|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jeanne and the other women go to do?
2. When was Papa born?
3. What crowds the barracks?
4. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
5. What does Papa believe causes wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
2. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
3. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
4. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
5. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
6. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
7. Why are many people in the camp sick?
8. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
9. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
10. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 3
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)