|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
2. Whose appendix bursts in Chapter 33?
3. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
4. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
5. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
2. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
3. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
4. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
5. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
6. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
7. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
8. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
9. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
10. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three murders occur in the novel. Discuss the theme of murder in Farewell My Lovely. What are the motivations for the murders? What theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
In Farewell My Lovely, both Lindsay Marriott and Jules Amthor prey on wealthy women. Compare and contrast these two con artists. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)