Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sandstorm do?
2. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
3. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
4. Heavy doses of what leave Jeanne sick?
5. What can't Papa do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. What is Papa's reunion like?
6. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
7. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
8. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
9. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
10. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
Essay Topic 1
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 2
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)