|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The anti-American Japanese want what?
2. What does the man at the cannery shout?
3. Who punches Papa?
4. What covers the family when they wake up in their first morning at the camp?
5. What does the reservoir crew fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
2. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
3. What do the people of the camp think about this document that the government wants them to sign? Why?
4. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
5. Why are many people in the camp sick?
6. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
7. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
8. What leads to the separation of families at Manzanar?
9. What is Papa's reunion like?
10. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)