|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The East German Secret Police are called ______.
2. Which kind of grass-fed, lower fat beef considered a gourmet item and may be less likely to spread E. coli?
(c) Stockyard Special.
3. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
(a) Ken Monfort.
(b) Horace Greeley.
(c) Nathan Meeker.
(d) Mike Harper.
4. What is the primary export of Plauen, Germany before World War I?
5. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The sticker shack.
(b) The kill floor.
(c) The rest area.
(d) The fab room.
6. How high can the percentage of cattle that carries E. coli O157:H7 get in the summer?
(a) Fifty percent.
(b) Twenty-five percent.
(c) One percent.
(d) Forty percent.
7. What do some workers need to make themselves feel charged up and self-confident?
(a) Pep talks.
(c) Sugara pills.
8. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
(a) Fluoride and sodium.
(b) Hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride.
(c) Glycerine and borax.
(d) Chlorine bleach and water.
9. Which company's name translates to "partnership with the land"?
(d) Lamb Weston.
10. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
11. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
(b) Notre Dame.
12. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
(a) Tom Pendergast.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Moe Stenman.
(d) John Gotti.
13. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
(a) Tom Daschel.
(b) Kay Orr.
(c) John Murkowski.
(d) Nancy Pelosi.
14. What is considered the most important tool in the modern slaughterhouse?
(a) A sharp knife.
(b) A good lawyer.
(c) A tough attitude.
(d) Your wits.
15. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(b) Short-term contract.
(c) Consent form.
(d) Confession of personal negligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
2. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
3. What is now the favorite drink among Chinese children?
4. What town is near Lasater Ranch?
5. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)