|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Woody work as in the camp?
2. When does Papa return to the family?
(a) December 1941
(b) March 1943
(c) September 1942
(d) August 1945
3. In what year do the events of the book begin?
4. When the family arrives at the camp, what obscures their vision of it?
(a) Blowing sand
(c) A rainstorm
(d) Their blindfolds
5. How many internment camps are there for Japanese-Americans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jeanne think the internees look like in the surplus clothing?
2. What is surprising about the morning at the wharf?
3. What does Papa do in the barracks?
4. Of what is Jeanne's father accused?
5. What word best describes the first month at Manzanar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as all the Japanese American families are forced to leave Terminal Island? How does Mama deal with this humiliating event?
2. What does Woody do to make the barracks better? Why does he do this?
3. What does Jeanne believe is behind her father's seclusion in the barracks?
4. What is the most important day in Jeanne's life? Why?
5. How does Papa leave Japan? Where does he go?
6. Who arrives at the reservoir shack? Who is fearful in the shack and who are they fearful of?
7. What is Papa's personality and character like?
8. What does Papa do after learning about Pearl Harbor?
9. How is Jeanne's world turned upside down after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
10. What work do members of the family do in the camp? Are they required to work?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)