|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(a) Confession of personal negligence.
(b) Consent form.
(c) Short-term contract.
2. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
(a) Nathan Meeker.
(b) Horace Greeley.
(c) Ken Monfort.
(d) Mike Harper.
3. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
(a) Ramon Vasquez.
(b) Ruben Ramirez.
(c) Simon Gutierrez.
(d) Alex Molnar.
4. What type of toxin is released form E. coli O157-H7?
(a) An alpha-toxin.
(b) A Shiga toxin.
(c) A pyrogenic exotoxin.
(d) A Diphtheria toxin.
5. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(b) E. coli O157:H7.
Short Answer Questions
1. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
2. What is the name of the small electric knives with spinning, round blades that workers use to carve meat?
3. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
4. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
5. David M. Theno helped which California poultry processor eliminate Salmonella from most of its birds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
2. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
3. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
4. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
5. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
6. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
9. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
10. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)