|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
2. Who shows his good humor and willingness to be responsible to improve things as much as possible for the family?
3. What does the family make a down payment on just before Pearl Harbor?
4. Why are the Japanese held in Manzanar?
5. What does "Inu" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
2. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
3. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
4. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
5. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
6. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
7. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
8. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
9. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
10. What happens during the December Riot?
Essay Topic 1
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,021 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)