|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Lindsay Marriott.
2. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(b) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(c) His secretary, Cassandra.
(d) His bookie, Louis.
3. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(b) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(c) He breaks in through an open window.
(d) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
4. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Lying on the ground.
(b) On Mrs. Grayle's sofa.
(c) In jail.
(d) At the airport.
5. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
(a) Old letters Moose Malloy sent Velma from prison.
(b) Bribe money.
(c) Old newspaper articles about Malloy's bank robbery.
(d) Pictures of people who used to work at Florian's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
2. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
3. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
5. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
2. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
3. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
4. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
5. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
6. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
7. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
9. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
10. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)