|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
2. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
4. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
5. Where does Anne Riordan want Marlowe to go for a drink at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
3. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
4. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
5. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
6. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
7. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
8. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
9. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
10. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)