|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
2. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
3. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
4. The first horse on which Catherine and Frederic bet:
5. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
2. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
3. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
4. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
7. Describe Catherine Barkley.
8. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
9. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
10. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is a reoccurring symbol in this novel. It appears as lakes, rivers, and rain.
1 - Summarize the places in the story where Hemingway utilizes water as a symbol.
2- What does this symbol seem to stand for when looking at the novel as a whole? How is this different from how Catherine's mentioning of rain in the beginning of the novel?
3 - How does the use of this symbol intensify the plot and the writing?
Essay Topic 2
Character development is an essential element of a novel. Select a character and discuss how that character changes throughout the course of the novel. Be sure to:
- describe the character at the beginning of the novel;
- discuss events that contribute to that character's change;
- describe the changed character;
- discuss how the changes in the character propel the plot.
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)