|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Philip Marlowe's profession?
(a) He's a private detective.
(b) He's a musician.
(c) He's a college professor.
(d) He's an accountant.
2. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A month.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Lieutenant Randall's.
(b) Anne Riordan's.
(c) Jules Amthor's.
(d) Mr. Grayle's.
4. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
(c) Driving while intoxicated.
(d) Robbing a bank.
5. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(b) Chief of the Bay City police.
(c) Manager of the local bank.
(d) Editor of The Chronicle.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
2. Which of the following is not something that Marlowe discovers is missing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
5. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marlowe's interactions with the hot dog vendor in Chapter 34 and what information Marlowe hopes to obtain from the vendor.
2. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
3. What lie does Jules Amthor tell the two policeman about Marlowe in Chapter 23, and what does the lie result in for Marlowe?
4. In Chapter 33, what explanation does Sergeant Galbraith give for putting Marlowe into Sonderborg's hospital?
5. How does Marlowe escape from his locked room in Chapter 26?
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. Why is Marlowe rejected by the bouncers for the Montecito?
8. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
9. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
10. What reasons does Sergeant Galbraith give Marlowe in Chapter 33 for police corruption?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)