|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(a) going home.
2. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(d) a hankercheif from Catherine
3. Which adjective best describes the goodbye between Frederic and Catherine?
4. The men in the army predict the upcoming year of the war to be _________ for the Italians.
(a) about the same
5. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) wait three to six weeks
(b) wait three to six months
(c) take place immediately
(d) wait three to six days
6. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Mrs. Walker
(b) Miss Ferguson
(c) Miss Barkley
(d) Miss Van Campen
7. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
(a) They are fair acquaintences.
(b) They do not really know each other that well.
(c) They are rivals for Catherine's affections.
(d) They have a deeply rooted friendship.
8. This epidemic killed 7,000 soldiers over the past winter.
(d) small pox
9. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
(a) Frederic's quick recovery
(b) the pressure of war
(c) Catherine's tending to Frederic
(d) their friends
10. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) her lace hankerchief
(b) a picture of herself
(c) a silver locket
(d) her Saint Anthony necklace
11. Frederic's opinion of his treatment when he first arrives at the Milan hospital is:
12. In Chapter 5, Frederic performs this task as part of his duty:
(a) rotate the ambulance tires
(b) inspect the trenches
(c) stock the ambulance with medical supplies
(d) distribute ammunition to infantrymen
13. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) receive new orders
(b) drive the ambulance
(c) find food
(d) write to Catherine
14. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States will remain neutral.
(b) The United States does not care to be involved.
(c) The United States will declare war.
(d) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
15. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He is sad and lonely.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He does not care.
Short Answer Questions
1. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
2. Frederic sends out a porter to:
3. How does Rinaldi speak of Catherine when Frederic asks if Rinaldi has seen her?
4. Before Frederic leaves for the battlefield, Catherine insists that:
5. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)