|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
(a) Dancing girls.
(b) A Faro table.
(c) Roulette wheels.
(d) A bar and some stools.
2. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Jules Amthor.
3. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
4. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A stuffed owl.
(b) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(c) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
(d) A jade panther.
5. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
(b) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
(c) She marries Moose Malloy.
(d) She becomes a famous singer.
6. What does Sergeant Galbraith tell Marlowe in Chapter 33 that he thought Dr. Sonderborg was doing in his house?
(a) Hiding stolen merchandise.
(b) Selling drugs.
(c) Making bootleg whiskey.
(d) Running a gambling hall.
7. Who does Marlowe punch in the nose at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Mrs. Amthor.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Second Planting.
8. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(b) Moose Malloy's activities.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Marlowe's treatment of her.
9. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
(a) Marlowe's apartment.
(b) Mr. Grayle's library.
(c) Marlowe's office.
(d) Lieutenant Randall's office.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At Marlowe's apartment.
(b) At the Montecito.
(c) At the Royal Crown.
(d) At Marlowe's office.
11. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) A blue terrycloth robe and gray silk pajamas.
(b) Institutional cotton flannel pajamas.
(c) A green bathing suit.
(d) A tuxedo.
12. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) A silver Mercedes Benz.
(b) A white Cadillac.
(c) A dark blue Packard sedan.
(d) A red Toyota Camry.
13. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
(a) In an L.A. hospital.
(b) Singing in a Baltimore night club.
(c) Singing on Laird Burnette's casino boats.
(d) In a New York mental institution.
14. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
(a) He climbs out the window and goes down the fire escape.
(b) He starts a fire and escapes when firemen come to free him.
(c) He ambushes an attendant and steals a set of keys.
(d) He dons a white coat and pretends he's a doctor to escape.
15. Which of the following is not something that Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe find in Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
(a) Flies buzzing against the kitchen windows.
(b) Nine empty gin bottles.
(c) A bucket of mop water and a mop.
(d) A terrible smell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
2. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
3. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
4. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
5. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)