|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
(a) Demilitarized zone.
(d) German Democratic Republic.
2. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The kill floor.
(b) The rest area.
(c) The fab room.
(d) The sticker shack.
3. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
(d) Notre Dame.
4. What are long-haired, working class German fans of American heavy metal music called in Plauen?
(a) Die Hammers.
(b) Die Rockers.
(c) Die Heavies.
(d) Die Metalheads.
5. Which is the only state in the union to allow companies to leave the worker's comp system and set up its own system for dealing with injuries?
6. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(b) E. coli O157:H7.
7. What illness caused by the toxin in E. coli O157-H7 can lead to kidney failure, anemia, internal bleeding, and the destruction of vital organs?
(a) Hemolytic uremic syndrome.
(b) Acrocallosal syndrome.
(c) Ardalan-Shoja-Kiuru syndrome.
8. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(d) Lockheed Martin.
9. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
(a) Nutritious school meals.
(b) Proper refirdgeration in schools.
(c) Milk at lunch.
10. Cattle remains that were previously fed to cattle are now fed to _____.
(b) Wild boar.
11. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(a) White Castle.
(c) Burger King.
12. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(b) Taco Bell.
(d) Boston Market.
13. What is the primary export of Plauen, Germany before World War I?
14. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(b) Consent form.
(c) Short-term contract.
(d) Confession of personal negligence.
15. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The executioner.
(b) The slicer.
(c) The sticker.
(d) The poker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the small electric knives with spinning, round blades that workers use to carve meat?
2. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
3. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
4. Companies from which country have bought Chrysler, Random House, and RCA Records?
5. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)