|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philip Marlowe's profession?
2. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
3. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
4. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
2. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
4. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
5. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
9. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subplots in the novel. Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot and how it contributes to characterization in the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)