|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The fab room.
(b) The sticker shack.
(c) The rest area.
(d) The kill floor.
2. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(b) Lockheed Martin.
3. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The executioner.
(b) The slicer.
(c) The poker.
(d) The sticker.
4. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(a) White Castle.
(d) Burger King.
5. Who announces that it is putting a new restaurant in every Wal-Mart in Germany?
(a) Subway Rhineland.
(b) KFC Germany.
(c) McDonald's Deutschland.
(d) Pizza Hut International.
6. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(a) The anti-trust fiasco.
(b) The IBP revolution.
(c) The ConAgra solution.
7. What type of animal is a cow in that it eats primarily grass, and maybe grain, with multiple stomachs?
(a) An hebivore.
(b) A carnivore.
(c) A ruminant.
(d) A vegetarian.
8. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
9. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
10. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
(a) Nathan Meeker.
(b) Ken Monfort.
(c) Horace Greeley.
(d) Mike Harper.
11. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(a) Consent form.
(c) Confession of personal negligence.
(d) Short-term contract.
12. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
(a) Plate waste.
(c) Spoiled produce.
(d) Leftover cheese.
13. The Internet at the heart of today's economy started out as what?
(a) A video game.
(b) A spy network.
(c) A business ethernet.
(d) A military communications network.
14. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
(a) The International Meatpackers Union.
(b) The ACLU.
(c) The UFCW.
(d) The National Maritime Union.
15. Companies from which country have bought Chrysler, Random House, and RCA Records?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
2. Who purchases IBP in this chapter?
3. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
4. Greatly reducing the fat content of ________ could have and immediate effect on the nation's kids, according to the author.
5. The East German Secret Police are called ______.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)