|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Woody says that Ryan and Kiyo have to complete their task or they'll have to eat sand with what for lunch?
2. What do Jeanne and the other women go to do?
3. The anti-American Japanese want what?
4. What happens when the gossip of the camp about Papa is shared with Papa?
5. Where was Mama born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
3. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
4. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
5. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
6. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
7. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
8. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
9. Why are many people in the camp sick?
10. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)