|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Chapter 36.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 26, Frederic states his belief that:
(a) The war will not be over until someone surrenders.
(b) The United States will join in the war.
(c) The war will continue for another year.
(d) The Austrians are a strong opponent.
2. What is one of the biggest obstacles slowing the men during the massive retreat to Udine?
(a) high morale of the troops
(b) volume of people
(c) enemy attacks
(d) lack of food
3. Which statement describes Frederic's feelings when he realizes he can not see Catherine that evening?
(a) He is sad and lonely.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He does not care.
4. Frederic's actions toward his jacket in Chapter 31 signify. . .
(a) he wants to protect himself.
(b) he is done with the army.
(c) he is ashamed of his officer status.
(d) he is slowly going crazy.
5. In actuality, Aymo is killed by:
(a) his own hand
(b) soldiers in the German bicycle unit
(c) the rear guard of the retreat
(d) the surviving soldier of the two men they had picked up
Short Answer Questions
1. The army boots dragging Frederic down in the river is ___________ of how the army is also dragging him down.
2. Afraid of being discovered, Frederic and Catherine make a pact to:
3. Frederic proves his high level of intellect and common sense in Chapter 30 when:
4. Once again, water symbolizes __________ for Frederic.
5. Catherine gives Frederic ______________ before he leaves on his new orders.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)