|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine's awareness of the severity of the situation is apparent when she comments how life _______________ if she were not pregnant:
(a) would be simpler
(b) would be perfect
(c) would be less adventerous
(d) would be less confusing
2. In Chapter 28, it is evident Frederic misses Catherine because:
(a) He cries over her.
(b) He tries to get back to her.
(c) He has a dream about her.
(d) He writes her many letters.
3. At the end of Chapter 41, Catherine dies. . .
(a) with Frederic at her bedside.
(b) alone in the night hours.
(c) during the baby's birth.
(d) while Frederic is at the cafe.
4. Which statement best describes the attitude Frederic took when he first fired at the fleeing sergeants?
5. Catherine's plan to help Frederic during their night journey is to:
(a) use the stars to guide them
(b) open the umbrella so the wind can help
(c) offer food
(d) dress as peasants to escape detection
6. When he arrives in Stresa, Frederic asks the hotel bartender. . .
(a) if he has news on the war.
(b) if he has seen British nurses.
(c) if he knows if there is room at the hotel.
(d) when the tourist season will begin.
7. When are the police expected to come for Frederic?
(a) that night
(b) the next afternoon
(c) the next morning
(d) they are not coming
8. Which statement best describes Catherine's mood as they travel?
(a) She is exhausted and fearful.
(b) She is energetic, yet pessimistic.
(c) She is cheerful and optimistic.
(d) She is cheerful, yet apprehensive.
9. Frederic and Catherine's reunion is_______ for the couple.
10. When the men arrive in Udine, the battle police. . .
(a) provide them with food and wine.
(b) arrest and question them.
(c) seek medical treatment for their wounds.
(d) insist they rest.
11. The fact that one man from Frederic's group gave himself up to the Germans as a prisoner or war tells Frederic that. . .
(a) the man was too scared to continue.
(b) the man was tired of the war.
(c) the man is weak.
(d) the man lost faith in Frederic as a leader.
12. Frederic can not fully escape the war because. . .
(a) he is concerned how friends such as Rinaldi and the priest are doing.
(b) he still writes letters home about the war.
(c) he dreams about the war every night.
(d) he reads the papers everyday to see how the war is progressing.
13. The porter knows Catherine and Frederic are not just taking a walk. Which of the following reasons does not convince the porter of this fact?
(a) It is the middle of the night.
(b) They have no umbrella.
(c) It is raining.
(d) They are taking their luggage with them.
14. Catherine and Frederic decide to move to Lausanne because. . .
(a) this city has nicer hotels.
(b) the scenery is nicer.
(c) this city has a hospital.
(d) Catherine's family is vacationing there.
15. By Chapter 40, Catherine is approximately:
(a) four months pregnant
(b) two months pregnant
(c) nine months pregnant
(d) six months pregnant
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is excellent at billiards and asks Frederic to play a game?
2. As Catherine's labor progresses and worsens, Catherine is described as:
3. When he realizes he is in trouble, Frederic:
4. Frederic and Catherine arrive in Switzerland feeling _____________.
5. Count Greffi provides Frederic with this advice about growing older.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)