|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Mrs. Morrison.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
2. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
3. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
4. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
(a) He has a gun and looks like a cop to the bouncers.
(b) He is rude to the security guards.
(c) He starts a fight with the bouncers.
(d) He is not on the list of people to admit.
5. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
(a) Blackmail him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Rob him.
(d) Run him out of business.
6. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She becomes a famous singer.
(b) She marries Moose Malloy.
(c) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
(d) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
7. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
(a) A bus.
(b) A water taxi.
(c) A plane.
(d) A train.
8. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
(a) He has lost his mind.
(b) He has been drugged.
(c) He has suffered a concussion.
(d) He drank too much whiskey at Amthor's, and he's drunk.
9. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(b) A jade panther.
(c) A stuffed owl.
(d) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
10. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Laird Brunette.
11. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) His apartment.
(b) A taxi stand.
(c) His office.
(d) The police station.
12. Where is Little Velma found in Chapter 41?
(a) Singing on Laird Burnette's casino boats.
(b) Singing in a Baltimore night club.
(c) In a New York mental institution.
(d) In an L.A. hospital.
13. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
(a) He finds an empty whiskey bottle in his room.
(b) His head aches, and there's a big knot on his forehead.
(c) He has had a similar nervous breakdown before.
(d) There are needle marks on his arm.
14. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) In New York investigating a case.
(d) On vacation in Mexico.
15. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
(a) Hides criminals wanted by the police.
(b) Changes criminals' faces with plastic surgery.
(c) Prints counterfeit money.
(d) Holds kidnap victims for ransom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Jules Amthor?
3. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
4. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
5. Who gives Marlowe an Egyptian cigarette in Chapter 38?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)