|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
2. What does Frederic do until the spring?
3. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
4. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
5. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
2. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
3. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
4. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
5. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
6. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
7. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
8. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
9. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
10. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Character development is an essential element of a novel. Select a character and discuss how that character changes throughout the course of the novel. Be sure to:
- describe the character at the beginning of the novel;
- discuss events that contribute to that character's change;
- describe the changed character;
- discuss how the changes in the character propel the plot.
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Frederic and Catherine oscillate in their feelings toward one another, especially earlier in the novel.
1- What did the "games" the couple played early in the novel suggest about their relationship?
2- What was the significance of the discussion Frederic had with the priest regarding love?
3 - At what point do you think Frederic really knew he loved Catherine? At what point do you think Catherine knew she loved Frederic?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)