|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes over Southern California, completely changing the lifestyle of the population there?
2. What professional sport does Dave Feamster play before buying into a Little Caesar's franchise?
3. Republican Congressman Howard Coble, who introduces legislation to regulate franchising, is from which state?
4. What is the largest daily newspaper in Colorado Springs?
5. What is phosphate used for in potato farming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides his success in the food business, what else has contributed to J.R. Simplot's wealth?
2. What largely determines an Idaho potato farmer's annual income?
3. How are poultry contracts constructed?
4. How does the software program Quintillion work?
5. What do the McDonald brothers do in 1948 to change the food retail business and why?
6. Despite differences between the two men, how is Walt Disney a role model for Ray Kroc?
7. How does the consumer react to McDonald's switch from fresh to frozen french fries?
8. What is Carl Karcher's personal philosophy?
9. According to the author, what is the purpose of the episodes of the television show, Disneyland?
10. How is the poultry industry transformed in the 1980's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)