|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Frederic performs this task as part of his duty:
(a) inspect the trenches
(b) rotate the ambulance tires
(c) distribute ammunition to infantrymen
(d) stock the ambulance with medical supplies
2. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) dicuss names for the baby
(b) rest while they can
(c) start their honeymoon
(d) pretend it is their fancy home
3. Frederic's opinion of his treatment when he first arrives at the Milan hospital is:
4. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
5. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
6. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) purchase a gun for him
(b) save him a seat on a train
(c) change his train ticket
(d) send a note to Catherine
7. Which character discovers the alcohol bottles stashed under Frederic's bed?
(a) Helen Ferguson
(b) Miss Van Campen
(c) a porter
(d) Catherine Barkley
8. The priest wishes to be back home in:
9. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(b) The war will continue for another year.
(c) The United States will join in the war.
(d) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
10. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
(a) He marry her.
(b) He forget about her.
(c) He promises to write to her.
(d) He not say goodbye to her.
11. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
(a) light and humorous
(b) tense and humorous
(c) tense and awkward
(d) tense and melancholy
12. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
(a) All of the above
(b) Dining out
(c) Spending time together in the hospital
(d) Carriage rides
13. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
(a) Miss Gage
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Miss Ferguson
14. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(b) She dislikes Henry.
(c) She is in love with Henry.
(d) She is in love with Rinaldi.
15. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Mrs. Walker
(b) Miss Ferguson
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Miss Gage
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
2. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
3. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
4. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
5. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)