|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
2. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(b) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(c) the rear guard of the retreat
(d) his own hand
3. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(b) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
(c) She is cheerful and optimistic.
(d) She is exhausted and fearful.
4. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
5. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
(a) continue to argue about the subject.
(b) live like a happily married couple.
(c) decide to get married in the spring.
(d) refuse to marry one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
2. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
3. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
4. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
5. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
3. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
4. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
5. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
6. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
7. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
8. Why do you think Catherine suggests that the baby will "come between them"?
9. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
10. How does Hemingway slowly exhibit increasing betrayal between Frederic and the Italian army?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)