|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 21, what happens after Marlowe says he thinks Amthor and Marriott worked together to blackmail women?
(a) Amthor says Second Planting is the real blackmailer.
(b) The lights go out, and Marlowe is attacked in the dark.
(c) Mrs. Amthor appears with a gun in her hand.
(d) Amthor laughs and admits Marlowe is right.
2. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) A tuxedo.
(b) Institutional cotton flannel pajamas.
(c) A green bathing suit.
(d) A blue terrycloth robe and gray silk pajamas.
3. What is Little Velma's ultimate fate in the novel?
(a) She shoots herself in the heart instead of going to jail.
(b) She marries Moose Malloy.
(c) She is shot by Jules Amthor and Second Planting.
(d) She becomes a famous singer.
4. Marlowe thinks the men escorting him out of Amthor's house are______________.
(a) Bay City policemen.
(b) Amthor's security guards.
(d) Moose Malloy's buddies.
5. Who chokes Marlowe in Chapter 22?
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Second Planting.
(d) Mrs. Amthor.
6. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
(a) In Jules Amthor's basement.
(b) In the back of a Bay City policeman's car.
(c) In a sanitarium.
(d) In a hospital.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe the place in which Marlowe finds himself at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) There are bars on the windows.
(b) It's painted gray and blue.
(c) Marlowe is locked in his room.
(d) The attendants wear white coats and mention strait-jackets.
8. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Second Planting.
9. In Chapter 39, whom does Marlowe accuse of murdering Lindsay Marriott?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Anne Riordan.
10. Where does Marlowe find a gun in Chapter 27?
(a) Under his mattress.
(b) On a bookcase shelf.
(c) In Mrs. Amthor's purse.
(d) One of Dr. Sonderborg's drawers.
11. Who accompanies Marlowe when he visits Mrs. Morrison in Chapter 30?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Mrs. Amthor.
(d) Lieutenant Randall.
12. How does Marlowe escape from his room in Chapter 26?
(a) He dons a white coat and pretends he's a doctor to escape.
(b) He climbs out the window and goes down the fire escape.
(c) He starts a fire and escapes when firemen come to free him.
(d) He ambushes an attendant and steals a set of keys.
13. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
(b) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
(c) A stuffed owl.
(d) A jade panther.
14. For what does Jules Amthor say he has treated Mrs. Grayle?
(a) A speech impediment.
(d) A broken heart.
15. Who , according to Sergeant Galbraith, runs Bay City?
(a) Chief John Wax.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Captain Blane.
(d) Laird Burnette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sergeant Galbraith?
2. How much money does the hot dog vendor demand for what Marlowe wants him to do?
3. According to Jules Amthor, who is a natural medium?
4. What does Lieutenant Randall find when he goes to Dr. Sonderborg's house in Chapter 31?
5. Who does Marlowe see lounging on a bed and reading the newspaper in one of the other rooms as he makes his way down the hall at the beginning of Chapter 26?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)