|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Chief Wax.
2. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Mr. Grayle.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Moose Malloy.
3. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
(a) Study martial arts.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Become a movie actor.
(d) Search for Moose Malloy.
4. Who pulls a gun on Marlowe in Chapter 39?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
(b) Violet eyes.
(c) Skin soft as silk.
(d) Short black hair and tanned skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
2. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
3. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
4. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 23, how many people are with him?
5. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
2. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
3. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
4. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
5. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
7. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
8. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
9. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
10. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)