|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(b) Platinum blonde.
2. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(b) Dirty net curtains.
(c) A shabby rust-red rug.
(d) Half-dusted furniture.
3. Who is the former owner of radio station KDFK in Beverly Hills?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Laird Brunette.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
4. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
(a) She says Velma is in the hospital with tuberculosis.
(b) She says Velma's married.
(c) She says Velma is in a mental institution.
(d) She says Velma's dead.
5. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
(a) Mrs. Grayle is beautiful, and Mr. Grayle is ugly.
(b) Mr. Grayle has a very unpleasant personality.
(c) Mrs. Grayle has innumerable jewels and furs.
(d) Mr. Grayle is a lot older than his beautiful wife.
6. The thieves order Lindsay Marriott and his lady friend not to tell _________________about the theft.
(a) The woman's attorney.
(b) The woman's wealthy husband.
(c) The woman's jeweler.
(d) The police or the woman's insurance company.
7. How old is Anne Riordan?
(a) Thirty- five.
(d) Twenty- eight.
8. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Editor of The Chronicle.
(b) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(c) Manager of the local bank.
(d) Chief of the Bay City police.
9. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
(a) Old letters Moose Malloy sent Velma from prison.
(b) Old newspaper articles about Malloy's bank robbery.
(c) Bribe money.
(d) Pictures of people who used to work at Florian's.
10. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
(a) Eight thousand dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Eighty thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
11. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(b) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
(c) He's injured and likely to black out.
(d) He's not too bright.
12. Where does Anne Riordan want Marlowe to go for a drink at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Grayle's house.
(c) Her house.
(d) A bar named Escondido's.
13. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A clown costume.
(c) A ballerina costume.
(d) An angel costume.
14. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(b) With sugar only.
(c) With cream only.
(d) With sugar and cream.
15. As the novel opens, who is Marlowe trying to find?
(a) A missing schoolteacher named Leigh Jordan.
(b) A missing barber named Dimitrios Aleidis.
(c) His secretary, Cassandra.
(d) His bookie, Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
2. Who is Giddy Gertie?
3. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
4. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)