|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
(a) The Lindsay Marriott murder investigation.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) The temptation of Mrs. Grayle.
(d) The search for Moose Malloy.
2. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Lieutenant Randall.
3. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(d) Officer Olson.
4. What nickname does Marlowe give the big man escorting him out of Amthor's house?
5. Who turns out to be Little Velma in Chapter 39?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Mrs. Morrison.
(c) Mrs. Amthor.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
2. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
3. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
4. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
5. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
2. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
3. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
4. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
5. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
6. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
7. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
8. In what ways is Marlowe's relationship with Lieutenant Randall a successful collaboration with the police?
9. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
10. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)