|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mama born?
2. What do many Americans fear that all Japanese are doing?
3. People can leave the camps and move inland if they do what?
4. What occurs exactly one year after Pearl Harbor?
5. What happens when the gossip of the camp about Papa is shared with Papa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are many people in the camp sick?
2. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
3. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
4. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
5. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
6. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
7. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
8. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
9. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
10. What happens during the December Riot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the discrimination that Japanese Americans faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor. How did Japanese Americans react to the discrimination? What effect did the discrimination have on Japanese-Americans?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)