|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
(a) In-N-Out Burger.
(b) P.F. Chang's.
(c) Boston Market.
(d) California Pizza Kitchen.
2. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
(a) Septic systems.
(b) Irrigation ditches.
(c) City dumps.
3. Which room in the meatpacking plant contains machines that assemble cardboard boxes and vacuum seal meat in plastic?
(a) The rump room.
(b) The fabricating room.
(c) The kill floor.
(d) The butcher shop.
4. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
(b) Notre Dame.
5. Rich Conway helps run which family business?
(a) Lasater Ranch.
(b) Red Top Restaurant.
(c) Red X grocery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
2. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
3. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
4. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
5. The East German Secret Police are called ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
2. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
3. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
4. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
5. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
6. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
9. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
10. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)