|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
2. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(d) going home.
3. What rank does Frederic Henry hold?
4. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
(b) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
(c) He tried to kiss her.
(d) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
5. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
(b) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(c) His luggage has been misplaced.
(d) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
2. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
3. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
4. What is odd about Frederic and Catherine's discussion in the hotel?
5. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frederic's goodbye to Catherine "fitting" considering his love for her? Why or why not?
2. Describe Frederic's reaction to the birth of his son.
3. What advice does the Count give to Frederic about aging?
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
6. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
7. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
8. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
9. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
10. Describe the reunion between Frederic and Catherine.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)