|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In the Dominican army
(b) In the cane fields
(c) In Senora Valencia's home
(d) In a Haitian farm
2. Why does Amabelle visit Kongo?
(a) To make sure he is dealing with Joel's death
(b) To deliver wood for Joel's coffin
(c) To tell him Papi would like to speak with him
(d) To tell him Senor Pico killed Joel
3. When Amabelle and Yves come upon an oxen cart stuck in the mud, what do they notice the cart is filled with?
4. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
(b) It makes her long for the past.
(c) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
(d) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
5. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(b) Senora Valencia
(c) Father Vargas
6. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
(a) To try and resurrect him from the dead
(b) To purge his image from her memory
(c) To let him know she is looking for him
(d) To keep his memory alive
7. What do the people in the clinic share stories of?
(a) The happier times in the past
(b) Their former lives in the Dominican Republic
(c) The slaughter of Haitian immigrants that they witnessed
(d) The deaths of their parents
8. Where does Amabelle visit that she was afraid of going as a child?
(a) To the top of the citidel
(b) To her family's land
(c) To Sebastien's mother's home
(d) To the river
9. What does Yves suggest Amabelle do to make money for herself?
(a) Work in the local market
(b) Take care of Man Rapadou
(c) Sew dresses
(d) Farm with him
10. Who does Dona Sabine and Don Gilbert hide in their home?
(a) Haitian immigrants
(b) Senora Valencia
(c) The Generalissimo's soldiers
11. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She searched the countryside for her friend
(b) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
(c) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
(d) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
12. What warning does Dr. Javier bring to Amabelle?
(a) She must leave immediately because Senor Pico is planning to have her killed
(b) She must leave immediately because Haitian immigrants are being killed
(c) All Haitian immigrants are being deported
(d) Sebastien is wanted by the militia
13. How does Sebastien visit Amabelle now that he is dead?
(a) In her dreams
(b) In Yves' face
(c) In the faces of children
(d) In her work
14. What strikes Amabelle as she witnesses a woman having her leg amputated?
(a) The woman's leg
(b) A drop of her own blood
(c) A drop of the woman's blood
(d) The doctor's hand
15. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
(a) Information about Sebastien and Mimi
(b) To see Senora Valencia again
(c) Sebastien to return to Haiti
(d) Treatment for her injuries
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape did Amabelle's father always make her Christmas lanterns?
2. Who from Alegria does Amabelle discover is living near the border clinic?
3. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
4. What does Yves tell Amabelle is missing from the record books of the slaughter being kept by the church?
5. What does Juana prepare in honor of Rosalinda's baptism?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)