|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At Marlowe's apartment.
(b) At Marlowe's office.
(c) At the Royal Crown.
(d) At the Montecito.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
(a) In a wall safe in his room.
(b) In his attendant's pockets.
(c) In the drawer of his night stand.
(d) Under his mattress.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
(a) Roulette wheels.
(b) Dancing girls.
(c) A bar and some stools.
(d) A Faro table.
4. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
(a) They break in using Lieutenant Randall's knife.
(b) Jessie Florian admits them.
(c) Mrs. Morrison lends them her key.
(d) Mrs. Morrison breaks into the house for them.
5. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
2. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
4. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
2. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
3. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
4. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
5. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
6. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
7. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
8. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
9. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
10. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)