|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(d) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
2. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Short black hair and tanned skin.
(b) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
(c) Violet eyes.
(d) Skin soft as silk.
4. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) Captain Blane.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Chief John Wax.
(d) Laird Burnette.
5. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(d) Moose Malloy's activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
2. Who is John Wax?
3. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
4. How does Marlowe find Moose Malloy at the beginning of Chapter 39?
5. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
2. What evidence implicates Moose Malloy in Jessie Florian's murder?
3. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
4. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
5. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
6. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
7. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
8. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
9. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
10. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)