|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) rebandage their wounds.
(b) find food and water.
(c) discuss giving themselves up.
(d) sleep for three hours.
2. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he dreams about the war every night.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(d) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
3. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
(a) return to America to be with Frederic's family.
(b) stay in Milan for the baby's safety.
(c) leave the country for Frederic's safety.
(d) go to Venice for Catherine's medical care.
4. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
(a) He feels their connection is waning.
(b) He enjoys time as a couple, but appreciates alone time.
(c) He is starting to feel the pressure of their relationship.
(d) His life is empty when he is not with her.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
(d) good ones
Short Answer Questions
1. To get to Switzerland, Frederic and Catherine have to:
2. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
3. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
4. Frederic departs the train in:
5. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
2. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
3. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
4. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
5. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
6. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
7. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
8. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
9. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
10. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)