|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(b) the priest
(c) Frederic Henry
(d) the major
2. Frederic is informed that an attack will take place:
(a) in two days
(b) next week
(c) the following night
(d) the following morning
3. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(b) She dislikes Henry.
(c) She is in love with Henry.
(d) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
4. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
(a) a photo
(b) a toothbrush
(c) a Bible
(d) a comb
5. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
(a) They are fair acquaintences.
(b) They have a deeply rooted friendship.
(c) They do not really know each other that well.
(d) They are rivals for Catherine's affections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frederic do until the spring?
2. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
3. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
4. This is Frederic Henry's occupation:
5. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
2. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
3. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
4. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
5. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
6. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
7. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
8. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
9. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
10. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)