|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
2. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(b) Frederic Henry
(c) the priest
(d) the major
3. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(a) in love with him
4. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
(a) Catherine and Frederic will share a great love.
(b) Love benefits everyone.
(c) Love hurts everyone in the end.
(d) Love is a part of life.
5. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
(a) Ralph Simmons
(b) Ettore Moretti
(c) Luigi Piani
(d) Edgar Saunders
6. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
(b) All of the above
7. Frederic is informed that an attack will take place:
(a) the following morning
(b) in two days
(c) next week
(d) the following night
8. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to marry Catherine.
(b) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(c) He is not afraid to fight.
(d) He wants to finish his duty.
9. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
(b) The United States will declare war.
(c) The United States will remain neutral.
(d) The United States does not care to be involved.
10. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) he does not love much
(b) always comits fully to love
(c) does not understand love
(d) falls in love easily
11. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
(a) Frederic's friends
(b) the rain
(c) getting fired
(d) the war
12. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
(d) small pox
13. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
14. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
(c) a few
15. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
(a) be reassigned.
(b) return home.
(c) take a three-week leave.
(d) return to the front immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frederic do until the spring?
2. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
3. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
4. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
5. Frederic sends out a porter to:
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)