|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
3. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
4. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
5. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
4. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
5. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
6. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
8. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
9. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Philip Marlowe's adventures in Farewell My Lovely bring him into contact with the underworld of Los Angeles. Discuss this underworld and the men and women who inhabit it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)