|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(a) Platinum blonde.
2. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
(a) African Americans.
(b) An Irish gang.
(c) An Italian gang.
(d) Malloy's ex-wife and her family.
3. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(b) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(c) His bookie, Louis.
(d) His secretary, Cassandra.
4. For what reason has Marlowe been fired from a job in the past?
(b) Poor job performance.
(d) Perpetual tardiness.
5. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(b) He's not too bright.
(c) He's injured and likely to black out.
(d) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
6. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
(a) Eight thousand dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Eighty thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
7. At the end of Chapter 18, where do Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle agree to meet at ten o'clock that night?
(a) The Hotel Sans Souci.
(b) Marlowe's office.
(d) The Belevedere Club.
8. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Editor of The Chronicle.
(b) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(c) Chief of the Bay City police.
(d) Manager of the local bank.
9. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(b) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(c) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(d) He breaks in through an open window.
10. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Kissing each other.
(b) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(d) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
11. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) A large Native American named Second Planting.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
12. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
(a) She says Velma's dead.
(b) She says Velma's married.
(c) She says Velma is in a mental institution.
(d) She says Velma is in the hospital with tuberculosis.
13. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(b) A night club patron.
(c) The night club's owner.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
14. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A recently released convict.
(b) A criminal defense attorney.
(c) A professional basketball player.
(d) A police captain.
15. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) Jessie Florian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
2. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
3. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
4. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
5. What voice does Marlowe hear at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)