|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(a) the major
(b) the priest
(c) Frederic Henry
2. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) have withered away
(b) have stayed the same
(c) still remain bottled up
(d) have strengthened
3. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
(a) confident in their love
(b) indecisive as to whether or not to continue this relationship
(c) insecure about the relationship
4. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
(a) fills out all the paperwork
(b) works all the night shifts
(c) handles all the complaints
(d) empties all the bed pans
5. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) a silver locket
(b) a picture of herself
(c) her Saint Anthony necklace
(d) her lace hankerchief
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
2. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
3. Which character discovers the alcohol bottles stashed under Frederic's bed?
4. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
5. This is Frederic Henry's occupation:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
2. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
3. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
4. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
5. How might Frederic's viewpoint toward the war change after his injury?
6. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
9. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
10. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)