|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(d) hold their position
2. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
3. As a fugitive, Frederic decides. . .
(a) openly trust his closest friends.
(b) to remain in Milan.
(c) to turn himself in.
(d) not to take any chances with anyone.
4. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
5. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
(a) a Catholic
(b) a socialist
(c) an atheist
(d) a Protestant
Short Answer Questions
1. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
2. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
3. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
4. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
5. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
2. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
3. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
4. How does the porter know that Frederic and Catherine are not just going out for a normal walk? What evidence supports his inference?
5. Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel so far.
6. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
7. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
8. Would you trust your friends or people who offer to help you if you were in Frederic's situation?
9. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
10. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)