|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
(a) A white porcelain cat.
(b) A crystal bowl filled with potpourri.
(c) A silver vase on a strip of peach-colored velvet.
(d) A framed photo of Marriott.
2. For whom is Moose Malloy searching in Chapter 1?
(a) His wife Susan.
(b) His friend James.
(c) His mother.
(d) His former girlfriend, Little Velma.
3. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) Half-dusted furniture.
(b) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(c) A shabby rust-red rug.
(d) Dirty net curtains.
4. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
(b) Platinum blonde.
5. Who is parked outside the gate waiting for Marlowe when he leaves the Grayle estate at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Jessie Florian.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Anne Riordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
2. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
3. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
4. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
5. How long has Malloy been in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
2. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
3. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
4. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
5. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
6. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
7. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
8. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
10. Why does Marlowe agree to help with Lieutenant Nulty's investigation after initially hesitating to do so?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)