|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Marlowe find Anne Riordan at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) At Florian's.
(b) At the police station.
(c) Sitting inside his car.
(d) Waiting in his unlocked reception room for him.
2. What color is Anne Riordan's hair?
(d) Platinum blonde.
3. In Chapter 4, who tells Marlowe that Mike Florian's widow Jessie is still alive?
(a) Florian's bouncer.
(b) Lieutenant Nulty.
(c) The front desk clerk at the Hotel Sans Souci.
(d) Moose Malloy.
4. What does Mrs. Morrison say that Jessie Florian receives at the first of every month?
(a) A registered letter.
(b) A telephone call from Moose Malloy.
(c) A male visitor.
(d) A bouquet of roses.
5. Where does Marlowe find Jessie Florian at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) On her front porch in a rocker.
(b) In her bed, passed out after drinking too much gin.
(c) In her garden, weeding tomatoes and carrots.
(d) At Mrs. Morrison's house.
6. What word does Jessie Florian use when she refers to a policeman?
7. How does Marlowe like his coffee?
(a) With sugar and cream.
(b) With cream only.
(c) With sugar only.
8. After Malloy flees the murder scene, who phones the police to report the murder Malloy has just committed?
(a) A waitress named Vivian.
(b) Mr. Montgomery, the night club's manager.
(d) The night club's bouncer.
9. Who is Giddy Gertie?
(a) The society editor of The Chronicle.
(b) Lindsay Marriott's ex-wife.
(c) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(d) Moose Malloy's new girlfriend.
10. Whom does Moose Malloy toss out of Florian's in Chapter 1?
(a) Philip Marlowe.
(b) A policeman trying to arrest him.
(c) The night club's owner.
(d) A night club patron.
11. Who is Stoyanoffsky?
(a) A man the police mistake for Moose Malloy and arrest in error.
(b) Jessie Florian's neighbor.
(c) A policeman investigating the Marriott murder.
(d) Marlowe's landlord.
12. In the photo that Marlowe gives Lieutenant of Little Velma, what kind of costume is Velma wearing?
(a) A clown costume.
(b) A wicked witch costume.
(c) An angel costume.
(d) A ballerina costume.
13. What does Mr. Grayle interrupt Marlowe and Mrs. Grayle doing in Chapter 18?
(a) Kissing each other.
(b) Talking with Anne Riordan about Lindsay Marriott.
(c) Loading bullets into Mrs. Grayle's gun.
(d) Phoning Lieutenant Randall about the Marriott murder.
14. Who pulls a small revolver on Marlowe in Chapter 17?
(a) Anne Riordan.
(b) Jessie Florian.
(c) Mrs. Morrison.
(d) Moose Malloy.
15. To which policeman does Marlowe give his account of what happened to Marriott in Chapter 12?
(a) Sergeant Galbraith.
(b) Chief Wax.
(c) Lieutenant Nulty.
(d) Lieutenant Randall.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is Moose Malloy searching in Chapter 1?
2. Which of the following does Marlowe not reveal to the police about Anne Riordan at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What is in the envelope that Jessie Florian gives Marlowe in Chapter 5?
4. When Mrs. Morrison describes a recent male visitor to Jessie Florian's home, Marlowe thinks the visitor is ___________.
5. What color hair does Velma have according to Malloy?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)