|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the family sees with Papa?
2. What does "Inu" mean?
3. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
4. What happens to Papa's nose?
5. How long is it between the time that Jeanne's father is arrested and the next time that they see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
3. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
6. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
7. What is Papa's personality and character like?
8. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
9. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
10. How is Jeanne's world turned upside down after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)