|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who works on the walls with Kiyo?
2. What surrounds the camp?
(a) A river
(b) Wood walls
(c) Barbed wire
3. Why does the Navy make the Japanese families move away from Terminal Island?
(a) The families aren't paying rent
(b) They are afraid that the Japanese will declare independence on the island
(c) They think it's too close to the Long Beach Navel station
(d) Some groups have threatened the families
4. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
(a) They are all dead
(b) This disowned him
(c) He doesn't like any of them.
(d) He is the black sheep of the family
5. What do Jeanne and the other women go to do?
(a) Shop at the market
(b) See off the fishing fleet
(c) Pick oranges in the orchard
(d) Wash laundry
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Kiyo gone from the family barracks?
2. What does Woody bring in to help clean?
3. What is the most disturbing and disgraceful situation for most men held at Manzanar?
4. In what year do the events of the book begin?
5. Mama thinks that the condition of the barracks is no better than what _______ would sleep in.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
2. What happens during the December Riot?
3. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
4. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
5. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
6. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
7. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
8. Why are many people in the camp sick?
9. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
10. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)