|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
(a) Captain Blane.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Sergeant Galbraith.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
2. In Chapter 38, where does Marlowe think Moose Malloy might be hiding?
(a) In Jules Amthor's house.
(b) In the Grayle mansion.
(c) On the Montecito.
(d) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
3. When Mrs. Grayle arrives, where does Marlowe tell Moose Malloy to hide?
(a) On the patio.
(b) In the closet.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) Behind the curtains.
4. What is the source of the Riordan family money?
(a) Wise investments.
(d) A family restaurant that is very popular and prosperous.
5. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) A quarter.
(d) One dollar.
6. In Chapter 35, why does Marlowe initially fail to get inside the Montecito?
(a) He starts a fight with the bouncers.
(b) He is rude to the security guards.
(c) He is not on the list of people to admit.
(d) He has a gun and looks like a cop to the bouncers.
7. In Chapter 31, what kind of insect does Marlowe see crawling across Lieutenant Randall's desk?
(a) A wasp.
(b) An ant.
(c) A black bug with a pink head.
(d) A spider.
8. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(b) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(c) Moose Malloy's activities.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
9. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
(a) His office.
(b) His apartment.
(c) A taxi stand.
(d) The police station.
10. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's shot.
(b) She's beaten to death.
(c) She's poisoned.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
11. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
(b) On a bookcase shelf.
(c) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
(d) Under his mattress.
12. What does Marlowe eat at the beginning of Chapter 28?
(a) A large breakfast of boiled eggs, toast, and coffee.
(b) A steak and baked potato with a salad.
(c) Apple pie and ice cream.
(d) A ham and swiss cheese sandwich.
13. Who pulls a gun on Marlowe in Chapter 39?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Anne Riordan.
14. In Chapter 27, to whose home does Marlowe walk on foot?
(a) Jessie Florian's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
15. Into what building does Red follow Marlowe in Chapter 35?
(a) The Belvedere Club.
(c) The Royal Crown.
(d) A bingo hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
2. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
3. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Jules Amthor?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)