|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
2. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
(b) Chain mail.
3. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
4. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
(c) E. coli O157:H7.
5. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
(a) Chlorine bleach and water.
(b) Fluoride and sodium.
(c) Hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride.
(d) Glycerine and borax.
6. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
(a) The anti-trust fiasco.
(c) The IBP revolution.
(d) The ConAgra solution.
7. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
(a) Notre Dame.
8. Which room in the meatpacking plant contains machines that assemble cardboard boxes and vacuum seal meat in plastic?
(a) The butcher shop.
(b) The fabricating room.
(c) The rump room.
(d) The kill floor.
9. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
(a) The slicer.
(b) The executioner.
(c) The sticker.
(d) The poker.
10. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
11. What item collected from restaurants in 1997 is banned from being fed to cattle by the FDA?
(a) Leftover cheese.
(b) Spoiled produce.
(c) Plate waste.
12. Who writes the book, The Jungle, in 1906?
(a) Mary Shelley.
(b) John Updike.
(c) Upton Sinclair.
(d) Henry Miller.
13. What is the primary export of Plauen, Germany before World War I?
14. Greatly reducing the fat content of ________ could have and immediate effect on the nation's kids, according to the author.
(a) Chocolate sundaes.
(b) Happy Meals.
(d) Fried chicken.
15. Which other German city is less heavily bombed in World War II by the Allies, but sustains more damage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
2. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
3. What is the name of the small electric knives with spinning, round blades that workers use to carve meat?
4. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
5. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)