|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the family sees with Papa?
2. What do many Americans fear that all Japanese are doing?
3. Where does the family meet Papa?
4. The anti-American Japanese want what?
5. Where was Mama born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
2. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
3. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
4. What leads to the separation of families at Manzanar?
5. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
6. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
7. What are the barracks like in the camp?
8. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
9. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
10. Why are many people in the camp sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What happened at the reservoir shack on the night of the December Riot? Who was present? Why do you think the people present felt the way that they did? Do you think you would feel similarly if you had been there that night? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did the camps affect family life for the internees? What aspects of the camp affect Jeanne's family? How does her family change from the outside world to internment in the camps? Are they able to put the family back the way it was when they are released from the camp?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)