|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eggs are regulated by what federal agency?
2. What type of animal is a cow in that it eats primarily grass, and maybe grain, with multiple stomachs?
(a) A vegetarian.
(b) A carnivore.
(c) An hebivore.
(d) A ruminant.
3. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
(a) In-N-Out Burger.
(b) Boston Market.
(c) California Pizza Kitchen.
(d) P.F. Chang's.
4. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(a) E. coli O157:H7.
5. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(d) Lockheed Martin.
6. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(a) Taco Bell.
(b) Boston Market.
7. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
(b) Notre Dame.
8. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
(b) Irrigation ditches.
(c) Septic systems.
(d) City dumps.
9. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
(a) "At will".
(d) "Short-term contract".
10. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The sticker.
(b) The poker.
(c) The executioner.
(d) The slicer.
11. What was the name of the cat that died in Bristol, England of a feline variant of mad cow disease?
(a) Bat Cat.
(c) Mad Max.
12. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
(d) Chain mail.
13. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
14. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
15. Greatly reducing the fat content of ________ could have and immediate effect on the nation's kids, according to the author.
(a) Chocolate sundaes.
(c) Happy Meals.
(d) Fried chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is now the favorite drink among Chinese children?
2. The East German Secret Police are called ______.
3. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
4. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
5. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)