|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Pico hope to hold one day?
(a) President of the Dominican Republic
(b) President of Haiti
(c) General in the army
(d) Army commander
2. Why is it ironic to Juana that Senora Valencia has twins?
(a) Her mother always dreamed Valencia would have twins
(b) Twins are a sign of good luck
(c) Her mother looked like she was having twins when she had Valencia
(d) Juana always wanted to have twins
3. Why are the Haitian immigrant children born in the Dominican Republic not able to attend "proper schools?"
(a) The government will not give them the papers they need to enroll
(b) They are not Christians. Only Christians can attend the top schools
(c) Their skin color prevents them from being accepted into these schools
(d) They do not speak Spanish
4. What does Senora Valencia ask Juana to do to soothe her into sleep?
(a) Stroke her hand
(b) Tell her stories of Haiti
(c) Place the baby girl in bed with her
(d) Tell her stories of her mother
5. Why did Amabelle's father move her away from her mother's cooking pot when she was a child?
(a) He knows it will anger her mother to see her tampering with the food
(b) He wants her to remain a child and not grow up too quickly
(c) He does not want her to become a domestic worker
(d) He is concerned she will burn herself
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dona Sabine gesture to to come into her home?
2. Who is the man Pico killed with his car?
3. Why does Senora Valencia ask Amabelle to light a candle after the babies are born?
4. What quality does Amabelle tell Sebastien she loved most in her father?
5. Who stays with Senora Valencia the night after the children are born?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)