|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Senora Valencia name her son immediately?
(a) She wants her father to name him
(b) She cannot think of a proper name for him
(c) She wants her husband to name him
(d) She is concerned he will not survive
2. Who does Senora Valencia name her daughter in honor of?
(a) Her husband
(b) Her grandmother
(c) Her mother
3. How does Mimi say she hopes to die?
(a) Of natural causes after a long life
(b) In a violent way like Joel
(c) In her sleep
(d) Suddenly when she is not expecting it
4. What thought does Sebastien suggest Amabelle replace the memory of her parents' deaths with?
(a) The idea that they died of natural causes many years later
(b) The idea that he will always protect her
(c) The idea that they will be reunited in the afterlife
(d) The idea that they are still alive
5. What quality does Amabelle tell Sebastien she loved most in her father?
(a) His playfulness
(b) His skill at healing
(c) His joyfulness
(d) His seriousness
6. How did Amabelle come to work for Senora Valencia's family?
(a) She and Sebastien both applied for jobs at their farm
(b) They found her at the river after her parents died
(c) They adopted her after her parents died
(d) The river rats sold her to Senora Valencia's family
7. What does Papi listen to on the radio at night?
(a) News of the Spanish civil war
(b) Political speeches
(c) Spanish music
(d) News of the Dominican war for independence
8. What did Amabelle's mother give her to help her feel better when she was sick with a fever?
(a) Herbal medicine
(b) A talisman
(c) A doll
(d) Hugs and kisses
9. Why is Senora Valencia concerned when she goes into labor?
(a) She is afraid of the pain of childbirth
(b) Her husband is away
(c) It is two months before her due date
(d) The doctor may not be able to get there fast enough
10. What alerts Amabelle that the baby will be born before Dr. Javier arrives?
(a) Senora Valencia begins bleeding
(b) She sees the umbilical cord in the birth canal
(c) She sees the child's head in the birth canal
(d) Senora Valencia's contractions grow stronger
11. What sound always makes Sebastien homesick?
(a) Pigeons cooing
(b) Amabelle's voice
(c) Mockingbirds singing
(d) Sugar cane stalks being cut
12. Why does Amabelle become upset when Mimi refers to Beatriz by only her first name?
(a) She believes it is un-Christian to do so
(b) She knows it would anger Beatriz to be referred to by her first name
(c) She sees it as a sign of disrespect
(d) She is not allowed to call Senora Valencia by her first name
13. Who does Dona Sabine gesture to to come into her home?
14. Where are Sebastien and Amabelle from originally?
(b) The southern part of Haiti
(c) The northern part of Haiti
(d) The Dominican Republic
15. How does Luis characterize the drive from the army base home?
(d) Too fast
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amabelle wish she could remember from her past when she is helping Senora Valencia give birth?
2. Which of the following is NOT a part of the Dominican coat of arms?
3. Why was Amabelle jealous of the people her father helped?
4. Where is Senora Valencia's house located?
5. Which of the following is NOT a piece of advice Amabelle gives Senora Valencia to help ease the pain of childbirth?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)