|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
(a) Black coffee.
(c) A pint of bourbon.
(d) Apple juice.
2. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
3. For whom is Moose Malloy searching in Chapter 1?
(a) His wife Susan.
(b) His mother.
(c) His friend James.
(d) His former girlfriend, Little Velma.
4. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
5. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The governor's office.
(b) The District Attorney's office.
(c) The IRS office.
(d) The police chief's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
2. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
3. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
5. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
3. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
4. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
6. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
7. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
8. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
9. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
10. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)