|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
2. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
3. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
4. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
5. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
2. Describe Ettore.
3. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
4. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
5. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
6. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
7. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
8. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
9. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
10. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on and evaluate the title of the book. Discuss the title, its meaning, and how it relates to the story. Is it ironic? Is it symbolic? Why do you think Hemingway chose this title?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)