|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Lindsay Marriott phone Marlowe?
(a) He tells Marlowe he knows where Velma and Malloy are.
(b) He wants to invite Marlowe to dinner.
(c) He wants to hire Marlowe for a job.
(d) He warns Marlowe to stop asking questions about Velma.
2. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
(a) Old newspaper articles about Malloy's bank robbery.
(b) Pictures of people who used to work at Florian's.
(c) Old letters Moose Malloy sent Velma from prison.
(d) Bribe money.
3. Anne Riordan tells Marlowe that the owner of the stolen jade necklace is ______________.
(a) Jules Amthor.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Jessie Florian.
4. Who is Moose Malloy, the man Marlowe meets outside Florian's night club?
(a) A recently released convict.
(b) A police captain.
(c) A criminal defense attorney.
(d) A professional basketball player.
5. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
(c) Robbing a bank.
(d) Driving while intoxicated.
6. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
(b) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(c) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(d) Kissing each other.
7. What does Jessie Florian say her relationship is to Lindsay Marriott?
(a) She is his former employee and used to work for his family.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his girlfriend.
(d) She is his stepsister.
8. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
(b) He breaks in through an open window.
(c) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(d) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
9. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Lieutant Randall.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) The Grayle butler.
10. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) She was driving alone on the highway.
(b) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
(c) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(d) Her name.
11. Who is parked outside the gate waiting for Marlowe when he leaves the Grayle estate at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Moose Malloy.
12. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The District Attorney's office.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The IRS office.
(d) The police chief's office.
13. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
(a) An expensive and well-polished mahogany desk.
(b) Half-dusted furniture.
(c) Dirty net curtains.
(d) A shabby rust-red rug.
14. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
(a) A waiter named Ernest.
(b) A piano player named Dave.
(c) A singer named Louise.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
15. What is Philip Marlowe's profession?
(a) He's an accountant.
(b) He's a college professor.
(c) He's a private detective.
(d) He's a musician.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Anne Riordan?
2. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Lindsay Marriott?
4. In Chapter 11, where does Marlowe find three mysterious Russian cigarettes?
5. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)