|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
2. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) driving them apart
(b) smothering their love
(c) hurrying them
(d) frightening them
3. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
(a) she eats more.
(b) she exercises more.
(c) she complains more.
(d) she stays in bed more.
4. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
(a) the man in the cafe
(b) Frederic's former porter and his wife
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Miss Van Campen
5. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
(a) has no feeling toward fatherhood.
(b) feels afraid of the baby.
(c) feels he was born to be a father.
(d) is ecstatic about his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
2. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
3. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
4. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
5. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
2. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
3. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
4. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
5. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
6. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
7. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
8. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
9. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
10. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)