|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What main town do the travelers reach first?
(c) Cap Haitien
2. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
(a) The place where too many people died
(b) A point of contention between the two nations
(c) The border between the two nations
(d) The water source for the two nations
3. How does Amabelle plan on crossing the border?
(a) By calling upon Senor Pico to grant her permission to cross
(b) During the night with the help of a man who does this for a living
(c) During the night with Yves' help
(d) By showing her papers to the guards at the border
4. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
(a) In their village in Haiti
(b) In her hut
(c) In the sugar cane fields
(d) In a cave
5. What does Kongo give Amabelle as a gift?
(a) Joel's bracelet
(b) A mask of Joel
(c) A mask of her face
(d) A ring
6. What does Senora Valencia ask Senor Pico to do before he leaves for the military operation at the border?
(a) Bury their son
(b) Kiss their daughter goodbye
(c) Plan their son's funeral
(d) Bury their son's clothes
7. Who does Amabelle write a letter to in hopes of finding information about Sebastien and Mimi?
(a) Senor Pico
(c) Father Romain
(d) Dr. Javier
8. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
(b) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
(c) It makes her long for the past.
(d) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
9. Who digs the grave for Rafi's baby clothes?
(c) Dr. Javier
(d) Senor Pico
10. When Amabelle dreams of her mother, what does she picture the woman wearing?
(a) A dress made of river water
(b) Her wedding dress
(c) A dress made of glass
(d) The clothes she was wearing the day she died
11. How does Sebastien visit Amabelle now that he is dead?
(a) In Yves' face
(b) In the faces of children
(c) In her work
(d) In her dreams
12. Where do the cane workers and their families gather in the evenings?
(a) At Mercedes' food stand
(b) At Sebastien's hut
(c) Around the fire pit in their camp
(d) At the creek
13. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In the cane fields
(b) In Senora Valencia's home
(c) In the Dominican army
(d) In a Haitian farm
14. Who does Amabelle see for the first time in years during the celebration following Trujillo's death?
(a) Dr. Javier
(b) Father Romain
15. What does Amabelle say would help her properly mourn Sebastien's death?
(a) Knowing he was actually dead
(b) Being able to bury his body
(c) Seeing his dead body
(d) Having some part of him in Haiti
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
2. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
3. What is different about the homes in Alegria when Amabelle visits years later?
4. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
5. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)