|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
(a) He knocks the man out.
(b) He fires the bouncer.
(c) He gives the bouncer a very small tip.
(d) He gives the bouncer a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.
2. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Jessie Florian.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) A large Native American named Second Planting.
3. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
4. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
5. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A large cabinet radio.
(b) A dining room table.
(c) A green sofa.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
3. Who finds Lindsay Marriott's dead body in Chapter 10?
4. What does Marlowe do once he and Marriott reach the place where they are to meet the thieves?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
3. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
4. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
5. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
6. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
7. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
8. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
9. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)