|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the time setting of this story?
(a) Spring of 1917
(b) Spring of 1916
(c) Fall of 1916
(d) Summer of 1916
2. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
(b) small pox
3. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
(a) He does not think about it.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He writes to Catherine.
(d) He prays.
4. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
(a) a comb
(b) a toothbrush
(c) a photo
(d) a Bible
5. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
(d) All of the above
6. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is sad and lonely.
7. The priest wishes to be back home in:
8. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) a silver locket
(b) a picture of herself
(c) her Saint Anthony necklace
(d) her lace hankerchief
9. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
(a) a few
10. Frederic feels ______ may be worse than defeat.
11. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
(a) Love benefits everyone.
(b) Love hurts everyone in the end.
(c) Catherine and Frederic will share a great love.
(d) Love is a part of life.
12. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
(a) He is depressed, yet boistorous.
(b) He is excited and has been promoted.
(c) He is tired and depressed.
(d) He is eager to go back to battle.
13. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
(a) He tells secrets about his new girlfriend.
(b) He argues with Frederic.
(c) He loses money gambling.
(d) He speaks rudely of Catherine.
14. The first person Frederic encounters back at the front is the:
15. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
(a) a train ticket
(b) a bottle of wine
(c) a gun
(d) theatre tickets
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
2. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
3. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
5. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)