|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) use the stars to guide them
(b) offer food
(c) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(d) dress as peasants to escape detection
2. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) successfully getting his group to Udine
(b) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(c) taking his group off the main road for safety
(d) deciding to return to the battlefield
3. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
(c) Count Greffi
(d) the bartender
4. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
5. Which statement best describes Frederics feelings about spending time away from Catherine?
(a) He is starting to feel the pressure of their relationship.
(b) He feels their connection is waning.
(c) His life is empty when he is not with her.
(d) He enjoys time as a couple, but appreciates alone time.
6. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) his own hand
(b) the rear guard of the retreat
(c) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(d) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
7. Frederic's son dies from:
(b) inability to breathe
(c) a hemorrhage
(d) fetal distress in utero
8. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
(b) the scenery is nicer.
(c) this city has a hospital.
(d) this city has nicer hotels.
9. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
(b) a burden
10. What is the cargo of the car in which Frederic has stowed away?
(b) medical supplies
11. At the beginning of Chapter 41, Catherine refers to her labor pains as:
(d) good ones
12. Catherine _________ Frederic's beard.
13. These are two obstacles Frederic faces while in the river.
(a) strong current and heavy boots
(b) icy water and heavy boots
(c) heavy equipment and fatigue
(d) icy water and aching muscles
14. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man is weak.
(b) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
(c) the man was tired of the war.
(d) the man was too scared to continue.
15. In Chapter 40, Hemingway's writing about Catherine's pregnancy seems to foreshadow __________ in Catherine and Frederic's future.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
2. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
3. As a fugitive, Frederic decides. . .
4. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
5. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)