Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sandstorm do?
2. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
3. What does Woody have Ray and Kiyo do to improve the barracks?
4. Heavy doses of what leave Jeanne sick?
5. What can't Papa do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
2. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
5. What is Papa's reunion like?
6. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
7. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
8. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
9. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
10. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
Essay Topic 3
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)