|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
2. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) books and death
(b) life and death
(c) the war and newspapers
(d) love and life lessons
3. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
4. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
(a) Catherine lying next to him.
(b) buying a home with Catherine.
(c) playing with his child.
(d) escaping from Europe.
5. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(b) dress as peasants to escape detection
(c) use the stars to guide them
(d) offer food
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
2. As a fugitive, Frederic decides. . .
3. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
4. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
5. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
2. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
3. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
4. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
5. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
6. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
7. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
8. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
9. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
10. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)