|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
(a) They are constantly fighting with one another.
(b) They start speaking in Austrian.
(c) They are fidgeting a lot.
(d) They turn around and walk away.
2. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
(a) tells Frederic he has seen Catherine
(b) offers to help Frederic obtain leave papers
(c) offers Frederic a job
(d) threatens to turn Frederic in
3. While on the train, Frederic encounters. . .
(a) welcoming handshakes for serving the country.
(b) scornful looks from other soldiers.
(c) a friend of Catherine's.
(d) an old man as his seat companion.
4. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) hurrying them
(b) frightening them
(c) smothering their love
(d) driving them apart
5. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
(a) Count Greffi
(b) the bartender
6. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
(b) She is exhausted and fearful.
(c) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(d) She is cheerful and optimistic.
7. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) this city has a hospital.
(b) this city has nicer hotels.
(c) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
(d) the scenery is nicer.
8. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) that night
(b) the next afternoon
(c) the next morning
(d) they are not coming
9. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
10. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(d) a barrier
11. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Frederic and Piani
(b) Frederic and Aymo
(c) Bonello and Piani
(d) Frederic and Bonello
12. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
13. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
(a) Catherine lying next to him.
(b) escaping from Europe.
(c) playing with his child.
(d) buying a home with Catherine.
14. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
15. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) high morale of the troops
(b) volume of people
(c) lack of food
(d) enemy attacks
Short Answer Questions
1. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
2. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
3. Frederic takes a train to ______________ to find Catherine.
4. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
5. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)