|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is surprising about the morning at the wharf?
(a) A whale washes up on the beach
(b) Jeanne is given an engagement ring
(c) The fishing fleet comes back
(d) Jeanne's father has a heart attack
2. Who are the only people allowed out of the camp on the night of the riot?
(a) The reservoir crew
(b) Children under five
(c) The camp officers
(d) The soldiers
3. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
(a) They are running out of money and everything will be taken care of here
(b) They will have a house to live in
(c) It offers some protection from the fear of the Caucasians
(d) They are protected from the war
4. What is true about Papa?
(a) He's not interested in making it big
(b) Mama's family loved him
(c) He never finishes anything he starts
(d) He doesn't like excuses
5. To what does Jeanne attribute her father's actions?
(a) Because his family is behind barbed wire
(b) Because he fears Mama's in love with someone else
(c) Because he wants to return to Japan
(d) Because he has to live with other Japanese
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Papa born?
2. What draws families apart on Manzanar?
3. What helps the family get through the difficult circumstances?
4. What do the soldiers fear?
5. What is the reservoir crew given as protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
2. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
3. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
4. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
5. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
6. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
7. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
8. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
9. What do the men find most disturbing and disgraceful while they are in the camp? Why?
10. What is Papa's reunion like?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)