|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of tale is Carl Karcher considered to be an example of?
2. Republican Congressman Howard Coble, who introduces legislation to regulate franchising, is from which state?
3. Gaining the McNugget contract turns which company into the nation's largest chicken processor?
4. Ray Kroc is a jazz musician what time period?
5. Subway is founded in 1965 by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
2. What is Carl Karcher's personal philosophy?
3. What largely determines an Idaho potato farmer's annual income?
4. What are some of the requirements made in franchise contracts offered by fast food chains?
5. What is a development agent?
6. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
7. What strategy does Ray Kroc's business partner, Harry J. Sonneborn, devise to ensure McDonald's financial success?
8. What effect does the growth of fast food chains have on the beef industry?
9. Why is the automobile industry not content with just reaping the rewards of government-subsidized road construction?
10. Why does Dave Feamster get into business owning a Little Caesar's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)