|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the communist rule of East Germany, the successful manufacturing of what product causes high pollution in the city?
(a) Battery acid.
(b) Cotton paper.
(c) Flax seed oil.
(d) Synthetic wool.
2. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(a) Taco Bell.
(d) Boston Market.
3. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
4. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
(a) Low injury rate reports.
(b) Long hours.
(c) Employee morale.
(d) Efficient production.
5. What is the name of the supervisor given in the book who belittles his employees injuries, cursing them out, and shouting at his workers to move faster?
(a) John LeMonde.
(b) Johann Legrand.
(c) Simon Legree.
(d) Simon LeMond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
2. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
3. Rich Conway helps run which family business?
4. In the 1920's, Plauen has the most millionaires in Germany and the most _____.
5. Which is the only state in the union to allow companies to leave the worker's comp system and set up its own system for dealing with injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
2. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
3. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
4. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
7. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
8. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
9. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
10. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)