|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the morning at the wharf?
2. The War Department issues surplus clothing from which war?
3. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
4. Why do the others think that Papa informed on the other men?
5. What draws families apart on Manzanar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
2. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
3. What are the barracks like in the camp?
4. What leads to the separation of families at Manzanar?
5. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
6. What happens during the December Riot?
7. What is Papa's reunion like?
8. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
9. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
10. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 3
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)