|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Fort Lincoln, what did Papa work as?
2. What does the sandstorm do?
3. What is true about Papa?
4. How many people does the family have to fit into two units?
5. What can't Papa do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
2. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
3. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
4. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
5. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
6. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
7. What are the barracks like in the camp?
8. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
9. What happens during the December Riot?
10. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)