|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Jules Amthor?
2. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
3. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
4. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
5. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)