|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
2. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
4. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
5. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
3. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
4. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
5. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
6. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
7. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
9. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
10. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in Farewell My Lovely. Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Raymond Chandler uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think he is trying to achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Philip Marlowe and the elements that make him a typical hard-boiled detective fiction protagonist. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Farewell My Lovely. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)