Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
2. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
3. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
4. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
5. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
Essay Topic 1
What is Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality in this novel? Does his attitude change, and if so, how significant is this change? What does the subject of death contribute to this story? Why is it important to acknowledge one's own mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Character development is an essential element of a novel. Select a character and discuss how that character changes throughout the course of the novel. Be sure to:
- describe the character at the beginning of the novel;
- discuss events that contribute to that character's change;
- describe the changed character;
- discuss how the changes in the character propel the plot.
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)