|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Papa return to Japan?
2. What happens to Papa's nose?
3. People can leave the camps and move inland if they do what?
4. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
5. With what is Papa charged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
2. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
3. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
6. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
7. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
8. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
9. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
10. Why are many people in the camp sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jeanne's father like? How did he come to the United States and what did he experience once he arrived? How to the events in the book change him?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)