|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the refugees become angered on the sixteenth day of testimonials?
(a) An official tells them that there is no more money available
(b) They are being arrested for crimes against the Dominican Republic
(c) They are denied access to government officials
(d) An official tells them the Generalissimo does not believe them
2. What information does Yves give Amabelle that makes her hopeful Sebastien and Mimi were able to cross the river?
(a) The massacre of Haitians by the Dominicans has stopped
(b) Yves has left directions for them at each stop on the river
(c) Many people are crossing the river everyday now
(d) The water level in the river has dropped
3. What do the refugees see in a picture of the Haitian president that angers them?
(a) A medal given to him by the Generalissimo to symbolize the friendship between their countries
(b) A Dominican flag
(c) A portrait of the Generalissimo hanging behind the president
(d) A congratulatory letter from the Generalissimo
4. What warning does Dr. Javier bring to Amabelle?
(a) Sebastien is wanted by the militia
(b) She must leave immediately because Haitian immigrants are being killed
(c) She must leave immediately because Senor Pico is planning to have her killed
(d) All Haitian immigrants are being deported
5. Why does Amabelle visit Kongo?
(a) To make sure he is dealing with Joel's death
(b) To deliver wood for Joel's coffin
(c) To tell him Papi would like to speak with him
(d) To tell him Senor Pico killed Joel
6. Where do Yves and Amabelle plan to go when they leave the clinic?
(a) Back to Alegria to look for Sebastien and Mimi
(b) Amabelle's family land
(c) Sebastien's mother's house
(d) Yves' mother's house
7. What does a woman in Cap Haitian give Amabelle to help ease her pain?
(b) A talisman
(c) A crucifix
(d) An orange
8. What does Amabelle do for several days after arriving at the clinic?
(a) Suffer in pain
(c) Search for Sebastien
9. What shocks Amabelle about Man Rapadou's storytelling?
(a) She remembers every detail of every event
(b) It sounds as if she is reciting poetry
(c) She is able to laugh at sad stories
(d) It is highly detailed
10. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She is numbed by pain
(b) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(c) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(d) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
11. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
(a) In a cave
(b) In their village in Haiti
(c) In her hut
(d) In the sugar cane fields
12. Where does Amabelle promise Sebastien she will visit?
(a) The cane fields where they met
(b) His mother's home
(d) The cave where they first made love
13. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(a) Father Vargas
(c) Senora Valencia
14. Why does Man Rapadou feed Amabelle pumpkin soup?
(a) Amabelle is unable to eat solid food because of her injuries
(b) It is known to increase fertility
(c) Pumpkins have healing powers
(d) It is known as a good luck food
15. Which of the travelers is killed by the mob in Dajabon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
2. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
3. Where do the cane workers and their families gather in the evenings?
4. Where does Man Denise leave for?
5. What sight in the deserted village does Yves conceal from the others?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)