|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
2. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
3. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
4. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
5. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
2. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
3. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
4. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
5. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
6. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
7. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
8. Describe Ettore.
9. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
10. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of patriotism in this novel? Compare and contrast Frederic with the patriotic character, Gino, from Chapter 27. What are the views of each man? Discuss their difference of opinion to uncover the main point each believes about the war. In what ways does the novel critique the romantic rhetoric of war, honor, and patriotism?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)