Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
2. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
3. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
4. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
5. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
2. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
3. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
4. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
5. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
6. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
8. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
9. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
10. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Compare and contrast Velma Valento/Mrs. Grayle's relationships with Mitch Malloy, Lindsay Marriott, Philip Marlowe, and Mr. Grayle. Do you think she loves any of them? Which man do you think she loves or wants most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Three murders occur in the novel. Discuss the theme of murder in Farewell My Lovely. What are the motivations for the murders? What theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)