|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Papa return to Japan?
(a) The size of his family
(b) His law degree is the United States
(c) He is wanted in Japan for murder
(d) He wants to move to China
2. What do the other people at the camp consider Papa to be?
(a) A unionist
(b) A hero
(c) A collaborator
(d) A criminal
3. Woody says that Ryan and Kiyo have to complete their task or they'll have to eat sand with what for lunch?
(d) Salad dressing
4. Who shows his good humor and willingness to be responsible to improve things as much as possible for the family?
5. What does the FBI find in many of the houses they search?
(b) Japanese flags
(c) Short wave radios
(d) Stores of oil
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does the family have to fit into two units?
2. Where was Jeanne living with her family before Pearl Harbor?
3. How much longer has Papa lived in the United States versus his interrogator?
4. In what year do the events of the book begin?
5. Who arrives at the camp to take care of the orphans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men find most disturbing and disgraceful while they are in the camp? Why?
2. Does Papa want his sons to join in the war? Why or why not?
3. How does the camp separate Jeanne's family from each other?
4. How does Mama's family feel about Papa? Why are they not happy about the relationship?
5. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
6. What do the people at Manzanar call Papa? Why?
7. What is the family's first impression of Manzanar?
8. How does the family feel about moving to Manzanar?
9. What does Papa think about the war? What does he think started the war?
10. What keeps the family going despite the circumstances that they are in at the camp?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)