|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
(b) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
(c) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
(d) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
2. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
(b) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(c) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
(d) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
3. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(b) The society editor of The Chronicle.
(c) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
(d) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
4. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The District Attorney's office.
(b) The police chief's office.
(c) The IRS office.
(d) The governor's office.
5. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(a) Coded messages.
(c) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
(d) His own business card.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
2. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
3. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
4. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
2. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
3. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
4. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
5. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
6. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
7. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
8. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
9. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
10. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)