|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(b) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(c) She is in love with Henry.
(d) She dislikes Henry.
2. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(b) Red Cross worker
(c) telephone operator
3. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
(a) confident in their love
(b) insecure about the relationship
(c) indecisive as to whether or not to continue this relationship
4. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(d) a hankercheif from Catherine
5. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
Short Answer Questions
1. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
2. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
3. The men in the army predict the upcoming year of the war to be _________ for the Italians.
4. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
5. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
2. Describe Catherine Barkley.
3. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
4. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
5. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
6. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
7. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
8. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
9. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
10. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)