|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
2. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
(a) really needs to see Catherine.
(b) is ready to be a father.
(c) is done with the army.
(d) is ready to go home.
3. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
(a) feels he was born to be a father.
(b) has no feeling toward fatherhood.
(c) is ecstatic about his son.
(d) feels afraid of the baby.
4. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) books and death
(b) the war and newspapers
(c) life and death
(d) love and life lessons
5. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be perfect
(b) would be simpler
(c) would be less confusing
(d) would be less adventerous
6. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
7. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) lack of food
(b) enemy attacks
(c) high morale of the troops
(d) volume of people
8. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) alone in the night hours.
(b) with Frederic at her bedside.
(c) during the baby's birth.
(d) while Frederic is at the cafe.
9. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
(a) leave the country for Frederic's safety.
(b) return to America to be with Frederic's family.
(c) stay in Milan for the baby's safety.
(d) go to Venice for Catherine's medical care.
10. Frederic contacts his family for:
(a) permission to marry
(c) fatherhood advice
(d) instructions on how to get home
11. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(d) a barrier
12. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
13. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
(a) he is ashamed of his officer status.
(b) he is slowly going crazy.
(c) he is done with the army.
(d) he wants to protect himself.
14. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
(b) She is exhausted and fearful.
(c) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(d) She is cheerful and optimistic.
15. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
(a) they are lost.
(b) they visiting Switzerland for winter sport.
(c) they are on their honeymoon.
(d) they are siblings studying abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Frederic's feelings about his new mountain home?
2. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
3. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
4. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
5. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)