|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amabelle plan on crossing the border?
(a) By calling upon Senor Pico to grant her permission to cross
(b) During the night with the help of a man who does this for a living
(c) During the night with Yves' help
(d) By showing her papers to the guards at the border
2. What has Amabelle wondered about her parents' deaths for years?
(a) What they wanted her to remember about them
(b) Why she did not die also
(c) What they were trying to signal to her as they washed away
(d) Why they chose to wade into the raging waters
3. Where does Amabelle visit that she was afraid of going as a child?
(a) To the top of the citidel
(b) To the river
(c) To her family's land
(d) To Sebastien's mother's home
4. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
(a) Little girl
(d) Christmas trees
5. Where does Amabelle ask the truck driver to leave her?
(a) At Senora Valencia's home
(b) Near the waterfall
(c) Near the guardhouse at the border
(d) At the spot where Sebastien was killed
6. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(a) Sugar cane
(c) Human bodies
7. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In the cane fields
(b) In a Haitian farm
(c) In the Dominican army
(d) In Senora Valencia's home
8. Why did Man Rapadou kill her husband?
(a) He was planning on becoming a spy
(b) He was abusive and cruel to her and the children
(c) He refused to work for a living
(d) He was cheating on her
9. Why does Amabelle stand over Odette's body for a long time?
(a) She is frightened the same will happen to her
(b) She cannot say goodbye to her because her death with always be with Amabelle
(c) She wants to make sure the woman will not come back to life
(d) She is saying the last rites for her friend
10. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(a) Senora Valencia
(d) Father Vargas
11. Which of the following ideas is NOT part of the Generalissimo's speech broadcasted on the radio?
(a) Today's leaders must help ensure the nation is free
(b) Workers are revered
(c) All men must fulfill their military duties
(d) Those who are independent must carry out justice
12. What main town do the travelers reach first?
(c) Cap Haitien
13. What does Yves tell Amabelle is missing from the record books of the slaughter being kept by the church?
(a) The torture Yves and Amabelle endured
(b) Information about Sebastien and Mimi
(c) Information about Odette and Wilmer
(d) The Generalissimo's name
14. What does Papi spend time doing after his grandson dies?
(a) Crying incessantly
(b) Tending to his orchid garden
(c) Watching over his grandson's coffin
(d) Listening to Spanish radio channels
15. What does Amabelle do for several days after arriving at the clinic?
(a) Suffer in pain
(d) Search for Sebastien
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sebastien visit Amabelle now that he is dead?
2. Who digs the grave for Rafi's baby clothes?
3. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
4. What does Senora Valencia do with her son's body that is unexpected?
5. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)