|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in the hospital in Milan, Frederic and Catherine's relationship is secretly able to grow due to:
(a) Frederic's quick recovery
(b) their friends
(c) Catherine's tending to Frederic
(d) the pressure of war
2. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) write to Catherine
(b) drive the ambulance
(c) find food
(d) receive new orders
3. What is the problem Frederic encounters when he gets on the train?
(a) His ticket is for the wrong destination.
(b) His seat being saved by the porter gets taken from him.
(c) His luggage has been misplaced.
(d) He does not have enough money for his ticket.
4. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a trial
(b) a blessing
(c) an inconvenience
(d) a game
5. The head nurse, the superintendent, for the hospital is:
(a) Miss Van Campen
(b) Mrs. Walker
(c) Miss Ferguson
(d) Miss Barkley
6. Of which of the following is the priest tired?
(a) the war
(b) being away from home
(c) All of the above
(d) being disrespected
7. This character provides the tips on the horse races:
(a) Crowell Rodgers
(b) Mrs. Myers
(c) Helen Ferguson
(d) Mr. Myers
8. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Miss Ferguson
(b) Miss Van Campen
(c) Mrs. Walker
(d) Miss Gage
9. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
10. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(c) going home.
11. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(b) Red Cross worker
(d) telephone operator
12. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
(a) All of the above
13. In Chapter 19, Frederic is spending his days ________________.
(a) driving his ambulance
(b) instructing incoming troops
(c) doing physical therapy
(d) recovering in a villa
14. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
(b) He is not afraid to fight.
(c) He wants to marry Catherine.
(d) He wants to finish his duty.
15. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
(a) tense and melancholy
(b) tense and awkward
(c) tense and humorous
(d) light and humorous
Short Answer Questions
1. The tension is Chapter 23 is caused by:
2. Frederic and the priest agree that:
3. What does Frederic tell the priest he does to cope with the war?
4. Frederic is informed that this person has also been reassigned to Milan:
5. This statement best describes Catherine's feelings in Chapter 5:
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)