|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
(a) A ruby pendant.
(b) A diamond bracelet.
(c) A mink stole.
(d) A Fei Tsui jade necklace.
2. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
(b) Go by himself to the police station.
(c) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(d) Go home to sleep.
3. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(b) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(c) His bookie, Louis.
(d) His secretary, Cassandra.
4. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
(a) Velma's attorney.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Velma's family.
(d) The police.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
(a) He warns Marlowe to stop asking questions about Velma.
(b) He wants to hire Marlowe for a job.
(c) He tells Marlowe he knows where Velma and Malloy are.
(d) He wants to invite Marlowe to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
2. At the end of Chapter 12, who tells Marlowe to leave Marriott's murder investigation to the police?
3. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
4. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
5. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
2. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
3. What does Marlowe learn in Chapter 31 about Jules Amthor and his wife, Second Planting, and Dr. Sonderborg?
4. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
5. Compare Jules Amthor's appearance with his wife's.
6. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
7. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
8. What does Marlowe learn about Anne Riordan's finances in Chapter 28?
9. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
10. Where is Moose Malloy's murderer eventually found, and what is her ultimate fate in the novel?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)