|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the interviewer ask Papa?
2. The camp sits at an altitude of _______.
3. What do the women use for privacy in the camps?
4. What do many Americans fear that all Japanese are doing?
5. Who reassures Mama that they can make the barracks better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
2. What are the barracks like in the camp?
3. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
4. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
5. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
6. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
7. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
8. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
9. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
10. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jeanne's father like? How did he come to the United States and what did he experience once he arrived? How to the events in the book change him?
Essay Topic 3
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)