|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) they are not coming
(b) the next afternoon
(c) the next morning
(d) that night
2. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
(a) Mr. Myers
(b) Helen Ferguson
(c) Edgar Saunders
(d) Ralph Simmons
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(b) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(c) the rear guard of the retreat
(d) his own hand
4. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
5. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(b) a friend of Catherine's.
(c) an old man as his seat companion.
(d) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
6. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
(a) one of the women
(c) the other soldier
7. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) write often to family members
(b) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
(c) be connected closely to family
(d) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
8. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) deciding to return to the battlefield
(b) taking his group off the main road for safety
(c) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(d) successfully getting his group to Udine
9. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
10. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
11. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They turn around and walk away.
(b) They start speaking in Austrian.
(c) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(d) They are fidgeting a lot.
12. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
(a) Catherine lying next to him.
(b) escaping from Europe.
(c) playing with his child.
(d) buying a home with Catherine.
13. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
(a) a burden
14. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
(a) pleads for mercy
(b) makes a run for the river
(c) admits his guilt
(d) write a final letter to Catherine
15. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he dreams about the war every night.
(d) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Frederic emerges from the river, he. . .
2. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
3. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
4. In Chapter 29, another obstacle that arises for the group is they. . .
5. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)