|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(b) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(d) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
2. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) On a bookcase shelf.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
(d) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
3. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) On vacation in Mexico.
(b) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In New York investigating a case.
4. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
(a) Mrs. Morrison breaks into the house for them.
(b) Jessie Florian admits them.
(c) Mrs. Morrison lends them her key.
(d) They break in using Lieutenant Randall's knife.
5. Who owns the Belvedere Club?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Laird Burnette.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
2. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
4. Who is John Wax?
5. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
2. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
3. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
4. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
5. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
6. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
7. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
8. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
9. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
10. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)