|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
(a) Jack Greenberg.
(b) Ray Kroc.
(c) Thomas Macon.
(d) Mike Eisner.
2. What does McDonald's call its hope for the conquest of foreign markets?
(a) Global realization.
(b) World domination.
(c) International foodism.
(d) The Burger Wave.
3. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
(a) Plate waste.
(b) Spoiled produce.
(c) Leftover cheese.
4. What illness caused by the toxin in E. coli O157-H7 can lead to kidney failure, anemia, internal bleeding, and the destruction of vital organs?
(a) Acrocallosal syndrome.
(c) Hemolytic uremic syndrome.
(d) Ardalan-Shoja-Kiuru syndrome.
5. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
(a) Demilitarized zone.
(d) German Democratic Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
2. Which is the only state in the union to allow companies to leave the worker's comp system and set up its own system for dealing with injuries?
3. Where do some meatpacking workers cook little bits of meat on a shift?
4. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
5. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
2. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
3. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
4. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
5. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
6. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
7. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
8. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
9. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
10. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)