|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
2. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
3. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
4. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
5. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
2. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
3. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
4. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
5. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
6. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
7. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
8. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
9. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
10. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on and evaluate the title of the book. Discuss the title, its meaning, and how it relates to the story. Is it ironic? Is it symbolic? Why do you think Hemingway chose this title?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)