|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
(a) Miss Van Campen
(b) Helen Ferguson
(c) Frederic's former porter and his wife
(d) the man in the cafe
2. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man was tired of the war.
(b) the man is weak.
(c) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
(d) the man was too scared to continue.
3. During the retreat, Frederic's group picks up. . .
(a) four townspeople.
(b) two soldiers and two women.
(c) two prisoners and two women.
(d) two married couples.
4. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
5. These two men finally reach Udine:
(a) Frederic and Bonello
(b) Frederic and Aymo
(c) Bonello and Piani
(d) Frederic and Piani
6. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) alone in the night hours.
(b) while Frederic is at the cafe.
(c) during the baby's birth.
(d) with Frederic at her bedside.
7. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
(a) six months pregnant
(b) four months pregnant
(c) two months pregnant
(d) nine months pregnant
8. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
(a) has no feeling toward fatherhood.
(b) feels afraid of the baby.
(c) is ecstatic about his son.
(d) feels he was born to be a father.
9. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
10. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
11. The man who sees Frederic depart the train:
(a) offers to help Frederic obtain leave papers
(b) offers Frederic a job
(c) tells Frederic he has seen Catherine
(d) threatens to turn Frederic in
12. To get to Switzerland, Frederic and Catherine have to:
(a) drive 40 miles on the highway
(b) drift downriver for two days
(c) ride two days to the border
(d) row all night
13. In Chapter 38, Frederic and Catherine. . .
(a) live like a happily married couple.
(b) decide to get married in the spring.
(c) refuse to marry one another.
(d) continue to argue about the subject.
14. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
15. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
(d) he dreams about the war every night.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the abandoned farmhouse, the group. . .
2. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
3. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
4. While under the tarps, Frederic imagines. . .
5. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)