|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
(a) force them to be married
(b) be underweight
(c) be unhealthy
(d) come between them
2. As a fugitive, Frederic decides. . .
(a) to turn himself in.
(b) openly trust his closest friends.
(c) to remain in Milan.
(d) not to take any chances with anyone.
3. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) offer food
(b) dress as peasants to escape detection
(c) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(d) use the stars to guide them
4. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
5. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
(b) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(c) she does not believe in marriage.
(d) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
6. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
7. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
(b) medical supplies
8. Frederic's son dies from:
(b) a hemorrhage
(c) inability to breathe
(d) fetal distress in utero
9. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
(a) is ready to be a father.
(b) really needs to see Catherine.
(c) is ready to go home.
(d) is done with the army.
10. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
11. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a fresh new field
(b) a locket from Catherine
(c) a bright sky
(d) the water
12. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
13. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) sleep for three hours.
(c) rebandage their wounds.
(d) find food and water.
14. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
(a) an image
(b) a figure of speech
(c) a symbol
(d) a metaphor
15. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) deciding to return to the battlefield
(b) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(c) successfully getting his group to Udine
(d) taking his group off the main road for safety
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
2. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
3. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
4. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
5. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)