|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
(a) In their village in Haiti
(b) In the sugar cane fields
(c) In a cave
(d) In her hut
2. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
(a) He is accidentally shot by his bodyguard
(b) He is shot by his most loyal supporter
(c) He is shot as he was driving down a highway bearing his name
(d) He is shot while giving a victory speech
3. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
(a) To keep his memory alive
(b) To try and resurrect him from the dead
(c) To purge his image from her memory
(d) To let him know she is looking for him
4. Who digs the grave for Rafi's baby clothes?
(a) Senor Pico
(b) Dr. Javier
5. What does a woman in Cap Haitian give Amabelle to help ease her pain?
(a) An orange
(b) A talisman
(d) A crucifix
6. Where does Amabelle visit that she was afraid of going as a child?
(a) To the top of the citidel
(b) To Sebastien's mother's home
(c) To her family's land
(d) To the river
7. Who does Papi go to visit when he takes a walk to escape Senor Pico?
(c) Dr. Javier
8. How does the Generalissimo plan to compensate the injured and dead Haitians?
(a) With small monetary payments
(b) He refuses to compensate them because he does not believe he is responsible.
(c) By providing them with land to farm on
(d) By allowing those alive to re-enter the country
9. Who does Amabelle write a letter to in hopes of finding information about Sebastien and Mimi?
(a) Senor Pico
(c) Dr. Javier
(d) Father Romain
10. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She searched the countryside for her friend
(b) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(c) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
(d) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
11. How do the residents of Cap Haitien react when they receive news of Trujillo's death?
(a) They mourn the great leader's death
(b) They celebrate in the streets
(c) They grow anxious about who will be the next leader of the nation
(d) They celebrate in private for fear of being arrested
12. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
(a) Being killed by the border guards
(b) Being injured by the sharp rocks in the river
(c) Drowning in the raging river
(d) Being arrested by the Dominican soldiers
13. What torture does Tibon escape that many other Haitian immigrants did not?
(a) Being driven off of a cliff
(b) The firing squad
(c) Being forced off of a cliff
(d) Being drawn and quartered
14. Where do Yves and Amabelle plan to go when they leave the clinic?
(a) Back to Alegria to look for Sebastien and Mimi
(b) Amabelle's family land
(c) Yves' mother's house
(d) Sebastien's mother's house
15. What does Yves tell Amabelle is missing from the record books of the slaughter being kept by the church?
(a) Information about Sebastien and Mimi
(b) The torture Yves and Amabelle endured
(c) Information about Odette and Wilmer
(d) The Generalissimo's name
Short Answer Questions
1. When Amabelle and Yves come upon an oxen cart stuck in the mud, what do they notice the cart is filled with?
2. Why did Man Rapadou kill her husband?
3. Which of the following is NOT a detail Juana tells Senora Valencia about her mother?
4. Which of the following is NOT a memory Amabelle has as she is walking down the trail with the other immigrants?
5. Which of the following ideas is NOT part of the Generalissimo's speech broadcasted on the radio?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)