|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once on foot, where do the women head?
2. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
3. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
4. Frederic contacts his family for:
5. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
2. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
3. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
4. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
5. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
6. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
7. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
8. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
9. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
10. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Frederic's group during the retreat to Udine, would you have maintained confidence in him as a leader? Why or why not? Would your confidence have been affected by his actions toward the fleeing sergeants? What would that have told you about his character and/or leadership abilities?
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)