|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
2. Frederic's son dies from:
3. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
4. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
5. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
2. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
3. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
4. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
5. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
6. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
7. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
8. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
9. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
10. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
Essay Topic 2
If you were in Frederic's group during the retreat to Udine, would you have maintained confidence in him as a leader? Why or why not? Would your confidence have been affected by his actions toward the fleeing sergeants? What would that have told you about his character and/or leadership abilities?
Essay Topic 3
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)