|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
(a) Spending time together in the hospital
(b) Dining out
(c) All of the above
(d) Carriage rides
2. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) a picture of herself
(b) her lace hankerchief
(c) her Saint Anthony necklace
(d) a silver locket
3. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(c) in love with him
4. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
(b) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
(c) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
(d) He tried to kiss her.
5. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) he does not love much
(b) does not understand love
(c) falls in love easily
(d) always comits fully to love
6. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Helen Ferguson
(b) Crowell Rodgers
(c) Mrs. Myers
(d) Mr. Myers
7. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
8. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
(a) works all the night shifts
(b) handles all the complaints
(c) fills out all the paperwork
(d) empties all the bed pans
9. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
(b) the priest
10. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
(a) Miss Gage
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Ferguson
(d) Miss Van Campen
11. The situation at the race track exemplifies that Catherine and Frederic:
(a) are often seen in public together
(b) do not want to be alone together
(c) want to spend time with their friends at the races
(d) are not often seen in public together
12. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(a) telephone operator
(d) Red Cross worker
13. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
(a) a bottle of wine
(b) a train ticket
(c) theatre tickets
(d) a gun
14. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(d) a hankercheif from Catherine
15. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
(d) coffee beans
Short Answer Questions
1. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
2. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
3. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
4. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
5. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)