|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
2. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
3. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(b) offer food
(c) dress as peasants to escape detection
(d) use the stars to guide them
4. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(d) hold their position
5. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
(a) good ones
6. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) hurrying them
(b) smothering their love
(c) frightening them
(d) driving them apart
7. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) enemy attacks
(b) volume of people
(c) high morale of the troops
(d) lack of food
8. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
(a) he is slowly going crazy.
(b) he is done with the army.
(c) he is ashamed of his officer status.
(d) he wants to protect himself.
9. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
10. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
(a) is ready to go home.
(b) really needs to see Catherine.
(c) is ready to be a father.
(d) is done with the army.
11. Which statement best describes Frederic's feelings about his new mountain home?
(a) He is content with this lovely place.
(b) He is worried he will be found.
(c) He copes with his new home, but is homesick for America.
(d) He dislikes the Swiss weather.
12. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
13. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
(a) He feels their connection is waning.
(b) His life is empty when he is not with her.
(c) He enjoys time as a couple, but appreciates alone time.
(d) He is starting to feel the pressure of their relationship.
14. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They turn around and walk away.
(b) They start speaking in Austrian.
(c) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(d) They are fidgeting a lot.
15. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
(a) they can take the baby back to America.
(b) the baby will be a boy.
(c) she will not die.
(d) she cannot take any more pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
2. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
4. Despite Catherine's pregnancy going well so far, her. . .
5. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)