|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(c) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
2. Who does Marlowe punch in the nose at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Mrs. Amthor.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Second Planting.
3. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Five hours.
(d) A week.
5. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
(a) In the Grayle mansion.
(b) On the Montecito.
(c) In Jules Amthor's house.
(d) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
2. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
3. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
4. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
2. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
3. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
4. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
5. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
6. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
7. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
8. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
9. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
10. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)