|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
2. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
3. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
4. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
5. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
2. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
3. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
4. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
5. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
6. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
7. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
8. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
9. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
10. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)