|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) does not understand love
(b) he does not love much
(c) always comits fully to love
(d) falls in love easily
2. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) take place immediately
(b) wait three to six months
(c) wait three to six weeks
(d) wait three to six days
3. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
4. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
(b) His luggage has been misplaced.
(c) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(d) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
5. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
(a) He writes to Catherine.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He does not think about it.
(d) He prays.
Short Answer Questions
1. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
2. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
3. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
4. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
5. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
2. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
3. Describe Ettore.
4. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
5. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
6. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
7. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
8. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
9. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
10. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)