Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sandstorm do?
2. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
3. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
4. Heavy doses of what leave Jeanne sick?
5. What can't Papa do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. What is Papa's reunion like?
6. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
7. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
8. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
9. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
10. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
Essay Topic 1
What happened at the reservoir shack on the night of the December Riot? Who was present? Why do you think the people present felt the way that they did? Do you think you would feel similarly if you had been there that night? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of disloyalty runs through the events in the book. At which people or groups is this label directed? What effect does this have? Why do you think these people are thought to be disloyal? Is the assumption right or wrong? How do you think you would react to having this label placed on you?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)