|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
2. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
3. Which statement best describes Gino?
4. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
5. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
3. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
4. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
5. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
6. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
7. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
8. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
9. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
10. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)