|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
2. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
3. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
4. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
5. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
3. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
4. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
5. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
6. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
7. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
8. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
9. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
10. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of African American characters and the concept of racism in the novel Farewell My Lovely. What stereotypes do you see in the novel's depiction of minority characters? Is the depiction appropriate for the 1940's era in which the novel is set? How does the depiction of the Indian character, Second Planting, compare with the depiction of African American characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell My Lovely contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
A number of red herrings appear in Farewell My Lovely. Discuss at least three examples of red herrings from the novel.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)