|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
2. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
3. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
5. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
2. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
3. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
4. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
5. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
6. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
7. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
8. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
10. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Farewell My Lovely, both Lindsay Marriott and Jules Amthor prey on wealthy women. Compare and contrast these two con artists. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)