|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
(b) She marries Moose Malloy.
(c) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
(d) She becomes a famous singer.
2. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
(a) He has lost his mind.
(b) He has been drugged.
(c) He drank too much whiskey at Amthor's, and he's drunk.
(d) He has suffered a concussion.
3. What is the Montecito?
(a) One of Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
(b) A Bay City museum.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's estate.
(d) The Grayle mansion.
4. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) His apartment.
(b) His office.
(c) The police station.
(d) A taxi stand.
5. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Moose Malloy's activities.
(b) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be Little Velma in Chapter 39?
2. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
3. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
4. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
5. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
3. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
4. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
5. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
6. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
7. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
8. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
9. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
10. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)