|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
(a) Marlowe's apartment.
(b) Mr. Grayle's library.
(c) Marlowe's office.
(d) Lieutenant Randall's office.
2. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) In her apartment.
(c) At his apartment.
(d) At a hotel.
3. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(b) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
(c) A jade panther.
(d) A stuffed owl.
4. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
(a) In an L.A. hospital.
(b) Singing on Laird Burnette's casino boats.
(c) In a New York mental institution.
(d) Singing in a Baltimore night club.
5. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Lieutenant Maxwell.
(c) Sergeant Joseph.
(d) Lieutenant Davis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
2. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
3. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
4. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
5. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
2. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
3. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
4. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
5. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
6. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
7. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
8. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
9. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
10. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)