|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's opinion of his treatment when he first arrives at the Milan hospital is:
2. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. The situation at the race track exemplifies that Catherine and Frederic:
5. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine Barkley.
2. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
3. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
4. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
5. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
6. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
7. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
8. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
9. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
10. Describe Ettore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Frederic's group during the retreat to Udine, would you have maintained confidence in him as a leader? Why or why not? Would your confidence have been affected by his actions toward the fleeing sergeants? What would that have told you about his character and/or leadership abilities?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of patriotism in this novel? Compare and contrast Frederic with the patriotic character, Gino, from Chapter 27. What are the views of each man? Discuss their difference of opinion to uncover the main point each believes about the war. In what ways does the novel critique the romantic rhetoric of war, honor, and patriotism?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)