|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Jeanne and her parents move in?
2. When the family arrives at the camp, what obscures their vision of it?
3. How long is Kiyo gone from the family barracks?
4. Papa finally leaves the barracks to do what?
5. What is surprising about the morning at the wharf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
2. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
3. What is Papa's personality and character like?
4. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
5. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
6. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
7. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
8. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
9. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
10. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of disloyalty runs through the events in the book. At which people or groups is this label directed? What effect does this have? Why do you think these people are thought to be disloyal? Is the assumption right or wrong? How do you think you would react to having this label placed on you?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)