|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
(a) A letter with Velma's current address on it.
(b) A photo of a woman Marlowe believes is Velma Valento.
(c) A letter revealing who framed Malloy for the bank robbery.
(d) The gun Malloy used to shoot Mr. Montgomery.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
(b) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
(c) A tall blond man.
(d) A fat man with curly hair.
3. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
(a) Poor job performance.
(b) Perpetual tardiness.
4. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The District Attorney's office.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The police chief's office.
(d) The IRS office.
5. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) A night club patron.
(b) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(c) The night club's owner.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
2. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
3. To what place do Marlowe and Marriott go to meet the thieves in Chapter 9?
4. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
5. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
2. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
3. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
4. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
6. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
8. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
9. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
10. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)