|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) Jules Amthor, the psychic consultant.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
2. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
3. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A dining room table.
(b) A green sofa.
(c) A large cabinet radio.
(d) A bed.
4. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
(a) A Fei Tsui jade necklace.
(b) A diamond bracelet.
(c) A mink stole.
(d) A ruby pendant.
5. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) A shabby rust-red rug.
(b) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(c) Half-dusted furniture.
(d) Dirty net curtains.
6. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
(b) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
(c) To find out who is trying to kill him.
(d) To spy on his neighbors for him.
7. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Go by himself to the police station.
(b) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(c) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
(d) Go home to sleep.
8. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) In Marriott's car.
(b) In his office.
(c) In Marriott's pockets.
(d) In his own coat pocket.
9. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
(a) Velma Valento.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Nulty himself.
(d) Velma's sister.
10. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) At the police station.
(b) Waiting in his unlocked reception room for him.
(c) Sitting inside his car.
(d) At Florian's.
11. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A registered letter.
(b) A male visitor.
(c) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(d) A bouquet of roses.
12. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(b) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
(c) His own business card.
(d) Coded messages.
13. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The revolver in the person's hand.
(b) The person's black eye.
(c) The person's bloody face.
(d) The person's bad smell.
14. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
(a) A singer named Louise.
(b) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(c) A piano player named Dave.
(d) A waiter named Ernest.
15. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
(a) Laird Brunette.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Mr. Grayle.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
2. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
3. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
4. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)