|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquin immediately think is happening when he returns home from his therapy session and sees a strange car in the driveway?
2. What nervous habit has Joaquin never been able to break?
3. What does Joaquin do with the "Tips for Phasing Out of Foster Care" (282) he receives from a staff member at his school?
4. What element of Maya's house do both Grace and Joaquin consider strange?
5. On what day of the week do Joaquin, Grace, and Maya pledge to meet up each week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator mean when stating that Grace feels "trapped in the amber of her pregnancy" (182)?
2. How is the theme of isolation depicted within Joaquin's reaction to his sisters' queries after his altercation with Adam?
3. How does Lauren view Maya's treatment of Claire in relation to her own relationship with Maya?
4. After Claire and Maya's break-up, Lauren asks about the origin of Maya's sunburn. What is the significance of Maya's cryptic reply that she had flown "too close to the sun" (200)?
5. How does Joaquin feel after his altercation with Adam and why?
6. When Grace muses that she is now a girl who does not "have friends anymore" (183), she makes one exception. Whom does she say is her friend?
7. What does Joaquin do when he is overcome by the feelings associated with his altercation with Adam?
8. What are the living arrangements in Maya's family after her parent's separation?
9. What are the characteristics of Lauren's communication with Claire that Maya considers unforgivable?
10. In what ways do Grace's parents try to get her engaged in life again after Peach's birth and adoption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message of Robin Benway's novel Far From the Tree concerning the link between family bonds and emotional stability?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's focus on the theme of transformation. What message is the author sending about change and about one other theme of your choice?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the characterization arc of Grace’s character throughout the novel. Discuss whether she is a round or flat character and whether she is a static or dynamic character.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)