|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Man Denise name her son after Saint Sebastien?
(a) Because she believed he would be protected by the saint's spirit
(b) Because he was given two deaths
(c) Because he was the patron saint of cane workers
(d) Because he appeared holy from birth
2. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
(b) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(c) She searched the countryside for her friend
(d) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
3. What torture does Tibon escape that many other Haitian immigrants did not?
(a) Being forced off of a cliff
(b) Being drawn and quartered
(c) The firing squad
(d) Being driven off of a cliff
4. Where does Amabelle promise Sebastien she will visit?
(a) His mother's home
(b) The cave where they first made love
(d) The cane fields where they met
5. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
(a) He is shot while giving a victory speech
(b) He is accidentally shot by his bodyguard
(c) He is shot as he was driving down a highway bearing his name
(d) He is shot by his most loyal supporter
6. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
(a) He watched Sebastien and Mimi loaded into the trucks while he hid in the woods
(b) He watched Sebastien and Mimi be shot by the Dominican soldiers
(c) He is in love with Amabelle
(d) He traded places with Sebastien on the night they escaped
7. Who stays with Rafi's body during the night after the wake?
(a) Senora Valencia
(d) Senor Pico
8. What does Papi spend time doing after his grandson dies?
(a) Listening to Spanish radio channels
(b) Watching over his grandson's coffin
(c) Tending to his orchid garden
(d) Crying incessantly
9. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
(a) To purge his image from her memory
(b) To let him know she is looking for him
(c) To keep his memory alive
(d) To try and resurrect him from the dead
10. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
(b) It makes her long for the past.
(c) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
(d) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
11. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In the Dominican army
(b) In Senora Valencia's home
(c) In the cane fields
(d) In a Haitian farm
12. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(a) Sugar cane
(c) Human bodies
13. What sight in the deserted village does Yves conceal from the others?
(a) The hanging bodies of the villagers
(b) The buckets of water
(c) The papers of Haitian traders
(d) The large stores of food
14. What strikes Amabelle as she witnesses a woman having her leg amputated?
(a) The doctor's hand
(b) A drop of her own blood
(c) A drop of the woman's blood
(d) The woman's leg
15. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
(a) They will waste precious matches
(b) Fire will give them hope they will make it to the border
(c) The light will allow them to be seen
(d) The smoke will draw attention to their camp
Short Answer Questions
1. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
2. Why does Amabelle have difficulty finding the stream and cave when she visits Alegria?
3. Where does Amabelle ask the truck driver to leave her?
4. Which of the following people does Amabelle NOT secure passage to Haiti for?
5. Who is named official godfather of many of the children being baptized at the same time as Rosalinda?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)