|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What main town do the travelers reach first?
(a) Cap Haitien
2. How does Senora Valencia first react when Amabelle comes to visit her?
(a) She refuses to believe she is Amabelle
(b) She is too old and disoriented to remember Amabelle
(c) She breaks down into tears at the sight of her old friend
(d) She is relieved that Amabelle is still alive
3. Which of the following ideas is NOT part of the Generalissimo's speech broadcasted on the radio?
(a) Those who are independent must carry out justice
(b) All men must fulfill their military duties
(c) Workers are revered
(d) Today's leaders must help ensure the nation is free
4. What warning does Dr. Javier bring to Amabelle?
(a) Sebastien is wanted by the militia
(b) She must leave immediately because Haitian immigrants are being killed
(c) She must leave immediately because Senor Pico is planning to have her killed
(d) All Haitian immigrants are being deported
5. Who does Amabelle see for the first time in years during the celebration following Trujillo's death?
(b) Dr. Javier
(d) Father Romain
6. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
(b) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(c) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
(d) She searched the countryside for her friend
7. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(b) She is numbed by pain
(c) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(d) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
8. Why does Man Rapadou feed Amabelle pumpkin soup?
(a) Pumpkins have healing powers
(b) It is known to increase fertility
(c) It is known as a good luck food
(d) Amabelle is unable to eat solid food because of her injuries
9. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(c) Human bodies
(d) Sugar cane
10. Who digs the grave for Rafi's baby clothes?
(c) Senor Pico
(d) Dr. Javier
11. How has Father Romain changed since Amabelle last saw him?
(a) He is now insane
(b) He is now angry and frustrated
(c) He is now at peace
(d) He is now disoriented and sickly
12. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
(a) To see Senora Valencia again
(b) Information about Sebastien and Mimi
(c) Treatment for her injuries
(d) Sebastien to return to Haiti
13. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
(a) Christmas trees
(d) Little girl
14. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
(a) He is in love with Amabelle
(b) He traded places with Sebastien on the night they escaped
(c) He watched Sebastien and Mimi loaded into the trucks while he hid in the woods
(d) He watched Sebastien and Mimi be shot by the Dominican soldiers
15. What does Kongo give Amabelle as a gift?
(a) Joel's bracelet
(b) A mask of Joel
(c) A ring
(d) A mask of her face
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
2. Why does Amabelle have difficulty finding the stream and cave when she visits Alegria?
3. What strikes Amabelle as she witnesses a woman having her leg amputated?
4. Where does Man Denise leave for?
5. How do the residents of Cap Haitien react when they receive news of Trujillo's death?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)