|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
2. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
3. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
4. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
5. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
2. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
3. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
5. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
6. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
8. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
9. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
10. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)