|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
2. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
3. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
4. Frederic sends out a porter to:
5. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
2. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
3. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
4. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
5. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
6. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
7. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
8. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
9. Describe Catherine Barkley.
10. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in a foreign country. This setting exposes us to another culture, giving us some knowledge of how other people live.
1 - What differences in lifestyle, values and relationships does Hemingway portray between Italians and Americans?
2 - Do you think these differences are a fair account of all Italians? Do you think these differences still exist today?
3 - How might an Italian describe an American during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)