|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
(d) Platinum blonde.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Anne Riordan's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Mr. Grayle's.
(d) Jules Amthor's.
3. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
(a) Lieutenant Randall.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Anne Riordan.
4. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Iced tea.
(c) Iced water.
(d) Rubbing alcohol.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) A tall blond man.
(b) A fat man with curly hair.
(c) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
(d) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
6. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(c) Platinum blonde.
7. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To find out who is trying to kill him.
(b) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
(c) To spy on his neighbors for him.
(d) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
(b) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
(c) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
(d) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
9. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
10. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Velma's attorney.
(c) The police.
(d) Velma's family.
11. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) He can't get a pay raise.
(b) He can't get a promotion.
(c) His wife has just left him.
(d) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
12. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A knife.
(b) An antique sword.
(c) A gun.
(d) A syringe filled with poison.
13. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
(b) Poor job performance.
(d) Perpetual tardiness.
14. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's injured and likely to black out.
(b) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(c) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(d) He's not too bright.
15. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(b) Marlowe's landlord.
(c) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(d) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
2. Who finds Lindsay Marriott's dead body in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
4. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
5. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)