|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
2. Who does Dona Sabine and Don Gilbert hide in their home?
3. What are the people of Dajabon celebrating?
4. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
5. Who from Alegria does Amabelle discover is living near the border clinic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Farming of Bones, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select two of the following minor characters to analyze: Papi, Senor Pico, Kongo, Yves, Man Rapadou. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is the role and importance of memory. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Danticat's beautiful, lyrical language lends a layer of richness to the experience of reading The Farming of Bones. Select three instances where the author uses strong sensory language and:
1) Describe the language she uses.
2) Discuss the impact of the language on your experience of reading this scene. How does your understanding of the story change because of this language? How is it enhanced? Is it more or less pleasurable? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)