|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not believe in marriage.
(b) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(c) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
(d) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
2. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
(a) she complains more.
(b) she eats more.
(c) she stays in bed more.
(d) she exercises more.
3. To get to Switzerland, Frederic and Catherine have to:
(a) ride two days to the border
(b) row all night
(c) drive 40 miles on the highway
(d) drift downriver for two days
4. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
(a) they are siblings studying abroad.
(b) they are on their honeymoon.
(c) they are lost.
(d) they visiting Switzerland for winter sport.
5. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
6. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
(a) a fresh new field
(b) a bright sky
(c) the water
(d) a locket from Catherine
7. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
(a) strong current and heavy boots
(b) icy water and aching muscles
(c) icy water and heavy boots
(d) heavy equipment and fatigue
8. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
(a) yelling at Frederic
(b) being very alert
(c) going to pieces
(d) staying strong
9. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(b) if he has news on the war.
(c) when the tourist season will begin.
(d) if he has seen British nurses.
10. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
(c) a car
11. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
12. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
(a) a Catholic
(b) a socialist
(c) a Protestant
(d) an atheist
13. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
14. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
(a) Helen Ferguson
(b) Ralph Simmons
(c) Mr. Myers
(d) Edgar Saunders
15. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
(a) a figure of speech
(b) an image
(c) a metaphor
(d) a symbol
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
2. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
3. Frederic and Catherine's relationship continues to be:
4. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
5. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)