|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
(a) He has a gun and looks like a cop to the bouncers.
(b) He is not on the list of people to admit.
(c) He starts a fight with the bouncers.
(d) He is rude to the security guards.
2. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
3. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Chief Wax.
4. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Laird Brunette.
5. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(d) Moose Malloy's activities.
6. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) In New York investigating a case.
(b) On vacation in Mexico.
(c) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(d) In a hospital.
7. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
(a) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(b) On the Montecito.
(c) In the Grayle mansion.
(d) In Jules Amthor's house.
8. How much does Marlowe's dinner at the end of Chapter 34 cost?
(a) Eighty-five cents.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) A dollar and ten cents.
(d) One dollar.
9. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
(a) The Royal Crown.
(b) A bingo hall.
(d) The Belvedere Club.
10. Which of the following statements does not describe Jules Amthor?
(a) Overweight with a dark mustache.
(b) Deep, expressionless eyes.
(c) Skin as smooth as a rose petal.
(d) Pale, fine white hair and coal-black eyebrows.
11. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) A blue terrycloth robe and gray silk pajamas.
(b) Institutional cotton flannel pajamas.
(c) A green bathing suit.
(d) A tuxedo.
12. How does Marlowe find Moose Malloy at the beginning of Chapter 39?
(a) Marlowe spots Moose at the bingo hall in Bay City.
(b) Marlowe spots Moose gambling on Laird Brunette's boat.
(c) Moose lets himself into Marlowe's apartment.
(d) Mrs. Morrison brings Moose to Marlowe.
13. What nickname does Marlowe give the big man escorting him out of Amthor's house?
14. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
(a) Moose Malloy's corpse.
(b) A cache of drugs and guns.
(c) The house is locked up and empty, and the doctor is gone.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's stolen jade necklace.
15. Who accompanies Marlowe when he visits Mrs. Morrison in Chapter 30?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Mr. Grayle.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Mrs. Amthor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
2. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
3. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
4. What does Marlowe eat at the beginning of Chapter 28?
5. Who is Sergeant Galbraith?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)