|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
(a) He has been drugged.
(b) He has suffered a concussion.
(c) He drank too much whiskey at Amthor's, and he's drunk.
(d) He has lost his mind.
2. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) On a bookcase shelf.
(d) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
3. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
(a) Moose Malloy's corpse.
(b) A cache of drugs and guns.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's stolen jade necklace.
(d) The house is locked up and empty, and the doctor is gone.
4. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Twenty-five dollars.
5. In Chapter 32, with whom does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to get even?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
6. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In the closet.
(c) On the patio.
(d) Behind the curtains.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At Marlowe's office.
(b) At the Royal Crown.
(c) At the Montecito.
(d) At Marlowe's apartment.
8. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(c) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(d) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
9. In Chapter 34, why does Marlowe approach the hot dog vendor?
(a) For information about Little Velma.
(b) For information about Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
(c) For information about Moose Malloy.
(d) To buy a couple of hot dogs.
10. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Second Planting.
(d) Mrs. Amthor.
11. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
(a) Sonderborg works for Amthor.
(b) There is no connection as the men don't know each other.
(c) Amthor works for Sonderborg.
(d) Both Amthor and Sonderborg work for Laird Brunette.
12. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(c) Officer Olson.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
13. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
14. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
(a) At his apartment.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In her apartment.
15. Whose office does Marlowe walk into at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) Dr. Sonderborg's.
(b) Jules Amthor's.
(c) Moose Malloy's.
(d) Mr. Grayle's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
2. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
3. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
4. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
5. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)