|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She marries Moose Malloy.
(b) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
(c) She becomes a famous singer.
(d) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
2. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
3. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
(a) Lieutenant Randall.
(b) Sergeant Galbraith.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
4. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(c) Officer Olson.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
5. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) Laird Brunette.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
2. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
3. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
4. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
5. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
2. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
3. In Chapter 36, what information does Red give Marlowe about Laird Burnette, and what is the significance of the information to Marlowe's investigation?
4. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
5. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
6. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
7. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
8. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
9. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
10. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)