|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rinaldi's aggression toward the priest in Chapter 25 is "excused" by the major because of this medical condition.
2. At the start of Chapter 9, Frederic leaves his men to:
(a) find food
(b) drive the ambulance
(c) write to Catherine
(d) receive new orders
3. This adjective best describes the men in Frederic Henry's unit:
4. Frederic receives a note stating that he is to. . .
(a) return home.
(b) take a three-week leave.
(c) be reassigned.
(d) return to the front immediately.
5. In the hotel, Catherine and Frederic:
(a) rest while they can
(b) start their honeymoon
(c) pretend it is their fancy home
(d) dicuss names for the baby
6. Which of the following statements best describes the change in Rinaldi?
(a) He is eager to go back to battle.
(b) He is depressed, yet boistorous.
(c) He is tired and depressed.
(d) He is excited and has been promoted.
7. Frederic and Catherine pass the summer by:
(a) Spending time together in the hospital
(b) All of the above
(c) Carriage rides
(d) Dining out
8. Frederic and the priest agree that:
(a) Praying is not helpful anymore.
(b) The war will continue for many years.
(c) People have become, in a way, more gentle.
(d) The men are becoming more aggressive.
9. At the close of Chapter 14, it is clear that Frederic's true feelings for Catherine:
(a) have strengthened
(b) still remain bottled up
(c) have stayed the same
(d) have withered away
10. The continuous discussions of love in the book so far seems to indicate that:
(a) Love hurts everyone in the end.
(b) Love is a part of life.
(c) Love benefits everyone.
(d) Catherine and Frederic will share a great love.
11. Why is Catherine angry with Frederic in Chapter 6?
(a) He did not send a note telling her he would be away.
(b) He visited her too often and Catherine got in trouble with the head nurse.
(c) He tried to kiss her.
(d) She discovered he had visited a brothel.
12. The first horse on which Catherine and Frederic bet:
(c) is disqualified
13. This character informs Frederic that Catherine can not come down to see him when he tries to visit her at the hospital.
(a) the head nurse
(b) a porter
14. Before Frederic leaves for Milan, the men discuss whether the United States will declare war on Austria and Turkey. Frederic states:
(a) The United States does not care to be involved.
(b) The United States will remain neutral.
(c) The United States will declare war.
(d) The United States does not have the resources to declare war.
15. The priest tells Frederic that he is __________ that he has returned.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Miss Barkley reveals that she has lost her _________ in the war.
2. Frederic feels ______ may be worse than defeat.
3. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
4. One doctor asks Frederic how many Austrians he has killed, and Frederic replies that he has killed:
5. By the beginning of Chapter 14, the nurse with which Frederic seems to get along best with at the Milan hospital is:
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)