|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways the narrator characterizes Sebastien?
2. Where is this first part of the novel set?
(a) In Haiti
(b) In the Dominican Republic
(c) In Mexico
(d) In Cuba
3. Why does the narrator's father caution her against playing with her shadow?
(a) He believes it will make her crazy
(b) He believes it will cause nightmares
(c) He believes it will isolate her from other children
(d) He believes it will draw evil spirits to her
4. Where does Sebastien work?
(a) In a sugar factory
(b) In the corn fields
(c) In the sugar cane fields
(d) In the same home as the narrator
5. Why is Amabelle concerned about leaving Senora Valencia alone during childbirth?
(a) She is concerned Senora will die
(b) She is afraid Papi will become angry with her
(c) She doesn't want Senora to feel lonely
(d) She doesn't want her to have to push the baby out alone
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerts Amabelle that the baby will be born before Dr. Javier arrives?
2. Where is Sebastien when the narrator wakes up?
3. Why is Senora Valencia concerned when she goes into labor?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. Who is Senora Valencia concerned that her daughter will be mistaken for?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)