|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old had Joaquin been when he was placed on a psychiatric hold in the mental hospital?
2. What does Grace do when Adam plays the sound in class as an act of bullying?
3. How many minutes away from Maya's house is Grace's house?
4. What sound does Grace hear coming from all four parents present in the room when Grace and Maya meet for the first time?
5. What is the subject header of the very first email Maya ever receives from Grace and is followed by a question mark within the subject line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What simile does the narrator use to depict the careful way in which Grace's father tells her that she has biological siblings?
2. What causes Grace to lie to Maya and Joaquin about her lengthy absence from school?
3. What quality of Maya and Grace's appearance had Joaquin known to expect even before meeting them for the first time?
4. What is the origin of Peach's nickname?
5. What lie does Grace tell Maya and Joaquin about her lengthy absence from school?
6. How does Joaquin respond to the teacher's aide's request of him at Christmastime?
7. How does the author demonstrate the difference between Grace's high school days before Peach and her experiences at school after Peach's birth?
8. How does Grace spend homecoming night of her junior year, and how does the night differ from her previous expectations?
9. How is the theme of responsibility depicted in Maya's relationship with her sister Lauren?
10. What two aspects of Maya's own identity does she think about during her long sleepless night after meeting Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sensory details are used frequently by the author in order to create vivid pictures of each sibling's character and progression through the narrative. Choose three scenes in which sensory details are heavily used and discuss how the sensory details used by the author set a particular mood for each of the three scenes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's message regarding motherhood and what themes does the author employ in order to send these messages to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How is the topic of biological ties treated within the novel and how does its treatment relate to the book's depicted messages?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)