|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Chief Wax.
(d) Sergeant Galbraith.
2. At the end of Chapter 12, who tells Marlowe to leave Marriott's murder investigation to the police?
(a) Chief Wax.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Anne Riordan.
3. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) The front desk clerk at the Hotel Sans Souci.
(d) Florian's bouncer.
4. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
(a) Jessie Florian.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
5. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The governor's office.
(b) The District Attorney's office.
(c) The IRS office.
(d) The police chief's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
2. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
3. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
4. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
5. Who is Giddy Gertie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
2. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
3. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
4. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
5. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
6. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
7. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
8. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
9. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
10. How does the novel Farewell My Lovely depict racial prejudice and racial relations between African-American and whites in the 1940's, the era in which the story is set?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)