|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
2. Frederic's sweet reference to the baby in Chapter 24 seems to indicate:
3. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
4. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
5. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
2. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
3. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
4. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
5. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
6. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
7. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
8. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
9. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
10. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
Essay Topic 1
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 2
What is Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality in this novel? Does his attitude change, and if so, how significant is this change? What does the subject of death contribute to this story? Why is it important to acknowledge one's own mortality?
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
This section contains 2,339 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)