|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
2. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
3. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
4. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
5. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
2. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
3. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
4. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
5. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
6. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
8. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
10. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In Farewell My Lovely, both Lindsay Marriott and Jules Amthor prey on wealthy women. Compare and contrast these two con artists. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)