|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The person's bloody face.
(b) The revolver in the person's hand.
(c) The person's black eye.
(d) The person's bad smell.
2. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) Mrs. Grayle's.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty's.
(d) His own as he regains consciousness.
3. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) An angel costume.
(b) A wicked witch costume.
(c) A clown costume.
(d) A ballerina costume.
4. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) Half-dusted furniture.
(b) A shabby rust-red rug.
(c) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(d) Dirty net curtains.
5. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The IRS office.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The District Attorney's office.
(d) The police chief's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
2. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
3. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
4. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
5. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
2. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
3. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
4. Why does Marlowe not initially reveal Anne Riordan's identity to Lieutenant Randall?
5. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
6. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
7. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
8. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
9. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
10. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)