Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2 Abstract
* The story takes place in Italy during the summer of 1916 and World War I.
* Frederic Henry, an American, is an ambulance driver for the Italians.
* The war has been going badly for the Italians.
* The Italians win some victories in the following year.
* Frederic socializes with friends from his unit.
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)