|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
(a) A bingo hall.
(b) The Royal Crown.
(c) The Belvedere Club.
2. Whose appendix bursts in Chapter 33?
(a) Captain Blane's.
(b) Moose Malloy's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) It's painted gray and blue.
(b) The attendants wear white coats and mention strait-jackets.
(c) There are bars on the windows.
(d) Marlowe is locked in his room.
4. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Sergeant Galbraith.
5. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
(a) Study martial arts.
(b) Search for Moose Malloy.
(c) Take a bath.
(d) Become a movie actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe eat at the beginning of Chapter 28?
2. Who accompanies Marlowe when he visits Mrs. Morrison in Chapter 30?
3. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
4. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
5. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
2. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
3. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
4. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
5. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
6. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
7. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
8. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
9. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
10. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)