|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
2. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
3. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
4. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
5. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
3. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
4. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
5. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
6. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
7. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
8. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
9. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
10. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Frederic decides he is done with the army. In this chapter, one can perceive Frederic as the protagonist and "war" as the antagonist. This was discussed during this lesson. Considering the end of the novel, is Frederic, our protagonist, the typical hero? Do you think he perceives himself as a hero? Why do you think Hemingway chose to portray his protagonist as having such a self-perception?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)