|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(b) a hankercheif from Catherine
2. What rank does Frederic Henry hold?
3. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
(a) Baby Catherine
(b) Baby Henry
(c) Little Catherine
(d) Mini Catherine
4. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Miss Barkley
5. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
(a) get married in a month
(b) say they were married before Frederic came to the hospital
(c) desert the army together when Frederic is recovered
(d) vacation in the mountains
6. It is __________ when Frederic and Catherine part at the train station.
7. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) an inconvenience
(b) a trial
(c) a blessing
(d) a game
8. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(a) Frederic Henry
(c) the major
(d) the priest
9. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He is sad and lonely.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is angry.
10. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) rest while they can
(b) dicuss names for the baby
(c) pretend it is their fancy home
(d) start their honeymoon
11. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
(b) indecisive as to whether or not to continue this relationship
(c) confident in their love
(d) insecure about the relationship
12. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The war will continue for another year.
(b) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(c) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(d) The United States will join in the war.
13. The priest wishes to be back home in:
14. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) save him a seat on a train
(b) purchase a gun for him
(c) send a note to Catherine
(d) change his train ticket
15. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) receive new orders
(b) find food
(c) write to Catherine
(d) drive the ambulance
Short Answer Questions
1. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
2. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
3. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
4. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
5. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)