|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Mrs. Walker
(b) Miss Van Campen
(c) Miss Ferguson
(d) Miss Barkley
2. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
(a) numb the pain of his injuries
(b) be more interesting to Catherine
(c) have more fun while in the hospital
(d) numb the effects of the war
3. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Crowell Rodgers
(b) Mr. Myers
(c) Mrs. Myers
(d) Helen Ferguson
4. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) send a note to Catherine
(b) save him a seat on a train
(c) change his train ticket
(d) purchase a gun for him
5. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's opinion of his treatment when he first arrives at the Milan hospital is:
2. The major claims this is the religion of all thinking men:
3. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
4. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
5. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
Short Essay Questions
1. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
2. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
3. Describe the setting. How would you characterize the writing style the author uses to illustrate the setting?
4. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
5. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
6. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
7. How has Frederic's attitude toward the war's resolution changed?
8. What do we learn about Frederic's attitude toward love in Chapter 11?
9. Would you agree or disagree with the following statement:Catherine Barkley is a self-assured and independent woman. Why or why not?
10. Describe Catherine Barkley.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)