|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
2. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
3. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
4. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
5. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
2. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
3. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
4. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
5. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
6. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
7. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
8. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
9. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
10. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
Essay Topic 2
What is Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality in this novel? Does his attitude change, and if so, how significant is this change? What does the subject of death contribute to this story? Why is it important to acknowledge one's own mortality?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)