|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
2. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
3. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
4. Who owns the Belvedere Club?
5. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
2. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
3. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
4. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
5. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
6. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
7. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
8. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
9. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
10. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Philip Marlowe's relationship with Anne Riordan. Is Marlowe attracted to Anne? Is Anne attracted to Marlowe? How does the relationship help and/or hinder the solving of the murders Marlowe is investigating? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel? What do you think the author intends to convey or accomplish by including this relationship in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely takes place in Los Angeles during the 1940's. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Raymond Chandler had set the novel in the United States during the present instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)