Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2
* The story takes place in Italy during the summer of 1916 and World War I.
* Frederic Henry, an American, is an ambulance driver for the Italians.
* The war has been going badly for the Italians.
* The Italians win some victories in the following year.
* Frederic socializes with friends from his unit.
* The men torment and tease the priest.
Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
* Frederic goes on leave.
* Frederic returns in the spring to find an enlivened town preparing to fight.
* Frederic 's roommate tells him about his new love, Miss Barkley.
* The priest is disappointed that Frederic did not travel to see his family in Abruzzi.
* Frederic goes with Rinaldi to meet with Miss. Barkley.
* Catherine tells Frederic of her late fiance.
* Rinaldi comments on the obvious attraction between Frederic and Catherine.
Book 1, Chapter 5 | Book 1, Chapter 6
* Frederic goes back to see Catherine and is informed by...
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)