|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draws families apart on Manzanar?
2. What do the other people at the camp consider Papa to be?
3. What is the first thing the family sees with Papa?
4. Who punches Papa?
5. Who works on the walls with Kiyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
2. How is Jeanne's world turned upside down after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
3. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
4. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
5. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
6. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
7. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
8. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
9. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
10. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of disloyalty runs through the events in the book. At which people or groups is this label directed? What effect does this have? Why do you think these people are thought to be disloyal? Is the assumption right or wrong? How do you think you would react to having this label placed on you?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)