|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
2. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
4. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
5. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
2. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
3. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
4. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
5. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
6. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
7. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
8. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
9. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
10. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of red herrings appear in Farewell My Lovely. Discuss at least three examples of red herrings from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Farewell My Lovely takes place in Los Angeles during the 1940's. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Raymond Chandler had set the novel in the United States during the present instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)