|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pulls a gun on Marlowe in Chapter 39?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Jules Amthor.
2. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Eighty dollars.
(d) Twenty-five dollars.
3. Who tries to talk Marlowe into returning to his room in Chapter 27?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Dr. Sonderborg.
(c) Second Planting.
(d) Moose Malloy.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Jules Amthor?
(a) Overweight with a dark mustache.
(b) Pale, fine white hair and coal-black eyebrows.
(c) Skin as smooth as a rose petal.
(d) Deep, expressionless eyes.
5. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
6. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 23, how many people are with him?
7. Who pulls Marlowe's own gun on Marlowe in Chapter 22?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Mrs. Amthor.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Second Planting.
8. Which of the following is not something that Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe find in Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
(a) Nine empty gin bottles.
(b) A terrible smell.
(c) Flies buzzing against the kitchen windows.
(d) A bucket of mop water and a mop.
9. Where does Marlowe initially tell Lieutenant Randall he has been while Randall has been searching for him?
(a) In New York investigating a case.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) On vacation in Mexico.
(d) At Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
10. In Chapter 34, why does Marlowe approach the hot dog vendor?
(a) To buy a couple of hot dogs.
(b) For information about Laird Burnette's gambling boats.
(c) For information about Moose Malloy.
(d) For information about Little Velma.
11. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) Fifty dollars for helping him solve his case.
(b) A proposal of marriage.
(c) An interview for her newspaper.
(d) A kiss.
12. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's shot.
(b) She's beaten to death.
(c) She's poisoned.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
(a) A week.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Two weeks.
14. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) It's painted gray and blue.
(b) The attendants wear white coats and mention strait-jackets.
(c) Marlowe is locked in his room.
(d) There are bars on the windows.
15. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
(a) The hot dog vendor.
(b) Mr. Grayle.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Anne Riordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
2. At the end of Chapter 28, to where does Marlowe ask Anne to drive him?
3. In Chapter 32, with whom does Marlowe tell John Wax he wants to get even?
4. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
5. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)