|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
2. In Chapter 31, what kind of insect does Marlowe see crawling across Lieutenant Randall's desk?
(a) A black bug with a pink head.
(b) A spider.
(c) An ant.
(d) A wasp.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where does Marlowe find the money that is missing from his wallet?
(a) In the drawer of his night stand.
(b) In his attendant's pockets.
(c) In a wall safe in his room.
(d) Under his mattress.
4. What does Sergeant Galbraith tell Marlowe in Chapter 33 that he thought Dr. Sonderborg was doing in his house?
(a) Selling drugs.
(b) Making bootleg whiskey.
(c) Running a gambling hall.
(d) Hiding stolen merchandise.
5. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
(b) Moose Malloy's buddies.
(c) Amthor's security guards.
(d) Bay City policemen.
6. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
(a) Violet eyes.
(b) Skin soft as silk.
(c) Wearing dirty sneakers and tarry pants.
(d) Short black hair and tanned skin.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees inside the Montecito?
(a) Dancing girls.
(b) A Faro table.
(c) A bar and some stools.
(d) Roulette wheels.
8. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
(a) Holds kidnap victims for ransom.
(b) Prints counterfeit money.
(c) Hides criminals wanted by the police.
(d) Changes criminals' faces with plastic surgery.
9. Who tells Lieutenant Randall about Sam Montgomery's murder at Florian's?
(b) Chief Wax.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Anne Riordan.
10. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(d) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
11. How much does Red want for getting Marlowe inside the Montecito?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Twenty-five dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Eighty dollars.
12. What kind of car does Second Planting drive at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) A red Toyota Camry.
(b) A dark blue Packard sedan.
(c) A silver Mercedes Benz.
(d) A white Cadillac.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 39, where does Mrs. Grayle agree to meet Marlowe?
(a) At the Royal Crown.
(b) At Marlowe's office.
(c) At Marlowe's apartment.
(d) At the Montecito.
14. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
(a) A broken heart.
(c) A speech impediment.
15. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Second Planting.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Bay City Chief of Detectives?
2. Whom does Marlowe ask to get a message to Moose Malloy?
3. Who tells Marlowe to avoid the Royal Crown?
4. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
5. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)