|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
2. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
(b) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
(c) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(d) He has given up on the war and his county.
3. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(b) a barrier
4. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
(a) has no feeling toward fatherhood.
(b) is ecstatic about his son.
(c) feels he was born to be a father.
(d) feels afraid of the baby.
5. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
(c) the other soldier
(d) one of the women
6. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he has news on the war.
(b) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(c) when the tourist season will begin.
(d) if he has seen British nurses.
7. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
8. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
9. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
10. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(b) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
(c) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
(d) she does not believe in marriage.
11. Frederic contacts his family for:
(a) permission to marry
(b) fatherhood advice
(c) instructions on how to get home
12. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
(a) He tries to get back to her.
(b) He has a dream about her.
(c) He cries over her.
(d) He writes her many letters.
13. Despite Catherine's pregnancy going well so far, her. . .
(a) mental state is declining.
(b) concern for the coming child may foreshadow problems.
(c) love for Frederic begins to wane.
(d) body is now overtaxed.
14. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
(a) they can take the baby back to America.
(b) she will not die.
(c) she cannot take any more pain.
(d) the baby will be a boy.
15. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
(a) arrest and question them.
(b) provide them with food and wine.
(c) seek medical treatment for their wounds.
(d) insist they rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once on foot, where do the women head?
2. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
3. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
4. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
5. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)