|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
(a) Count Greffi
(b) the bartender
2. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(b) hold their position
3. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
(a) Mr. Myers
(b) Helen Ferguson
(c) Edgar Saunders
(d) Ralph Simmons
4. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
(a) in jeopardy
5. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
(a) staying strong
(b) yelling at Frederic
(c) going to pieces
(d) being very alert
6. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) they are not coming
(b) the next afternoon
(c) that night
(d) the next morning
7. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He has given up on the war and his county.
(b) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
(c) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(d) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
8. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
9. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) driving them apart
(b) frightening them
(c) hurrying them
(d) smothering their love
10. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) successfully getting his group to Udine
(b) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(c) taking his group off the main road for safety
(d) deciding to return to the battlefield
11. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
(a) he is ashamed of his officer status.
(b) he is done with the army.
(c) he is slowly going crazy.
(d) he wants to protect himself.
12. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) offer food
(b) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(c) dress as peasants to escape detection
(d) use the stars to guide them
13. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(b) if he has seen British nurses.
(c) if he has news on the war.
(d) when the tourist season will begin.
14. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is exhausted and fearful.
(b) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(c) She is cheerful and optimistic.
(d) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
15. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
(a) a train
(b) a rainbow
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
2. Frederic's son dies from:
3. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
4. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
5. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)