|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his girlfriend.
(b) She is his stepsister.
(c) She is his ex-wife.
(d) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
2. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
(a) Jessie Florian.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
3. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
(b) Poor job performance.
(c) Perpetual tardiness.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
(b) A tall blond man.
(c) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
(d) A fat man with curly hair.
5. What does Anne Riordan do for a living?
(a) She writes feature articles.
(b) She is a kindergarten teacher.
(c) She's a paleontologist.
(d) She's an opera singer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
2. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
3. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
4. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
5. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
2. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
3. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
4. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
5. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
6. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
7. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
8. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
9. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
10. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)