|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic borrows ____________ from his singer friend.
(a) a new uniform
(b) a set of civilian clothes
(c) a map
(d) a compass
2. Before heading for Catherine, Frederic visits:
(a) Ralph Simmons
(b) Edgar Saunders
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Mr. Myers
3. Frederic finally finds a ___________ on which to travel.
4. After the attack, the men are ordered to:
(a) hold their position
5. When Frederic returns from lunch, Catherine assures him. . .
(a) the baby will be a boy.
(b) she cannot take any more pain.
(c) they can take the baby back to America.
(d) she will not die.
6. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
7. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
(a) continue to argue about the subject.
(b) decide to get married in the spring.
(c) live like a happily married couple.
(d) refuse to marry one another.
8. Frederic's son dies from:
(b) fetal distress in utero
(c) a hemorrhage
(d) inability to breathe
9. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) they are not coming
(b) that night
(c) the next morning
(d) the next afternoon
10. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) books and death
(b) life and death
(c) the war and newspapers
(d) love and life lessons
11. When back with the main retreat, Frederic mentions he is:
(a) a Catholic
(b) a socialist
(c) an atheist
(d) a Protestant
12. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) sleep for three hours.
(b) rebandage their wounds.
(c) find food and water.
(d) discuss giving themselves up.
13. Frederic states that this commodity cannot win a war, but can certainly lose one.
14. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
(a) arrest and question them.
(b) provide them with food and wine.
(c) seek medical treatment for their wounds.
(d) insist they rest.
15. Catherine is concerned that the new baby will:
(a) force them to be married
(b) come between them
(c) be unhealthy
(d) be underweight
Short Answer Questions
1. These two men finally reach Udine:
2. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
3. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
4. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
5. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)