|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(a) With sugar only.
(b) With sugar and cream.
(d) With cream only.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
(b) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
(c) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
(d) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Jules Amthor's.
(b) Lieutenant Randall's.
(c) Mr. Grayle's.
(d) Anne Riordan's.
4. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Florian's bouncer.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) The front desk clerk at the Hotel Sans Souci.
5. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his ex-wife.
(b) She is his stepsister.
(c) She is his girlfriend.
(d) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
6. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) Philip Marlowe.
(b) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(c) A night club patron.
(d) The night club's owner.
7. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
(a) Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Mr. Grayle.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Laird Brunette.
8. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mrs. Grayle.
9. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Editor of The Chronicle.
(b) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(c) Manager of the local bank.
(d) Chief of the Bay City police.
10. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
(b) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(c) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(d) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
11. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
(a) An Italian gang.
(b) African Americans.
(c) An Irish gang.
(d) Malloy's ex-wife and her family.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
(a) A tall blond man.
(b) Wearing a cornflower in the lapel of his coat.
(c) A fat man with curly hair.
(d) Wearing a white flannet suit and violet satin scarf.
13. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
(a) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(c) A waitress named Vivian.
(d) The night club's bouncer.
14. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
15. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(c) Kissing each other.
(d) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
2. How old is Anne Riordan?
3. Who finds Lindsay Marriott's dead body in Chapter 10?
4. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
5. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)