|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) On her front porch in a rocker.
(b) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(c) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(d) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
2. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(b) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(c) His secretary, Cassandra.
(d) His bookie, Louis.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Anne Riordan's.
(b) Mr. Grayle's.
(c) Lieutenant Randall's.
(d) Jules Amthor's.
4. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
5. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) A shabby rust-red rug.
(b) Dirty net curtains.
(c) Half-dusted furniture.
(d) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
2. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
4. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
5. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
3. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
4. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
6. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
8. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
10. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)