|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
(c) Platinum blonde.
2. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
3. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) His bookie, Louis.
(b) His secretary, Cassandra.
(c) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(d) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
4. Which of the following is not something that Marlowe discovers is missing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) The money from his inside coat pocket.
(b) The car, which has been moved to a new location.
(c) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) His watch.
5. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The governor's office.
(b) The IRS office.
(c) The District Attorney's office.
(d) The police chief's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
2. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
4. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
5. How old is Anne Riordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What is Raymond Chandler saying about American literature through Marlowe's references to Hemingway in Chapter 24?
3. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
4. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
5. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
6. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
7. Why does Marlowe leave a message for Moose Malloy with Laird Brunette in Chapter 38?
8. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
9. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)