|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
(a) Ramon Vasquez.
(b) Ruben Ramirez.
(c) Simon Gutierrez.
(d) Alex Molnar.
2. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
(a) Nancy Pelosi.
(b) Kay Orr.
(c) John Murkowski.
(d) Tom Daschel.
3. Who writes the book, The Jungle, in 1906?
(a) John Updike.
(b) Mary Shelley.
(c) Upton Sinclair.
(d) Henry Miller.
4. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
5. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
(a) City dumps.
(b) Septic systems.
(c) Irrigation ditches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
2. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
3. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
4. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
5. What illness caused by the toxin in E. coli O157-H7 can lead to kidney failure, anemia, internal bleeding, and the destruction of vital organs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
2. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
3. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
4. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
5. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
6. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
7. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
8. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
9. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
10. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)