|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
(a) Both Amthor and Sonderborg work for Laird Brunette.
(b) Amthor works for Sonderborg.
(c) There is no connection as the men don't know each other.
(d) Sonderborg works for Amthor.
2. Who owns the Belvedere Club?
(a) Laird Burnette.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor.
3. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) A taxi stand.
(b) His apartment.
(c) The police station.
(d) His office.
4. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
(a) Moose Malloy's buddies.
(b) Bay City policemen.
(d) Amthor's security guards.
5. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) Chief John Wax.
(b) Laird Burnette.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Captain Blane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
2. What is the Montecito?
3. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
4. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
5. In Chapter 32, with whom does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to get even?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
2. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
3. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
4. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
5. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
6. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
7. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
8. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
9. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
10. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)