|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe eat at the beginning of Chapter 28?
2. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
3. Whose office does Marlowe walk into at the beginning of Chapter 27?
4. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
5. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the antagonists Philip Marlowe faces in the novel: Moose Malloy, Jules Amthor, Dr. Sonderberg, and Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)