|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
(b) She is exhausted and fearful.
(c) She is cheerful and optimistic.
(d) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
2. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
3. Once on foot, where do the women head?
(a) to the highway
(b) with Frederic's group
(c) to bury the dead soldier
(d) back to the farmhouse
4. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is the middle of the night.
(c) They are taking their luggage with them.
(d) They have no umbrella.
5. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
(a) they are siblings studying abroad.
(b) they are on their honeymoon.
(c) they visiting Switzerland for winter sport.
(d) they are lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
2. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
3. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
4. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
5. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
2. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
3. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
4. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
5. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
6. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
7. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
8. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
9. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
10. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)