|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
(a) Baby Catherine
(b) Baby Henry
(c) Little Catherine
(d) Mini Catherine
2. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
(a) He is fond of the Italians' nightlife.
(b) He feels he is too timid to enjoy the Italian lifestyle.
(c) He feels the Italian lifestyle is frivolous.
(d) He abhors Italian social customs.
3. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
4. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks rudely of her.
(b) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
(c) He says he has not seen her.
(d) He speaks lovingly of her.
5. This is Frederic Henry's occupation:
(a) battle police
(b) mess cook
(d) ambulance driver
Short Answer Questions
1. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
2. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
3. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
4. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
5. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
2. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
3. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
4. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
5. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
6. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
7. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
8. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
9. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)