|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do Mama and Papa run away together?
2. What happens to Papa at Fort Lincoln?
3. Why do the others think that Papa informed on the other men?
4. What covers the family when they wake up in their first morning at the camp?
5. What is the most disturbing and disgraceful situation for most men held at Manzanar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
2. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
3. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
4. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
5. What makes Mama angry in the camp? Why?
6. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
7. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
8. What does Papa do in the barracks? How does it affect the family?
9. What happens during the December Riot?
10. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the discrimination that Japanese Americans faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor. How did Japanese Americans react to the discrimination? What effect did the discrimination have on Japanese-Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jeanne's father like? How did he come to the United States and what did he experience once he arrived? How to the events in the book change him?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)