|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic's son dies from:
(a) a hemorrhage
(b) inability to breathe
(d) fetal distress in utero
2. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
3. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
(b) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
(c) write often to family members
(d) be connected closely to family
4. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
(a) Ralph Simmons
(b) Mr. Myers
(c) Edgar Saunders
(d) Helen Ferguson
5. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) an old man as his seat companion.
(b) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
(c) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(d) a friend of Catherine's.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
2. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
3. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
4. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
5. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
2. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
3. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
4. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
5. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
6. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
7. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
8. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
9. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
10. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)