|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
(a) Marlowe's office.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's office.
(c) Mr. Grayle's library.
(d) Marlowe's apartment.
2. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
(a) Holds kidnap victims for ransom.
(b) Prints counterfeit money.
(c) Changes criminals' faces with plastic surgery.
(d) Hides criminals wanted by the police.
3. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
(a) He dons a white coat and pretends he's a doctor to escape.
(b) He ambushes an attendant and steals a set of keys.
(c) He starts a fire and escapes when firemen come to free him.
(d) He climbs out the window and goes down the fire escape.
4. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) A tuxedo.
(b) Institutional cotton flannel pajamas.
(c) A green bathing suit.
(d) A blue terrycloth robe and gray silk pajamas.
5. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
(a) Become a movie actor.
(b) Study martial arts.
(c) Take a bath.
(d) Search for Moose Malloy.
6. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) A taxi stand.
(b) His apartment.
(c) The police station.
(d) His office.
7. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
8. Whose appendix bursts in Chapter 33?
(a) Moose Malloy's.
(b) Captain Blane's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
9. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
(a) He is not on the list of people to admit.
(b) He starts a fight with the bouncers.
(c) He has a gun and looks like a cop to the bouncers.
(d) He is rude to the security guards.
10. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's beaten to death.
(b) She's poisoned.
(c) She's shot.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
11. Who pulls Marlowe's own gun on Marlowe in Chapter 22?
(a) Second Planting.
(b) Mrs. Amthor.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Jules Amthor.
12. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
(b) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
(c) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
(d) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
13. What is the Montecito?
(a) One of Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
(b) A Bay City museum.
(c) The Grayle mansion.
(d) Lindsay Marriott's estate.
14. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Chief Wax.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Jessie Florian.
15. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
2. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
5. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)