|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sebastien insist he and Amabelle talk if they are not touching?
2. Who is Senora Valencia concerned that her daughter will be mistaken for?
3. Where is Senora Valencia's house located?
4. How long has Sebastien been working as sugar cane worker?
5. What does Amabelle say she admired most about her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships between parents and their children is a recurring topic in The Farming of Bones. Select two of the following pairs and discuss the relationship between the parent and child. Focus your discussion on the impact of the relationship between parent and child. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
1) Amabelle and her parents.
2) Senora Valencia and her parents (Papi and her deceased mother).
3) Senora Valencia, Senor Pico and the twins.
4) Yves and Man Rapadou.
Essay Topic 2
Edwidge Danticat is a Haitian immigrant who came to the U.S. in 1969 when she was 12 years old. Knowing this piece of information:
1) Discuss how you think her background influenced the creation of this novel.
2) Discuss the viewpoints she likely brings to the novel.
3) Critique the novel's point of view. Is it more or less trustworthy? Is it more or less biased? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In The Farming of Bones, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select two of the following minor characters to analyze: Papi, Senor Pico, Kongo, Yves, Man Rapadou. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)