|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
2. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
4. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
5. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
2. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
3. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
4. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
5. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
6. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
7. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
8. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
9. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
10. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
In Farewell My Lovely, both Lindsay Marriott and Jules Amthor prey on wealthy women. Compare and contrast these two con artists. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)