|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the train, Frederic ends up sleeping:
2. Frederic and the priest agree that:
3. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
4. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
5. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
2. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
3. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
4. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
5. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
6. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
7. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
8. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
9. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
10. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway utilizes many literary devices in his written works. Select one of the following literary devices and discuss its use in this novel. Be sure to cite examples, as well as include your thoughts as to how it enhanced and affected the book, in your discussion.
- Symbolism (water, army gear, Saint Anthony medal)
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following scenarios and discuss:
You are Catherine's friend, Helen, and she is just about to run away with Frederic. What advice would you have for Catherine? Would you want her to stay, or would you encourage her to be with the man she loves despite the danger?
You are Frederic's friend, Rinaldi, and Frederic has contacted you secretly after Catherine and the baby have died. What advice would you have for Frederic to help him cope with the death of his loved ones?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has a distinct writing style. First, describe Hemingway's writing style. Then consider the following:
1 - Why do you think Hemingway writes in such a manner, presenting the story from the perspective he does?;
2 - What other writing style does Hemingway employ? When does he use this style and why?;
3 - How can an author's choice of writing style affect the tone, mood, and intensity of a novel?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)