|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
2. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
3. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
4. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
5. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
2. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
3. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
4. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
5. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
6. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
7. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
8. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
9. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
10. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
Essay Topic 3
Character development is an essential element of a novel. Select a character and discuss how that character changes throughout the course of the novel. Be sure to:
- describe the character at the beginning of the novel;
- discuss events that contribute to that character's change;
- describe the changed character;
- discuss how the changes in the character propel the plot.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)