|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) life and death
(b) books and death
(c) love and life lessons
(d) the war and newspapers
2. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
3. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
4. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
(a) the baby will be a boy.
(b) she will not die.
(c) they can take the baby back to America.
(d) she cannot take any more pain.
5. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
(a) Miss Van Campen
(b) the man in the cafe
(c) Frederic's former porter and his wife
(d) Helen Ferguson
6. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
(a) Catherine lying next to him.
(b) buying a home with Catherine.
(c) escaping from Europe.
(d) playing with his child.
7. As a fugitive, Frederic decides. . .
(a) openly trust his closest friends.
(b) to remain in Milan.
(c) not to take any chances with anyone.
(d) to turn himself in.
8. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
9. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They turn around and walk away.
(b) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(c) They are fidgeting a lot.
(d) They start speaking in Austrian.
10. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
11. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
12. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) the water
(b) a bright sky
(c) a fresh new field
(d) a locket from Catherine
13. Frederic departs the train in:
14. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
15. Frederic contacts his family for:
(a) permission to marry
(b) instructions on how to get home
(d) fatherhood advice
Short Answer Questions
1. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
2. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
4. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
5. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)