|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A large cabinet radio.
(b) A dining room table.
(c) A bed.
(d) A green sofa.
2. What does Lindsay Mariott tell Marlowe was stolen from a wealthy lady friend of his a few days ago?
(a) A mink stole.
(b) A diamond bracelet.
(c) A ruby pendant.
(d) A Fei Tsui jade necklace.
3. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
(b) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(c) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(d) On her front porch in a rocker.
4. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The revolver in the person's hand.
(b) The person's bad smell.
(c) The person's black eye.
(d) The person's bloody face.
5. What does Anne Riordan suspect about the three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
(a) They contain the murderer's DNA.
(b) Finding where they were bought will lead to the killer.
(c) They contain the murderer's fingerprints.
(d) They're marijuana rather than tobacco.
6. How much money do the thieves want as ransom for the stolen item?
(a) Eight thousand dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty thousand dollars.
7. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
(a) He gives the bouncer a very small tip.
(b) He fires the bouncer.
(c) He gives the bouncer a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.
(d) He knocks the man out.
8. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(b) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
(c) She was driving alone on the highway.
(d) Her name.
9. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) Marlowe's landlord.
(b) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(c) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(d) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
10. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(b) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(c) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(d) He breaks in through an open window.
11. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
(a) Coded messages.
(b) Business cards for Jules Amthor, a psychic consultant.
(c) His own business card.
12. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
(a) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A man flirting with Little Velma.
(d) The night club's bouncer.
13. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) The night club's owner.
(b) A night club patron.
(c) Philip Marlowe.
(d) A policeman trying to arrest him.
14. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Morrison.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Moose Malloy.
15. In Chapter 20, how much does Marlowe tell his visitor that it will cost for Marlowe to accompany the person to his employer's home?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
2. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
3. Who does Jessie Florian claim has died of a chest cold in Dalhart, Texas?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)