|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morrison lie about in Chapter 30?
(a) Jessie Florian's mail delivery.
(b) Marlowe's treatment of her.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's relationship with Lindsay Marriott.
(d) Moose Malloy's activities.
2. What does Lieutenant Randall accuse Marlowe of stealing?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's three Russian cigarettes.
(b) Jules Amthor's crystal ball.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's eight thousand dollars.
(d) Mrs. Grayle's jade necklace.
3. What do the men escorting Marlowe out of Jules Amthor's house at the beginning of Chapter 24 say Amthor accuses Marlowe of trying to do to him?
(a) Rob him.
(b) Run him out of business.
(c) Blackmail him.
(d) Shoot him.
4. Whose appendix bursts in Chapter 33?
(a) Moose Malloy's.
(b) Captain Blane's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
5. What does Lieutenant Randall warn Marlowe to stay away from in Chapter 31?
(a) The temptation of Mrs. Grayle.
(b) The search for Moose Malloy.
(c) The Lindsay Marriott murder investigation.
(d) Anne Riordan.
6. Who is the beak-nosed man who questions Marlowe about Red in Chapter 35?
(a) One of Moose Malloy's friends.
(b) One of Laird Burnette's thugs.
(c) One of Jules Amthor's thugs.
(d) Officer Olson of the Bay City police force.
7. According to Jules Amthor, who is stupid?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Second Planting.
8. What is on the white table in the middle of the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
(a) A jade panther.
(b) A milk-white globe or crystal ball.
(c) A stuffed owl.
(d) A photo of Mrs. Grayle.
9. What is Marlowe wearing when he comes to at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) Institutional cotton flannel pajamas.
(b) A tuxedo.
(c) A green bathing suit.
(d) A blue terrycloth robe and gray silk pajamas.
10. Whose office does Marlowe walk into at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) Moose Malloy's.
(b) Jules Amthor's.
(c) Mr. Grayle's.
(d) Dr. Sonderborg's.
11. What does Dr. Sonderborg actually do in his house?
(a) Changes criminals' faces with plastic surgery.
(b) Hides criminals wanted by the police.
(c) Holds kidnap victims for ransom.
(d) Prints counterfeit money.
12. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 23, how many people are with him?
13. When Marlowe regains consciousness in Chapter 25, where does he find himself?
(a) In a sanitarium.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) In Jules Amthor's basement.
(d) In the back of a Bay City policeman's car.
14. What shape is the room into which Mrs. Amthor conducts Marlowe in Chapter 21?
15. How is Jessie Florian murdered?
(a) She's beaten to death.
(b) She's poisoned.
(c) She's shot.
(d) She's stabbed to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Jules Amthor?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Red?
3. What does Anne Riordan say she wants from Marlowe at the end of Chapter 40?
4. At the end of Chapter 28, where does Anne suggest that Marlowe get some sleep?
5. In Chapter 27, to whose home does Marlowe walk on foot?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)