|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Man Denise tell Amabelle several refugees have come to tell her of?
(a) Sebastien and Mimi are living across the border in the Dominican Republic
(b) Sebastien has married another woman
(c) The murders of Sebastien and Mimi
(d) The accidental deaths of Sebastien and Mimi
2. What does a woman in Cap Haitian give Amabelle to help ease her pain?
(a) An orange
(c) A talisman
(d) A crucifix
3. What do Doloritas and Amabelle have in common?
(a) They both lived in Alegria
(b) They are both engaged to Haitian men who are missing
(c) They both worked in the sugar cane fields
(d) They have both lost their parents
4. Why does Amabelle usher Senora Valencia back into the house as the soldiers arrive in the valley?
(a) Senora Valencia becomes hysterical
(b) Amabelle fears for Senora Valencia's safety
(c) Amabelle does not want the soldiers to take her away from Senora Valencia
(d) Senora Valencia has begun bleeding
5. Where does Man Denise leave for?
(c) Port au Prince
(d) Cap Haitien
6. Which of the travelers is killed by the mob in Dajabon?
7. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(b) Father Vargas
(c) Senora Valencia
8. Where does Amabelle promise Sebastien she will visit?
(a) The cave where they first made love
(b) The cane fields where they met
(d) His mother's home
9. What does Yves suggest Amabelle do to make money for herself?
(a) Sew dresses
(b) Take care of Man Rapadou
(c) Farm with him
(d) Work in the local market
10. When Amabelle and Yves come upon an oxen cart stuck in the mud, what do they notice the cart is filled with?
11. Who is named official godfather of many of the children being baptized at the same time as Rosalinda?
(a) Dr. Javier
(c) Senor Pico
(d) The Generalissimo
12. What does Amabelle say would help her properly mourn Sebastien's death?
(a) Being able to bury his body
(b) Knowing he was actually dead
(c) Seeing his dead body
(d) Having some part of him in Haiti
13. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Place the baby girl in bed with her
(b) Stroke her hand
(c) Tell her stories of her mother
(d) Tell her stories of Haiti
14. What sight in the deserted village does Yves conceal from the others?
(a) The hanging bodies of the villagers
(b) The buckets of water
(c) The large stores of food
(d) The papers of Haitian traders
15. Why did Man Denise name her son after Saint Sebastien?
(a) Because he appeared holy from birth
(b) Because he was given two deaths
(c) Because he was the patron saint of cane workers
(d) Because she believed he would be protected by the saint's spirit
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
2. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
3. Why do the Dominicans taunt Amabelle and Yves with parsley?
4. What main town do the travelers reach first?
5. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)