|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
(a) Nancy Pelosi.
(b) John Murkowski.
(c) Kay Orr.
(d) Tom Daschel.
2. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
(b) Plate waste.
(c) Leftover cheese.
(d) Spoiled produce.
3. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The sticker.
(b) The executioner.
(c) The slicer.
(d) The poker.
4. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
5. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(a) White Castle.
(c) Burger King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of toxin is released form E. coli O157-H7?
2. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
3. Who announces that it is putting a new restaurant in every Wal-Mart in Germany?
4. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
5. What is now the favorite drink among Chinese children?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
2. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
3. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
4. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
5. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
6. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
7. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
8. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
9. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
10. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)