|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Father Romain changed since Amabelle last saw him?
2. What news does Man Denise tell Amabelle several refugees have come to tell her of?
3. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
4. Why do the refugees become angered on the sixteenth day of testimonials?
5. What lead to Yves' father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is the role and importance of memory. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The Farming of Bones, Edwidge Danticat weaves actual events from history into her fictional story. Select one of the situations where she places her characters within a real historical context and:
1) Describe the historical context of the scene or chapter (i.e., What actually happened in history that Danticat uses in the book?)
2) Discuss the relationship between the historical context and the fictional story. What does this piece of history have to do with Amabelle's life? Why does Danticat choose to place these characters at this particular point in the story in this particular historical context?
Essay Topic 3
The inscription of The Farming of Bones reads: "In confidence to you, Metres Dlo, Mother of the Rivers--Amabelle Desir." Discuss the meaning of this quote in reference to the novel as a whole. What does it mean to you now that you have read the entire novel? Why? Discuss the author's choice of this inscription. Why do you think she chose this inscription?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)