|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(b) she does not believe in marriage.
(c) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
(d) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
2. Frederic contacts his family for:
(a) fatherhood advice
(b) permission to marry
(c) instructions on how to get home
3. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
4. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They are fidgeting a lot.
(b) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(c) They turn around and walk away.
(d) They start speaking in Austrian.
5. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
2. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
3. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
4. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
5. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
2. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
3. What is the significance of Frederic's actions when he emerges from the river?
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. What major decision does Frederic resolve in his mind on his train trip to Milan? Is he sure of his decision?
6. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
7. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
8. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
9. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
10. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)