|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family arrives at the camp, what obscures their vision of it?
2. People can leave the camps and move inland if they do what?
3. Where is Wakatsuki Ko interviewed?
4. Who reassures Mama that they can make the barracks better?
5. What does Papa believe causes wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
2. What leads to the separation of families at Manzanar?
3. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
4. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
5. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
6. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
7. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
8. What are the barracks like in the camp?
9. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
10. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 2
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is Jeanne's father like? How did he come to the United States and what did he experience once he arrived? How to the events in the book change him?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)