|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
2. The priest wishes to be back home in:
3. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
4. What is the time setting of this story?
5. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
2. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
3. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
4. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
5. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
6. Describe Ettore.
7. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
8. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
9. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When devising a plot, an author has four available types of conflict: man vs. man; man vs. nature; man vs. society; and man vs. himself.
1 - Which of these conflicts applies to the plot of this novel and the conflict Frederic faces? Does more than one apply? Discuss.
2 - How does conflict strengthen the framework of a story?
Essay Topic 2
How is pregnancy portrayed in a novel for this time period? How did Frederic take the news? Discuss the dark thoughts Frederic has with himself when he is told of the trouble with the pregnancy. Do you think these thoughts were fair? Do you think the couple was made to "pay the price" for their relationship? What does all of this suggest about the attitude toward unwed pregnancy for the time period and culture?
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)