|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa think about the violence in the camp?
2. What do the other people at the camp consider Papa to be?
3. What occurs exactly one year after Pearl Harbor?
4. When does Papa return to the family?
5. The camp sits at an altitude of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
2. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
3. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
4. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
5. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
6. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
7. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
8. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
9. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
10. What is Papa's reunion like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)