|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
(a) right knee and foot
(c) left knee and foot
(d) right shoulder
2. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a trial
(b) a game
(c) a blessing
(d) an inconvenience
3. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
(b) He speaks lovingly of her.
(c) He speaks rudely of her.
(d) He says he has not seen her.
4. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) rest while they can
(b) dicuss names for the baby
(c) start their honeymoon
(d) pretend it is their fancy home
5. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States does not care to be involved.
(b) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
(c) The United States will remain neutral.
(d) The United States will declare war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
2. Frederic's sweet reference to the baby in Chapter 24 seems to indicate:
3. The major claims this is the religion of all thinking men:
4. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
5. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
2. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
3. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
4. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
5. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
6. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
7. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
8. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
9. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
10. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)