|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
2. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
3. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
(b) the man was tired of the war.
(c) the man is weak.
(d) the man was too scared to continue.
4. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
(a) they are on their honeymoon.
(b) they visiting Switzerland for winter sport.
(c) they are siblings studying abroad.
(d) they are lost.
5. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he has news on the war.
(b) when the tourist season will begin.
(c) if he has seen British nurses.
(d) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
6. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
7. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) rebandage their wounds.
(c) find food and water.
(d) sleep for three hours.
8. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(d) a barrier
9. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a bright sky
(b) a fresh new field
(c) a locket from Catherine
(d) the water
10. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) enemy attacks
(b) high morale of the troops
(c) lack of food
(d) volume of people
11. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
(b) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(c) she does not believe in marriage.
(d) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
12. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
(a) He tries to get back to her.
(b) He has a dream about her.
(c) He writes her many letters.
(d) He cries over her.
13. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
14. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
(a) stay in Milan for the baby's safety.
(b) go to Venice for Catherine's medical care.
(c) return to America to be with Frederic's family.
(d) leave the country for Frederic's safety.
15. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
(a) strong current and heavy boots
(b) icy water and heavy boots
(c) heavy equipment and fatigue
(d) icy water and aching muscles
Short Answer Questions
1. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
2. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
3. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
4. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
5. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)