|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Yves give Amabelle that makes her hopeful Sebastien and Mimi were able to cross the river?
(a) Yves has left directions for them at each stop on the river
(b) The water level in the river has dropped
(c) Many people are crossing the river everyday now
(d) The massacre of Haitians by the Dominicans has stopped
2. Why does Amabelle visit Man Denise's house on a daily basis?
(a) She is trying to pass the time until Sebastien returns
(b) She wants to pay her respects to the woman
(c) She is watching for Sebastien to return
(d) She wants to ask her for permission to marry Sebastien
3. Which of the travelers is killed by the mob in Dajabon?
4. What does Kongo give Amabelle as a gift?
(a) Joel's bracelet
(b) A mask of her face
(c) A mask of Joel
(d) A ring
5. Where did the Generalissimo work as a young man?
(a) In a Haitian farm
(b) In the Dominican army
(c) In Senora Valencia's home
(d) In the cane fields
6. What warning does Dr. Javier bring to Amabelle?
(a) All Haitian immigrants are being deported
(b) She must leave immediately because Senor Pico is planning to have her killed
(c) She must leave immediately because Haitian immigrants are being killed
(d) Sebastien is wanted by the militia
7. Why do the Dominicans taunt Amabelle and Yves with parsley?
(a) Parsley is a symbol of independence
(b) It is readily available
(c) They know Haitians hate parsley
(d) To show they are Haitians through their pronunciation of the word
8. Why does Amabelle have difficulty finding the stream and cave when she visits Alegria?
(a) She is disoriented by the changes in the town
(b) She cannot remember where they are located
(c) She cannot find a guide to take her there
(d) She stream has dried up because of a drought
9. What does Yves tell Amabelle is missing from the record books of the slaughter being kept by the church?
(a) The torture Yves and Amabelle endured
(b) The Generalissimo's name
(c) Information about Odette and Wilmer
(d) Information about Sebastien and Mimi
10. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
(a) She hid several Haitian immigrants in her home
(b) She searched the countryside for her friend
(c) She painted a picture of her to hang in her home
(d) She gave birth to a child and named her Amabelle
11. What is ironic about the assassination of Generalissimo Trujillo?
(a) He is shot while giving a victory speech
(b) He is shot by his most loyal supporter
(c) He is shot as he was driving down a highway bearing his name
(d) He is accidentally shot by his bodyguard
12. Who does Amabelle see for the first time in years during the celebration following Trujillo's death?
(b) Father Romain
(c) Dr. Javier
13. Why does Amabelle repeat Sebastien's name over and over?
(a) To try and resurrect him from the dead
(b) To let him know she is looking for him
(c) To keep his memory alive
(d) To purge his image from her memory
14. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She is numbed by pain
(b) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(c) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(d) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
15. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Place the baby girl in bed with her
(b) Stroke her hand
(c) Tell her stories of her mother
(d) Tell her stories of Haiti
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yves suggest Amabelle do to make money for herself?
2. What main town do the travelers reach first?
3. What does Amabelle say would help her properly mourn Sebastien's death?
4. Why does Amabelle visit Kongo?
5. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)