|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Jessie Florian.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Moose Malloy.
2. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Belevedere Club.
(b) Marlowe's office.
(c) The Hotel Sans Souci.
3. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
(a) He is attacked by a doberman.
(b) He is bitten by a poisonous snake.
(c) He trips and sprains his ankle.
(d) Someone ambushes him from behind and knocks him out.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Anne Riordan's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Jules Amthor's.
(d) Mr. Grayle's.
5. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his ex-wife.
(b) She is his stepsister.
(c) She is his girlfriend.
(d) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
3. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
4. What does Anne Riordan do for a living?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
3. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
5. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
6. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
7. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
8. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
10. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)