|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
(a) The war would not truly be over if one side surrendered.
(b) The war needs to end at any cost.
(c) Both A and B
(d) Defeat is worse than the war.
2. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a blessing
(b) a game
(c) an inconvenience
(d) a trial
3. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States will remain neutral.
(b) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
(c) The United States does not care to be involved.
(d) The United States will declare war.
4. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) drive the ambulance
(b) write to Catherine
(c) receive new orders
(d) find food
5. What rank does Frederic Henry hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
2. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
3. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
4. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
5. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
Short Essay Questions
1. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
2. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
3. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
4. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
5. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
6. Describe Catherine Barkley.
7. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
8. Describe Ettore.
9. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
10. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)