|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jeanne when she reaches the camp?
2. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
3. Who is required to work in the camp?
4. How does the clothing given to the individuals in the camps fit them?
5. What crowds the barracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
2. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
3. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
4. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
5. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
6. What are the barracks like in the camp?
7. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
8. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
9. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
10. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)