|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lindsay Marriott want to hire Philip Marlowe?
(a) To return the stolen jewels to the bank vault.
(b) To find out who is trying to kill him.
(c) To accompany him to the meeting with the jewel thieves.
(d) To spy on his neighbors for him.
2. Where does Lindsay Marriott hide when Marlowe drives him to meet the thieves?
(a) In the trunk of the car.
(b) In a closet.
(c) In the back seat of the car.
(d) Behind some rose bushes outside the meeting place.
3. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(a) His own business card.
(b) Coded messages.
(d) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
4. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
(a) Wearing a grey sports coat with white golf ball buttons.
(b) In perpetual need of a shave.
(c) Six foot five inches tall and not wider than a beer truck.
(d) Bald with thick black spectacles.
5. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
(a) Black coffee.
(c) Apple juice.
(d) A pint of bourbon.
6. What does Marlowe prefer to do rather than go with Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Search for Marlowe's killers.
(b) Go home to sleep.
(c) Go by himself to the police station.
(d) Go to the doctor for his head injury.
7. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(b) Marlowe's landlord.
(c) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(d) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
8. How long has Malloy been in prison?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Six months.
9. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The revolver in the person's hand.
(b) The person's bloody face.
(c) The person's bad smell.
(d) The person's black eye.
10. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
(a) The night club's bouncer.
(b) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(c) A man flirting with Little Velma.
(d) A policeman.
11. To what place do Marlowe and Marriott go to meet the thieves in Chapter 9?
(b) Purissima Canyon.
(c) Mrs. Grayle's mansion.
(d) Santa Monica Boulevard.
12. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
(a) He knocks the man out.
(b) He fires the bouncer.
(c) He gives the bouncer a very small tip.
(d) He gives the bouncer a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.
13. Who is parked outside the gate waiting for Marlowe when he leaves the Grayle estate at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Jessie Florian.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Moose Malloy.
(d) Lieutenant Nulty.
14. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
(a) The night club's bouncer.
(b) A waitress named Vivian.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
15. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The District Attorney's office.
(b) The police chief's office.
(c) The governor's office.
(d) The IRS office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has taken over the ownership and patronage of Florian's since Malloy's last visit there?
2. What does Jessie Florian say has happened to Velma?
3. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
4. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
5. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)