|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
2. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
3. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
4. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
5. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
2. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
3. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
4. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
5. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
6. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
7. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
8. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
9. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
10. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
This section contains 2,310 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)