|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(b) She is numbed by pain
(c) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
(d) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
2. Where did Amabelle and Sebastien first make love?
(a) In her hut
(b) In their village in Haiti
(c) In a cave
(d) In the sugar cane fields
3. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
(b) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(c) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
(d) She searched the countryside for her friend
4. What has Amabelle wondered about her parents' deaths for years?
(a) Why she did not die also
(b) What they were trying to signal to her as they washed away
(c) Why they chose to wade into the raging waters
(d) What they wanted her to remember about them
5. Where does Amabelle ask the truck driver to leave her?
(a) Near the guardhouse at the border
(b) At the spot where Sebastien was killed
(c) At Senora Valencia's home
(d) Near the waterfall
6. Why do the refugees become angered on the sixteenth day of testimonials?
(a) An official tells them that there is no more money available
(b) They are being arrested for crimes against the Dominican Republic
(c) They are denied access to government officials
(d) An official tells them the Generalissimo does not believe them
7. Who does Senor Pico nearly kill as he practices shooting with Senora Valencia?
(c) Dr. Javier
8. What sight in the deserted village does Yves conceal from the others?
(a) The papers of Haitian traders
(b) The large stores of food
(c) The buckets of water
(d) The hanging bodies of the villagers
9. How has Father Romain changed since Amabelle last saw him?
(a) He is now at peace
(b) He is now angry and frustrated
(c) He is now disoriented and sickly
(d) He is now insane
10. Who does Amabelle see for the first time in years during the celebration following Trujillo's death?
(a) Dr. Javier
(c) Father Romain
11. What are the people of Dajabon celebrating?
(a) Generalissimo Trujillo
(b) The Dominican independence
(c) Their victory over the Haitians
12. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
(a) He is shot while giving a victory speech
(b) He is accidentally shot by his bodyguard
(c) He is shot as he was driving down a highway bearing his name
(d) He is shot by his most loyal supporter
13. What does Kongo give Amabelle as a gift?
(a) Joel's bracelet
(b) A mask of Joel
(c) A ring
(d) A mask of her face
14. What torture does Tibon escape that many other Haitian immigrants did not?
(a) Being forced off of a cliff
(b) Being driven off of a cliff
(c) Being drawn and quartered
(d) The firing squad
15. Why does Amabelle stand over Odette's body for a long time?
(a) She is saying the last rites for her friend
(b) She is frightened the same will happen to her
(c) She cannot say goodbye to her because her death with always be with Amabelle
(d) She wants to make sure the woman will not come back to life
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the cane workers and their families gather in the evenings?
2. What does Amabelle say would help her properly mourn Sebastien's death?
3. Which of the following ideas is NOT part of the Generalissimo's speech broadcasted on the radio?
4. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
5. What strikes Amabelle as she witnesses a woman having her leg amputated?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)