|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe do once he and Marriott reach the place where they are to meet the thieves?
(a) He hides behind a tree to observe the thieves.
(b) He sets up a tape recorder to record the meeting.
(c) He leaves Marriott in the car to go on foot to investigate.
(d) He loads his gun with bullets for protection.
2. How long has Malloy been in prison?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
3. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(b) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(c) He's not too bright.
(d) He's injured and likely to black out.
4. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(a) With cream only.
(b) With sugar and cream.
(c) With sugar only.
5. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
(b) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(c) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(d) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what office did Marlowe once work?
2. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
3. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
4. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
5. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
3. Who is Little Velma, and why is Moose Malloy looking for the woman?
4. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
5. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
6. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
7. When Marlowe visits Jessie Florian at the opening of Chapter 17, what information does she reveal?
8. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
9. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)