|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(a) Confession of personal negligence.
(b) Short-term contract.
(d) Consent form.
2. Greatly reducing the fat content of ________ could have and immediate effect on the nation's kids, according to the author.
(a) Chocolate sundaes.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Happy Meals.
3. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(b) The anti-trust fiasco.
(c) The IBP revolution.
(d) The ConAgra solution.
4. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
(a) The National Maritime Union.
(b) The UFCW.
(c) The ACLU.
(d) The International Meatpackers Union.
5. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
(a) "Short-term contract".
(b) "At will".
6. What does McDonald's call its hope for the conquest of foreign markets?
(a) World domination.
(b) International foodism.
(c) Global realization.
(d) The Burger Wave.
7. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
8. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
(d) Norwalk virus.
9. How high can the percentage of cattle that carries E. coli O157:H7 get in the summer?
(a) Forty percent.
(b) One percent.
(c) Twenty-five percent.
(d) Fifty percent.
10. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
11. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(d) E. coli O157:H7.
12. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(d) Lockheed Martin.
13. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
14. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The fab room.
(b) The sticker shack.
(c) The kill floor.
(d) The rest area.
15. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
(a) An air rifle.
(b) A taser gun.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A captive bolt stunner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who purchases IBP in this chapter?
2. Cattle remains that were previously fed to cattle are now fed to _____.
3. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
4. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
5. Rich Conway helps run which family business?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)