|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Lieutenant Randall's.
(b) Mr. Grayle's.
(c) Anne Riordan's.
(d) Jules Amthor's.
2. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A gun.
(b) An antique sword.
(c) A knife.
(d) A syringe filled with poison.
3. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
(d) Platinum blonde.
4. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A criminal defense attorney.
(b) A police captain.
(c) A recently released convict.
(d) A professional basketball player.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
(b) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
(c) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
(d) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
2. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
3. Where does Anne Riordan want Marlowe to go for a drink at the end of Chapter 11?
4. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
5. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
2. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
3. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
4. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
5. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
6. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
8. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
9. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)