|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frederic do until the spring?
(a) Visits his home
(b) Works as an ambulance driver
(c) Goes on leave
(d) Is in the hospital
2. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is sad and lonely.
3. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(a) in love with him
4. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
(b) He speaks lovingly of her.
(c) He speaks rudely of her.
(d) He says he has not seen her.
5. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She dislikes Henry.
(b) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(c) She is in love with Henry.
(d) She is in love with Rinaldi.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
2. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
3. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
4. What is the time setting of this story?
5. This character informs Frederic that Catherine can not come down to see him when he tries to visit her at the hospital.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
2. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
3. Describe Ettore.
4. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
5. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
6. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
7. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
8. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
9. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
10. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)