|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
2. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
3. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
4. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
5. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
2. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
3. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
4. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
5. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
8. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
9. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
10. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of patriotism in this novel? Compare and contrast Frederic with the patriotic character, Gino, from Chapter 27. What are the views of each man? Discuss their difference of opinion to uncover the main point each believes about the war. In what ways does the novel critique the romantic rhetoric of war, honor, and patriotism?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)