|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
(b) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
(c) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
(d) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
2. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Jules Amthor.
3. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Chief John Wax.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Laird Burnette.
4. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
(a) In an L.A. hospital.
(b) Singing on Laird Burnette's casino boats.
(c) Singing in a Baltimore night club.
(d) In a New York mental institution.
5. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
(a) There are needle marks on his arm.
(b) His head aches, and there's a big knot on his forehead.
(c) He has had a similar nervous breakdown before.
(d) He finds an empty whiskey bottle in his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
2. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
4. In Chapter 27, to whose home does Marlowe walk on foot?
5. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
2. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
3. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
4. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
5. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
6. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
7. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
8. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
9. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
10. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)