|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(a) With sugar only.
(c) With sugar and cream.
(d) With cream only.
2. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The IRS office.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The District Attorney's office.
(d) The police chief's office.
3. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
(a) A letter with Velma's current address on it.
(b) The gun Malloy used to shoot Mr. Montgomery.
(c) A letter revealing who framed Malloy for the bank robbery.
(d) A photo of a woman Marlowe believes is Velma Valento.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) A tall blond man.
(b) A fat man with curly hair.
(c) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
(d) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
5. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) In his own coat pocket.
(b) In his office.
(c) In Marriott's pockets.
(d) In Marriott's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
2. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
4. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
5. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
3. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
6. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
7. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
8. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
9. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
10. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)