|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man is weak.
(b) the man was too scared to continue.
(c) the man was tired of the war.
(d) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
2. Which statement best describes Gino?
(a) He is patriotic, but realistic at the war's probable outcome.
(b) He feels the soldiers need to try harder.
(c) He has given up on the war and his county.
(d) He is patriotic and is offended at talk of losing the war.
3. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
4. Which character warns Frederic about the police coming?
(d) Count Greffi
5. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
(a) discuss giving themselves up.
(b) rebandage their wounds.
(c) sleep for three hours.
(d) find food and water.
6. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
(a) pleads for mercy
(b) write a final letter to Catherine
(c) admits his guilt
(d) makes a run for the river
7. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) deciding to return to the battlefield
(b) taking his group off the main road for safety
(c) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(d) successfully getting his group to Udine
8. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) smothering their love
(b) hurrying them
(c) frightening them
(d) driving them apart
9. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
(a) go to Venice for Catherine's medical care.
(b) return to America to be with Frederic's family.
(c) leave the country for Frederic's safety.
(d) stay in Milan for the baby's safety.
10. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
(a) He tries to get back to her.
(b) He cries over her.
(c) He writes her many letters.
(d) He has a dream about her.
11. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) volume of people
(b) lack of food
(c) high morale of the troops
(d) enemy attacks
12. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be less confusing
(b) would be less adventerous
(c) would be simpler
(d) would be perfect
13. Frederic's son dies from:
(a) a hemorrhage
(b) fetal distress in utero
(d) inability to breathe
14. During the retreat, the men stop in ________ to change the oil on the ambulances.
15. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) It is raining.
(b) They are taking their luggage with them.
(c) It is the middle of the night.
(d) They have no umbrella.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
2. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
3. At the car, what is odd about the behavior of the two soldiers that joined Frederic's group?
4. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
5. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)