|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(b) The United States will join in the war.
(c) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(d) The war will continue for another year.
2. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(a) going home.
3. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
4. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(c) telephone operator
(d) Red Cross worker
5. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
6. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) send a note to Catherine
(b) purchase a gun for him
(c) change his train ticket
(d) save him a seat on a train
7. Which statement best describes the change seen in the priest in Chapter 26?
(a) He is wavering in his faith.
(b) He has given up on the troops.
(c) He is getting more and more upset with the tormenting.
(d) He seems to be more sure of himself.
8. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) have strengthened
(b) still remain bottled up
(c) have stayed the same
(d) have withered away
9. Frederic and the priest agree that:
(a) The men are becoming more aggressive.
(b) Praying is not helpful anymore.
(c) The war will continue for many years.
(d) People have become, in a way, more gentle.
10. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to finish his duty.
(b) He wants to marry Catherine.
(c) He is not afraid to fight.
(d) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
11. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She dislikes Henry.
(b) She is in love with Henry.
(c) She is in love with Rinaldi.
(d) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
12. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
(a) driving his ambulance
(b) instructing incoming troops
(c) doing physical therapy
(d) recovering in a villa
13. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
(b) coffee beans
14. The priest wishes to be back home in:
15. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
2. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
3. Frederic's sweet reference to the baby in Chapter 24 seems to indicate:
4. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
5. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)