|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa think about the violence in the camp?
2. What does the interviewer ask Papa?
3. Of what is Jeanne afraid?
4. What does the man at the cannery shout?
5. What word best describes the first month at Manzanar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are many people in the camp sick?
2. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
3. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
4. What leads to the separation of families at Manzanar?
5. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
6. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
7. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
8. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
9. What does Papa do when he hears the gossip about him? How does Kiyo react to Papa?
10. What does Papa think about Japan? Who does he hope will win the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 2
What happened at the reservoir shack on the night of the December Riot? Who was present? Why do you think the people present felt the way that they did? Do you think you would feel similarly if you had been there that night? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)