|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
(a) the pressure of war
(b) Frederic's quick recovery
(c) their friends
(d) Catherine's tending to Frederic
2. What is the time setting of this story?
(a) Spring of 1917
(b) Fall of 1916
(c) Summer of 1916
(d) Spring of 1916
3. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
(a) He is wavering in his faith.
(b) He has given up on the troops.
(c) He seems to be more sure of himself.
(d) He is getting more and more upset with the tormenting.
4. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to finish his duty.
(b) He wants to marry Catherine.
(c) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(d) He is not afraid to fight.
5. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) he does not love much
(b) does not understand love
(c) always comits fully to love
(d) falls in love easily
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
2. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
3. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
4. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
5. The first horse on which Catherine and Frederic bet:
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the mood changed when Frederic returns to his camp?
2. How do you think Frederic feels about the news of Catherine being relocated?
3. Describe Ettore.
4. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
5. How is friendship portrayed in the novel so far?
6. Describe the couple's goodbye at the station.
7. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
8. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
9. Describe Frederic's attitude toward his own mortality.
10. Expand upon Question #13. Have your opinions on Frederic's relationship with alcohol been changed, confirmed and/or altered? What is ironic about Frederic's interaction with alcohol in Chapter 22?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)