|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
(b) Lockheed Martin.
2. Plauen becomes part of the communist _______ after World War II.
(a) Demilitarized zone.
(d) German Democratic Republic.
3. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
(a) Taco Bell.
(c) Boston Market.
4. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
(a) Ray Kroc.
(b) Jack Greenberg.
(c) Thomas Macon.
(d) Mike Eisner.
5. How high can the percentage of cattle that carries E. coli O157:H7 get in the summer?
(a) Fifty percent.
(b) Twenty-five percent.
(c) One percent.
(d) Forty percent.
6. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
(b) "Short-term contract".
(d) "At will".
7. Which other German city is less heavily bombed in World War II by the Allies, but sustains more damage?
8. Cattle remains that were previously fed to cattle are now fed to _____.
(b) Wild boar.
9. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
(a) Danny Alexander.
(b) Alistair Carmichael.
(c) Gregory Barker.
(d) Stephen Dorrell.
10. Who writes the book, The Jungle, in 1906?
(a) Upton Sinclair.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Mary Shelley.
(d) John Updike.
11. What illness caused by the toxin in E. coli O157-H7 can lead to kidney failure, anemia, internal bleeding, and the destruction of vital organs?
(b) Ardalan-Shoja-Kiuru syndrome.
(c) Hemolytic uremic syndrome.
(d) Acrocallosal syndrome.
12. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
(a) Tom Daschel.
(b) John Murkowski.
(c) Kay Orr.
(d) Nancy Pelosi.
13. What are long-haired, working class German fans of American heavy metal music called in Plauen?
(a) Die Rockers.
(b) Die Heavies.
(c) Die Metalheads.
(d) Die Hammers.
14. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
15. In 1988, a panel from which organization warns that the nation's public health infrastructure is in serious disarray, limiting its ability to track or prevent the spread of newly emerging pathogens?
(a) The Health and Safety Board.
(b) The National Academy of Sciences.
(c) The Center for Disease Control.
(d) The National Institute of Health.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the small electric knives with spinning, round blades that workers use to carve meat?
2. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
3. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
4. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
5. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)