Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
5. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
3. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
10. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of patriotism in this novel? Compare and contrast Frederic with the patriotic character, Gino, from Chapter 27. What are the views of each man? Discuss their difference of opinion to uncover the main point each believes about the war. In what ways does the novel critique the romantic rhetoric of war, honor, and patriotism?
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)