|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 32, Frederic decides for sure that he. . .
(a) is ready to be a father.
(b) is ready to go home.
(c) is done with the army.
(d) really needs to see Catherine.
2. Life continues ____________ for Frederic and Catherine through the winter.
3. Frederic departs the train in:
4. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
(a) four months pregnant
(b) two months pregnant
(c) nine months pregnant
(d) six months pregnant
5. Catherine's thoughts on marriage are that. . .
(a) she does not believe in marriage.
(b) she will not get married while she is pregnant.
(c) she does not love Frederic enough to marry him.
(d) she wants to get married before the baby comes.
6. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
7. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) It is the middle of the night.
(b) They are taking their luggage with them.
(c) It is raining.
(d) They have no umbrella.
8. Frederic and Catherine obtain ________ at the border town.
(b) a car
9. Catherine is fearful that Frederic now views her as:
(a) a burden
10. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) his own hand
(b) the rear guard of the retreat
(c) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
(d) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
11. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
(b) a barrier
12. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(b) offer food
(c) dress as peasants to escape detection
(d) use the stars to guide them
13. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
14. Frederic displays leadership in Chapter 28 by:
(a) gaining more ground than the mass retreat
(b) taking his group off the main road for safety
(c) successfully getting his group to Udine
(d) deciding to return to the battlefield
15. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) the next morning
(b) they are not coming
(c) the next afternoon
(d) that night
Short Answer Questions
1. This symbol signifies Frederic's new beginning out of the army.
2. Catherine _________ Frederic's beard.
3. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
4. Hemingway's journalist writing style changes slightly in Chapter 32 to be more:
5. A change in Catherine's behavior in Chapter 40 is that. . .
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)