|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his girlfriend.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
(d) She is his stepsister.
2. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Chief Wax.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Sergeant Galbraith.
3. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A man flirting with Little Velma.
(c) The night club's bouncer.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
4. How old is Anne Riordan?
(b) Twenty- eight.
(c) Thirty- five.
5. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
(b) His wife has just left him.
(c) He can't get a promotion.
(d) He can't get a pay raise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
2. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
3. What is Philip Marlowe's profession?
4. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
5. Who is parked outside the gate waiting for Marlowe when he leaves the Grayle estate at the beginning of Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
2. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
3. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
4. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
5. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
6. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
7. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
8. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
9. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
10. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)