|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Marlowe sees as he approaches Jessie Florian's home?
(a) A neatly painted white picket fence and white house.
(b) A line of yellowish half-washed clothes on a rusty wire.
(c) A dried-out brown house with a dried-out brown lawn.
(d) Last year's unpruned poinsettias against the cracked wall.
2. Who does Marlowe find waiting for him upon returning to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) A large Native American named Second Planting.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) Jessie Florian.
3. Where is Marlowe at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) At the airport.
(b) In jail.
(c) Lying on the ground.
(d) On Mrs. Grayle's sofa.
4. From what job has Anne Riordan's father been fired?
(a) Chief of the Bay City police.
(b) Manager of the local bank.
(c) Butler at the Grayle mansion.
(d) Editor of The Chronicle.
5. In Chapter 5, what beverage does Marlowe share with Jessie Florian to loosen her tongue and win her confidence?
(a) Black coffee.
(b) Apple juice.
(d) A pint of bourbon.
6. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(b) The society editor of The Chronicle.
(c) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
(d) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
7. Who carries a trust deed on Jessie Florian's home at 1644 West 54th Place?
(a) Lieutenant Nulty.
(b) Moose Malloy.
(c) Mrs. Grayle.
(d) Lindsay Marriott.
8. By whom does Marlowe tell Jessie Florian he has been hired to find Little Velma?
(a) Moose Malloy.
(b) Velma's family.
(c) Velma's attorney.
(d) The police.
9. Why does Marlowe think Malloy will be easy for the police to find?
(a) He's drunk and likely to pass out.
(b) He's not too bright.
(c) He's injured and likely to black out.
(d) He's very large and is wearing brightly colored clothes.
10. What does Mrs. Grayle tell Marlowe the robbers returned to her the night of her robbery?
(a) Her stolen purse.
(b) One of the rings they had just stolen from her.
(c) Her diamond bracelet.
(d) Her ruby pendant.
11. What does Marlowe notice about the person waiting for him upon his return to his office in Chapter 20?
(a) The person's bloody face.
(b) The person's bad smell.
(c) The revolver in the person's hand.
(d) The person's black eye.
12. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A ballerina costume.
(c) A clown costume.
(d) An angel costume.
13. In Chapter 2, whom does Moose Malloy demand to see at Florian's?
(a) A singer named Louise.
(b) A piano player named Dave.
(c) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(d) A waiter named Ernest.
14. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Kissing each other.
(b) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
(d) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
15. Which of the following does not describe Moose Malloy?
(a) Six foot five inches tall and not wider than a beer truck.
(b) Wearing a grey sports coat with white golf ball buttons.
(c) Bald with thick black spectacles.
(d) In perpetual need of a shave.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
2. What does Marlowe find hidden in the mouthpieces of Lindsay Marriott's Russian cigarettes?
3. What does Marlowe bathe his sore head with at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. Which of the following is not something that Marlowe discovers is missing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Which of the following people does not meet Marlowe at the Grayle mansion in Chapter 18?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)