|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He breaks in through an open window.
(b) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(c) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(d) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
2. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A syringe filled with poison.
(b) A knife.
(c) An antique sword.
(d) A gun.
3. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Velma's attorney.
(c) Velma's family.
(d) The police.
4. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
(b) To find out who is trying to kill him.
(c) To spy on his neighbors for him.
(d) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
5. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
(a) Old newspaper articles about Malloy's bank robbery.
(b) Old letters Moose Malloy sent Velma from prison.
(c) Pictures of people who used to work at Florian's.
(d) Bribe money.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what place do Marlowe and Marriott go to meet the thieves in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
4. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
5. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
2. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
3. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
4. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
5. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
6. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
7. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
8. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
9. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
10. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)