|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
(a) A plane.
(b) A bus.
(c) A train.
(d) A water taxi.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Jules Amthor?
(a) Thin and blonde.
(b) Dry and dark hands.
(c) Sleek coiled hair.
(d) A dark, thin wasted Asiatic face.
3. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
(a) Run him out of business.
(b) Blackmail him.
(c) Rob him.
(d) Shoot him.
4. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A stuffed owl.
(b) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(c) A jade panther.
(d) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
5. At the end of chapter 28, what smells like dust and tobacco?
(a) Marlowe's office.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's office.
(c) Mr. Grayle's library.
(d) Marlowe's apartment.
6. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's beaten to death.
(b) She's stabbed to death.
(c) She's poisoned.
(d) She's shot.
7. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
(a) Sergeant Joseph.
(b) Sergeant Galbraith.
(c) Lieutenant Maxwell.
(d) Lieutenant Davis.
8. Who does Marlowe punch in the nose at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Jessie Florian.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mrs. Amthor.
(d) Second Planting.
9. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
(a) He finds an empty whiskey bottle in his room.
(b) There are needle marks on his arm.
(c) He has had a similar nervous breakdown before.
(d) His head aches, and there's a big knot on his forehead.
10. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Skin soft as silk.
(b) Short black hair and tanned skin.
(c) Violet eyes.
(d) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At the Montecito.
(b) At Marlowe's office.
(c) At the Royal Crown.
(d) At Marlowe's apartment.
13. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
(b) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
(c) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
(d) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
14. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
(b) A speech impediment.
(c) A broken heart.
15. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(d) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
2. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
4. In Chapter 34, why does Marlowe approach the hot dog vendor?
5. Which police officer does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to use as muscle?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)