|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
2. Who owns the Belvedere Club?
3. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Jules Amthor?
5. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
2. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
3. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
4. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
5. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
6. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
7. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
8. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
9. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
10. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)