|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the barber threaten Frederic?
(a) He mistakenly believes Frederic is an Austrian officer.
(b) He is insane.
(c) Frederic refuses to pay him.
(d) He dislikes Americans.
2. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He wants to marry Catherine.
(b) He is not afraid to fight.
(c) He wants to finish his duty.
(d) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
3. Rinaldi has been keeping what item as a reminder of his friend, Frederic?
(a) a photo
(b) a comb
(c) a Bible
(d) a toothbrush
4. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
(a) Carriage rides
(b) Spending time together in the hospital
(c) All of the above
(d) Dining out
5. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(a) the priest
(b) Frederic Henry
(c) the major
6. Which of the following men does not meet up with Frederic in Chapter 19?
(a) Ralph Simmons
(b) Ettore Moretti
(c) Luigi Piani
(d) Edgar Saunders
7. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
(a) He feels he is too timid to enjoy the Italian lifestyle.
(b) He abhors Italian social customs.
(c) He feels the Italian lifestyle is frivolous.
(d) He is fond of the Italians' nightlife.
8. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
(a) Love hurts everyone in the end.
(b) Love benefits everyone.
(c) Catherine and Frederic will share a great love.
(d) Love is a part of life.
9. __________ warns Frederic and Catherine that people are growing suspicious of the couple.
(a) Mrs. Walker
(b) Miss Gage
(c) Miss Ferguson
(d) Miss Van Campen
10. These adjectives best describe the atmosphere between Catherine and Frederic.
(a) tense and humorous
(b) light and humorous
(c) tense and melancholy
(d) tense and awkward
11. The priest wishes to be back home in:
12. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) dicuss names for the baby
(b) pretend it is their fancy home
(c) rest while they can
(d) start their honeymoon
13. What negative action does Rinaldi repeat in Chapter 25?
(a) He loses money gambling.
(b) He tells secrets about his new girlfriend.
(c) He speaks rudely of Catherine.
(d) He argues with Frederic.
14. Frederic sends out a porter to:
(a) save him a seat on a train
(b) change his train ticket
(c) send a note to Catherine
(d) purchase a gun for him
15. Frederic's sweet reference to the baby in Chapter 24 seems to indicate:
(a) that Frederic is ready to marry Catherine
(b) that Frederic has selected a name for the baby
(c) that Frederic is getting used to the idea of having a baby
(d) that Frederic will desert his post and stay with Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
2. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
3. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
4. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
5. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)