|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
2. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
(b) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(c) The United States will join in the war.
(d) The war will continue for another year.
3. Frederic and the priest agree that:
(a) The men are becoming more aggressive.
(b) The war will continue for many years.
(c) People have become, in a way, more gentle.
(d) Praying is not helpful anymore.
4. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
(a) Carriage rides
(b) Dining out
(c) Spending time together in the hospital
(d) All of the above
5. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
6. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) wait three to six days
(b) take place immediately
(c) wait three to six weeks
(d) wait three to six months
7. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
(a) He feels the Italian lifestyle is frivolous.
(b) He is fond of the Italians' nightlife.
(c) He abhors Italian social customs.
(d) He feels he is too timid to enjoy the Italian lifestyle.
8. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
(a) He is relieved because he wanted to stop seeing Catherine anyway.
(b) He is bitter and is angry with Henry.
(c) He is bitter at first, but then feels it is not worth fighting over.
(d) He is distraught because he wanted to marry Catherine.
9. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
(a) They have a deeply rooted friendship.
(b) They are fair acquaintences.
(c) They are rivals for Catherine's affections.
(d) They do not really know each other that well.
10. Of which of the following is the priest tired?
(a) the war
(b) being disrespected
(c) being away from home
(d) All of the above
11. The men in the army predict the upcoming year of the war to be _________ for the Italians.
(a) about the same
12. In Chapter 5, Frederic performs this task as part of his duty:
(a) distribute ammunition to infantrymen
(b) rotate the ambulance tires
(c) stock the ambulance with medical supplies
(d) inspect the trenches
13. The first horse on which Catherine and Frederic bet:
(d) is disqualified
14. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
(d) a hankercheif from Catherine
15. It is likely that Frederic is abusing alcohol so far in this novel to:
(a) have more fun while in the hospital
(b) be more interesting to Catherine
(c) numb the effects of the war
(d) numb the pain of his injuries
Short Answer Questions
1. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
2. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
3. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
4. This is a trait of Frederic's friend, Rinaldi:
5. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)