|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
2. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
3. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
4. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
5. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
2. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
3. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
4. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
5. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
6. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
7. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
8. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
9. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
10. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
Essay Topic 3
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)