|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) In his office.
(b) In his own coat pocket.
(c) In Marriott's car.
(d) In Marriott's pockets.
2. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(a) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
(b) His own business card.
(d) Coded messages.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
(a) He wants to hire Marlowe for a job.
(b) He wants to invite Marlowe to dinner.
(c) He warns Marlowe to stop asking questions about Velma.
(d) He tells Marlowe he knows where Velma and Malloy are.
4. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
(a) The woman's attorney.
(b) The woman's wealthy husband.
(c) The woman's jeweler.
(d) The police or the woman's insurance company.
5. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Waiting in his unlocked reception room for him.
(b) Sitting inside his car.
(c) At Florian's.
(d) At the police station.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Anne Riordan?
2. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
3. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
4. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
5. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe taking a ride in another large dark-colored sedan in Chapter 21 foreshadow?
2. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
3. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
4. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
5. What does the pink and black bug, whose progress Marlowe tracks in Chapter 31, indicate about Marlowe and his life?
6. Who murders Moose Malloy in Chapter 39, and what is the motivation for the killing?
7. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
8. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
9. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)