|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
(a) He knocks the man out.
(b) He fires the bouncer.
(c) He gives the bouncer a very small tip.
(d) He gives the bouncer a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.
2. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) The society editor of The Chronicle.
(b) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(c) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(d) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
3. In what office did Marlowe once work?
(a) The IRS office.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The police chief's office.
(d) The District Attorney's office.
4. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
(a) Lieutenant Randall.
(b) Mrs. Grayle.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) Mr. Grayle.
5. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(b) On her front porch in a rocker.
(c) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(d) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
6. What does Anne Riordan do for a living?
(a) She's a paleontologist.
(b) She is a kindergarten teacher.
(c) She's an opera singer.
(d) She writes feature articles.
7. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
(a) Platinum blonde.
8. What does Marlowe do once he and Marriott reach the place where they are to meet the thieves?
(a) He hides behind a tree to observe the thieves.
(b) He sets up a tape recorder to record the meeting.
(c) He leaves Marriott in the car to go on foot to investigate.
(d) He loads his gun with bullets for protection.
9. What is Mrs. Morrison's relationship with Jessie Florian?
(a) She's Jessie Florian's cousin.
(b) She's Jessie Florian's sister.
(c) She's Jessie Florian's best friend.
(d) She's Jessie Florian's nosy next door neighbor.
10. Who employs the person waiting for Marlowe upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) Mr. Grayle.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) Jules Amthor, the psychic consultant.
(d) Anne Riordan.
11. Who phones Marlowe at the end of Chapter 17 asking him to come to the Grayle mansion within an hour?
(a) Mrs. Grayle.
(b) Lieutant Randall.
(c) Anne Riordan.
(d) The Grayle butler.
12. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(a) With sugar only.
(b) With sugar and cream.
(d) With cream only.
13. How old is Anne Riordan?
(a) Thirty- five.
(c) Twenty- eight.
14. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
15. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) Marlowe's landlord.
(b) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(c) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(d) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
2. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
3. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
4. For what crime was Malloy falsely accused and sent to prison?
5. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)