|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Lieutenant Randall.
2. What does Jessie Florian try to hide from Marlowe in Chapter 5 until Marlowe pulls it out of the trunk in her bedroom?
(a) A letter revealing who framed Malloy for the bank robbery.
(b) A photo of a woman Marlowe believes is Velma Valento.
(c) A letter with Velma's current address on it.
(d) The gun Malloy used to shoot Mr. Montgomery.
3. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Waiting in his unlocked reception room for him.
(b) At the police station.
(c) Sitting inside his car.
(d) At Florian's.
4. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Lindsay Marriott.
5. How long has Malloy been in prison?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) One year.
6. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
7. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) His own as he regains consciousness.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty's.
8. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A male visitor.
(b) A bouquet of roses.
(c) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(d) A registered letter.
9. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A ballerina costume.
(c) An angel costume.
(d) A clown costume.
10. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
(b) Her name.
(c) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(d) She was driving alone on the highway.
11. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(b) Platinum blonde.
12. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
(b) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(c) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(d) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
13. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) They're marijuana rather than tobacco.
(b) Finding where they were bought will lead to the killer.
(c) They contain the murderer's fingerprints.
(d) They contain the murderer's DNA.
14. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(b) He's injured and likely to black out.
(c) He's not too bright.
(d) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
15. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
(b) Robbing a bank.
(c) Driving while intoxicated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
2. How old is Anne Riordan?
3. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
4. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
5. According to Lieutenant Nulty in Chapter 7, who has been to visit Jessie Florian after Marlowe's visit to her?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)