|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's not too bright.
(b) He's injured and likely to black out.
(c) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(d) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
2. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(b) A registered letter.
(c) A male visitor.
(d) A bouquet of roses.
3. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To spy on his neighbors for him.
(b) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
(c) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
(d) To find out who is trying to kill him.
4. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(b) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(c) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(d) On her front porch in a rocker.
5. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Go home to sleep.
(b) Go by himself to the police station.
(c) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(d) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 15, whose office does Marlowe phone for an appointment?
(a) Jules Amthor's.
(b) Anne Riordan's.
(c) Mr. Grayle's.
(d) Lieutenant Randall's.
7. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A syringe filled with poison.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) An antique sword.
8. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Iced water.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Rubbing alcohol.
9. Who took the Russian cigarettes with the paper mouthpieces from Lindsay Marriott's dead body?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Lieutenant Randall.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
10. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(b) A shabby rust-red rug.
(c) Dirty net curtains.
(d) Half-dusted furniture.
11. To what place do Marlowe and Marriott go to meet the thieves in Chapter 9?
(a) Santa Monica Boulevard.
(b) Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(d) Purissima Canyon.
12. What rests atop Lindsay Marriott's piano?
(a) A framed photo of Marriott.
(b) A silver vase on a strip of peach-colored velvet.
(c) A white porcelain cat.
(d) A crystal bowl filled with potpourri.
13. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his ex-wife.
(b) She is his girlfriend.
(c) She is his stepsister.
(d) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
14. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(b) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(c) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(d) Marlowe's landlord.
15. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Jessie Florian.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
2. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
3. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. How long has Malloy been in prison?
5. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)