|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
2. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
3. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
4. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
5. In Chapter 29, another obstacle that arises for the group is they. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
2. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
3. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
4. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
5. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
6. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
7. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
8. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
9. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
10. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 3
The callous reality of war is portrayed in this novel. There are several examples in this novel where "reality" is countered with "dreams."
1 - Discuss the accounts of when dreams conflicted with harsh reality for Catherine and Frederic.
2 - Why do you think the characters seemed to fall back on "dreams" to help them face reality?
3 - How do you face a harsh reality?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)