|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks Amabelle about Man Rapadou's storytelling?
(a) It is highly detailed
(b) She is able to laugh at sad stories
(c) It sounds as if she is reciting poetry
(d) She remembers every detail of every event
2. Which of the following is NOT a memory Amabelle has as she is walking down the trail with the other immigrants?
(a) Visiting with Sebastien
(b) Going to the market with Juana
(c) Holding Senora Valencia's babies
(d) Helping Papi in the garden
3. Who does Dona Sabine and Don Gilbert hide in their home?
(a) Senora Valencia
(b) The Generalissimo's soldiers
(c) Haitian immigrants
4. How does Amabelle react when she sees the waterfall again?
(a) She is numbed by pain
(b) She breaks down in tears for Sebastien
(c) She is surprised at how deep it is and is unsure it is the right one
(d) She grows angry at Valencia for taking her to wrong waterfall
5. What do the travelers smell burning when they awake?
(a) Human bodies
(d) Sugar cane
6. What does Juana prepare in honor of Rosalinda's baptism?
(b) A feast
(c) A baptismal gown
(d) An altar
7. What risk is Amabelle taking at the end of the novel by wading into the river?
(a) Being killed by the border guards
(b) Being injured by the sharp rocks in the river
(c) Being arrested by the Dominican soldiers
(d) Drowning in the raging river
8. What does Kongo give Amabelle as a gift?
(a) A mask of her face
(b) A ring
(c) Joel's bracelet
(d) A mask of Joel
9. Who offers to bless Amabelle and Sebastien's marriage?
(b) Senora Valencia
(c) Father Vargas
10. How does being called "Man Amabelle" effect Amabelle?
(a) It makes her realize how much she has aged.
(b) It makes her realize how much she misses Sebastien.
(c) It makes her long for the past.
(d) It angers her to be considered an old woman.
11. What main town do the travelers reach first?
(d) Cap Haitien
12. How has Father Romain changed since Amabelle last saw him?
(a) He is now angry and frustrated
(b) He is now at peace
(c) He is now insane
(d) He is now disoriented and sickly
13. What is different about the homes in Alegria when Amabelle visits years later?
(a) They were destroyed during the revolution
(b) They are now owned by Haitians
(c) They are more open and inviting
(d) They are protected by high walls and guards
14. Who stays with Rafi's body during the night after the wake?
(c) Senor Pico
(d) Senora Valencia
15. How do the residents of Cap Haitien react when they receive news of Trujillo's death?
(a) They celebrate in the streets
(b) They celebrate in private for fear of being arrested
(c) They grow anxious about who will be the next leader of the nation
(d) They mourn the great leader's death
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yves confess to Amabelle one night?
2. Why do the Dominicans taunt Amabelle and Yves with parsley?
3. How does Amabelle plan on crossing the border?
4. Why does Amabelle lie naked on the floor in Chapter 17?
5. What does Amabelle want in place of compensation?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)