|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character discovers the alcohol bottles stashed under Frederic's bed?
(a) Catherine Barkley
(b) a porter
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Miss Van Campen
2. Frederic and the priest agree that:
(a) Praying is not helpful anymore.
(b) People have become, in a way, more gentle.
(c) The war will continue for many years.
(d) The men are becoming more aggressive.
3. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
4. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The war will continue for another year.
(b) The United States will join in the war.
(c) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(d) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
5. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) change his train ticket
(b) purchase a gun for him
(c) send a note to Catherine
(d) save him a seat on a train
6. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
(b) He tried to kiss her.
(c) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
(d) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
7. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
(c) the priest
8. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
(a) the pressure of war
(b) Frederic's quick recovery
(c) their friends
(d) Catherine's tending to Frederic
9. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
(b) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(c) His luggage has been misplaced.
(d) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
10. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
(a) say they were married before Frederic came to the hospital
(b) get married in a month
(c) desert the army together when Frederic is recovered
(d) vacation in the mountains
11. During Frederic's discussion with the priest regarding love, Frederic states that:
(a) does not understand love
(b) always comits fully to love
(c) falls in love easily
(d) he does not love much
12. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Miss Gage
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Mrs. Walker
13. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(d) a hankercheif from Catherine
14. This is Frederic Henry's occupation:
(b) battle police
(c) ambulance driver
(d) mess cook
15. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks lovingly of her.
(b) He says he has not seen her.
(c) He speaks rudely of her.
(d) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. The priest wishes to be back home in:
2. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
3. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
4. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
5. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)