|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
(a) Miss Gage
(b) Miss Ferguson
(c) Miss Van Campen
(d) Mrs. Walker
2. What does Frederic do until the spring?
(a) Visits his home
(b) Is in the hospital
(c) Goes on leave
(d) Works as an ambulance driver
3. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States will remain neutral.
(b) The United States does not care to be involved.
(c) The United States will declare war.
(d) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
4. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(b) She is in love with Henry.
(c) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(d) She dislikes Henry.
5. In Chapter 5, Frederic performs this task as part of his duty:
(a) rotate the ambulance tires
(b) distribute ammunition to infantrymen
(c) stock the ambulance with medical supplies
(d) inspect the trenches
6. While on a walk with Catherine, Frederic purchases:
(a) a gun
(b) a bottle of wine
(c) a train ticket
(d) theatre tickets
7. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
8. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The United States will join in the war.
(b) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(c) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(d) The war will continue for another year.
9. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(b) telephone operator
(d) Red Cross worker
10. In Chapter 22, Frederic comes down with ________.
(b) small pox
11. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
(a) He promises to write to her.
(b) He marry her.
(c) He forget about her.
(d) He not say goodbye to her.
12. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
(a) He speaks rudely of her.
(b) He speaks lovingly of her.
(c) He says he has not seen her.
(d) He speaks unenthusiastically of her.
13. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
14. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) send a note to Catherine
(b) change his train ticket
(c) save him a seat on a train
(d) purchase a gun for him
15. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
(a) return to the front immediately.
(b) take a three-week leave.
(c) be reassigned.
(d) return home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederic is informed that an attack will take place:
2. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
3. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
4. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
5. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)