|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Malloy been in prison?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
3. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
4. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
5. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
3. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
4. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
5. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
6. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
7. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
8. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
9. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
10. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following police characters in the story: Lieutenant Nulty, Lieutenant Randall, Sergeant Galbraith, Captain Blane, and Chief Wax. What kind of relationship does Philip Marlowe have with each policeman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)