|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(b) She is in love with Henry.
(c) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(d) She dislikes Henry.
3. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
(a) He forget about her.
(b) He promises to write to her.
(c) He marry her.
(d) He not say goodbye to her.
4. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
(c) a few
5. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
(a) numb the effects of the war
(b) be more interesting to Catherine
(c) have more fun while in the hospital
(d) numb the pain of his injuries
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
2. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
3. What is the time setting of this story?
4. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
5. The major claims this is the religion of all thinking men:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
2. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
3. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
4. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
5. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
6. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
7. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
10. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)