|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
3. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
4. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
5. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
2. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
3. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
4. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
5. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
6. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
8. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
9. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three murders occur in the novel. Discuss the theme of murder in Farewell My Lovely. What are the motivations for the murders? What theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Philip Marlowe's relationship with Anne Riordan. Is Marlowe attracted to Anne? Is Anne attracted to Marlowe? How does the relationship help and/or hinder the solving of the murders Marlowe is investigating? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel? What do you think the author intends to convey or accomplish by including this relationship in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle's relationships with Mitch Malloy, Lindsay Marriott, Philip Marlowe, and Mr. Grayle. Do you think she loves any of them? Which man do you think she loves or wants most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)