|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Wax?
(a) The New York police chief.
(b) The mayor of Bay City.
(c) The LA police commissioner.
(d) The Bay City police chief.
2. What is the Montecito?
(a) The Grayle mansion.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's estate.
(c) A Bay City museum.
(d) One of Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
3. Who does Marlowe punch in the nose at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Second Planting.
(b) Mrs. Amthor.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Jessie Florian.
4. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
(a) He and Marlowe disguise themselves as waiters.
(b) Through a ventilator shaft with the grating removed.
(c) He and Marlowe overpower the guards to get inside.
(d) By bribing one of the bouncers to admit Marlowe.
5. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(d) Officer Olson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
3. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
4. Who shoots Moose Malloy in Chapter 39?
5. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
2. In Chapter 25, what evidence indicates to Marlowe that he has been drugged?
3. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
4. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
5. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
6. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
7. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
8. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
9. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
10. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)