|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
2. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
3. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
4. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
5. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
3. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
4. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
5. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
6. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
7. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
8. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
9. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
10. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of red herrings appear in Farewell My Lovely. Discuss at least three examples of red herrings from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)