|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transportation does Marlowe initially take to the Montecito in Chapter 35?
(a) A water taxi.
(b) A train.
(c) A plane.
(d) A bus.
2. In Chapter 31, what kind of insect does Marlowe see crawling across Lieutenant Randall's desk?
(a) A black bug with a pink head.
(b) An ant.
(c) A spider.
(d) A wasp.
3. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
(a) Moose Malloy's buddies.
(c) Bay City policemen.
(d) Amthor's security guards.
4. What color are the walls, ceiling, and rugs in the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
5. Who is John Wax?
(a) The Bay City police chief.
(b) The New York police chief.
(c) The LA police commissioner.
(d) The mayor of Bay City.
6. Whom does John Wax phone in Chapter 32 to verify Marlowe's claims?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
7. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
(a) Second Planting.
(b) Jules Amthor.
(c) Mrs. Amthor.
(d) Moose Malloy.
8. Who does Moose Malloy realize must have framed him for the bank robbery eight years earlier?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Laird Brunette.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Jules Amthor.
9. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's poisoned.
(b) She's shot.
(c) She's beaten to death.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
10. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Violet eyes.
(b) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
(c) Short black hair and tanned skin.
(d) Skin soft as silk.
11. How much money does Marlowe give the hot dog vendor?
(a) One dollar.
(b) A quarter.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
12. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(b) Moose Malloy's activities.
(c) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
13. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 23, how many people are with him?
14. How do Lieutenant Randall and Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house in Chapter 30?
(a) Jessie Florian admits them.
(b) Mrs. Morrison lends them her key.
(c) They break in using Lieutenant Randall's knife.
(d) Mrs. Morrison breaks into the house for them.
15. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe suggest that Jules Amthor get Second Planting to do?
2. What is the real name of the big cop who escorts Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house and to whom Marlowe assigns a nickname?
3. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 29, how long has Lieutenant Randall been searching for Marlowe?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)