|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The police chief's office.
(b) The District Attorney's office.
(c) The IRS office.
(d) The governor's office.
2. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Grayle's.
(b) His own as he regains consciousness.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty's.
3. What does Anne Riordan do for a living?
(a) She is a kindergarten teacher.
(b) She's an opera singer.
(c) She's a paleontologist.
(d) She writes feature articles.
4. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Belevedere Club.
(b) Marlowe's office.
(c) The Hotel Sans Souci.
5. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The person's bad smell.
(b) The revolver in the person's hand.
(c) The person's black eye.
(d) The person's bloody face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
2. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
4. Where does Anne Riordan want Marlowe to go for a drink at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
3. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
4. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
5. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
8. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
9. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
10. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)