|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(b) A male visitor.
(c) A registered letter.
(d) A bouquet of roses.
2. What does Malloy do to the bouncer at Florian's in Chapter 2?
(a) He fires the bouncer.
(b) He knocks the man out.
(c) He gives the bouncer a very small tip.
(d) He gives the bouncer a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.
3. Whom does Moose Malloy kill at Florian's?
(a) The night club's bouncer.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A man flirting with Little Velma.
(d) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
4. Why does Marlowe think Mrs. Grayle must have married Mr. Grayle for his money?
(a) Mr. Grayle has a very unpleasant personality.
(b) Mr. Grayle is a lot older than his beautiful wife.
(c) Mrs. Grayle has innumerable jewels and furs.
(d) Mrs. Grayle is beautiful, and Mr. Grayle is ugly.
5. What happens to Marlowe at the end of Chapter 9 once he tells Marriott it looks like the thieves aren't coming?
(a) Someone ambushes him from behind and knocks him out.
(b) He is attacked by a doberman.
(c) He trips and sprains his ankle.
(d) He is bitten by a poisonous snake.
6. What fee does Marlowe demand for accepting the job Lindsay Marriott offers him?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
7. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) She was driving alone on the highway.
(b) Her name.
(c) He flagged down her car, and she picked him up.
(d) She was driving a chevvy coupe.
8. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Anne Riordan.
(c) Jessie Florian.
(d) Mrs. Morrison.
9. What object does a woman point at Marlowe's stomach at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) An antique sword.
(b) A gun.
(c) A syringe filled with poison.
(d) A knife.
10. How does Marlowe get into Jessie Florian's house at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) He breaks in through an open window.
(b) Moose Malloy lets him into the house.
(c) Mrs. Morrison lets him in with a spare key.
(d) He lets himself into the unlocked house.
11. What is the one new piece of furniture in Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A bed.
(b) A dining room table.
(c) A large cabinet radio.
(d) A green sofa.
12. Why does Marlowe always leave the door of the little reception room leading into his office unlocked?
(a) In case he gets a client and the client wants to wait for him.
(b) The door's lock is broken, and he can't afford to get it fixed.
(c) He lets a homeless man sleep there.
(d) He forgets his key a lot, so he leaves the door unlocked.
13. How old is Anne Riordan?
(c) Twenty- eight.
(d) Thirty- five.
14. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
(a) Bald with thick black spectacles.
(b) In perpetual need of a shave.
(c) Wearing a grey sports coat with white golf ball buttons.
(d) Six foot five inches tall and not wider than a beer truck.
15. Why is Lieutenant Nulty bitter?
(a) The department only gives him low-priority cases to solve.
(b) He can't get a pay raise.
(c) He can't get a promotion.
(d) His wife has just left him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Giddy Gertie?
2. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
3. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. How long has Malloy been in prison?
5. Which of the following items is not in Marlowe's office?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)