|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks lovingly of her.
(b) He says he has not seen her.
(c) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
(d) He speaks rudely of her.
2. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
3. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(a) telephone operator
(d) Red Cross worker
4. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
5. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic and the priest agree that:
2. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
3. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
4. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
5. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Saint Anthony medal Catherine gives to Frederic?
2. Describe Ettore.
3. The priest describes the men as "gentler." Discuss the changes he has seen in the soldiers.
4. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
5. War takes an emotional toll on the characters. Select one of the following characters and discuss how s/he copes with the stress of war: Frederic, Catherine, Rinaldi, the men in Frederic's unit, the priest, the major.
6. Describe the character, Rinaldi.
7. Up to this point in the novel, what patterns have emerged with regard to Frederic and alcohol?
8. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
9. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
10. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)