|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) alone in the night hours.
(b) during the baby's birth.
(c) while Frederic is at the cafe.
(d) with Frederic at her bedside.
2. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) deciding to return to the battlefield
(b) successfully getting his group to Udine
(c) taking his group off the main road for safety
(d) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
3. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
4. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man was too scared to continue.
(b) the man is weak.
(c) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
(d) the man was tired of the war.
5. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) dress as peasants to escape detection
(b) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(c) offer food
(d) use the stars to guide them
6. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
(a) two soldiers and two women.
(b) two prisoners and two women.
(c) four townspeople.
(d) two married couples.
7. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
(a) a Protestant
(b) an atheist
(c) a socialist
(d) a Catholic
8. What positive symbol emerges again in Chapter 28?
(b) a train
(d) a rainbow
9. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
10. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
(c) a car
11. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
(a) admits his guilt
(b) makes a run for the river
(c) pleads for mercy
(d) write a final letter to Catherine
12. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
13. Catherine _________ Frederic's beard.
14. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
15. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
Short Answer Questions
1. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
2. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
3. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
4. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
5. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)