|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 12, who tells Marlowe to leave Marriott's murder investigation to the police?
(a) Lieutenant Randall.
(b) Chief Wax.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
2. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(b) A night club patron.
(c) The night club's owner.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
3. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(b) He breaks in through an open window.
(c) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(d) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
4. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
(a) The woman's jeweler.
(b) The police or the woman's insurance company.
(c) The woman's attorney.
(d) The woman's wealthy husband.
5. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Manager of the local bank.
(b) Editor of The Chronicle.
(c) Chief of the Bay City police.
(d) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
2. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
4. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
2. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
3. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
4. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
5. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
6. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
7. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
8. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
9. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
10. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)