Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
5. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
3. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
10. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
If you were in Frederic's group during the retreat to Udine, would you have maintained confidence in him as a leader? Why or why not? Would your confidence have been affected by his actions toward the fleeing sergeants? What would that have told you about his character and/or leadership abilities?
In this novel, the characters become increasingly acquainted with the horrors of war.
Part 1 - How does Frederic's attitude about the danger of war change in this novel?
Part 2- How do the soldiers cope with the horrors that they see? How are their coping mechanisms alike/different? Do these coping mechanisms really help them?
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)