|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Amabelle have difficulty finding the stream and cave when she visits Alegria?
(a) She cannot find a guide to take her there
(b) She stream has dried up because of a drought
(c) She is disoriented by the changes in the town
(d) She cannot remember where they are located
2. Where does Amabelle promise Sebastien she will visit?
(a) The cane fields where they met
(b) The cave where they first made love
(d) His mother's home
3. What shocks Amabelle about Man Rapadou's storytelling?
(a) She is able to laugh at sad stories
(b) She remembers every detail of every event
(c) It is highly detailed
(d) It sounds as if she is reciting poetry
4. Where does Amabelle visit that she was afraid of going as a child?
(a) To the top of the citidel
(b) To Sebastien's mother's home
(c) To her family's land
(d) To the river
5. What are the people of Dajabon celebrating?
(a) Generalissimo Trujillo
(b) The Dominican independence
(d) Their victory over the Haitians
6. What has Amabelle wondered about her parents' deaths for years?
(a) What they wanted her to remember about them
(b) What they were trying to signal to her as they washed away
(c) Why they chose to wade into the raging waters
(d) Why she did not die also
7. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
(b) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
(c) It makes her long for the past.
(d) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
8. What does Amabelle do for several days after arriving at the clinic?
(b) Search for Sebastien
(d) Suffer in pain
9. Who is named official godfather of many of the children being baptized at the same time as Rosalinda?
(b) Dr. Javier
(c) Senor Pico
(d) The Generalissimo
10. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
(a) To try and resurrect him from the dead
(b) To keep his memory alive
(c) To purge his image from her memory
(d) To let him know she is looking for him
11. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
(a) The smoke will draw attention to their camp
(b) The light will allow them to be seen
(c) Fire will give them hope they will make it to the border
(d) They will waste precious matches
12. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
(b) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(c) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(d) She is numbed by pain
13. How does Senora Valencia first react when Amabelle comes to visit her?
(a) She refuses to believe she is Amabelle
(b) She breaks down into tears at the sight of her old friend
(c) She is relieved that Amabelle is still alive
(d) She is too old and disoriented to remember Amabelle
14. What do the refugees see in a picture of the Haitian president that angers them?
(a) A medal given to him by the Generalissimo to symbolize the friendship between their countries
(b) A Dominican flag
(c) A congratulatory letter from the Generalissimo
(d) A portrait of the Generalissimo hanging behind the president
15. Who does Dona Sabine and Don Gilbert hide in their home?
(b) The Generalissimo's soldiers
(c) Haitian immigrants
(d) Senora Valencia
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
2. What news does Man Denise tell Amabelle several refugees have come to tell her of?
3. Where do the cane workers and their families gather in the evenings?
4. What main town do the travelers reach first?
5. Where does Amabelle ask the truck driver to leave her?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)