|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls a gun on Marlowe in Chapter 39?
2. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
4. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
5. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
2. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
3. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
4. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
5. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
7. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
8. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
9. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
10. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle's relationships with Mitch Malloy, Lindsay Marriott, Philip Marlowe, and Mr. Grayle. Do you think she loves any of them? Which man do you think she loves or wants most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)