|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
2. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(b) Boston Market.
(d) Taco Bell.
3. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The poker.
(b) The executioner.
(c) The slicer.
(d) The sticker.
4. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
(b) White Castle.
(c) Burger King.
5. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
(a) The ACLU.
(b) The International Meatpackers Union.
(c) The UFCW.
(d) The National Maritime Union.
6. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(b) The anti-trust fiasco.
(c) The IBP revolution.
(d) The ConAgra solution.
7. During the communist rule of East Germany, the successful manufacturing of what product causes high pollution in the city?
(a) Flax seed oil.
(b) Battery acid.
(c) Cotton paper.
(d) Synthetic wool.
8. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
(a) Gregory Barker.
(b) Alistair Carmichael.
(c) Stephen Dorrell.
(d) Danny Alexander.
9. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
(a) Long hours.
(b) Low injury rate reports.
(c) Efficient production.
(d) Employee morale.
10. The Internet at the heart of today's economy started out as what?
(a) A military communications network.
(b) A business ethernet.
(c) A video game.
(d) A spy network.
11. Which company's name translates to "partnership with the land"?
(b) Lamb Weston.
12. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
(b) Chain mail.
13. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
(a) Confession of personal negligence.
(c) Consent form.
(d) Short-term contract.
14. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
15. Who is the president of STOP (Safe Tables Our Priority)?
(a) Barbara Boxer.
(b) Suzanne Somers.
(c) Kay Orr.
(d) Nancy Donley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the most important tool in the modern slaughterhouse?
2. The East German Secret Police are called ______.
3. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
4. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
5. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)