|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(b) His luggage has been misplaced.
(c) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
(d) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
2. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
(a) Miss Van Campen
(b) Miss Ferguson
(c) Mrs. Walker
(d) Miss Gage
3. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) profess their love to one another
(b) sneak out for an easy walk
(c) spend the night together
(d) read romantic books to one another
4. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(a) in love with him
5. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
2. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
3. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
4. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
5. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
2. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
3. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
4. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
5. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
6. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
7. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
8. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
9. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
10. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)