|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Stroke her hand
(b) Place the baby girl in bed with her
(c) Tell her stories of her mother
(d) Tell her stories of Haiti
2. Why do the refugees become angered on the sixteenth day of testimonials?
(a) An official tells them the Generalissimo does not believe them
(b) They are denied access to government officials
(c) They are being arrested for crimes against the Dominican Republic
(d) An official tells them that there is no more money available
3. Who does Papi go to visit when he takes a walk to escape Senor Pico?
(a) Dr. Javier
4. What torture does Tibon escape that many other Haitian immigrants did not?
(a) The firing squad
(b) Being drawn and quartered
(c) Being forced off of a cliff
(d) Being driven off of a cliff
5. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
(a) In her hut
(b) In the sugar cane fields
(c) In a cave
(d) In their village in Haiti
6. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
(a) He watched Sebastien and Mimi loaded into the trucks while he hid in the woods
(b) He traded places with Sebastien on the night they escaped
(c) He is in love with Amabelle
(d) He watched Sebastien and Mimi be shot by the Dominican soldiers
7. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(c) Sugar cane
(d) Human bodies
8. Where does Man Denise leave for?
(a) Cap Haitien
(b) Port au Prince
9. Which of the travelers is killed by the mob in Dajabon?
10. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
(a) Being arrested by the Dominican soldiers
(b) Being killed by the border guards
(c) Drowning in the raging river
(d) Being injured by the sharp rocks in the river
11. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
(b) Little girl
(d) Christmas trees
12. What are the people of Dajabon celebrating?
(a) Generalissimo Trujillo
(b) The Dominican independence
(c) Their victory over the Haitians
13. How do the residents of Cap Haitien react when they receive news of Trujillo's death?
(a) They mourn the great leader's death
(b) They grow anxious about who will be the next leader of the nation
(c) They celebrate in private for fear of being arrested
(d) They celebrate in the streets
14. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
(a) The place where too many people died
(b) The border between the two nations
(c) The water source for the two nations
(d) A point of contention between the two nations
15. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In a Haitian farm
(b) In the cane fields
(c) In Senora Valencia's home
(d) In the Dominican army
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named official godfather of many of the children being baptized at the same time as Rosalinda?
2. Why do the Dominicans taunt Amabelle and Yves with parsley?
3. What does Yves suggest Amabelle do to make money for herself?
4. What news does Man Denise tell Amabelle several refugees have come to tell her of?
5. Which of the following is NOT a memory Amabelle has as she is walking down the trail with the other immigrants?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)