|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(b) The ConAgra solution.
(c) The IBP revolution.
(d) The anti-trust fiasco.
2. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
(a) His factory workers.
(b) Warren Monfort.
(c) A group of Ute Indians.
(d) John Dillinger.
3. Who purchases IBP in this chapter?
(a) Tyson Foods.
4. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
5. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
(b) "Short-term contract".
(c) "At will".
6. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
(a) Boston Market.
(b) P.F. Chang's.
(c) California Pizza Kitchen.
(d) In-N-Out Burger.
7. What town is near Lasater Ranch?
(a) Cheyenne, Wyoming.
(b) Greeley, Colorado.
(c) Pueblo, Colorado.
(d) Matheson, Colorado.
8. What does McDonald's call its hope for the conquest of foreign markets?
(a) International foodism.
(b) The Burger Wave.
(c) Global realization.
(d) World domination.
9. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
(a) Mike Harper.
(b) Horace Greeley.
(c) Nathan Meeker.
(d) Ken Monfort.
10. What is the job title of a worker in a packinghouse who pulls the stomach out of a steer and ties off the intestines?
(a) A roper.
(b) A reacher.
(c) A gutter.
(d) An innard cowboy.
11. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
12. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
(a) Danny Alexander.
(b) Stephen Dorrell.
(c) Alistair Carmichael.
(d) Gregory Barker.
13. What type of toxin is released form E. coli O157-H7?
(a) A pyrogenic exotoxin.
(b) An alpha-toxin.
(c) A Shiga toxin.
(d) A Diphtheria toxin.
14. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
(a) Hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride.
(b) Chlorine bleach and water.
(c) Glycerine and borax.
(d) Fluoride and sodium.
15. Companies from which country have bought Chrysler, Random House, and RCA Records?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1920's, Plauen has the most millionaires in Germany and the most _____.
2. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
3. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
4. Which room in the meatpacking plant contains machines that assemble cardboard boxes and vacuum seal meat in plastic?
5. Which pet food company was responsible for contracting a feline variant of mad cow disease?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)