|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
(a) He writes her many letters.
(b) He tries to get back to her.
(c) He cries over her.
(d) He has a dream about her.
2. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) a friend of Catherine's.
(b) an old man as his seat companion.
(c) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(d) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) his own hand
(b) the rear guard of the retreat
(c) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(d) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
4. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
(a) icy water and aching muscles
(b) heavy equipment and fatigue
(c) icy water and heavy boots
(d) strong current and heavy boots
5. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(a) hold their position
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
2. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
3. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
4. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
5. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
2. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
3. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
6. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
7. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
8. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
9. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
10. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)