|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) A quarter.
(d) One dollar.
2. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Chief Wax.
(d) Jessie Florian.
3. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Dr. Sonderborg.
(c) Second Planting.
(d) Jules Amthor.
4. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) In her apartment.
(d) At his apartment.
5. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
(a) Captain Blane.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Sergeant Galbraith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Montecito?
2. Who turns out to be Little Velma in Chapter 39?
3. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
4. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
5. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
2. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
3. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
4. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
5. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
6. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
7. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
8. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
9. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
10. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)