|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 27, to whose home does Marlowe walk on foot?
(a) Anne Riordan's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's.
(d) Jessie Florian's.
2. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Captain Blane.
3. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Eighty-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) A dollar and ten cents.
4. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
(a) Mr. Grayle's library.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's office.
(c) Marlowe's apartment.
(d) Marlowe's office.
5. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
(a) He starts a fire and escapes when firemen come to free him.
(b) He climbs out the window and goes down the fire escape.
(c) He dons a white coat and pretends he's a doctor to escape.
(d) He ambushes an attendant and steals a set of keys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
2. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
3. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
4. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
5. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
2. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
3. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
4. What does the fact that Marlowe goes to Anne Riordan's home after he escapes form Dr. Sonderborg's sanitarium indicate about his relationship with Anne?
5. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
6. Discuss Marlowe's meeting with Chief Wax in Chapter 32 and what it indicates about both the chief and the Bay City police department.
7. Explain how Officer Olson is a red herring in Chapter 35.
8. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
9. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
10. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)