|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family arrives at the camp, what obscures their vision of it?
2. Where is the family sent?
3. Who shows his good humor and willingness to be responsible to improve things as much as possible for the family?
4. What does Jeanne's father have that he feels guarantees his arrest?
5. What is true about Papa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papa's reunion like?
2. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
3. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
4. What are the barracks like in the camp?
5. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
6. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
7. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
8. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
9. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
10. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 3
What discrimination does Jeanne face in school after the family returns to Los Angeles? Where does she feel accepted? Where does she not feel accepted? What recurring dream does she have? Why do you think Jeanne never fulfills this dream?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)