|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
2. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(b) she does not believe in marriage.
(c) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
(d) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
3. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
4. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
5. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(a) a barrier
6. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
(a) provide them with food and wine.
(b) seek medical treatment for their wounds.
(c) arrest and question them.
(d) insist they rest.
7. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
(a) heavy equipment and fatigue
(b) strong current and heavy boots
(c) icy water and aching muscles
(d) icy water and heavy boots
8. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) the scenery is nicer.
(b) this city has nicer hotels.
(c) this city has a hospital.
(d) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
9. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) It is the middle of the night.
(b) It is raining.
(c) They have no umbrella.
(d) They are taking their luggage with them.
10. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
(a) a train
(d) a rainbow
11. Despite Catherine's pregnancy going well so far, her. . .
(a) concern for the coming child may foreshadow problems.
(b) body is now overtaxed.
(c) mental state is declining.
(d) love for Frederic begins to wane.
12. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
(a) People gain wisdom through great care
(b) People do not grow wiser, they grow more careful
(c) People grow more wary as they grow wiser
(d) People care about growing wise
13. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) volume of people
(b) high morale of the troops
(c) enemy attacks
(d) lack of food
14. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
(d) medical supplies
15. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
(a) be unhealthy
(b) be underweight
(c) force them to be married
(d) come between them
Short Answer Questions
1. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
2. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
3. These two men finally reach Udine:
4. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
5. When Frederic emerges from the river, he. . .
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)