|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic's opinion of his treatment when he first arrives at the Milan hospital is:
2. This character informs Frederic that Catherine can not come down to see him when he tries to visit her at the hospital.
(b) a porter
(c) the head nurse
3. The first person Frederic encounters back at the front is the:
4. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
5. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a trial
(b) an inconvenience
(c) a blessing
(d) a game
Short Answer Questions
1. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
2. The men in the army predict the upcoming year of the war to be _________ for the Italians.
3. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
4. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
5. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
2. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
3. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
4. What do we learn from Frederic's dream involving Catherine?
5. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
8. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
9. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
10. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)