|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A clown costume.
(c) A ballerina costume.
(d) An angel costume.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
(a) He wants to hire Marlowe for a job.
(b) He warns Marlowe to stop asking questions about Velma.
(c) He wants to invite Marlowe to dinner.
(d) He tells Marlowe he knows where Velma and Malloy are.
3. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
4. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A green sofa.
(b) A large cabinet radio.
(c) A dining room table.
(d) A bed.
5. How old is Anne Riordan?
(c) Thirty- five.
(d) Twenty- eight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
2. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
4. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
5. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
3. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
4. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
5. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
6. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
7. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
8. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
9. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
10. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)