|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
(a) Little Catherine
(b) Mini Catherine
(c) Baby Henry
(d) Baby Catherine
2. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The war will continue for another year.
(b) The United States will join in the war.
(c) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(d) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
3. Frederic feels ______ may be worse than defeat.
4. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a blessing
(b) a game
(c) an inconvenience
(d) a trial
5. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
(a) the horrible wounds she encounters as a nurse
(b) her secret with Frederic being found out
(c) being sent away for lack of work
(d) Frederic's dangerous surgery
Short Answer Questions
1. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
2. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
3. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
4. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
5. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
2. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
3. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
4. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
5. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
6. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
7. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
8. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
9. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
10. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)