|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
(a) He is insane.
(b) Frederic refuses to pay him.
(c) He dislikes Americans.
(d) He mistakenly believes Frederic is an Austrian officer.
2. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
(a) take a three-week leave.
(b) return home.
(c) be reassigned.
(d) return to the front immediately.
3. In Chapter 16, Catherine is fearful of:
(a) Frederic's dangerous surgery
(b) being sent away for lack of work
(c) the horrible wounds she encounters as a nurse
(d) her secret with Frederic being found out
4. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) profess their love to one another
(b) spend the night together
(c) sneak out for an easy walk
(d) read romantic books to one another
5. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
(a) a bottle of wine
(b) a train ticket
(c) a gun
(d) theatre tickets
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
2. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
3. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
4. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
5. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
2. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
3. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
4. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
5. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
6. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
7. Describe the differences in Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. Describe Helen Ferguson as a character.
10. What do you think Frederic would say in a letter to Catherine if he were to write one at this point? What might he describe?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)