|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe find Moose Malloy at the beginning of Chapter 39?
(a) Mrs. Morrison brings Moose to Marlowe.
(b) Marlowe spots Moose gambling on Laird Brunette's boat.
(c) Marlowe spots Moose at the bingo hall in Bay City.
(d) Moose lets himself into Marlowe's apartment.
2. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) A quarter.
(d) One dollar.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
(a) Dancing girls.
(b) A Faro table.
(c) Roulette wheels.
(d) A bar and some stools.
4. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
(a) He and Marlowe overpower the guards to get inside.
(b) He and Marlowe disguise themselves as waiters.
(c) By bribing one of the bouncers to admit Marlowe.
(d) Through a ventilator shaft with the grating removed.
5. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
(a) The Belvedere Club.
(c) The Royal Crown.
(d) A bingo hall.
6. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Eighty-five cents.
(c) A dollar and ten cents.
(d) Five dollars.
7. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
(b) A stuffed owl.
(c) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(d) A jade panther.
8. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
(a) Mrs. Grayle's stolen jade necklace.
(b) The house is locked up and empty, and the doctor is gone.
(c) Moose Malloy's corpse.
(d) A cache of drugs and guns.
9. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Skin soft as silk.
(b) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
(c) Violet eyes.
(d) Short black hair and tanned skin.
10. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
(a) One of Moose Malloy's friends.
(b) One of Jules Amthor's thugs.
(c) One of Laird Burnette's thugs.
(d) Officer Olson of the Bay City police force.
11. In Chapter 31, what kind of insect does Marlowe see crawling across Lieutenant Randall's desk?
(a) An ant.
(b) A spider.
(c) A wasp.
(d) A black bug with a pink head.
12. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
13. Who is John Wax?
(a) The Bay City police chief.
(b) The mayor of Bay City.
(c) The New York police chief.
(d) The LA police commissioner.
14. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Second Planting.
15. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Chief John Wax.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Laird Burnette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose office does Marlowe walk into at the beginning of Chapter 27?
2. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
4. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)