|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
(a) He argues with Frederic.
(b) He loses money gambling.
(c) He tells secrets about his new girlfriend.
(d) He speaks rudely of Catherine.
2. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) always comits fully to love
(b) he does not love much
(c) falls in love easily
(d) does not understand love
3. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
4. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) take place immediately
(b) wait three to six months
(c) wait three to six days
(d) wait three to six weeks
5. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
(a) Baby Catherine
(b) Mini Catherine
(c) Baby Henry
(d) Little Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about Frederic and Catherine's discussion in the hotel?
2. The first person Frederic encounters back at the front is the:
3. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
4. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
5. Frederic and the priest agree that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
2. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
3. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
4. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
5. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
6. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
7. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
8. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
9. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
10. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)