|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
2. What strikes Amabelle as she witnesses a woman having her leg amputated?
3. What does Senora Valencia ask Senor Pico to do before he leaves for the military operation at the border?
4. What does a woman in Cap Haitian give Amabelle to help ease her pain?
5. When Amabelle dreams of her mother, what does she picture the woman wearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories are central to the story lines in Middlesex. Discuss how the author uses recollections of the past in the novel. What is the impact of these memories on the story? What is the author trying to say about our beliefs about memories? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is "past vs. present." Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Though Sebastien is not involved in much of the action of the novel, he plays a major role in the plot and development of Amabelle's character. Write an essay discussing:
1) Sebastien's character traits.
2) The impact of Sebastien's life on the plot and Amabelle's character.
3) The impact of Sebastien's death on the plot and Amabelle's character.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)