|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The government requires that everyone seventeen or older signs what type of document?
(a) A non-violence pledge
(b) A loyalty oath
(c) A citizenship card
(d) A green card
2. With whom do Jeanne and her parents move in?
(a) Her cousin
(d) Her mother's employers
3. Why does Jeanne's Mom pack heavy coats for them?
(a) So they will have something to sleep on
(b) So they can hide items in the pockets
(c) She knows it can get cold in the mountains
(d) She doesn't want the buyers to get them
4. What happens when the gossip of the camp about Papa is shared with Papa?
(a) He fights with the camp head
(b) He confronts the people gossiping about him
(c) He flies into a rage
(d) He escapes from the camp under the barbed wire
5. What hurts Mama's pride?
(a) To not be able to provide for her family
(b) To not be able to shower each day
(c) To have to rely on others
(d) To be put into such a low, miserable living situation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family make a down payment on just before Pearl Harbor?
2. What does the man at the cannery shout?
3. Of what is Jeanne afraid?
4. What school does Papa enter?
5. Who does Jeanne think the internees look like in the surplus clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa's interview at Fort Lincoln reveal about him and his family relationships?
2. Why does anti-Asian sentiment increase on the West Coast?
3. What does the government want the men to sign? What does signing it mean?
4. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
5. What is Papa's family like in Japan? What is the family's history?
6. What is the greatest humiliation in the camp? How is it handled?
7. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
8. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
9. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
10. Of what is Papa accused? What does this mean for the family?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)