|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
2. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
3. Which statement best describes Gino?
4. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
5. Frederic departs the train in:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
2. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
3. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
4. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
5. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
6. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
7. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
8. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
9. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
10. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)