|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
2. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
3. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
4. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
5. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
2. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
3. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
4. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
5. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
6. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
7. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
8. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
9. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
10. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
In Farewell My Lovely, both Lindsay Marriott and Jules Amthor prey on wealthy women. Compare and contrast these two con artists. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)