|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year do the events of the book begin?
2. Who is required to work in the camp?
(a) Men between 18 and 35
(b) Everyone over 18
(c) No one
(d) Men and women between 18 and 35
3. What does the mob cry out before the MPs use tear gas?
4. Why doesn't Papa return to Japan?
(a) He is wanted in Japan for murder
(b) He wants to move to China
(c) His law degree is the United States
(d) The size of his family
5. Papa finally leaves the barracks to do what?
(a) Join the Armed Forces
(b) Find a job in Nebraska
(c) Find Woody when he disappears
(d) Attend the meeting on the Oath
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the camp to take care of the orphans?
2. What do many people wear as they arrive in the camps?
3. What helps the family get through the difficult circumstances?
4. What does the reservoir crew fear?
5. What does Papa believe causes wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
2. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
3. What do the men find most disturbing and disgraceful while they are in the camp? Why?
4. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
5. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
6. What is Papa's personality and character like?
7. What are Jeanne's experiences in school and in the neighborhood after the family is forced to move from Ocean Park?
8. What are the camps like? Why are they in this condition?
9. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
10. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)