|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sandstorm do?
2. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
3. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
4. Heavy doses of what leave Jeanne sick?
5. What can't Papa do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. What is Papa's reunion like?
6. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
7. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
8. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
9. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
10. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
Essay Topic 1
What discrimination does Jeanne face in school after the family returns to Los Angeles? Where does she feel accepted? Where does she not feel accepted? What recurring dream does she have? Why do you think Jeanne never fulfills this dream?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,792 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)