|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
2. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
3. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
4. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
5. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
2. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
3. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
4. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
5. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
6. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
7. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
8. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
9. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
10. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three murders occur in the novel. Discuss the theme of murder in Farewell My Lovely. What are the motivations for the murders? What theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following secondary characters in the novel: Second Planting, Dr. Sonderberg, and Lindsay Marriott. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)