|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She dislikes Henry.
(b) She is in love with Henry.
(c) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(d) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
2. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(b) going home.
3. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) read romantic books to one another
(b) spend the night together
(c) profess their love to one another
(d) sneak out for an easy walk
4. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to finish his duty.
(b) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(c) He wants to marry Catherine.
(d) He is not afraid to fight.
5. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
(b) small pox
Short Answer Questions
1. The priest wishes to be back home in:
2. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
3. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
4. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
5. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
Short Essay Questions
1. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
2. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
3. Do you think Frederic's morale was affected by being ordered to retreat? Do you think the Italian soldiers' morale was affected? If yes, how so?
4. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
5. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
6. Describe the difference between life in the Swiss chalet and the life the couple led before coming to Switzerland.
7. What is Hemingway saying about the coldness of war with the scene of the two fleeing soldiers?
8. How has the relationship between Catherine and Frederic matured?
9. Discuss the change in Hemingway's writing style, and what does this change denote?
10. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)