|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
2. Once on foot, where do the women head?
3. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
4. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
5. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
3. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
4. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
5. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
6. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
7. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
8. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
9. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
10. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality in this novel? Does his attitude change, and if so, how significant is this change? What does the subject of death contribute to this story? Why is it important to acknowledge one's own mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is set in a foreign country. This setting exposes us to another culture, giving us some knowledge of how other people live.
1 - What differences in lifestyle, values and relationships does Hemingway portray between Italians and Americans?
2 - Do you think these differences are a fair account of all Italians? Do you think these differences still exist today?
3 - How might an Italian describe an American during this time?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)