|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(b) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(c) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(d) He breaks in through an open window.
2. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Velma's family.
(c) The police.
(d) Velma's attorney.
3. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
4. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Belevedere Club.
(b) Marlowe's office.
(d) The Hotel Sans Souci.
5. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
(a) She says Velma's married.
(b) She says Velma's dead.
(c) She says Velma is in a mental institution.
(d) She says Velma is in the hospital with tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
3. In what office did Marlowe once work?
4. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
5. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
2. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
3. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
4. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
5. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
8. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
9. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
10. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)