|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
2. Who finds Lindsay Marriott's dead body in Chapter 10?
3. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
4. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
5. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
2. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
3. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
4. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
5. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
6. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
8. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
10. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following secondary characters in the novel: Second Planting, Dr. Sonderberg, and Lindsay Marriott. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
A number of red herrings appear in Farewell My Lovely. Discuss at least three examples of red herrings from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how he depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)