Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2
• The story takes place in Italy during the summer of 1916 and World War I.
• Frederic Henry, an American, is an ambulance driver for the Italians.
• The war has been going badly for the Italians.
• The Italians win some victories in the following year.
• Frederic socializes with friends from his unit.
• The men torment and tease the priest.
Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
• Frederic goes on leave.
• Frederic returns in the spring to find an enlivened town preparing to fight.
• Frederic 's roommate tells him about his new love, Miss Barkley.
• The priest is disappointed that Frederic did not travel to see his family in Abruzzi.
• Frederic goes with Rinaldi to meet with Miss. Barkley.
• Catherine tells Frederic of her late fiance.
• Rinaldi comments on the obvious attraction between Frederic and Catherine.
Book 1, Chapter 5 | Book 1, Chapter 6
• Frederic goes back to see Catherine and is informed by...
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)