|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose appendix bursts in Chapter 33?
(a) Captain Blane's.
(b) Moose Malloy's.
(c) Anne Riordan's.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
(a) In his attendant's pockets.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) In the drawer of his night stand.
(d) In a wall safe in his room.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At the Montecito.
(b) At Marlowe's office.
(c) At the Royal Crown.
(d) At Marlowe's apartment.
4. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
(b) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
(c) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
(d) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
5. What nickname does Marlowe give the big man escorting him out of Amthor's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
2. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
4. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
5. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
2. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
3. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
4. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
5. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
6. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
7. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
8. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
9. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
10. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)