|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
2. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
3. Catherine _________ Frederic's beard.
4. Frederic departs the train in:
5. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
2. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
3. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
4. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
5. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
6. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
7. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
8. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
9. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
10. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of patriotism in this novel? Compare and contrast Frederic with the patriotic character, Gino, from Chapter 27. What are the views of each man? Discuss their difference of opinion to uncover the main point each believes about the war. In what ways does the novel critique the romantic rhetoric of war, honor, and patriotism?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)