|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
2. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
4. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
3. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
4. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
5. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
7. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
8. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
9. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
10. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subplots in the novel. Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot and how it contributes to characterization in the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Few people in Farewell My Lovely turn out to be who or what they initially seem. Discuss the novel's motif of hidden identities and public masques. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)