|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
2. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
(a) There is no connection as the men don't know each other.
(b) Both Amthor and Sonderborg work for Laird Brunette.
(c) Amthor works for Sonderborg.
(d) Sonderborg works for Amthor.
3. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Mrs. Morrison.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Moose Malloy.
4. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Amthor.
(d) Second Planting.
5. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
(a) Search for Moose Malloy.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Become a movie actor.
(d) Study martial arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sergeant Galbraith?
2. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
3. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
4. Who shoots Moose Malloy in Chapter 39?
5. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
2. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
3. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
4. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
5. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
6. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
7. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
8. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
9. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
10. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)