|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the motorcycle club that springs up in Southern California after World War II?
2. Who is last to speak at the "Success" seminar and "cuts through all the snake oil", saying that all the conventional goals people have don't really matter?
3. How many pounds of potatoes does the J.R. Simplot plant in Aberdeen, Idaho produce?
4. What is phosphate used for in potato farming?
5. In 1941, hundreds of Disney animators go on strike, expressing support for what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to one account, why does the deal to put McDonald's in Disneyland initially fall through?
2. How does the consumer react to McDonald's switch from fresh to frozen french fries?
3. How do the patterns of land ownership in the American West seem to closely resemble those of rural England?
4. What causes the wide gulf between Colorado Springs and Pueblo?
5. Why does General Motors get into the franchise business in 1898?
6. What is meant by the term "bulk commodity"?
7. How do ranchers become victim to their own fallacy of composition in the 1970's?
8. What odd mix of traits makes J.R. Simplot so successful?
9. Why does Ray Kroc tell a reporter in 1972 that it is ridiculous to call the fast food industry an "industry"?
10. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)