|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) still remain bottled up
(b) have stayed the same
(c) have strengthened
(d) have withered away
2. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
(a) instructing incoming troops
(b) driving his ambulance
(c) doing physical therapy
(d) recovering in a villa
3. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(d) in love with him
4. On the train, Frederic ends up sleeping:
(a) in his seat
(b) in a private berth
(c) in a shared berth
(d) on the floor
5. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) her lace hankerchief
(b) a silver locket
(c) a picture of herself
(d) her Saint Anthony necklace
6. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
(d) coffee beans
7. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
(a) He prays.
(b) He writes to Catherine.
(c) He does not think about it.
(d) He drinks.
8. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
(a) the war
(b) getting fired
(c) Frederic's friends
(d) the rain
9. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
(a) the couple being afraid of being seen at the hotel
(b) the couple's wish to meet each other's families
(c) Catherine's reassignment to another hospital
(d) the reality that Frederic is leaving for battle and may not return
10. Frederic's sweet reference to the baby in Chapter 24 seems to indicate:
(a) that Frederic has selected a name for the baby
(b) that Frederic is getting used to the idea of having a baby
(c) that Frederic is ready to marry Catherine
(d) that Frederic will desert his post and stay with Catherine
11. Frederic feels ______ may be worse than defeat.
12. Frederic and the priest agree that:
(a) The war will continue for many years.
(b) The men are becoming more aggressive.
(c) Praying is not helpful anymore.
(d) People have become, in a way, more gentle.
13. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Mr. Myers
(b) Crowell Rodgers
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Mrs. Myers
14. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
(a) a photo
(b) a toothbrush
(c) a comb
(d) a Bible
15. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
(a) She is unsure of how she feels about Henry.
(b) She dislikes Henry.
(c) She is in love with Henry.
(d) She is in love with Rinaldi.
Short Answer Questions
1. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
2. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
3. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
4. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
5. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)