|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator believe is the only person who truly knows her?
(b) Her mother
(c) Her shadow
(d) Her father
2. What prompted Sebastien to leave Haiti?
(a) He wanted to marry Amabelle
(b) A hurricane that destroyed his family's property and killed his father
(c) The war between Haiti and the Dominican Republic
(d) A tornado that destroyed his family's property and killed his father
3. How long has Sebastien been working as sugar cane worker?
(a) 1 year
(b) 10 years
(c) 14 years
(d) 4 years
4. Where does Papi go when Senora Valencia goes into labor?
(a) To help Amabelle
(b) To pray for his daughter's safety
(c) To get Dr. Javier
(d) To get Senora Valencia's husband
5. Which of the following is NOT a piece of advice Amabelle gives Senora Valencia to help ease the pain of childbirth?
(a) Breathe freely
(b) The child will be hers forever once she gives birth to him/her
(c) The pain will be only a bit more than being stung by a wasp
(d) Pray to the Virgin Mary for strength
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Senora Valencia name her son immediately?
2. Where is this first part of the novel set?
3. Why does the narrator prefer her shadow to other children?
4. Where is Senora Valencia's house located?
5. Who does Sebastien ask Amabelle about in Chapter 3?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)