|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
2. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
(a) Both A and B
(b) Defeat is worse than the war.
(c) The war needs to end at any cost.
(d) The war would not truly be over if one side surrendered.
3. This character takes the more practical approach to marriage in Chapter 18.
4. What endearing term does Frederic use to refer to the baby?
(a) Little Catherine
(b) Baby Catherine
(c) Baby Henry
(d) Mini Catherine
5. In Chapter 6, Frederic is a little fearful that Catherine is __________.
(b) in love with him
6. Catherine reveals to Frederic in Chapter 21 that she is. . .
(c) going home.
7. What is Catherine Barkley's profession?
(a) Red Cross worker
(c) telephone operator
8. The majority of the doctors in Milan feel the plan for Frederic's leg surgery should:
(a) take place immediately
(b) wait three to six weeks
(c) wait three to six days
(d) wait three to six months
9. What is the time setting of this story?
(a) Summer of 1916
(b) Spring of 1917
(c) Spring of 1916
(d) Fall of 1916
10. Frederic says he wants the surgery performed as soon as possible because:
(a) He is not afraid to fight.
(b) He wants to marry Catherine.
(c) He wants to finish his duty.
(d) He cannot wait to return to the front line.
11. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) write to Catherine
(b) receive new orders
(c) find food
(d) drive the ambulance
12. This character informs Frederic that Catherine can not come down to see him when he tries to visit her at the hospital.
(a) the head nurse
(c) a porter
13. The first horse on which Catherine and Frederic bet:
(b) is disqualified
14. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
(b) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
(c) He tried to kiss her.
(d) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
15. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
(d) coffee beans
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine is popular with the other nurses because she:
2. Which character discovers the alcohol bottles stashed under Frederic's bed?
3. Which statement best describes the relationship between Frederic and Rinaldi in Chapter 10?
4. Frederic is keeping this object hidden beneath his bed:
5. In Chapter 19, Catherine says she is afraid of ________.
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)