|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Skin soft as silk.
(b) Violet eyes.
(c) Short black hair and tanned skin.
(d) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
2. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
(a) Hides criminals wanted by the police.
(b) Prints counterfeit money.
(c) Changes criminals' faces with plastic surgery.
(d) Holds kidnap victims for ransom.
3. Who is Sergeant Galbraith?
(a) A cop investigating Jessie Florian's murder.
(b) Jules Amthor's brother.
(c) An army officer who knows Moose Malloy.
(d) The Bay City cop who commits Marlowe to the sanitarium.
4. In Chapter 34, why does Marlowe approach the hot dog vendor?
(a) For information about Moose Malloy.
(b) For information about Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
(c) To buy a couple of hot dogs.
(d) For information about Little Velma.
5. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
(b) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
(c) On a bookcase shelf.
(d) Under his mattress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
2. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
3. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
4. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
5. Who pulls Marlowe's own gun on Marlowe in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
2. Explain the lie in which Mrs. Morrison is caught in Chapter 30 and how that lie affects her credibility.
3. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
4. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
5. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
6. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
7. What does the fact that the two rough-looking characters tending to Marlowe in Chapter 23 and 24 are policeman indicate about the Bay City police force?
8. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
9. In Chapter 37, Red asks more than once if he may accompany Marlowe onto the Montecito, but Marlowe says that he prefers to do this alone. Discuss another example of Marlowe's desire to do things on his own and remain a loner in the novel.
10. Who does Marlowe see reading a newspaper in Chapter 26, and what does this person's presence indicate about Amthor and the two policemen who escorted Marlowe out of Amthor's house?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)