|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
2. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
3. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
4. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
5. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
2. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
3. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
4. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
5. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
6. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
7. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
8. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
9. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
10. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 32, Frederic decides he is done with the army. In this chapter, one can perceive Frederic as the protagonist and "war" as the antagonist. This was discussed during this lesson. Considering the end of the novel, is Frederic, our protagonist, the typical hero? Do you think he perceives himself as a hero? Why do you think Hemingway chose to portray his protagonist as having such a self-perception?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in a foreign country. This setting exposes us to another culture, giving us some knowledge of how other people live.
1 - What differences in lifestyle, values and relationships does Hemingway portray between Italians and Americans?
2 - Do you think these differences are a fair account of all Italians? Do you think these differences still exist today?
3 - How might an Italian describe an American during this time?
Essay Topic 3
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)