|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
2. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
3. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
4. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
5. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
2. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
3. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
4. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
5. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
6. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
7. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
8. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
9. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
10. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)