|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mama born?
2. What song does Papa sing?
3. What does Papa think about the violence in the camp?
4. What occurs exactly one year after Pearl Harbor?
5. What do the other people at the camp consider Papa to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
2. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
3. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
4. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
5. How is Jeanne's world turned upside down after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
6. What does Papa do in the barracks? How does it affect the family?
7. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
8. What happens during the December Riot?
9. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
10. What are the barracks like in the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
Essay Topic 3
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)