|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(a) Boston Market.
(b) Taco Bell.
2. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
(a) Leftover cheese.
(b) Spoiled produce.
(c) Plate waste.
3. Who is the president of STOP (Safe Tables Our Priority)?
(a) Suzanne Somers.
(b) Kay Orr.
(c) Barbara Boxer.
(d) Nancy Donley.
4. Where do some meatpacking workers cook little bits of meat on a shift?
(a) In their hard hads.
(b) In their sterilizers.
(c) On the converyer belt motor.
(d) On the cremator.
5. What illness caused by the toxin in E. coli O157-H7 can lead to kidney failure, anemia, internal bleeding, and the destruction of vital organs?
(b) Ardalan-Shoja-Kiuru syndrome.
(c) Acrocallosal syndrome.
(d) Hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
2. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
3. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
4. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
5. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
2. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
3. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
4. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
5. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
6. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
7. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
8. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
9. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
10. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)