|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Haitian immigrant children born in the Dominican Republic not able to attend "proper schools?"
(a) The government will not give them the papers they need to enroll
(b) They are not Christians. Only Christians can attend the top schools
(c) They do not speak Spanish
(d) Their skin color prevents them from being accepted into these schools
2. Why does Sebastien tell of his father's death using third person narration?
(a) He was not present when his father died
(b) The memory is too painful for him
(c) He is angry at his father for dying
(d) The memory of his father's death is unclear to him
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways the narrator characterizes Sebastien?
4. Why did Amabelle's father move her away from her mother's cooking pot when she was a child?
(a) He is concerned she will burn herself
(b) He knows it will anger her mother to see her tampering with the food
(c) He does not want her to become a domestic worker
(d) He wants her to remain a child and not grow up too quickly
5. Who does Pico name his son after?
(a) The Generalissimo
(b) A leader in the Dominican independence movement
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
2. What does Father Romain encourage his congregants to do?
3. Why does Senora Valencia ask Amabelle to light a candle after the babies are born?
4. What should have been a warning to Amabelle's father that it was too dangerous to cross the river?
5. What did Amabelle's mother give her to help her feel better when she was sick with a fever?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)