|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
2. What is the time setting of this story?
3. This is Frederic Henry's occupation:
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
5. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
2. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
3. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
4. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
5. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
6. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
7. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
8. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
9. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
10. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine and Frederic are both influential characters in this book. Which character do you feel was more influential and why? Did this character experience more or less change than the other? Discuss the influence this character had on the other, as well as the story.
Essay Topic 2
The question of why Frederic has joined the army is never directly answered in this novel. Why do you think Frederic joined the Italian army? Be sure to consider knowledge of his character, events, and other information you find relevant for your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)