|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor, the psychic consultant.
2. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) The night club's owner.
(b) Philip Marlowe.
(c) A night club patron.
(d) A policeman trying to arrest him.
3. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
(b) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(c) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(d) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
4. Which of the following is not something that Marlowe discovers is missing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) The money from his inside coat pocket.
(b) The car, which has been moved to a new location.
(c) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) His watch.
5. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(b) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(c) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(d) On her front porch in a rocker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
2. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
3. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
4. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
5. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lindsay Marriott want Marlowe to accompany him to meet the jewel thieves?
2. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
3. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
4. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
5. Compare and contrast Lieutenant Nulty and Lieutenant Randall.
6. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
7. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
8. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
10. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)