|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One evening while Catherine is on night duty, the couple:
(a) profess their love to one another
(b) spend the night together
(c) sneak out for an easy walk
(d) read romantic books to one another
2. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Miss Van Campen
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Gage
(d) Miss Ferguson
3. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
(a) tense and humorous
(b) tense and awkward
(c) tense and melancholy
(d) light and humorous
4. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Miss Gage
(c) Mrs. Walker
(d) Miss Van Campen
5. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
(a) recovering in a villa
(b) instructing incoming troops
(c) doing physical therapy
(d) driving his ambulance
6. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is sad and lonely.
7. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
(a) a few
8. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
9. What is the time setting of this story?
(a) Spring of 1916
(b) Fall of 1916
(c) Spring of 1917
(d) Summer of 1916
10. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
11. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Crowell Rodgers
(b) Helen Ferguson
(c) Mr. Myers
(d) Mrs. Myers
12. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
(a) Luigi Piani
(b) Ralph Simmons
(c) Edgar Saunders
(d) Ettore Moretti
13. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to marry Catherine.
(b) He is not afraid to fight.
(c) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(d) He wants to finish his duty.
14. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
(b) small pox
15. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) her lace hankerchief
(b) a silver locket
(c) her Saint Anthony necklace
(d) a picture of herself
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
2. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
3. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
4. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
5. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)