|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Malloy been in prison?
2. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
3. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
4. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
5. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
2. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
3. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
4. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
5. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
8. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
10. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three female characters in Farewell My Lovely. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)