|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
2. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
3. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
4. What rank does Frederic Henry hold?
5. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
2. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
3. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
4. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
5. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
6. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
7. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
8. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
9. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
10. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on and evaluate the title of the book. Discuss the title, its meaning, and how it relates to the story. Is it ironic? Is it symbolic? Why do you think Hemingway chose this title?
Essay Topic 3
Character development is an essential element of a novel. Select a character and discuss how that character changes throughout the course of the novel. Be sure to:
- describe the character at the beginning of the novel;
- discuss events that contribute to that character's change;
- describe the changed character;
- discuss how the changes in the character propel the plot.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)