Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
5. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
3. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
10. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
Essay Topic 1
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
This section contains 2,186 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)