|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) volume of people
(b) lack of food
(c) enemy attacks
(d) high morale of the troops
2. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) be connected closely to family
(b) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
(c) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
(d) write often to family members
3. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He has given up on the war and his county.
(b) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
(c) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(d) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
4. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
(a) two months pregnant
(b) six months pregnant
(c) nine months pregnant
(d) four months pregnant
5. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
(a) she stays in bed more.
(b) she eats more.
(c) she complains more.
(d) she exercises more.
6. Frederic contacts his family for:
(a) fatherhood advice
(b) instructions on how to get home
(c) permission to marry
7. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(b) when the tourist season will begin.
(c) if he has news on the war.
(d) if he has seen British nurses.
8. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
(c) Count Greffi
9. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
10. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
11. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man was tired of the war.
(b) the man was too scared to continue.
(c) the man is weak.
(d) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
12. When Frederic emerges from the river, he. . .
(a) cuts the stars off of his jacket.
(b) sleeps for two hours.
(c) runs to a nearby village.
(d) immediately thinks of Catherine.
13. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be less adventerous
(b) would be perfect
(c) would be simpler
(d) would be less confusing
14. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
(a) one of the women
(d) the other soldier
15. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
(b) an old man as his seat companion.
(c) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(d) a friend of Catherine's.
Short Answer Questions
1. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
2. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
3. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
4. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
5. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)