|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
2. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) On vacation in Mexico.
(c) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(d) In New York investigating a case.
3. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) A dollar and ten cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Eighty-five cents.
4. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
5. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 23, how many people are with him?
2. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
4. What does Sergeant Galbraith tell Marlowe in Chapter 33 that he thought Dr. Sonderborg was doing in his house?
5. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
2. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
3. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
4. In Chapter 41, why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle has done her much-older husband a favor by dying the way she does?
5. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
6. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
7. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
8. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
9. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
10. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)