|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
2. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
3. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
4. What rank does Frederic Henry hold?
5. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
2. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
3. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
4. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
5. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
6. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
7. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
8. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
9. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
10. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)