|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
(a) Officer Olson of the Bay City police force.
(b) One of Laird Burnette's thugs.
(c) One of Moose Malloy's friends.
(d) One of Jules Amthor's thugs.
2. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
(a) One dollar.
(b) A dollar and ten cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Eighty-five cents.
3. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
(a) Moose Malloy's corpse.
(b) A cache of drugs and guns.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's stolen jade necklace.
(d) The house is locked up and empty, and the doctor is gone.
4. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) Fifty dollars for helping him solve his case.
(b) A proposal of marriage.
(c) An interview for her newspaper.
(d) A kiss.
5. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Eighty dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
2. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
3. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
4. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
5. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Red manages to get Marlowe onto the Montecito in Chapter 37.
2. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
3. Discuss Marlowe's encounter with Dr. Sonderborg in Chapter 27 and what it indicates about Dr. Sonderborg's legitimacy as a physician.
4. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
5. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
6. What evidence is there in Chapter 21 that Jules Amthor is a fraud?
7. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
8. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
9. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
10. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)