Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
(c) a few
2. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(b) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(c) She dislikes Henry.
(d) She is in love with Henry.
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
(a) driving his ambulance
(b) doing physical therapy
(c) instructing incoming troops
(d) recovering in a villa
5. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
2. On the train, Frederic ends up sleeping:
3. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
4. At the medical facility, Frederic is diagnosed with many superficial wounds, as well as significant wounds to his:
5. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
2. Discuss Hemingway's use of irony in the scene between Frederic and the barber.
3. Summarize the discussion between Frederic and the bartender regarding news of the war.
4. Although seemingly content in his new life, what issue remains troubling to Frederic in Chapter 38?
5. When attempting to describe their feelings for one another, the couple states they are playing "games." Describe the games and offer a suggestion as to why each character acts in this manner.
6. Why does the couple relocate to Lausanne?
7. Describe the friendship between Frederic and Rinaldi.
8. Discuss the tone of the opening two chapters.
9. What challenges are posed to Frederic and Catherine in Chapter 36?
10. What does the reference to "Baby Catherine" suggest?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)