|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
2. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
3. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
4. Who does Marlowe punch in the nose at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. Who is John Wax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
2. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
3. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
4. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
5. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
6. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
7. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
8. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
9. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
10. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle's relationships with Mitch Malloy, Lindsay Marriott, Philip Marlowe, and Mr. Grayle. Do you think she loves any of them? Which man do you think she loves or wants most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)