|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
2. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
4. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
5. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
2. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
3. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
4. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
5. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
6. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
7. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
8. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
9. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
10. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Philip Marlowe's relationship with Anne Riordan. Is Marlowe attracted to Anne? Is Anne attracted to Marlowe? How does the relationship help and/or hinder the solving of the murders Marlowe is investigating? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel? What do you think the author intends to convey or accomplish by including this relationship in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)