|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
2. What does the reservoir crew fear?
3. Who shows his good humor and willingness to be responsible to improve things as much as possible for the family?
4. Where is the family sent?
5. What is the reservoir crew given as protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
2. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
3. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
4. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
5. What are the barracks like in the camp?
6. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
7. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
8. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
9. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
10. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)