|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the man driving the truck able to sneak Amabelle across the border?
(a) He hides her under his crates of vegetables
(b) He pays off the guards at each checkpoint
(c) The government owes him favors for helping in the revolution
(d) He is a government official
2. According to a nun at the clinic, who has been asking about Amabelle?
(b) Dr. Javier
3. What has happened to Yves' farm over the years since he has returned to Haiti?
(a) It has become the number one producer of beans
(b) It failed forcing him to find other work
(c) It has gone through both prosperous and difficult periods
(d) It has grown and prospered
4. What sight in the deserted village does Yves conceal from the others?
(a) The large stores of food
(b) The buckets of water
(c) The papers of Haitian traders
(d) The hanging bodies of the villagers
5. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(c) Human bodies
(d) Sugar cane
6. How does Senora Valencia first react when Amabelle comes to visit her?
(a) She is relieved that Amabelle is still alive
(b) She refuses to believe she is Amabelle
(c) She is too old and disoriented to remember Amabelle
(d) She breaks down into tears at the sight of her old friend
7. How does Amabelle plan on crossing the border?
(a) During the night with Yves' help
(b) By showing her papers to the guards at the border
(c) During the night with the help of a man who does this for a living
(d) By calling upon Senor Pico to grant her permission to cross
8. What news does Man Denise tell Amabelle several refugees have come to tell her of?
(a) The accidental deaths of Sebastien and Mimi
(b) The murders of Sebastien and Mimi
(c) Sebastien and Mimi are living across the border in the Dominican Republic
(d) Sebastien has married another woman
9. Why does Amabelle visit Kongo?
(a) To make sure he is dealing with Joel's death
(b) To tell him Senor Pico killed Joel
(c) To deliver wood for Joel's coffin
(d) To tell him Papi would like to speak with him
10. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
(c) Little girl
(d) Christmas trees
11. What is different about the homes in Alegria when Amabelle visits years later?
(a) They are more open and inviting
(b) They are protected by high walls and guards
(c) They are now owned by Haitians
(d) They were destroyed during the revolution
12. What does Amabelle do for several days after arriving at the clinic?
(a) Suffer in pain
(d) Search for Sebastien
13. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
(a) The place where too many people died
(b) The water source for the two nations
(c) The border between the two nations
(d) A point of contention between the two nations
14. What does Yves suggest Amabelle do to make money for herself?
(a) Sew dresses
(b) Take care of Man Rapadou
(c) Work in the local market
(d) Farm with him
15. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
(a) Being arrested by the Dominican soldiers
(b) Being injured by the sharp rocks in the river
(c) Being killed by the border guards
(d) Drowning in the raging river
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Man Rapadou feed Amabelle pumpkin soup?
2. When Amabelle and Yves come upon an oxen cart stuck in the mud, what do they notice the cart is filled with?
3. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
4. What does Juana prepare in honor of Rosalinda's baptism?
5. Why does Amabelle lie naked on the floor in Chapter 17?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)