|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
2. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
3. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) while Frederic is at the cafe.
(b) with Frederic at her bedside.
(c) during the baby's birth.
(d) alone in the night hours.
4. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
5. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
(a) in jeopardy
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
2. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
3. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
4. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
5. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
2. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
3. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
4. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
5. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
6. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
7. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
8. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
9. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
10. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)