|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
2. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
3. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
4. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
5. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
3. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
4. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
5. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
6. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
7. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
8. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
9. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
10. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)