|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
2. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
3. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
5. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
2. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
3. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
4. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
5. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
6. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
7. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
8. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
9. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
10. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)