|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the man driving the truck able to sneak Amabelle across the border?
(a) He is a government official
(b) He pays off the guards at each checkpoint
(c) The government owes him favors for helping in the revolution
(d) He hides her under his crates of vegetables
2. What shocks Amabelle about Man Rapadou's storytelling?
(a) She is able to laugh at sad stories
(b) It sounds as if she is reciting poetry
(c) It is highly detailed
(d) She remembers every detail of every event
3. What does Senora Valencia ask Senor Pico to do before he leaves for the military operation at the border?
(a) Bury their son
(b) Bury their son's clothes
(c) Kiss their daughter goodbye
(d) Plan their son's funeral
4. Where does Man Denise leave for?
(a) Cap Haitien
(d) Port au Prince
5. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She is numbed by pain
(b) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
(c) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
(d) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
6. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(a) Human bodies
(b) Sugar cane
7. Why did Man Denise name her son after Saint Sebastien?
(a) Because he was given two deaths
(b) Because she believed he would be protected by the saint's spirit
(c) Because he appeared holy from birth
(d) Because he was the patron saint of cane workers
8. Who does Amabelle write a letter to in hopes of finding information about Sebastien and Mimi?
(a) Senor Pico
(b) Dr. Javier
(d) Father Romain
9. What does Amabelle say would help her properly mourn Sebastien's death?
(a) Having some part of him in Haiti
(b) Knowing he was actually dead
(c) Seeing his dead body
(d) Being able to bury his body
10. How does Amabelle plan on crossing the border?
(a) By calling upon Senor Pico to grant her permission to cross
(b) During the night with the help of a man who does this for a living
(c) During the night with Yves' help
(d) By showing her papers to the guards at the border
11. Which of the following ideas is NOT part of the Generalissimo's speech broadcasted on the radio?
(a) Workers are revered
(b) All men must fulfill their military duties
(c) Those who are independent must carry out justice
(d) Today's leaders must help ensure the nation is free
12. What does Papi spend time doing after his grandson dies?
(a) Tending to his orchid garden
(b) Crying incessantly
(c) Listening to Spanish radio channels
(d) Watching over his grandson's coffin
13. Which of the travelers is killed by the mob in Dajabon?
14. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
(a) Being killed by the border guards
(b) Being arrested by the Dominican soldiers
(c) Being injured by the sharp rocks in the river
(d) Drowning in the raging river
15. Who does Tibon say is rumored to be waiting for the Haitians at the border?
(a) Their families
(b) The Generalissimo
(d) The Dominican army
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Senora Valencia do during the massacre to honor Amabelle?
2. Why does Wilner discourage the travelers from lighting fires?
3. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
4. Who does Amabelle see for the first time in years during the celebration following Trujillo's death?
5. Who from Alegria does Amabelle discover is living near the border clinic?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)