|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) They have no umbrella.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is the middle of the night.
(d) They are taking their luggage with them.
2. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
(b) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(c) an old man as his seat companion.
(d) a friend of Catherine's.
3. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
4. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
(a) live like a happily married couple.
(b) continue to argue about the subject.
(c) decide to get married in the spring.
(d) refuse to marry one another.
5. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) that night
(b) they are not coming
(c) the next afternoon
(d) the next morning
Short Answer Questions
1. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
2. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
3. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
4. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
5. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
2. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
3. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
4. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
5. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
6. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
7. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
8. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
9. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
10. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)