|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The interview of Wakatsuki Ko shows he is what kind of man?
2. What does Woody work as in the camp?
3. Where was Jeanne living with her family before Pearl Harbor?
4. What does the family make a down payment on just before Pearl Harbor?
5. Issei means what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
2. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
3. What happens during the December Riot?
4. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
5. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
6. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
7. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
8. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
9. What do the people of the camp think about this document that the government wants them to sign? Why?
10. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the internment camps? Dido they fulfill their purpose? Why or why not? Do you think the camps were right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
This section contains 1,845 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)