|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Papa think will win the war?
2. What do many Americans fear that all Japanese are doing?
3. What happens to Papa's nose?
4. What school does Papa enter?
5. Mama thinks that the condition of the barracks is no better than what _______ would sleep in.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
2. What is Papa's reunion like?
3. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
4. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
5. What happens during the December Riot?
6. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
7. What are the barracks like in the camp?
8. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
9. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
10. What is Papa's personality and character like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the camps affect family life for the internees? What aspects of the camp affect Jeanne's family? How does her family change from the outside world to internment in the camps? Are they able to put the family back the way it was when they are released from the camp?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)