|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is this first part of the novel set?
2. Why is it ironic to Juana that Senora Valencia has twins?
3. Why does Amabelle believe her mother did not show her much affection?
4. Who is the man Pico killed with his car?
5. What does Amabelle notice pinned to Dr. Javier's shirt collar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Farming of Bones, Edwidge Danticat juxtaposes scenes from the past in Haiti with the narrator's present life in the Dominican Republic. Select one of the pairs of chapters where she does this and:
1) Describe the past and present scenes presented in the chapter.
2) Discuss the relationship between the two scenes. What do the two scenes have to do with each other? Why does Danticat choose to place these two scenes from different time periods within the same chapter?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The Farming of Bones explores is the role and importance of memory. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Amabelle.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Amabelle's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Amabelle than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)