|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Jules Amthor?
2. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
3. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
4. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
5. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
3. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
4. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
5. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
6. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
7. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
8. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
9. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
10. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle's relationships with Mitch Malloy, Lindsay Marriott, Philip Marlowe, and Mr. Grayle. Do you think she loves any of them? Which man do you think she loves or wants most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Few people in Farewell My Lovely turn out to be who or what they initially seem. Discuss the novel's motif of hidden identities and public masques. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)