|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sebastien's sister Mimi work for?
(a) The Generalissimo
(b) Dr. Javier's mother
(c) Senora Valencia
(d) Dr. Javier
2. What vocation was Juana preparing for when she met Luis?
(b) Domestic worker
3. What should have been a warning to Amabelle's father that it was too dangerous to cross the river?
(a) The water was above his head
(b) The levee was eroded
(c) It had rained earlier that day
(d) The river rats were afraid to cross
4. Why does Sebastien insist that the narrator take off her uniform?
(a) It represents her past in Haiti
(b) It represents the image her employers have of her
(c) It needs to be washed
(d) It is hot and itchy
5. What thought does Sebastien suggest Amabelle replace the memory of her parents' deaths with?
(a) The idea that they died of natural causes many years later
(b) The idea that they will be reunited in the afterlife
(c) The idea that he will always protect her
(d) The idea that they are still alive
6. Who is the man Pico killed with his car?
7. Why did Kongo disapprove of Joel and Felice's relationship?
(a) Felice came from a poor family
(b) Her father had stolen a chicken from Kongo
(c) Her grandfather had stolen a chicken from Kongo
(d) She was not beautiful enough for Joel
8. What alerts Amabelle that the baby will be born before Dr. Javier arrives?
(a) She sees the umbilical cord in the birth canal
(b) Senora Valencia's contractions grow stronger
(c) She sees the child's head in the birth canal
(d) Senora Valencia begins bleeding
9. What sound always makes Sebastien homesick?
(a) Pigeons cooing
(b) Amabelle's voice
(c) Sugar cane stalks being cut
(d) Mockingbirds singing
10. What is Sebastien's bracelet made of?
(a) Sugar cane juice
(b) Goat bones
(c) Sugar cane stalks
(d) Coffee beans
11. According to Sebastien, why does Kongo take Joel's body away before others can see him?
(a) He wishes to be left alone with his son
(b) He doesn't want to draw attention to his son's death
(c) He doesn't want Senor Pico to punish him for burying his son
(d) He wants to take him to a sacred burial place
12. Where is this first part of the novel set?
(a) In the Dominican Republic
(b) In Cuba
(c) In Mexico
(d) In Haiti
13. Why is Senora Valencia concerned about having Dr. Javier deliver her baby?
(a) She does not have confidence in his ability to deliver babies
(b) She does not want him to see her completely naked
(c) She does not want him to see her in pain
(d) She does not want a man present when the children are born
14. Why does Sebastien insist he and Amabelle talk if they are not touching?
(a) To protect themselves from nightmares
(b) To confirm their love
(c) To remind themselves they are alive
(d) To ward off evil spirits
15. What does Amabelle say she admired most about her mother?
(a) Her tranquility
(b) Her tenacity
(c) Her seriousness
(d) Her kindness
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the girl baby compare to the boy baby?
2. Why does the narrator prefer her shadow to other children?
3. How long has Sebastien been working as sugar cane worker?
4. What prompted Sebastien to leave Haiti?
5. Why does Amabelle become upset when Mimi refers to Beatriz by only her first name?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)