|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
(a) insist they rest.
(b) seek medical treatment for their wounds.
(c) provide them with food and wine.
(d) arrest and question them.
2. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(b) his own hand
(c) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(d) the rear guard of the retreat
4. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(b) successfully getting his group to Udine
(c) taking his group off the main road for safety
(d) deciding to return to the battlefield
5. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
(a) People do not grow wiser, they grow more careful
(b) People grow more wary as they grow wiser
(c) People care about growing wise
(d) People gain wisdom through great care
6. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) find food and water.
(c) rebandage their wounds.
(d) sleep for three hours.
7. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) this city has a hospital.
(b) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
(c) the scenery is nicer.
(d) this city has nicer hotels.
8. Frederic's situation in the train proves that in times of war, it helps a soldier to:
(a) be detached or uninvolved regarding loved ones
(b) talk to friends about his missed loved ones
(c) write often to family members
(d) be connected closely to family
9. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
10. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
(a) continue to argue about the subject.
(b) refuse to marry one another.
(c) live like a happily married couple.
(d) decide to get married in the spring.
11. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
(b) he dreams about the war every night.
(c) he still writes letters home about the war.
(d) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
12. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
(c) in jeopardy
13. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) use the stars to guide them
(b) offer food
(c) dress as peasants to escape detection
(d) open the umbrella so the wind can help
14. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
(c) the bartender
(d) Count Greffi
15. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
(a) the man in the cafe
(b) Frederic's former porter and his wife
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Helen Ferguson
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
2. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
3. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
4. Travel in town becomes difficult because of:
5. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)