|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Man Denise name her son after Saint Sebastien?
(a) Because he was given two deaths
(b) Because he appeared holy from birth
(c) Because he was the patron saint of cane workers
(d) Because she believed he would be protected by the saint's spirit
2. Why does Man Rapadou feed Amabelle pumpkin soup?
(a) It is known as a good luck food
(b) It is known to increase fertility
(c) Pumpkins have healing powers
(d) Amabelle is unable to eat solid food because of her injuries
3. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Stroke her hand
(b) Tell her stories of Haiti
(c) Tell her stories of her mother
(d) Place the baby girl in bed with her
4. What does a woman in Cap Haitian give Amabelle to help ease her pain?
(b) A talisman
(c) A crucifix
(d) An orange
5. How do the residents of Cap Haitien react when they receive news of Trujillo's death?
(a) They celebrate in private for fear of being arrested
(b) They celebrate in the streets
(c) They mourn the great leader's death
(d) They grow anxious about who will be the next leader of the nation
6. What does Senora Valencia ask Senor Pico to do before he leaves for the military operation at the border?
(a) Kiss their daughter goodbye
(b) Plan their son's funeral
(c) Bury their son
(d) Bury their son's clothes
7. When Amabelle and Yves come upon an oxen cart stuck in the mud, what do they notice the cart is filled with?
8. What shocks Amabelle about Man Rapadou's storytelling?
(a) She is able to laugh at sad stories
(b) It sounds as if she is reciting poetry
(c) She remembers every detail of every event
(d) It is highly detailed
9. Why did Man Rapadou kill her husband?
(a) He refused to work for a living
(b) He was cheating on her
(c) He was planning on becoming a spy
(d) He was abusive and cruel to her and the children
10. Which of the following people does Amabelle NOT secure passage to Haiti for?
11. Who does Papi go to visit when he takes a walk to escape Senor Pico?
(c) Dr. Javier
12. What does Papi spend time doing after his grandson dies?
(a) Tending to his orchid garden
(b) Listening to Spanish radio channels
(c) Crying incessantly
(d) Watching over his grandson's coffin
13. Where does Amabelle ask the truck driver to leave her?
(a) Near the waterfall
(b) At the spot where Sebastien was killed
(c) Near the guardhouse at the border
(d) At Senora Valencia's home
14. Why does Amabelle lie naked on the floor in Chapter 17?
(a) Sebastien asks her to take off her uniform
(b) She is sick and cannot move
(c) She wants to sweat out all of her moisture so she cannot cry
(d) She wants to feel the coolness of the earth
15. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
(b) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
(c) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
(d) It makes her long for the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
2. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
3. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
4. What does Amabelle do for several days after arriving at the clinic?
5. Who from Alegria does Amabelle discover is living near the border clinic?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)