|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
(b) Go home to sleep.
(c) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(d) Go by himself to the police station.
2. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A syringe filled with poison.
(b) An antique sword.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
3. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
(a) A white porcelain cat.
(b) A crystal bowl filled with potpourri.
(c) A framed photo of Marriott.
(d) A silver vase on a strip of peach-colored velvet.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
(b) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
(c) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
(d) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
5. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
(a) Driving while intoxicated.
(b) Robbing a bank.
6. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A bouquet of roses.
(b) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(c) A registered letter.
(d) A male visitor.
7. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A large cabinet radio.
(b) A bed.
(c) A dining room table.
(d) A green sofa.
8. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his girlfriend.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
(d) She is his stepsister.
9. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(b) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(c) He's not too bright.
(d) He's injured and likely to black out.
10. How old is Anne Riordan?
(b) Thirty- five.
(d) Twenty- eight.
11. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
(b) She was driving alone on the highway.
(c) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(d) Her name.
12. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
(a) One of the rings they had just stolen from her.
(b) Her stolen purse.
(c) Her ruby pendant.
(d) Her diamond bracelet.
13. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) His secretary, Cassandra.
(b) His bookie, Louis.
(c) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(d) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
14. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(a) Platinum blonde.
15. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(b) On her front porch in a rocker.
(c) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(d) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
2. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
3. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
4. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
5. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)