|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
(a) light and humorous
(b) tense and melancholy
(c) tense and humorous
(d) tense and awkward
2. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Miss Barkley
3. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) still remain bottled up
(b) have strengthened
(c) have stayed the same
(d) have withered away
4. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
(a) He is depressed, yet boistorous.
(b) He is excited and has been promoted.
(c) He is eager to go back to battle.
(d) He is tired and depressed.
5. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
(a) numb the effects of the war
(b) numb the pain of his injuries
(c) have more fun while in the hospital
(d) be more interesting to Catherine
6. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
(a) He promises to write to her.
(b) He not say goodbye to her.
(c) He marry her.
(d) He forget about her.
7. The first person Frederic encounters back at the front is the:
8. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a game
(b) a blessing
(c) an inconvenience
(d) a trial
9. Catherine's continuous questions to Frederic about love and his past relationships indicate that she is:
(a) indecisive as to whether or not to continue this relationship
(c) confident in their love
(d) insecure about the relationship
10. Frederic feels ______ may be worse than defeat.
11. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He tried to kiss her.
(b) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
(c) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
(d) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
12. What is odd about Frederic and Catherine's discussion in the hotel?
(a) Frederic wants to talk about Catherine's pregnancy, but she does not want to.
(b) Both Catherine and Frederic openly discuss the pregnancy.
(c) Catherine wants to talk about her pregnancy, but Frederic refuses.
(d) The couple only discuss the politics of the war.
13. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
(a) a photo
(b) a comb
(c) a toothbrush
(d) a Bible
14. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) His luggage has been misplaced.
(b) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(c) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
(d) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
15. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
(a) be reassigned.
(b) take a three-week leave.
(c) return to the front immediately.
(d) return home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
2. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
3. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
4. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
5. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)