|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
2. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
3. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
4. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
5. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
3. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
4. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
5. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
6. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
7. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
8. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
9. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
10. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on and evaluate the title of the book. Discuss the title, its meaning, and how it relates to the story. Is it ironic? Is it symbolic? Why do you think Hemingway chose this title?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)