|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of toxin is released form E. coli O157-H7?
(a) An alpha-toxin.
(b) A Diphtheria toxin.
(c) A Shiga toxin.
(d) A pyrogenic exotoxin.
2. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
(a) Glycerine and borax.
(b) Hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride.
(c) Chlorine bleach and water.
(d) Fluoride and sodium.
3. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
(a) Demilitarized zone.
(b) German Democratic Republic.
4. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(a) Burger King.
(b) White Castle.
5. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
(a) John Gotti.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Tom Pendergast.
(d) Moe Stenman.
6. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(d) Lockheed Martin.
7. Which kind of grass-fed, lower fat beef considered a gourmet item and may be less likely to spread E. coli?
(b) Stockyard Special.
8. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
(a) City dumps.
(b) Irrigation ditches.
(c) Septic systems.
9. The Internet at the heart of today's economy started out as what?
(a) A video game.
(b) A military communications network.
(c) A spy network.
(d) A business ethernet.
10. What type of animal is a cow in that it eats primarily grass, and maybe grain, with multiple stomachs?
(a) An hebivore.
(b) A vegetarian.
(c) A ruminant.
(d) A carnivore.
11. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
(a) A taser gun.
(b) An air rifle.
(c) A captive bolt stunner.
(d) A shotgun.
12. Who was elected for a second term in the 1999 Colorado Springs mayoral race?
(a) Roger Townsend.
(b) Anne Summers.
(c) Mary Lou Makepeace.
(d) Mike Harper.
13. What was the name of the cat that died in Bristol, England of a feline variant of mad cow disease?
(a) Bat Cat.
(c) Mad Max.
14. Cattle remains that were previously fed to cattle are now fed to _____.
(a) Wild boar.
15. David M. Theno helped which California poultry processor eliminate Salmonella from most of its birds?
(a) Petaluma Poultry Processing.
(b) Grimaud Farms.
(d) Foster Farms.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1988, a panel from which organization warns that the nation's public health infrastructure is in serious disarray, limiting its ability to track or prevent the spread of newly emerging pathogens?
2. Which room in the meatpacking plant contains machines that assemble cardboard boxes and vacuum seal meat in plastic?
3. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
4. Who writes the book, The Jungle, in 1906?
5. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)