|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
2. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
3. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
4. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
5. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
2. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
3. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
4. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
5. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
6. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
7. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
8. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
9. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
10. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)