|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
2. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
3. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
4. What does Frederic do until the spring?
5. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
2. Describe Ettore.
3. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
4. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
5. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
6. Describe Catherine Barkley.
7. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
10. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 3
The callous reality of war is portrayed in this novel. There are several examples in this novel where "reality" is countered with "dreams."
1 - Discuss the accounts of when dreams conflicted with harsh reality for Catherine and Frederic.
2 - Why do you think the characters seemed to fall back on "dreams" to help them face reality?
3 - How do you face a harsh reality?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)