|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
2. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he has seen British nurses.
(b) if he has news on the war.
(c) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(d) when the tourist season will begin.
3. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be less adventerous
(b) would be simpler
(c) would be perfect
(d) would be less confusing
4. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) his own hand
(b) the rear guard of the retreat
(c) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(d) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
5. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
(b) a burden
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
2. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
3. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
4. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
5. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
2. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
3. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
4. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
5. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
6. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
7. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
8. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
9. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
10. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)