|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) volume of people
(b) enemy attacks
(c) high morale of the troops
(d) lack of food
2. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
3. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
(c) good ones
4. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) frightening them
(b) hurrying them
(c) driving them apart
(d) smothering their love
5. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is exhausted and fearful.
(b) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
(c) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(d) She is cheerful and optimistic.
6. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Frederic and Piani
(b) Frederic and Bonello
(c) Frederic and Aymo
(d) Bonello and Piani
7. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(b) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(c) the rear guard of the retreat
(d) his own hand
8. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(b) They start speaking in Austrian.
(c) They are fidgeting a lot.
(d) They turn around and walk away.
9. Catherine and Frederic spend the days:
(a) taking walks and dining
(c) studying Swiss culture
(d) tending to their home chores
10. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be less adventerous
(b) would be perfect
(c) would be less confusing
(d) would be simpler
11. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(b) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
(c) she does not believe in marriage.
(d) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
12. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
(d) a car
13. Frederic's motives for joining the war are not clear in this novel. By Chapter 35, Frederic makes this statement about joining the Italian war effort.
14. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
(a) a figure of speech
(b) a symbol
(c) an image
(d) a metaphor
15. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
(a) He lectures the men on the war.
(b) He correctly reads the map to get to Udine.
(c) He teaches the men about ambulance machinery.
(d) He knows the bridge would be safe for a single man to cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
2. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
3. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
4. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
5. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)