|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Frederic and Piani
(b) Bonello and Piani
(c) Frederic and Bonello
(d) Frederic and Aymo
2. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
(a) studying Swiss culture
(c) tending to their home chores
(d) taking walks and dining
3. Which statement best describes Frederic's feelings about his new mountain home?
(a) He copes with his new home, but is homesick for America.
(b) He is worried he will be found.
(c) He dislikes the Swiss weather.
(d) He is content with this lovely place.
4. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a locket from Catherine
(b) a bright sky
(c) a fresh new field
(d) the water
5. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
(a) makes a run for the river
(b) admits his guilt
(c) pleads for mercy
(d) write a final letter to Catherine
6. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(d) he dreams about the war every night.
7. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) love and life lessons
(b) life and death
(c) the war and newspapers
(d) books and death
8. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
9. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
(a) He feels their connection is waning.
(b) He enjoys time as a couple, but appreciates alone time.
(c) His life is empty when he is not with her.
(d) He is starting to feel the pressure of their relationship.
10. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
(a) People do not grow wiser, they grow more careful
(b) People gain wisdom through great care
(c) People grow more wary as they grow wiser
(d) People care about growing wise
11. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
12. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
13. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
(a) a new uniform
(b) a map
(c) a set of civilian clothes
(d) a compass
14. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) smothering their love
(b) hurrying them
(c) driving them apart
(d) frightening them
15. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
3. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
4. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
5. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)