Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
2. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
3. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
4. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
5. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
2. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
3. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
4. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
5. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
6. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
8. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
9. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
10. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Discuss the depiction of women in Farewell My Lovely. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals, or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the 1940's world of the novel change any from what it is in the present day? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)