|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What details about the babies' births does Dr. Javier ask Amabelle for?
(a) The size of each of the children when they were born
(b) The date of their births
(c) The length of Senora Valencia's labor
(d) The time of their births
2. Where do the cane workers bathe before work?
(a) In a communal bathtub
(b) In the stream
(c) In the rain
(d) In their huts
3. How did Amabelle know how to help Senora Valencia give birth?
(a) She observed her mother giving birth to her sibilings
(b) She observed Dr. Javier deliver babies
(c) She was trained as a midwife in Haiti
(d) She observed her parents who were herb healers deliver babies
4. Why is Amabelle concerned about leaving Senora Valencia alone during childbirth?
(a) She doesn't want Senora to feel lonely
(b) She is afraid Papi will become angry with her
(c) She doesn't want her to have to push the baby out alone
(d) She is concerned Senora will die
5. Why does Senora Valencia ask Pico to bring Amabelle to her the evening after the birth of her children?
(a) She wants her to bathe the children
(b) She wants to ask her to stay in the house for the night
(c) She wants to ask her for help taking care of the children
(d) She wants to thank her for helping her give birth
6. Who is the narrator?
(c) Senora Valencia
(d) Senor Pico
7. What does Papi listen to on the radio at night?
(a) Spanish music
(b) News of the Dominican war for independence
(c) News of the Spanish civil war
(d) Political speeches
8. Why does Senora Valencia ask Amabelle to light a candle after the babies are born?
(a) It is now night
(b) To alert her husband that the babies have arrived
(c) To honor the Virgin Mary
(d) To be able to see the children better
9. Why was Amabelle jealous of the people her father helped?
(a) They received more of his time than his daughter did
(b) They received more of his money than his family did
(c) He was kinder to those people than to his daughter
(d) Her father loved them more than he loved her
10. Why does the narrator prefer her shadow to other children?
(a) Her shadow makes her feel less lonely than other children
(b) Her shadow cannot leave her alone
(c) Her shadow never refuses to play the games she wants to play
(d) Her shadow cannot talk to her as other children can
11. What is wrong with Senora Valencia's daughter when she is born?
(a) She is unable to breathe
(b) She is small
(c) The umbilical cord is wrapped around her neck
(d) She cannot open her eyes
12. How did Amabelle come to work for Senora Valencia's family?
(a) They found her at the river after her parents died
(b) They adopted her after her parents died
(c) The river rats sold her to Senora Valencia's family
(d) She and Sebastien both applied for jobs at their farm
13. What does the narrator say she played with when she was a child?
(a) A doll
(b) Her sisters
(c) Her shadow
(d) Sugar cane stalks
14. Who does Juana insist Papi take with him when he goes to notify Pico of the children's births?
(d) Dr. Javier
15. Why are the Haitian immigrant children born in the Dominican Republic not able to attend "proper schools?"
(a) They are not Christians. Only Christians can attend the top schools
(b) The government will not give them the papers they need to enroll
(c) They do not speak Spanish
(d) Their skin color prevents them from being accepted into these schools
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amabelle become upset when Mimi refers to Beatriz by only her first name?
2. What should have been a warning to Amabelle's father that it was too dangerous to cross the river?
3. Why doesn't Senora Valencia name her son immediately?
4. Where is Sebastien when the narrator wakes up?
5. What emotion does Amabelle see in Luis' face as he watches Pico, Valencia and the babies together?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)