|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
5. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
3. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
10. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
Essay Topic 1
To what degree do Frederic's decisions affect the course of this story? Consider the following decisions (this list is not exclusive nor in order of occurrence) Frederic made and discuss how (and if) they affected the story. You can use some or all of these or include your own examples.
- Frederic engaged in a drinking game when he was to meet Catherine
- Frederic dove into the river amidst gunfire
- Frederic wrote home for money
- Frederic shot the sergeant
- Frederic chose to see Catherine again after first meeting her
- Frederic pushed to have his leg surgery immediately
What does your discussion of the above choices tell us about the influence a character can have on a story?
Essay Topic 2
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
This section contains 2,186 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)