|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "farming of the bones"?
(a) Coffee harvesting
(b) Burying the dead
(c) Sugar cane harvesting
(d) Milling sugar
2. What does Amabelle notice pinned to Dr. Javier's shirt collar?
(a) A wood carving created by Sebastien
(b) A wooden cross
(c) A pin like one her mother had
(d) A wood carving like those worn by the cane cutters
3. Why is Senora Valencia concerned when she goes into labor?
(a) She is afraid of the pain of childbirth
(b) Her husband is away
(c) The doctor may not be able to get there fast enough
(d) It is two months before her due date
4. What is unusual about Beatriz?
(a) She visits Senora Valencia even though she is married to Pico
(b) She is Dr. Javier's only sister
(c) She visits patients with Dr. Javier
(d) She only speaks Latin to herself
5. What thought does Sebastien suggest Amabelle replace the memory of her parents' deaths with?
(a) The idea that he will always protect her
(b) The idea that they are still alive
(c) The idea that they will be reunited in the afterlife
(d) The idea that they died of natural causes many years later
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Senora Valencia's daughter when she is born?
2. How long has Amabelle worked for Senora Valencia's family?
3. Who stays with Senora Valencia the night after the children are born?
4. What does Papi raise as his hobby?
5. Why does Sebastien insist he and Amabelle talk if they are not touching?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)