|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
2. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The kill floor.
(b) The sticker shack.
(c) The fab room.
(d) The rest area.
3. The Internet at the heart of today's economy started out as what?
(a) A video game.
(b) A spy network.
(c) A business ethernet.
(d) A military communications network.
4. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
(d) Norwalk virus.
5. What is now the favorite drink among Chinese children?
(a) Dr. Pepper.
(b) Rice milk.
(c) Soy milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
2. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
3. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
4. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
5. Who announces that it is putting a new restaurant in every Wal-Mart in Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
2. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
3. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
4. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
5. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
6. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
7. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
8. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
9. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
10. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)