|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
2. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
3. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) dress as peasants to escape detection
(b) offer food
(c) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(d) use the stars to guide them
4. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(a) hold their position
5. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
(a) four townspeople.
(b) two married couples.
(c) two soldiers and two women.
(d) two prisoners and two women.
6. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(d) he dreams about the war every night.
7. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) the next morning
(b) that night
(c) the next afternoon
(d) they are not coming
8. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
(a) He enjoys time as a couple, but appreciates alone time.
(b) He feels their connection is waning.
(c) He is starting to feel the pressure of their relationship.
(d) His life is empty when he is not with her.
9. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
(a) a Catholic
(b) a Protestant
(c) an atheist
(d) a socialist
10. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(b) He has given up on the war and his county.
(c) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
(d) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
11. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
(b) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
(c) write often to family members
(d) be connected closely to family
12. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
(a) a set of civilian clothes
(b) a compass
(c) a map
(d) a new uniform
13. To get to Switzerland, Frederic and Catherine have to:
(a) row all night
(b) ride two days to the border
(c) drive 40 miles on the highway
(d) drift downriver for two days
14. Frederic's son dies from:
(a) fetal distress in utero
(b) a hemorrhage
(c) inability to breathe
15. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
2. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
3. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
4. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
5. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)