|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
2. Once on foot, where do the women head?
3. Catherine _________ Frederic's beard.
4. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
5. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
2. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
3. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
4. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
5. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
8. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
9. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
10. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 3
The callous reality of war is portrayed in this novel. There are several examples in this novel where "reality" is countered with "dreams."
1 - Discuss the accounts of when dreams conflicted with harsh reality for Catherine and Frederic.
2 - Why do you think the characters seemed to fall back on "dreams" to help them face reality?
3 - How do you face a harsh reality?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)