|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The men in the army predict the upcoming year of the war to be _________ for the Italians.
(a) about the same
2. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
(a) the couple being afraid of being seen at the hotel
(b) Catherine's reassignment to another hospital
(c) the reality that Frederic is leaving for battle and may not return
(d) the couple's wish to meet each other's families
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
5. On the train, Frederic ends up sleeping:
(a) in a private berth
(b) in a shared berth
(c) in his seat
(d) on the floor
6. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is in love with Henry.
(b) She dislikes Henry.
(c) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(d) She is in love with Rinaldi.
7. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(a) the priest
(b) Frederic Henry
(d) the major
8. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) have stayed the same
(b) have withered away
(c) still remain bottled up
(d) have strengthened
9. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Barkley
(d) Miss Van Campen
10. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
(a) He is bitter and is angry with Henry.
(b) He is distraught because he wanted to marry Catherine.
(c) He is relieved because he wanted to stop seeing Catherine anyway.
(d) He is bitter at first, but then feels it is not worth fighting over.
11. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
(a) Catherine and Frederic will share a great love.
(b) Love hurts everyone in the end.
(c) Love benefits everyone.
(d) Love is a part of life.
12. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) take place immediately
(b) wait three to six weeks
(c) wait three to six months
(d) wait three to six days
13. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) change his train ticket
(b) send a note to Catherine
(c) save him a seat on a train
(d) purchase a gun for him
14. When Catherine and Frederic first enter the hotel, Catherine feels:
15. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
(c) small pox
Short Answer Questions
1. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
2. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
3. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
4. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
5. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)