|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
2. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
3. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
4. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
5. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Few people in Farewell My Lovely turn out to be who or what they initially seem. Discuss the novel's motif of hidden identities and public masques. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philip Marlowe's relationship with Anne Riordan. Is Marlowe attracted to Anne? Is Anne attracted to Marlowe? How does the relationship help and/or hinder the solving of the murders Marlowe is investigating? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel? What do you think the author intends to convey or accomplish by including this relationship in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)