|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 9 | Book 1, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character seemingly deals with the horror of war by joking and laughter.
(a) Frederic Henry
(c) the priest
(d) the major
2. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
(a) her Saint Anthony necklace
(b) her lace hankerchief
(c) a silver locket
(d) a picture of herself
3. What does Frederic do until the spring?
(a) Goes on leave
(b) Is in the hospital
(c) Visits his home
(d) Works as an ambulance driver
4. This statement describes Frederic's outlook on Italian life:
(a) He is fond of the Italians' nightlife.
(b) He feels he is too timid to enjoy the Italian lifestyle.
(c) He abhors Italian social customs.
(d) He feels the Italian lifestyle is frivolous.
5. From Catherine's comments in Chapter 6, the reader can determine that she realizes that love is _______.
(a) a trial
(b) an inconvenience
(c) a blessing
(d) a game
Short Answer Questions
1. This soldier dies after the blast in the dugout:
2. Which statement best describes Frederic's attitude toward the war at this point in Chapter 9?
3. When Frederic is drunk, Rinaldi brings him _______________ to chew on in order to help sober him up.
4. This character informs Frederic that Catherine can not come down to see him when he tries to visit her at the hospital.
5. This statement best describes Rinaldi's reaction to Frederic spending time with Catherine.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)