|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Crowell Rodgers
(b) Mr. Myers
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Mrs. Myers
2. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
(a) Edgar Saunders
(b) Ettore Moretti
(c) Luigi Piani
(d) Ralph Simmons
3. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(b) The war will continue for another year.
(c) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(d) The United States will join in the war.
4. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
5. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(b) the major
(c) the priest
(d) Frederic Henry
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
2. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
3. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
4. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
5. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
2. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
3. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
4. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
5. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
6. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
7. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
8. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
9. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
10. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)