|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
(a) Old newspaper articles about Malloy's bank robbery.
(b) Bribe money.
(c) Pictures of people who used to work at Florian's.
(d) Old letters Moose Malloy sent Velma from prison.
2. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
(a) She says Velma's dead.
(b) She says Velma is in a mental institution.
(c) She says Velma is in the hospital with tuberculosis.
(d) She says Velma's married.
3. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Little Velma.
(c) The new owner of Florian's.
(d) Mike Florian.
4. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Rubbing alcohol.
(c) Iced water.
(d) Iced tea.
5. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(b) Editor of The Chronicle.
(c) Manager of the local bank.
(d) Chief of the Bay City police.
6. At the end of Chapter 12, who tells Marlowe to leave Marriott's murder investigation to the police?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Chief Wax.
7. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his girlfriend.
(d) She is his stepsister.
8. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(b) Kissing each other.
(c) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(d) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
9. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(a) His own business card.
(c) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
(d) Coded messages.
10. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A recently released convict.
(b) A professional basketball player.
(c) A criminal defense attorney.
(d) A police captain.
11. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
12. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To spy on his neighbors for him.
(b) To find out who is trying to kill him.
(c) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
(d) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
13. What does Marlowe do once he and Marriott reach the place where they are to meet the thieves?
(a) He hides behind a tree to observe the thieves.
(b) He loads his gun with bullets for protection.
(c) He leaves Marriott in the car to go on foot to investigate.
(d) He sets up a tape recorder to record the meeting.
14. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) They contain the murderer's fingerprints.
(b) Finding where they were bought will lead to the killer.
(c) They contain the murderer's DNA.
(d) They're marijuana rather than tobacco.
15. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
(a) The Grayle butler.
(b) Lieutant Randall.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Anne Riordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
2. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
3. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
5. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)