|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) pretend it is their fancy home
(b) rest while they can
(c) start their honeymoon
(d) dicuss names for the baby
2. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) sneak out for an easy walk
(b) profess their love to one another
(c) spend the night together
(d) read romantic books to one another
3. What does Frederic do until the spring?
(a) Is in the hospital
(b) Goes on leave
(c) Works as an ambulance driver
(d) Visits his home
4. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(c) a hankercheif from Catherine
5. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to finish his duty.
(b) He wants to marry Catherine.
(c) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(d) He is not afraid to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which of the following is the priest tired?
2. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
3. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
4. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
5. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
2. Discuss how fantasy is used to postpone reality in Chapter 23.
3. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
4. What evidence is given that Catherine is approaching their relationship tentatively at this time?
5. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
6. Describe Ettore.
7. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
8. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
9. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
10. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)