|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) find food and water.
(c) sleep for three hours.
(d) rebandage their wounds.
2. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) that night
(b) the next afternoon
(c) the next morning
(d) they are not coming
3. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
(d) good ones
4. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Frederic and Aymo
(b) Frederic and Bonello
(c) Bonello and Piani
(d) Frederic and Piani
5. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
(a) He correctly reads the map to get to Udine.
(b) He teaches the men about ambulance machinery.
(c) He lectures the men on the war.
(d) He knows the bridge would be safe for a single man to cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
2. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
3. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
4. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
5. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
2. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
3. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
4. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
5. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
6. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
7. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
8. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
9. What is the significance of the couple feeling hurried by the end of the pregnancy?
10. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)