|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the family sent?
2. What helps the family get through the difficult circumstances?
3. Who has meals brought to him or her instead of eating in the mess hall?
4. Where does Papa go after leaving Japan?
5. What happens to Papa's nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
2. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
3. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
4. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
5. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
6. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
7. What is Papa's personality and character like?
8. What does Papa do in the barracks? How does it affect the family?
9. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
10. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the camps affect family life for the internees? What aspects of the camp affect Jeanne's family? How does her family change from the outside world to internment in the camps? Are they able to put the family back the way it was when they are released from the camp?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)