|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
2. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
3. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
(a) He teaches the men about ambulance machinery.
(b) He knows the bridge would be safe for a single man to cross.
(c) He lectures the men on the war.
(d) He correctly reads the map to get to Udine.
4. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
(b) an old man as his seat companion.
(c) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(d) a friend of Catherine's.
5. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) driving them apart
(b) smothering their love
(c) frightening them
(d) hurrying them
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
2. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
3. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
4. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
5. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
2. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
3. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
4. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
5. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
6. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
7. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
8. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
9. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
10. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)