|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mark and Linda ask Joaquin for the second time about his possible adoption, what is his reply?
(a) He says he is still thinking.
(b) He says he has decided that he does want them to adopt him.
(c) He says he feels disloyal to his biological parents.
(d) He says he is leaning toward the adoption.
2. What is Grace's response when her mother asks about the boy she has been seen hanging out with?
(a) She says that she is in love with Rafe.
(b) She says that she is interested in Rafe but her interest is not returned.
(c) She says that Rafe is interested in her but his interest is not returned.
(d) She says that she and Rafe are just friends.
3. What element of Maya's house do both Grace and Joaquin consider strange?
(a) The wall of family photos lining the staircase.
(b) The carpeted walls.
(c) The color of the house.
(d) The shabby kitchen.
4. To which of her siblings does Maya feel the closest?
5. Where does Maya's mother go directly from the hospital?
(a) To a bar.
(b) To Maya's dad's new apartment.
(d) To a rehab facility.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room does Lauren find her mother unconscious and bleeding from the head?
2. What news does Joaquin deliver at the diner that causes Maya to choke on her cookie?
3. What does Joaquin do with the "Tips for Phasing Out of Foster Care" (282) he receives from a staff member at his school?
4. After a lengthy report of the struggles Grace has been having, the narrator states "one thing" (181), however, that she does know. What is that one thing?
5. What order does Maya give Claire before storming off after their post-break-up fight at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rafe's family situation?
2. What reasons does Joaquin provide when he tells Grace and Maya that he told Mark and Linda he did not want them to adopt him?
3. What word does Maya's dad use in reference to Maya's birth mother that infuriates Maya?
4. For what transgression does Maya blame Claire for an extended period of time near the end of the couple's relationship and why?
5. What are the living arrangements in Maya's family after her parent's separation?
6. What does Joaquin view as ironic about everyone making college plans around him at school?
7. How does Joaquin feel after his altercation with Adam and why?
8. In what ways do Grace's parents try to get her engaged in life again after Peach's birth and adoption?
9. What does the narrator mean when stating that Grace feels "trapped in the amber of her pregnancy" (182)?
10. What lie does Joaquin tell Mark and Linda about his recent visits with Ana, his therapist?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)