|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is exhausted and fearful.
(b) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(c) She is cheerful and optimistic.
(d) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
2. This is the name of the ambulance driver Frederic relieves in Chapter 27.
3. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) offer food
(b) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(c) use the stars to guide them
(d) dress as peasants to escape detection
4. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) the rear guard of the retreat
(b) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(c) his own hand
(d) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
5. Who shoots the already wounded soldier with the purpose to kill him?
(a) the other soldier
(b) one of the women
6. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
7. After being arrested, Frederic lies to the police and tells them. . .
(a) they are siblings studying abroad.
(b) they are lost.
(c) they are on their honeymoon.
(d) they visiting Switzerland for winter sport.
8. When Frederic finally finds Catherine, Helen's immediate reaction can be described as:
9. Frederic and the Count engage in a meaningful discussion about:
(a) books and death
(b) love and life lessons
(c) the war and newspapers
(d) life and death
10. After Frederic's son is born by a Cesarean section, Frederic. . .
(a) is ecstatic about his son.
(b) feels afraid of the baby.
(c) feels he was born to be a father.
(d) has no feeling toward fatherhood.
11. How does Frederic feel about patriotism?
12. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
(a) six months pregnant
(b) nine months pregnant
(c) four months pregnant
(d) two months pregnant
13. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
(a) he wants to protect himself.
(b) he is ashamed of his officer status.
(c) he is done with the army.
(d) he is slowly going crazy.
14. As they realize the severity of the situation, the couple decide to. . .
(a) leave the country for Frederic's safety.
(b) stay in Milan for the baby's safety.
(c) return to America to be with Frederic's family.
(d) go to Venice for Catherine's medical care.
15. Catherine and Frederic describe the pregnancy as something that is:
(a) smothering their love
(b) frightening them
(c) driving them apart
(d) hurrying them
Short Answer Questions
1. The bartender offers his __________ to Frederic and Catherine for escape to Switzerland.
2. While on the train, Frederic's thoughts are:
3. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
4. Who tells Frederic that Catherine has left Milan?
5. This military situation for the Italians at this point in the novel is:
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)