|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
(b) Norwalk virus.
2. Chickens are regulated by what federal agency?
3. What is the name of the supervisor given in the book who belittles his employees injuries, cursing them out, and shouting at his workers to move faster?
(a) Simon Legree.
(b) Johann Legrand.
(c) Simon LeMond.
(d) John LeMonde.
4. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(d) E. coli O157:H7.
5. In what area of the packing plant do workers use a power saw to slice cattle into halves?
(a) The sticker shack.
(b) The kill floor.
(c) The fab room.
(d) The rest area.
6. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
(a) Mike Harper.
(b) Nathan Meeker.
(c) Ken Monfort.
(d) Horace Greeley.
7. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
(c) "Short-term contract".
(d) "At will".
8. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
9. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
(a) Nutritious school meals.
(b) Milk at lunch.
(d) Proper refirdgeration in schools.
10. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
(a) Alistair Carmichael.
(b) Danny Alexander.
(c) Stephen Dorrell.
(d) Gregory Barker.
11. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
(a) Tom Pendergast.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Moe Stenman.
(d) John Gotti.
12. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(a) The IBP revolution.
(c) The anti-trust fiasco.
(d) The ConAgra solution.
13. What is considered the most important tool in the modern slaughterhouse?
(a) Your wits.
(b) A sharp knife.
(c) A good lawyer.
(d) A tough attitude.
14. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
(a) Glycerine and borax.
(b) Chlorine bleach and water.
(c) Hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride.
(d) Fluoride and sodium.
15. What does McDonald's call its hope for the conquest of foreign markets?
(a) World domination.
(b) The Burger Wave.
(c) International foodism.
(d) Global realization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
2. Which pet food company was responsible for contracting a feline variant of mad cow disease?
3. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
4. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
5. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)