|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
(a) On the patio.
(b) In the closet.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) Behind the curtains.
2. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(d) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
3. How does Marlowe find Moose Malloy at the beginning of Chapter 39?
(a) Marlowe spots Moose gambling on Laird Brunette's boat.
(b) Marlowe spots Moose at the bingo hall in Bay City.
(c) Moose lets himself into Marlowe's apartment.
(d) Mrs. Morrison brings Moose to Marlowe.
4. At the end of Chapter 40, who turns out to be an international con man wanted by Scotland Yard?
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Laird Brunette.
5. Whom does Marlowe demand to see inside the Montecito?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
6. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's beaten to death.
(b) She's shot.
(c) She's stabbed to death.
(d) She's poisoned.
7. In Chapter 32, with whom does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to get even?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Jules Amthor.
8. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In New York investigating a case.
(c) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(d) On vacation in Mexico.
9. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
(a) He is not on the list of people to admit.
(b) He is rude to the security guards.
(c) He starts a fight with the bouncers.
(d) He has a gun and looks like a cop to the bouncers.
10. Who shoots Moose Malloy in Chapter 39?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
11. When Marlowe begins to hallucinate in Chapter 25, what does he realize?
(a) He has lost his mind.
(b) He has suffered a concussion.
(c) He has been drugged.
(d) He drank too much whiskey at Amthor's, and he's drunk.
12. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
(a) Sergeant Joseph.
(b) Lieutenant Davis.
(c) Lieutenant Maxwell.
(d) Sergeant Galbraith.
13. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
14. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She marries Moose Malloy.
(b) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
(c) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
(d) She becomes a famous singer.
15. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
(a) A plane.
(b) A water taxi.
(c) A bus.
(d) A train.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
2. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)