Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
2. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
3. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
4. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
5. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
Essay Topic 1
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Frederic decides he is done with the army. In this chapter, one can perceive Frederic as the protagonist and "war" as the antagonist. This was discussed during this lesson. Considering the end of the novel, is Frederic, our protagonist, the typical hero? Do you think he perceives himself as a hero? Why do you think Hemingway chose to portray his protagonist as having such a self-perception?
Essay Topic 3
If you were in Frederic's group during the retreat to Udine, would you have maintained confidence in him as a leader? Why or why not? Would your confidence have been affected by his actions toward the fleeing sergeants? What would that have told you about his character and/or leadership abilities?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)