|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The slicer.
(b) The sticker.
(c) The poker.
(d) The executioner.
2. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(b) Burger King.
(d) White Castle.
3. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
(a) Alistair Carmichael.
(b) Gregory Barker.
(c) Danny Alexander.
(d) Stephen Dorrell.
4. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
(a) Ruben Ramirez.
(b) Simon Gutierrez.
(c) Ramon Vasquez.
(d) Alex Molnar.
5. Cattle remains that were previously fed to cattle are now fed to _____.
(d) Wild boar.
6. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
(a) California Pizza Kitchen.
(b) In-N-Out Burger.
(c) Boston Market.
(d) P.F. Chang's.
7. Which kind of grass-fed, lower fat beef considered a gourmet item and may be less likely to spread E. coli?
(d) Stockyard Special.
8. What is the primary export of Plauen, Germany before World War I?
9. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(b) Boston Market.
(d) Taco Bell.
10. In 1988, a panel from which organization warns that the nation's public health infrastructure is in serious disarray, limiting its ability to track or prevent the spread of newly emerging pathogens?
(a) The Health and Safety Board.
(b) The National Institute of Health.
(c) The Center for Disease Control.
(d) The National Academy of Sciences.
11. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
(a) John Gotti.
(b) Moe Stenman.
(c) Al Capone.
(d) Tom Pendergast.
12. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
13. What do some workers need to make themselves feel charged up and self-confident?
(a) Sugara pills.
(b) Pep talks.
14. Where do some meatpacking workers cook little bits of meat on a shift?
(a) In their hard hads.
(b) On the cremator.
(c) In their sterilizers.
(d) On the converyer belt motor.
15. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
(a) Long hours.
(b) Efficient production.
(c) Employee morale.
(d) Low injury rate reports.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
2. What type of animal is a cow in that it eats primarily grass, and maybe grain, with multiple stomachs?
3. Eggs are regulated by what federal agency?
4. What town is near Lasater Ranch?
5. Who announces that it is putting a new restaurant in every Wal-Mart in Germany?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)