|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
(a) A pint of bourbon.
(b) Black coffee.
(d) Apple juice.
2. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Go home to sleep.
(b) Go by himself to the police station.
(c) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(d) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) A fat man with curly hair.
(b) A tall blond man.
(c) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
(d) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
4. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
(a) A mink stole.
(b) A ruby pendant.
(c) A diamond bracelet.
(d) A Fei Tsui jade necklace.
5. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) He can't get a promotion.
(b) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
(c) His wife has just left him.
(d) He can't get a pay raise.
6. To what place do Marlowe and Marriott go to meet the thieves in Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(c) Santa Monica Boulevard.
(d) Purissima Canyon.
7. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
8. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Jessie Florian.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Jules Amthor.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Mr. Grayle's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Jules Amthor's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
10. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
(b) The night club's bouncer.
(c) A waitress named Vivian.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
11. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Rubbing alcohol.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Iced water.
12. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) The front desk clerk at the Hotel Sans Souci.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Florian's bouncer.
13. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Kissing each other.
(b) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(c) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(d) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
14. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
(a) In the trunk of the car.
(b) In a closet.
(c) In the back seat of the car.
(d) Behind some rose bushes outside the meeting place.
15. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) His secretary, Cassandra.
(b) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(c) His bookie, Louis.
(d) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
2. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
3. Where does Anne Riordan want Marlowe to go for a drink at the end of Chapter 11?
4. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
5. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)