|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
2. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
3. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
4. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
5. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
2. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
3. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
4. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
5. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
6. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
7. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
8. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
9. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
10. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)