|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
2. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
3. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
4. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
5. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
2. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
3. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
4. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
6. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
7. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
8. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
9. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
10. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,851 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)