|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
2. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
3. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
4. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
5. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
3. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
5. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
6. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
7. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
8. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
9. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
10. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Philip Marlowe's relationship with Anne Riordan. Is Marlowe attracted to Anne? Is Anne attracted to Marlowe? How does the relationship help and/or hinder the solving of the murders Marlowe is investigating? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel? What do you think the author intends to convey or accomplish by including this relationship in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subplots in the novel. Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot and how it contributes to characterization in the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)