|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A police captain.
(b) A professional basketball player.
(c) A recently released convict.
(d) A criminal defense attorney.
2. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Belevedere Club.
(b) Marlowe's office.
(c) The Hotel Sans Souci.
3. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
(a) She says Velma's dead.
(b) She says Velma is in the hospital with tuberculosis.
(c) She says Velma is in a mental institution.
(d) She says Velma's married.
4. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Jessie Florian.
5. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(b) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(d) The society editor of The Chronicle.
6. Who finds Lindsay Marriott's dead body in Chapter 10?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Anne Riordan.
7. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
8. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Chief of the Bay City police.
(b) Manager of the local bank.
(c) Editor of The Chronicle.
(d) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
9. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Waiting in his unlocked reception room for him.
(b) At Florian's.
(c) Sitting inside his car.
(d) At the police station.
10. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Iced water.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Rubbing alcohol.
11. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Mr. Grayle.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
12. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
(a) African Americans.
(b) An Irish gang.
(c) Malloy's ex-wife and her family.
(d) An Italian gang.
13. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
(a) A framed photo of Marriott.
(b) A white porcelain cat.
(c) A crystal bowl filled with potpourri.
(d) A silver vase on a strip of peach-colored velvet.
14. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(b) A night club patron.
(c) The night club's owner.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
15. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(a) Platinum blonde.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
2. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
3. In what office did Marlowe once work?
4. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
5. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)