|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) Marlowe is locked in his room.
(b) It's painted gray and blue.
(c) There are bars on the windows.
(d) The attendants wear white coats and mention strait-jackets.
2. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At his apartment.
(d) In her apartment.
3. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
4. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's beaten to death.
(b) She's shot.
(c) She's poisoned.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
5. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
(a) Both Amthor and Sonderborg work for Laird Brunette.
(b) There is no connection as the men don't know each other.
(c) Sonderborg works for Amthor.
(d) Amthor works for Sonderborg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Jules Amthor?
2. Who owns the Belvedere Club?
3. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
4. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
5. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
2. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
3. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
4. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
5. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
6. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
7. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
8. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
9. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
10. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)