|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
2. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
3. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
4. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
5. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
2. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
3. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
4. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
5. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
6. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
7. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
8. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
9. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
10. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on and evaluate the title of the book. Discuss the title, its meaning, and how it relates to the story. Is it ironic? Is it symbolic? Why do you think Hemingway chose this title?
Essay Topic 2
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)