|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) send a note to Catherine
(b) change his train ticket
(c) purchase a gun for him
(d) save him a seat on a train
2. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Mrs. Walker
(b) Miss Ferguson
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Miss Gage
3. Frederic is informed that an attack will take place:
(a) in two days
(b) the following night
(c) the following morning
(d) next week
4. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) profess their love to one another
(b) spend the night together
(c) sneak out for an easy walk
(d) read romantic books to one another
5. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(c) a hankercheif from Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. The priest wishes to be back home in:
2. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
3. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
4. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
5. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine diverge from the "normal" young woman of the early twentieth century in Chapter 18?
2. Why do you think Frederic is so eager to return to the battlefield when additional time in the hospital gives him additional time with Catherine?
3. Discuss the continued symbolism of water for both Frederic and Catherine.
4. How does each couple react to the other's news in Chapter 22?
5. Do you think people secretly helping fugitives, like the man behind the counter in the cafe, were the exception or the norm at this time?
6. Should Frederic's actions at the end of the retreat be described as honorable or as cowardly?
7. Does Frederic's killing of one of the soldiers make him more or less of a leader?
8. Contrast Gino's attitude toward patriotism with Frederic's attitude.
9. How do Catherine and Frederic circumvent the border patrol?
10. Compare and contrast Frederic and Catherine's access to alone time with that of an average young adult couple today.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)