|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
2. Which of the following is not something that Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe find in Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
3. What does Sergeant Galbraith tell Marlowe in Chapter 33 that he thought Dr. Sonderborg was doing in his house?
4. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
5. Who is John Wax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
2. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
3. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
4. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
5. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
6. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
7. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
8. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
9. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
10. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the antagonists Philip Marlowe faces in the novel: Moose Malloy, Jules Amthor, Dr. Sonderberg, and Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following secondary characters in the novel: Second Planting, Dr. Sonderberg, and Lindsay Marriott. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)