|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 27, to whose home does Marlowe walk on foot?
(a) Anne Riordan's.
(b) Jessie Florian's.
(c) Lieutenant Randall's.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's.
2. What is Sergeant Galbraith's response in Chapter 33 when Marlowe asks if there is a connection between Dr. Sonderborg and Jules Amthor?
(a) Both Amthor and Sonderborg work for Laird Brunette.
(b) There is no connection as the men don't know each other.
(c) Amthor works for Sonderborg.
(d) Sonderborg works for Amthor.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
(a) Roulette wheels.
(b) Dancing girls.
(c) A bar and some stools.
(d) A Faro table.
4. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
(a) Run him out of business.
(b) Rob him.
(c) Blackmail him.
(d) Shoot him.
5. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
(a) Study martial arts.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Search for Moose Malloy.
(d) Become a movie actor.
6. What is the source of the Riordan family money?
(a) A family restaurant that is very popular and prosperous.
(c) Wise investments.
7. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) Behind the curtains.
(c) On the patio.
(d) In the closet.
8. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) His office.
(b) The police station.
(c) His apartment.
(d) A taxi stand.
9. What does Sergeant Galbraith tell Marlowe in Chapter 33 that he thought Dr. Sonderborg was doing in his house?
(a) Making bootleg whiskey.
(b) Selling drugs.
(c) Running a gambling hall.
(d) Hiding stolen merchandise.
10. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
11. Who shoots Moose Malloy in Chapter 39?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) There are bars on the windows.
(b) It's painted gray and blue.
(c) Marlowe is locked in his room.
(d) The attendants wear white coats and mention strait-jackets.
13. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
(b) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
(c) On a bookcase shelf.
(d) Under his mattress.
14. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(c) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(d) Moose Malloy's activities.
15. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) A proposal of marriage.
(b) Fifty dollars for helping him solve his case.
(c) An interview for her newspaper.
(d) A kiss.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
2. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
3. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
4. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
5. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)