|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Amabelle often sleep when she was a young girl?
2. How does Mimi say she hopes to die?
3. Why does Sebastien insist he and Amabelle talk if they are not touching?
4. What does Amabelle wish she could remember from her past when she is helping Senora Valencia give birth?
5. How did Senora Valencia's mother die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is the impact of love on people's lives. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is the impact of nationalism. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The Farming of Bones looks at the relationship between the personal (i.e., love, friendships, family) and the political (i.e., government, military, nationalism). Discuss what the novel says about:
1) The relationship between the two. Are they always the same or different? Why?
2) What influences the personal? What else influences the political?
3) What impact do the two have on each other? Is it positive or negative? Why? Can the two co-exist happily? Why or why not?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Then comment on the novel's view points. Do you agree or disagree with what the novel says about the relationship between the personal and the political? Why or why not?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)