|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
(a) Mr. Grayle has a very unpleasant personality.
(b) Mr. Grayle is a lot older than his beautiful wife.
(c) Mrs. Grayle is beautiful, and Mr. Grayle is ugly.
(d) Mrs. Grayle has innumerable jewels and furs.
2. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) A large Native American named Second Planting.
(b) Mrs. Morrison.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Jessie Florian.
3. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(b) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(c) He breaks in through an open window.
(d) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
4. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Jules Amthor, the psychic consultant.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
5. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Hotel Sans Souci.
(b) The Belevedere Club.
(c) Marlowe's office.
6. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) An angel costume.
(b) A ballerina costume.
(c) A wicked witch costume.
(d) A clown costume.
7. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) They contain the murderer's DNA.
(b) Finding where they were bought will lead to the killer.
(c) They're marijuana rather than tobacco.
(d) They contain the murderer's fingerprints.
8. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
9. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) He can't get a promotion.
(b) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
(c) His wife has just left him.
(d) He can't get a pay raise.
10. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
(a) Perpetual tardiness.
(b) Poor job performance.
11. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
(a) An Irish gang.
(b) African Americans.
(c) An Italian gang.
(d) Malloy's ex-wife and her family.
12. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
(b) Driving while intoxicated.
(d) Robbing a bank.
13. How long has Mike Florian been dead at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Ten years.
(b) A month.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty years.
14. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(b) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(c) Kissing each other.
(d) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
15. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Lieutenant Randall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
3. Which of the following is not something that Marlowe discovers is missing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
5. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)