|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
2. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A syringe filled with poison.
(b) A gun.
(c) An antique sword.
(d) A knife.
3. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Eighty thousand dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Eight thousand dollars.
4. How old is Anne Riordan?
(b) Thirty- five.
(d) Twenty- eight.
5. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
(a) Malloy's ex-wife and her family.
(b) African Americans.
(c) An Italian gang.
(d) An Irish gang.
6. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(b) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(c) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(d) Marlowe's landlord.
7. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A man flirting with Little Velma.
(c) The night club's bouncer.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
8. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
9. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Nulty himself.
(c) Velma Valento.
(d) Velma's sister.
10. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
(a) The new owner of Florian's.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Little Velma.
(d) Mike Florian.
11. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
(a) Wearing a grey sports coat with white golf ball buttons.
(b) In perpetual need of a shave.
(c) Six foot five inches tall and not wider than a beer truck.
(d) Bald with thick black spectacles.
12. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lieutant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) The Grayle butler.
13. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) In his office.
(b) In Marriott's car.
(c) In Marriott's pockets.
(d) In his own coat pocket.
14. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(b) The society editor of The Chronicle.
(c) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
(d) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
15. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A bouquet of roses.
(b) A male visitor.
(c) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(d) A registered letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
2. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
3. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
4. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)