|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
2. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
3. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
4. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
5. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
2. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
3. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
4. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
5. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
6. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
7. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
8. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
9. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
10. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)