|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other people at the camp consider Papa to be?
2. What does Papa do to Mama?
3. What is the first thing the family sees with Papa?
4. What does the interviewer ask Papa?
5. What is Mama's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
2. What do the men find most disturbing and disgraceful while they are in the camp? Why?
3. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
4. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
5. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
6. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
7. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
8. Who are the only people in the camp allowed outside the night of the riot? What are they given as protection?
9. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
10. How is Jeanne's world turned upside down after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)