|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
2. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
3. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
4. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
5. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
2. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
3. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
4. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
5. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
6. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
7. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
8. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
9. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
10. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
What is Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality in this novel? Does his attitude change, and if so, how significant is this change? What does the subject of death contribute to this story? Why is it important to acknowledge one's own mortality?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)