|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
(a) tells Frederic he has seen Catherine
(b) threatens to turn Frederic in
(c) offers to help Frederic obtain leave papers
(d) offers Frederic a job
2. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
(a) Catherine lying next to him.
(b) buying a home with Catherine.
(c) escaping from Europe.
(d) playing with his child.
3. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
(a) People care about growing wise
(b) People grow more wary as they grow wiser
(c) People gain wisdom through great care
(d) People do not grow wiser, they grow more careful
4. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
5. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) the rear guard of the retreat
(b) his own hand
(c) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(d) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
6. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
7. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) alone in the night hours.
(b) during the baby's birth.
(c) while Frederic is at the cafe.
(d) with Frederic at her bedside.
8. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) rebandage their wounds.
(c) find food and water.
(d) sleep for three hours.
9. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
(a) yelling at Frederic
(b) going to pieces
(c) staying strong
(d) being very alert
10. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he has news on the war.
(b) if he has seen British nurses.
(c) when the tourist season will begin.
(d) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
11. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a fresh new field
(b) the water
(c) a locket from Catherine
(d) a bright sky
12. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
13. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
14. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) successfully getting his group to Udine
(b) taking his group off the main road for safety
(c) deciding to return to the battlefield
(d) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
15. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
(a) Frederic's former porter and his wife
(b) Helen Ferguson
(c) the man in the cafe
(d) Miss Van Campen
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Frederic's feelings about his new mountain home?
2. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
3. When Frederic emerges from the river, he. . .
4. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
5. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)