|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a nun at the clinic, who has been asking about Amabelle?
(c) Dr. Javier
2. How does Senora Valencia first react when Amabelle comes to visit her?
(a) She is relieved that Amabelle is still alive
(b) She refuses to believe she is Amabelle
(c) She breaks down into tears at the sight of her old friend
(d) She is too old and disoriented to remember Amabelle
3. Which of the following people does Amabelle NOT secure passage to Haiti for?
4. How does Sebastien visit Amabelle now that he is dead?
(a) In her dreams
(b) In Yves' face
(c) In her work
(d) In the faces of children
5. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
(a) He is accidentally shot by his bodyguard
(b) He is shot while giving a victory speech
(c) He is shot as he was driving down a highway bearing his name
(d) He is shot by his most loyal supporter
6. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She searched the countryside for her friend
(b) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
(c) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(d) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
7. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(a) Sugar cane
(b) Human bodies
8. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Tell her stories of Haiti
(b) Tell her stories of her mother
(c) Stroke her hand
(d) Place the baby girl in bed with her
9. What do the refugees see in a picture of the Haitian president that angers them?
(a) A portrait of the Generalissimo hanging behind the president
(b) A Dominican flag
(c) A congratulatory letter from the Generalissimo
(d) A medal given to him by the Generalissimo to symbolize the friendship between their countries
10. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
(a) Little girl
(b) Christmas trees
11. What information does Yves give Amabelle that makes her hopeful Sebastien and Mimi were able to cross the river?
(a) Yves has left directions for them at each stop on the river
(b) The water level in the river has dropped
(c) Many people are crossing the river everyday now
(d) The massacre of Haitians by the Dominicans has stopped
12. What does Senora Valencia do with her son's body that is unexpected?
(a) She allows visitors to view it
(b) She allows no one to view it
(c) She refuses to allow him to be buried
(d) She spends all of her time holding it
13. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(b) She is numbed by pain
(c) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(d) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
14. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(a) Father Vargas
(c) Senora Valencia
15. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
(a) He is in love with Amabelle
(b) He watched Sebastien and Mimi loaded into the trucks while he hid in the woods
(c) He traded places with Sebastien on the night they escaped
(d) He watched Sebastien and Mimi be shot by the Dominican soldiers
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dona Sabine and Don Gilbert hide in their home?
2. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
3. What does the Massacre River mark for the nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic?
4. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
5. What does Juana prepare in honor of Rosalinda's baptism?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)