|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
(a) The police or the woman's insurance company.
(b) The woman's jeweler.
(c) The woman's wealthy husband.
(d) The woman's attorney.
2. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
3. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Her name.
(b) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
(c) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(d) She was driving alone on the highway.
4. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
5. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Lindsay Marriott.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Anne Riordan?
2. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
3. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
4. In what office did Marlowe once work?
5. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marlowe take to prevent being double-crossed or harmed when he accompanies Lindsay Marriott, and how well do his strategies work?
2. What information does Marlowe uncover about Velma in Chapter 5, and what indications are there that the information may not be entirely reliable?
3. What indications are there in Chapter 19 that Anne Riordan is jealous of Marlowe's attraction to Mrs. Grayle?
4. What indications are there in Chapter 18 that the Grayle marriage is not a happy one?
5. In what ways are Marlowe and Anne Riordan mirror characters?
6. Discuss Lieutenant Nulty's arrest of the wrong man at the beginning of Chapter 13 and what factors make Nulty mistake the man for Moose Malloy.
7. Who is Second Planting, and what is ironic about his referral to himself as a "Hollywood Indian"?
8. What do Marlowe and Anne Riordan find in Lindsay Marriott's pockets in Chapter 11, and what does Anne suspect about the items?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Anne Riordan reveal about the owner of the stolen jade necklace?
10. Describe Jessie Florian and the condition of her home when Marlowe visits it in Chapter 5.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)