|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Senora Valencia concerned about having Dr. Javier deliver her baby?
(a) She does not have confidence in his ability to deliver babies
(b) She does not want him to see her in pain
(c) She does not want a man present when the children are born
(d) She does not want him to see her completely naked
2. Why are the Haitian immigrant children born in the Dominican Republic not able to attend "proper schools?"
(a) The government will not give them the papers they need to enroll
(b) They do not speak Spanish
(c) They are not Christians. Only Christians can attend the top schools
(d) Their skin color prevents them from being accepted into these schools
3. What position does Pico hope to hold one day?
(a) President of the Dominican Republic
(b) General in the army
(c) Army commander
(d) President of Haiti
4. What sound always makes Sebastien homesick?
(a) Amabelle's voice
(b) Pigeons cooing
(c) Sugar cane stalks being cut
(d) Mockingbirds singing
5. Who is the man Pico killed with his car?
6. What does Amabelle say she admired most about her mother?
(a) Her tranquility
(b) Her kindness
(c) Her tenacity
(d) Her seriousness
7. Senora Valencia's last statement to Amabelle can be seen as an example of...
(a) Covert racism
(c) Cvert racism
8. What does Papi listen to on the radio at night?
(a) Political speeches
(b) News of the Spanish civil war
(c) Spanish music
(d) News of the Dominican war for independence
9. How did Amabelle know how to help Senora Valencia give birth?
(a) She observed her mother giving birth to her sibilings
(b) She was trained as a midwife in Haiti
(c) She observed her parents who were herb healers deliver babies
(d) She observed Dr. Javier deliver babies
10. What plant did the Haitian immigrants use to bathe with?
(d) Sugar cane
11. Why does Amabelle believe her mother did not show her much affection?
(a) She wanted to prepare her for a life without love
(b) She was unable to express emotion easily
(c) She was a cold woman
(d) She did not love Amabelle
12. What thought does Sebastien suggest Amabelle replace the memory of her parents' deaths with?
(a) The idea that he will always protect her
(b) The idea that they will be reunited in the afterlife
(c) The idea that they are still alive
(d) The idea that they died of natural causes many years later
13. Why doesn't Senora Valencia name her son immediately?
(a) She wants her father to name him
(b) She wants her husband to name him
(c) She is concerned he will not survive
(d) She cannot think of a proper name for him
14. Where does Papi go when Senora Valencia goes into labor?
(a) To help Amabelle
(b) To get Dr. Javier
(c) To get Senora Valencia's husband
(d) To pray for his daughter's safety
15. Where do the cane workers bathe before work?
(a) In the rain
(b) In the stream
(c) In a communal bathtub
(d) In their huts
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sebastien ask Amabelle about in Chapter 3?
2. Who is Senora Valencia concerned that her daughter will be mistaken for?
3. Who does Papi ask Amabelle to take him to see?
4. When Sebastien is talking in his sleep, what does he tell Amabelle he wants to do?
5. What details about the babies' births does Dr. Javier ask Amabelle for?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)