|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
2. What is the source of the Riordan family money?
(b) Wise investments.
(c) A family restaurant that is very popular and prosperous.
3. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
(a) Rob him.
(b) Run him out of business.
(c) Blackmail him.
(d) Shoot him.
4. In Chapter 34, why does Marlowe approach the hot dog vendor?
(a) To buy a couple of hot dogs.
(b) For information about Little Velma.
(c) For information about Moose Malloy.
(d) For information about Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
5. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
(a) One of Laird Burnette's thugs.
(b) One of Moose Malloy's friends.
(c) One of Jules Amthor's thugs.
(d) Officer Olson of the Bay City police force.
6. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Jules Amthor.
(d) Laird Brunette.
7. In Chapter 32, with whom does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to get even?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Jules Amthor.
8. How does Marlowe find Moose Malloy at the beginning of Chapter 39?
(a) Marlowe spots Moose at the bingo hall in Bay City.
(b) Marlowe spots Moose gambling on Laird Brunette's boat.
(c) Moose lets himself into Marlowe's apartment.
(d) Mrs. Morrison brings Moose to Marlowe.
9. What evidence confirms Marlowe's suspicions about why he is hallucinating?
(a) He finds an empty whiskey bottle in his room.
(b) There are needle marks on his arm.
(c) His head aches, and there's a big knot on his forehead.
(d) He has had a similar nervous breakdown before.
10. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
(b) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
(c) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
(d) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
11. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
(a) A train.
(b) A bus.
(c) A water taxi.
(d) A plane.
12. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) Laird Burnette.
(b) Chief John Wax.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) The mayor.
13. Whose office does Marlowe walk into at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) Moose Malloy's.
(b) Jules Amthor's.
(c) Dr. Sonderborg's.
(d) Mr. Grayle's.
14. In Chapter 31, what kind of insect does Marlowe see crawling across Lieutenant Randall's desk?
(a) A wasp.
(b) A black bug with a pink head.
(c) An ant.
(d) A spider.
15. How does Red get Marlowe into the Montecito?
(a) Through a ventilator shaft with the grating removed.
(b) He and Marlowe overpower the guards to get inside.
(c) By bribing one of the bouncers to admit Marlowe.
(d) He and Marlowe disguise themselves as waiters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
2. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
3. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
4. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
5. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)