|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a fresh new field
(b) a bright sky
(c) a locket from Catherine
(d) the water
2. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
(a) tending to their home chores
(b) taking walks and dining
(c) studying Swiss culture
3. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He has given up on the war and his county.
(b) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(c) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
(d) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
4. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
5. When Frederic emerges from the river, he. . .
(a) cuts the stars off of his jacket.
(b) sleeps for two hours.
(c) immediately thinks of Catherine.
(d) runs to a nearby village.
6. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
(a) two prisoners and two women.
(b) two married couples.
(c) two soldiers and two women.
(d) four townspeople.
7. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
8. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
9. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
10. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
(d) a burden
11. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
12. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Bonello and Piani
(b) Frederic and Piani
(c) Frederic and Aymo
(d) Frederic and Bonello
13. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) this city has nicer hotels.
(b) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
(c) the scenery is nicer.
(d) this city has a hospital.
14. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) be connected closely to family
(b) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
(c) write often to family members
(d) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
15. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
(a) the other soldier
(d) one of the women
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
2. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
3. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
4. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
5. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)