|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The police chief's office.
(b) The IRS office.
(c) The District Attorney's office.
(d) The governor's office.
2. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) He can't get a pay raise.
(b) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
(c) He can't get a promotion.
(d) His wife has just left him.
3. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
(a) In a closet.
(b) In the back seat of the car.
(c) In the trunk of the car.
(d) Behind some rose bushes outside the meeting place.
4. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(b) On her front porch in a rocker.
(c) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(d) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Jules Amthor's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Anne Riordan's.
(d) Mr. Grayle's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
2. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
3. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
4. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
5. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Moose Malloy's appearance?
2. What indications are there in Chapter 13 that Marlowe finds Anne Riordan attractive?
3. Why does Marlowe visit Jessie Florian in Chapter 5?
4. What reasons does Marlowe give Anne Riordan in Chapter 19 for why he can't solve the question of who stole Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace?
5. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter, and why does he ask Marlowe to help with the investigation of Sam Montgomery's murder?
6. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
8. Explain what Marlowe finds when he regains consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
10. What indications are there of Mr. Grayle's wealth in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)