|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time setting of this story?
2. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
3. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
4. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
5. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
2. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
3. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
4. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
5. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
6. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
7. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
8. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
9. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
10. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
Essay Topic 1
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 2
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
Essay Topic 3
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
This section contains 2,267 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)