|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
2. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
(b) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(c) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(d) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
3. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
(a) In the back seat of the car.
(b) In the trunk of the car.
(c) Behind some rose bushes outside the meeting place.
(d) In a closet.
4. Who is parked outside the gate waiting for Marlowe when he leaves the Grayle estate at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Jessie Florian.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Moose Malloy.
5. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
(a) A silver vase on a strip of peach-colored velvet.
(b) A white porcelain cat.
(c) A crystal bowl filled with potpourri.
(d) A framed photo of Marriott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
2. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
3. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
4. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
2. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
3. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
5. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
6. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
8. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
9. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
10. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)