|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
2. The first person Frederic encounters back at the front is the:
3. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
4. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
5. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
2. Describe Ettore.
3. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
5. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
6. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
7. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
8. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
9. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
10. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set in a foreign country. This setting exposes us to another culture, giving us some knowledge of how other people live.
1 - What differences in lifestyle, values and relationships does Hemingway portray between Italians and Americans?
2 - Do you think these differences are a fair account of all Italians? Do you think these differences still exist today?
3 - How might an Italian describe an American during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship plays a strong role in this novel. Friendship not only helps the soldiers cope with the stress of war, but it also provides a safe haven within which Catherine and Frederic's relationship is able to develop. Evaluate the role of friendship in this novel.
1 - Rinaldi and Frederic are very close friends. What evidence supports this statement? How do we know their relationship runs deeper than just roommates?
2- How does the "shield" of friendship support and protect Frederic and Catherine in this novel?
3 - Discuss whether or not Frederic and Catherine's romantic relationship shows characteristics of deeply-rooted friendship.
4 - How does friendship support the characters in this novel overall?
Essay Topic 3
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)