|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A criminal defense attorney.
(b) A recently released convict.
(c) A professional basketball player.
(d) A police captain.
2. For whom is Moose Malloy searching in Chapter 1?
(a) His wife Susan.
(b) His former girlfriend, Little Velma.
(c) His mother.
(d) His friend James.
3. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
(a) A mink stole.
(b) A diamond bracelet.
(c) A Fei Tsui jade necklace.
(d) A ruby pendant.
4. How old is Anne Riordan?
(a) Twenty- eight.
(c) Thirty- five.
5. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(b) Platinum blonde.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
3. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
4. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
5. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
2. What does Marlowe find hidden inside Lindsay Marlowe's cigarettes, and what does he think the hidden items indicate?
3. Who is Mrs. Morrison, and how does she help Marlowe's investigation in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 6, why is Marlowe skeptical when Lieutenant Nulty says the police are closing in on Moose Malloy?
5. What story does Lindsay Marriott give Marlowe about his friend's robbery in Chapter 8?
6. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
8. What does Anne Riordan observe about Marlowe's office, and what does his office indicate about Marlowe?
9. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
10. What is Philip Marlowe's history prior to the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)