|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the first month at Manzanar?
2. Issei means what?
3. Of what is Jeanne afraid?
4. What is contained in the oil cans that Papa has with him?
5. The interview of Wakatsuki Ko shows he is what kind of man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
2. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
3. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
4. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
5. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
6. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
7. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
8. What happens during the December Riot?
9. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
10. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 2
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)