causes the fast food chain expansion in Colorado Springs to thrive so well?
3. How do ranchers become victim to their own fallacy of composition in the 1970's?
4. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
5. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
6. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
7. Why is the automobile industry not content with just reaping the rewards of government-subsidized road construction?
8. What are some of Carl Karcher's ideas that should have remained on the drawing board?
9. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
10. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the affects that the influx of migrant workers has on communities where the meatpacking industry exists. What attracts people from south of the border to want to work America? How are the companies at fault for the negative impact on the local health care systems? What promises have GFI America make to workers from Eagle Pass, Texas that had a negative impact on the economy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)